Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Currenscontendere

What the...? Chuck has started a trend

Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic     Topic closed
Thread Closed  Topic Closed
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What the...? Chuck has started a trend
KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 01:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://www.marathonguide.com/news/newsviewer.cfm?src=http%3A%2F%2Fslam%2Ecanoe%2Eca%2FSlam%2FOtherSports%2F2006%2F07%2F18%2F1691090%2Dcp%2Ehtml

IP: Logged

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 01:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm surprised at how there are several people that run a LOT of marathons in a year. I used to think I was excessive at 5-8/year but guys like Chuck, srlopez, crunningman, and this Rauschenberg guy put me to shame, especially if they're flying all over the country to do one every dang weekend. I know crunningman did several in training for his 100 miler which makes sense, but it's still a lot of travel plus racing - I don't know if I could do it all! And I KNOW what my wife would have to say if I said I wanted to do 20-30 in a year!

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Chuck and srlopez put me to shame.
I've run 7 this year:
Last Chance for Boston
Glass City
Boston
Kentucky Derby
Flying Pig
Lake Geneva
Sunburst
Plus the 70 Miler (1 week after Sunburst).

I'm looking to top out at 12 by the end of the year if recovery goes well after the 100. That would double any year since I've been running them.

I highly doubt I would do more than 12 in a given year with the ultra events I want to do in the future. And yes Chris, my wife would have my hide if I ran any more. She has really given me freedom this year to chase my dreams .

I will say what Chuck and srlopez do on a weekly basis is incredible regardless of pace. The travel, mental/physical aspect of the race, etc.

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 03:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Craig,
I like how nonchalantly you threw in the "Plus the 70 miler" - c'mon man, give yourself some credit!

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 04:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PacerChris:
Craig,
I like how nonchalantly you threw in the "Plus the 70 miler" - c'mon man, give yourself some credit!

ok! It was one week after running 3:05 @ Sunburst.

srlopez
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 05:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for srlopez     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
FWIW, there are several Maniacs who fly under the radar because they don't make their presence known (or have sponsorships like Dane and Chuck)... yet they run 40+ marathons a year. Many of these guys and gals are faster than Dane, though not as fast as Chuck, and certainly not as fast as those whose exploits are discussed in CW a lot.

What's cool about the under-the-radar guys and gals is that many of them have been doing it for quite a few years. Steve Yee is a great example. As well as being a great club president.

So I wouldn't say that Chuck started the trend . Though he certainly has inspired some people, and that's cool.

One thing about all these folks is that they are real people with real stories and are (usually) nice in person.

jaysoffian
Cool Runner
posted Jul-22-2006 08:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jaysoffian     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Don't forget about the 50 (marathons) in 50 (states) in 50 (days) guy:

http://www.50in50in50.com/

j.

danerunsalot
posted Jul-24-2006 09:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for danerunsalot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"FWIW, there are several Maniacs who fly under the radar because they don't make their presence known (or have sponsorships like Dane and Chuck)... yet they run 40+ marathons a year. Many of these guys and gals are faster than Dane, though not as fast as Chuck, and certainly not as fast as those whose exploits are discussed in CW a lot."

Thought I would sound off a smidgen here.

1. I think it is awesome that there are people that are flying under the radar running these many marathons. That is wonderful. But since I am trying to raise money for charity, "flying under the radar" would be rather counterproductive.

2. New to marathoning, I am sure there are many people faster than me. Like I have said, I am just normal guy running a marathon every single weekend (without fail) while I work a normal job, at the same time as fundraising. If there are people out there faster than me, excellent! I would really like to meet them and learn some secrets on how to be faster. as it is, I have a goal where I cannot miss a single weekend or the entire organization falls on its face and some wonderful people won't get all the money I have wokred hard for. So springing down the final stretch so I can have a better time that week doesn't make any sense. and I have to also add I am hardly a sloiuch either with my times.

3. While there are "sponsors", there is NOTHING like you are thinking. I pay for all my hotels, all my own airfare and everything else the rest of you pay for. Sure I have a few shoes thrown my way or some wonderful pasta provided by a local restaurant, but everything else is all done on my dime. To me that is something I needed to make absolutely clear.

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2006 09:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Danerunsalot,
I'm certainly impressed with your efforts. I doubt srlopez was implying anything negative about your running at all - I've not met him but he doesn't strike me as that type at all. I think he was just pointing out that there are several folks who do this sort of thing and regardless of their speed it's impressive.

You Maniac types sure make me feel like a slacker, only doing 7-8 a year (though I'm shooting for 10+ this year - don't tell my wife though!)

Keep it up!
Chris

srlopez
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2006 11:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for srlopez     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was not implying anything negative about Dane at all. I was stating that some people do a lot w/o all the press. I agree that if one is doing it for charity, then one needs visibility. That's a fine thing (and, really, a necessary thing).

No need to sound off... "against" me, at least. We're on the same side. In fact, most (if not basically all) people are on your side.

EDITed to add: Dane... BTW, the only reason that I brought speed up... the *only* reason... was contextual - based on which group this got posted in, and previous discussions about Chuck. You are faster than I am. Most people are. I look up to all the 'faster folks', of which I consider you to be one. As I do w/ Steve and Chuck. And all have been nice to the slower types like me. That's cool.

And I brought up 'sponsorship' because YOUR page talks about seeking sponsors. Which is a fine thing. I brought it up as a statement of fact, not a judgment.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by srlopez (edited Jul-24-2006).]

La Tortuga
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2006 11:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for La Tortuga     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What do you mean just started a trend - Chuck Taylors have been around since 1908. "As a matter of fact, 60% of all Americans own or have owned at least one pair of these sneakers!"

http://chucksconnection.com/history1.html

La Tortuga
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2006 12:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for La Tortuga     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oops - sorry - I really should have read the article first.

Carry on...

randymar
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2006 03:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for randymar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I didn't read the article either but I think, you're okay.

I see "marathon" "slam" "othersports" in the link.

Sounds pretty punk rock to me, and what says punk rock more than a pair of black Chucks?

------------------
Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.

400 Beers

danerunsalot
posted Jul-24-2006 04:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for danerunsalot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
srlopez,

Never said I was sounding off "against" you but rather sounding off. I didn't use the word against.

Plus, yes I am "seeking" sponsorship all the time. Wish "seeking" and "having" were one in the same!

And you seem like good people srlopez, so I have nothing against you. Too bad Barrie Shepley (in the article that started this thread) thinks I am bad for the sport of marathoning! Hopefully he was quoted out of context (has happened to me plenty of times this year).

hopper3011
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2006 06:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hopper3011   Click Here to Email hopper3011     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
While there are "sponsors", there is NOTHING like you are thinking. I pay for all my hotels, all my own airfare and everything else the rest of you pay for.
Would it be terribly non-PC of me to point out that you could just have written a cheque equivalent to that amount to the charity of your choice and spend less time advising everybody of the truly altruistic nature of your exploits? Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if you couldn't run around telling everyone what a great guy you are, would it?
As a by-product of the donating money strategy, you wouldn't have to post on message boards which are supposed to be restricted to people who don't look at running as a money grubbing opportunity for charities, but as a sport to be enjoyed for its own sake.

danerunsalot
posted Jul-25-2006 10:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for danerunsalot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hopper3011:
[QUOTE]While there are "sponsors", there is NOTHING like you are thinking. I pay for all my hotels, all my own airfare and everything else the rest of you pay for.
Would it be terribly non-PC of me to point out that you could just have written a cheque equivalent to that amount to the charity of your choice and spend less time advising everybody of the truly altruistic nature of your exploits? Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if you couldn't run around telling everyone what a great guy you are, would it?
As a by-product of the donating money strategy, you wouldn't have to post on message boards which are supposed to be restricted to people who don't look at running as a money grubbing opportunity for charities, but as a sport to be enjoyed for its own sake.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I decided to run 52 marathons first and when I decided that I also wanted to do something for other people added L'Arche Mobile as the beneficiary of the endeavor a few months into the planning.

The idea of writing a check for the amount I have spent has crossed my mind indeed this far into the endeavor. If I had done more research into the cost this would take I may have done so. but I would have never guessed that airline prices would jump so high in the course of a year. Nor did I realize that it would be so hard to get corporations to assist in this project. But as I mentioned, the idea to run came first (as I enjoy the thril and the exercise) and the idea to help came second out of my desire to assist others.

Now to turn to your snide comments. I find it highly hilarious that you mention these boards as a place to steer free of those who do not see running as a "money grubbing opportunity for charities". How dare anyone try to use what they have in order to assist those in need. *intense sarcasm* intended. Feel free to search the boards and you will see this is the only place I have ever posted and it was only to clarify somethg with sr lopez (when borugght to my attention by someone else), which has been done and all is well in that category.

Second, and more ironically hilarious is your quote regarding me spending "less time advising everybody of the truly altruistic nature of your exploits" and saying how I have to tout myself as such a great guy when YOU yourself posted in another thread

and I quote once again:

"Funnily enough, I was in Southern Africa doing my bit to undo some of the damage caused by the putrid buboes who run the multi-national drug cartels, not much internet availability in most of those places.
I guess a super special "scientific expert" like you probably feel pretty superior to a guy who spends his time with a shovel, helping poor people build houses?"

I am a relatively nice guy, Mr. Hopper, but you, dear sir, may kiss my ass.

The internet is a big place. If you don't like reading this one little thread, rumor has it there are a few other webpages out there. That is, if you can find the time when you are not altruistically fighting the good fight in Southern Africa shovel in hand.

Runners are a good lot, 99% of the time. Thank you for doing your part to compromise the 1%.

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2006 10:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Without copying his entire post to Hopper, I will simply say this - I like this Dane guy...

hopper3011
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2006 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hopper3011   Click Here to Email hopper3011     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
I find it highly hilarious that you mention these boards as a place to steer free of those who do not see running as a "money grubbing opportunity for charities".
I think that a little more time spent reading the posts to which you are replying, and a little less time in self-righteous indignation is called for. I made no mention of "these boards", just this board in particular. Perhaps it didn't register on the way in, but this is the Competitive Wire. Had you posted in Mainstream Racing, or any of the other divisions on this site, I would have said "well done" and moved on. Wrong subject, wrong place.
You choose to post here - I point out that you're in the wrong place - you start crying.
quote:
The internet is a big place.
So why not post in an appropriate area - you are clearly in the wrong, however much of a great bloke you think you are.
quote:
saying how I have to tout myself as such a great guy when YOU yourself posted in another thread ...
Where exactly does my response to Andy's asking me where I'd been for the last six months make the claim that I'm an altruist, or that I'm doing anything which involves charity or anything else - he asked, I answered. You choose to see it as a boast, unfortunately - for your assumptions - it's my profession, one that pays bloody well if you factor in the hazard pay. As much as I rag on Andy, he and I do very similar jobs, we make a good living and help people at the same time.
Sorry, but I'm not the person turning what used to be a great sport into a charityfest, begging for money from friends and neighbours (and complete strangers via the internet) in exchange for what is truly a pretty ordinary "feat". Face facts, what you are doing is not extraordinary, you just feel the need for a little applause in your life. Not unlike the other thread, there is a lot of hypocrisy in your stance. If you were truly interested in using "what they have" to help, you'd spend your weekends at a soup kitchen, or helping underpriviledged kids to learn to read. Not much applause for those activities though, is there? So yes, in terms of your activities, I do "dare" to suggest that you are a self-aggrandising publicity hound. There isn't much to suggest you aren't.
Feel free to tell me to kiss your arse again if you like, you really don't have that strong of a defence so I suppose it's all you've got. The only thing is, I'd have to be behind you to kiss your arse, and I don't see that happening!

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2006 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danerunsalot:
Thank you for doing your part to compromise the 1%.

I think he means comprise. Not sure though. I was once in a compromising position that was comprised of four gorgeous women.

hopper3011
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2006 12:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hopper3011   Click Here to Email hopper3011     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Do tell? It's got to be more interesting than this conversation (and from an athletic point of view, certainly more elite than any of the "feats" under discussion).

danerunsalot
posted Jul-25-2006 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for danerunsalot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon2:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by danerunsalot:
[b] Thank you for doing your part to compromise the 1%.

I think he means comprise. Not sure though. I was once in a compromising position that was comprised of four gorgeous women.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I did. It was a typo. I was in awe of Hopper's impressive marathoning abilities and ability to complete skirt every point made that I used the wrong word.

Well Hopper, since you wish to play semantics, you did say message ďboardsĒ. I simply posted a response to something already posted. Perhaps you missed that point I made. Guess it didnít fit your argument, so you ignored it. As far as competitive, I race as hard as I can every week. I make no apologies for my speed and if you wish to beat me, then my list of races in published. Come and beat me. Until then, keep typing away behind the safety and anonymity of your keyboard. My times are posted; let's see yours.

As you are as apparently as dense as you are stubborn (I was warned that trying to speak with you would turn into an argument where you needed to have the last word) I will reiterate. I replied where the post was. I donít think replying elsewhere would make much sense would it? By the way, in case the tone was missed, that was rhetorical. Which means, even though there is a question mark, you neednít reply as the answer is self-evident.
Thought I would help.

Finally, I donít care what your job is. Nor what it pays for that matter (And what the hell does that have to do with anything? Is that a Competitive topic? I didnít see that in the posts.) As I didnít do any research on you or your occupation (neither which matter for the point I made) I only saw that you played the bleeding heart card far more than I ever did.

You are right. This is SO an ordinary feat. Therefore, in order to make it far more difficult, perhaps you could tell me your training plan for when you ran 29 marathons in 29 weeks so I can learn how to run faster. What? You havenít done that? But, why? I mean, it is so ordinary, right? I think Oprah did it once, didnít she?

And since you have no idea what I do with the other 5 days of the week, you have no idea what else I do for this charity. In ADDITION, as I stated before, but apparently you felt no need to read, helping the charity was a cause that came along AFTER the planning to run 52 in 52 started. Only then did I realize publicity was needed to not only raise money but awareness for a group of individuals that may not receive the attention they so richly deserve. If you see this as me being a publicity hound you will have to let me know what the view is like from deep inside your ass. It would be interesting to hear the description.

And as those who warned me were correct about the idiocy of Mr. Hopper, I will let him respond all he wants. I have an ordinary feat to go accomplish.

hopper3011
Cool Runner
posted Jul-26-2006 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hopper3011   Click Here to Email hopper3011     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Therefore, in order to make it far more difficult, perhaps you could tell me your training plan for when you ran 29 marathons in 29 weeks so I can learn how to run faster.
When I was getting ready for a marathon last year, I ran 4 marathons a week for 15 weeks (before you start raging about me boasting again, I should point out that there are people who post here who run 5 or 6 marathons a week). That's how you get faster.

hopper3011
Cool Runner
posted Jul-26-2006 10:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hopper3011   Click Here to Email hopper3011     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Well Hopper, since you wish to play semantics, you did say message ďboardsĒ.
Oh goody, I love to play semantics. What I said was :
quote:
you wouldn't have to post on message boards which are supposed to be restricted ...
Nothing there says "these message boards", the Competitive Wire is the only one on this site with the restriction (there are other boards, just not on this site). I'm sorry if a little simple English confuses you, I do hope you're not collecting money for a literacy project?

fredurie
Cool Runner
posted Jul-26-2006 12:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fredurie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"The most marathons Stanton has ever run in a year is five and he is still running them at age 58. He says Rauschenberg's risk of injury will increase in the second half of his campaign."

John Stanton doesn't know crap about running.

Good luck buddy. I thought this was Dane Kamikazi, but I guess I had the
wrong maniac.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/13/news/story07.html

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum30/HTML/001368.shtml

[This message has been edited by fredurie (edited Jul-26-2006).]

fredurie
Cool Runner
posted Jul-26-2006 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fredurie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's message boreds.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic     Topic closed
Administrative Options: > Open Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: