Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Click for more info
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Currenscontendere

calf strain

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   calf strain
mainers
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 04:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mainers   Click Here to Email mainers     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
have posted this in the injury section too, just wondered if anyone else could give me any insight

I strained my left calf following an ill conceived mile race i ran in spikes two weeks ago. calf was sore after the race but carried on training for a few days but then had to stop while out on a run and haven't run for a week now.

have been icing it regularly and taking ibuprofene and it is definitely less sore now. can't feel it while i am walking around and not sore to touch but tried to jog on it last night and could feel it immediately so stopped

can I cross train with this type of injury? it's a new one on me. i figure biking and swimming wouldn't hurt as the calf only hurts when i put weight through it running but i don't want to delay recovery.

would complete rest (which will drive me insane!) lead to a faster recovery than just resting from running and doing some biking and swimming instead?

wanted to canvas opinion before i went to the doc's

IP: Logged

tangel
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 03:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tangel   Click Here to Email tangel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I tore my calf muscle last August during a 12 mile run. It stopped me dead in my tracks. At the time, I thought I had developed a charlie horse and so I pushed through the pain and ran home. Iced it, took motrin and tried running the next day. It hurt like hell, so I took a week off. Tried to run again and still it hurt. Took more time off, crossed trained in the pool and on my bike, used the Stick for self massage, saw my doctor, a physical therapist, and an acupuncturist. But nothing worked. Every time I tried building my mileage, my calf blew out again.

After 4 months of on-again, off-again running, someone suggested that I see a massage therapist for deep tissue massage. I started the first week in January and went twice a week for months. Within a week of going, I was able to run again without pain. In April, I ran Boston and just finished RnR on Sunday. I still go to massage therapy once a week and feel great.

Here's a great article on this injury: http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_%20Heart_%20Attack.htm

Long story short: go get a deep tissue massage.

mainers
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 05:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mainers   Click Here to Email mainers     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thanks tangel I was definitely planning to incorporate more massages into my schedule anyway as whenever I get an injury it seems to be related to my stiff and inflexible calves/achilles

one question though. would it be better to let the injury heal on itself for a few more days and then get the massage or just go and get it now to speed up the recovery process? could a massage now aggravate the injury further?

thanks

sue
Cool Runner
posted Jun-11-2006 10:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sue   Click Here to Email sue     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
if it's a strain you should be alright and take a few more days and the deep tissue should be okay.

if it's a tear (and by now you'd would see bruising or a lump), I'd probably would see a doc or PT before a massage therapist.....you would still need massage with a tear, but it'd have to be gentle. the problem with not running and using that muscle with a tear is scar tissue. I ran through my hamstring tear and had phsical therapy, massage therapy, it's been a year and half. I saw a massage therapist 2 weeks ago, the day before my marathon that said "I feel some scar tissue in your hamstring, you need that broken up or you keep tearing your muscle". I'm a little ticked that my physical therapist or my regular massage therapist never brought this (the scarring) to my attention. I'm now nursing some type of pull/strain of my hamstring right next to my original injury.

I guess my suggestion is to cross-train until you get a diagnosis, you need to have blood flow to the injury.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: