> Printer-friendly page
2013 Race Around Waltham Series after 7 of 9 Events
Waltham, MA, October 8, 2013
by Tim Irving
The 2013 Race Around Waltham (RAW) Series is the coordination of nine charitable road races ranging from 3.1 to 4 miles, starting and finishing in Waltham, MA. Participants who run, walk or volunteer (any combination) in five of the races earn prizes, and those who run six or more races earn a RAW Series jacket, and city bragging rights. The goal of the Series is to promote a healthy lifestyle, increase participation in Waltham’s running events, and foster community involvement. The 2013 RAW Series participating races are scheduled from March through November requiring a nine-month fitness commitment.
RAW Series Rules: Individuals or teams of runners, walkers and volunteers of all ages and abilities are encouraged to participate in the RAW Series. To be scored and eligible for Series benefits, you need to register for the Series by filling out the application available at the events. To participate, you need to run, walk or volunteer (any combination) in at least five events to qualify for a Series shirt; six events for a jacket, and eight or more to qualify for additional swag. At least one of your events must be a trail run (Prospect Bandit Run or Western Greenway 5K). And if, for example, a runner is injured, he/she can volunteer for a race instead of running, and thereby still qualify for participation prizes.
Scoring: The top overall 20 places for men and women are determined by a place/point scoring system based on overall race results. At the end of the series, the participant with the best six overall scores for completing the events will be declared the winner. Everyone of any age is eligible to score.
2013 RAW Series Races
* Shifter’s 5K to benefit the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge – March 30, www.Shifters5K.com
* JB Blastoff 5K to benefit American Brain Tumor Association – April 6, http://www.jbblastoff.com
* Moody Street 5K to benefit Waltham public secondary schools – May 5, www.moodyst5K.com
* Saint Jude School 5K Road Race and Family Fun Walk - St. Jude School - June 1, http://saintjudewaltham.com/
* Tailgate Trot 4 Mile – 4Miles for 4 Reasons for Michael to benefit Alzheimer’s Association, American Cancer Society, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Joslin Diabetes Center High Hopes Fund – June 8, http://tailgatetrot.com
* Prospect Bandit Run, 5K trail run to benefit Waltham Track Club and the RAW Series, September 7,http://rawseries.weebly.com/
* Western Greenway 5K to benefit the Waltham Land Trust and the RAW Series – October 5, http://rawseries.weebly.com/
* Trick or Treat Trot 5K to benefit the Guild For Human Services – October 26, www.theguildschool.org
* Piggy’s 5K Run to benefit Paul Logue Charitable Fund, November 16 – http://www.piggysrun.com
Benefits of participating in the RAW Series:
* Swag will be given to all athletes who complete or volunteer at 5 or more events, with extra additional special awards (gender specific - RAW Series Jacket or long sleeve shirt) for anyone who completes six-race events and a nine event challenge award on top of it all.
* Several reserved VIP parking spots for RAW Series participants will be offered at each event
* Key and bag watch for RAW Series participants at each event
* Three local food pantries benefit from non-perishable donations collected at the events.
On the web at http://rawseries.weebly.com/, Like us on facebook at “Race Around Waltham” or follow us on Twitter @RAWseries