Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: hup, , , crunningman

A BQ at the Maine Marathon

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   A BQ at the Maine Marathon
bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-09-2007 01:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had no concerns this year with the weather as reports had called for rain late Saturday night and clearing for Sunday’s Marathon. I was however quite concerned for some of my friends and all of my fellow runners that were preparing to run the Chicago Marathon in what appeared to be extremely high temperatures.

My goals for this race were:

1 – To finish healthy so that I can enjoy the New York Marathon on November 4.
2 – To get another BQ so that I don’t have to worry for two more years.
3 – To better my course PR of 3:32:40.
4 – To better my marathon PR of 3:26:49.
5 – To run a 3:20:00 marathon.

For those who don’t wish to read the full report I succeeded in the first three should have done all … no excuses…but I’m happy and will prepare for New York now.

When I woke up at 4:30 and went downstairs for breakfast, I took a quick look outside and could see that it had indeed rained pretty good overnight (I had heard it during the night as well) but could see that it was trying to clear up. I also took a quick look on-line at intellicast.com and their radar and could see the clearing headed our way and the temperature was 54 degrees. So I didn’t concern myself much more about it and toasted a wheat bagel and put some peanut butter on it for breakfast with a glass of OJ and a glass of chocolate milk.

This year I was riding in with my friend Joel and my wife was going to meet me at about mile 20 with a fresh bottle of Gatorade. I donned my orange Adidda’s Boston shirt and my black and orange Boston shorts, my 2006 Boston runners’ hat, white socks and a pair of Asics running shoes. I made sure I had my race number pinned on, my timing chip around my left ankle and my Garmin 305 and Heart Rate Strap in my bag along with a change of clothes and a clean towel to use at the USM Gym for the post race shower.

Joel stopped by to pick me up right on schedule at about 6:15 and we headed to Portland. We arrived at about 7:00 and were able to find a nice parking spot about one minutes walk to the start right where we parked last year. We waited for Wendi one of my co-workers wives to arrive so that she could pick up her race packet which I had gotten for her. Then I headed out for my routine visit to the porta potty, the massage tent and my warm-up. I positioned myself just a bit nearer to the front this year took my first gu and last drink of water about 10 minutes prior to the start of the race.

After the routine announcements which included the fact that a group of Army National Guard soldiers headed out earlier and were humping the marathon route in memory of their fallen comrades. The singing of the National Anthem took place and as usual boom no warning the gun sounds and we are off and running.

The rabbits were passing me left and right and I just kept telling myself “you’re not racing them, just run your race” over and over I would repeat that mantra to myself. God I felt like I was crawling and yet I still passed mile marker one in 6:49 holy crap that was almost a minute faster than I wanted but it felt so slow! I continued on constantly reminding myself that I wasn’t racing anyone and that most of these runners were probably running the half marathon. The pace still felt a very slow and I passed mile marker two in 7:14 (14:03) as we turned off Baxter Boulevard and headed onto Bates St on our way to Route 1. As we headed down Veranda St. there’s a nice little down hill (that is the last killer little hill on the way back) that I used to just coast a bit and we crossed over onto Route 1 North as we started to travel over Martin’s Point Bridge the Bagpiper was playing as he does every year a nice little tradition and then came mile marker 3 at 7:21 (21:24) I’m about 1:30ahead of pace at this point. As I cross over the bridge I and approach the turn onto Phillips Road I am feeling really good but still can’t seem to slow my pace down enough as I pass mile marker 4 at 7:16 (28:40). I passed mile marker 5 as we turned onto Route 88 in 7:21 (36:01) that was a little better as I encounter a little bit of a long gradual hill not too bad but a hill none the less as we head towards Skillin’s Greenhouse which is where I will see my wife on the return and there is always a pretty large gathering here. As I trudge up the hill I prepare to take my first GU and wait until I see the water station before taking it and pass mile marker 6 in 7:25 (43:26). Just a bit before mile marker 6 I had seen Jeff Tidd and we chatted briefly before I told him to go on ahead since he was only running the half. As I got close to the half marathon turn around I encountered a nice downhill jaunt immediately followed by a nice uphill climb that I managed to maintain pace on quite comfortably. I passed mile marker 7 in 7:15 (50:41) damn that’s 2:45 ahead of pace. I so wish I could hook up with someone and realize at this point just how alone I was on the course today. No one is passing me and I am slowly picking people off as I progress along the course. I’m still feeling really good as I pass mile marker 8 in 7:32 (58:13). This area is really a rolling route during mile 9 which I manage quite easily and pass the mile marker at 7:21 (1:05:34). The next two miles feature a couple of pretty good hills, but once again I am able to maintain pace with no problems and pass mile marker 10 at 7:34 (1:13:08). It was just before mile marker 11 that I saw the eventual winner pass by me as he made his way back to Portland and he had about a half mile on the next runner…wow! I passed mile marker 11 at 6:53 (1:20:01) Holy Crap where did that one come from, whoa that was a fast mile slow down NOW! There is always a big crowd as we turn onto Gilman Road and they didn’t disappoint us this year. I made my way down a nice hill and turned onto Prince’s Point Road and then passed mile marker 12 in 7:22 (1:27:23). The next few miles just clicked on by without any problems mile 13 was clocked at 7:10 (1:34:33). As I ran through this area I began to think about my running companion from last year…Angela who was running Chicago….I really missed having someone to work off and to chat with and knew that would be tougher later on in the race. Mile marker 14 passed by at 7:27 (1:42:00) I wish that I knew I was this far ahead of pace at the time … crap … I’m in trouble and don’t know it yet but I certainly should have! As I approached the next water station I took another GU and then grabbed a couple of waters at the Aid Station and then made the turn back onto Route 88 as we headed back to Portland. I also saw Jamie and her friend Irene as they were headed the other way on their way to the turn. The number of runners making the turn the other way was pretty significant at this point. It had been a very long time since anyone had passed me other than the occasional “relay” team member that I wouldn’t even let bother me, as a matter of fact I was still systematically picking off runner after runner especially as I made my way up the hills. I passed mile 15 in 7:33 (1:49:33). We continue to cruise and pass mile marker 16 in 7:33 (1:57:03). Here is where I think I began to make some mental mistakes as I knew that the next four miles seem to be the toughest for me on the course and I slowed a bit and began the “mental struggle” that would be my undoing in today’s race. I passed mile marker 17 at 7:53 (2:04:56) still almost 5 minutes ahead of schedule but my downfall had started. I was still feeling physically fine as I passed mile 18 at 7:38 (2:12:34) and mile 19 at 7:58 (2:20:32). As I got to about a half mile from mile 20 I squawked my wife to let her know I was coming and then took another GU as I could see the Aid Station ahead. Mile 20 passed in 8:10 (2:28:42) damn my first 8 minute mile that one was a killer mentally. As I approached Skillin’s Greenhouse I began to watch for my wife and saw her up ahead taking photos. I waved to her and could once again see her snapping away and then give a shout “I Love You” yeah I love you to babe! This year I grabbed my water bottle (with Gatorade) and handed her my empty one. There would be no cramping for lack of electrolytes this year! What happened over the next 5 and one-half miles is perplexing to me. I’ve hit the physical wall before and struggled on in but I had never really dealt with the mental wall the way I did today, I just need to step back and figure this one out, anyways I hit mile 21 at 8:38 (2:37:20) still three minutes ahead of pace. I knew at this point that short of not finishing I was going to get my BQ and a course PR. However my marathon PR and that 3:20 were in a great deal of doubt at this point. Shortly after mile 21 we made the left turn onto Route One South towards Martin’s Point Bridge and I was beginning to slow down and really feeling the loneliness out on the course today. As I headed down a slight hill and passed the mile 23 marker in 9:10 (2:55:25) I could see the next to the last final little hill ahead and forged my way up. Then I made the right turn onto Sherwood Street and knew this was it, we would go down a small hill and up the very final small little hill! As I passed mile marker 24 at 9:24 (3:04:49) I just couldn’t muster up any kind of consistent pace. I made my way through Payson Park back onto Baxter Boulevard towards the finish, and passed mile 25 at 9:36 (3:14:25). Boy this last mile seemed to go on forever, but I finally passed it at 9:44 (3:24:09) I had let my wife know that I was just a few minutes away so that she could spot me coming in. As I closed the gap I came up behind a few runners one in particular a young man (#333) I had pretty much relegated myself to finishing right behind him but was able to summon enough strength to push myself to pass him and finish ahead of him by two whole seconds…a small mental victory but a much needed one at this point.

Well let’s see – last year I said that 3:30 was obtainable so it’s pretty hard to be too disappointed. I got my BQ and a course PR and I finished healthy what more could I ask for?

The final numbers:
Gun time – 3:28:39 – Chip time – 3:28:31
OA – 97/645
AG – 9/43
Course PR – by 4:09

Oh and here are a few photos taken by my wonderful wife:

Approaching my wife at mile 20

Getting ready to swap water bottles

Heading towards the finish

All right I can pass # 333

Yes I make the pass and finish ahead of him by 2 seconds!

Another marathon done!

3:28:31 another BQ, I’ll take it!

IP: Logged

zoomharp
Cool Runner
posted Oct-09-2007 02:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zoomharp     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That's great, Bob! Glad to hear of your BQ, and thanks for the pix.

perchcreek
Cool Runner
posted Oct-09-2007 02:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for perchcreek   Click Here to Email perchcreek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great race Bob! Are you sure you left enough for NYC? A little slower start and you'd hit all goals! WTG beating out 333! (That girl looked pretty relaxed coming into the finish )

Good luck in NYC!

Steve

spkoest
Cool Runner
posted Oct-09-2007 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spkoest     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great job. (other than that fast first mile )

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Oct-09-2007 09:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Another solid run for you Bob, and a BQ to go with it

A PR was there for the taking if you'd wanted to be a little more cautious but I can't blame you at all for going for the 3:20. Just reading your story makes me realize what a beast of a distance this marathon is. I've been hashing it over in my mind lately after having a good 18 miler, but this helped remind me that there is a world of difference between 18 and 26. The half way point in the marathon is 20 miles as they say.

I think this experience will do you some good. I know that it helped me just to read about it and I thank you for sharing your story. You have a great attitude.

Jim

P.S. And great pics too!

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 07:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thaks everyone, I think I figured out what went wrong with this one. Of course the facts do tend to speak for themselves don't they. I definitely bonked and it wasn't hydration. I paid very special attention to that and as you could see from the photos I even made the swap with my wife for the fresh bottle of gatorade to see me to the finish (which I finished in the final 6 miles). And if you take a look at the info from my Garmin you will see that it wasn't my heart rate either.

However after taking a closer look at everything I discovered something pretty surprising to me...I had 2 GU's left in my pouch which I should not have had...I believe that I somehow forgot to take my 2 last GU's. I thought I took the one before mile 20 and don't remember even thinking about the one I was saving for mile 2 which might explain why so much of this seemed like a "mental" issue to me.

Here is the info as garnered from my Garmin 305, you can see that my heart rate actually goes progressively down after mile 20 until that final little kick at the finish. So I am beginning to think that this is a "fueling" issue in that I somehow failed to follow through with putting the fuel in to finish this thing! DUH!!

Garmin info: Maine Marathon 2007

Mile HR Avg – Max

1 – 6:49 153 – 157
2 – 7:14 153 – 155
3 – 7:21 153 – 157
4 – 7:16 151 – 154
5 – 7:21 150 – 152
6 – 7:25 151 – 158
7 – 7:15 152 – 158
8 – 7:32 151 – 153
9 – 7:21 149 – 153
10 – 7:34 150 – 154
11 – 7:34 150 – 154
12 – 7:22 152 – 158
13 – 7:10 151 – 155
14 – 7:27 155 – 159
15 – 7:33 155 – 161
16 – 7:30 155 – 160
17 – 7:53 156 – 162
18 – 7:38 152 – 156
19 – 7:58 154 – 157
20 – 8:10 150 – 152
21 – 8:38 149 – 154
22 – 8:55 146 – 149
23 – 9:10 144 – 147
24 – 9:24 143 – 148
25 – 9:36 139 – 143
26 – 9:44 137 – 143
.49 – 4:13 141 - 155

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

Mom of Scooby
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 07:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mom of Scooby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Bob, I saw you at the portapotties before the race, but did not say hi. You are amazing. Great job and good luck in NYC.

LeftRightRepeat
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 07:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LeftRightRepeat   Click Here to Email LeftRightRepeat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Congrats on the PR Bob!! Looks liek it was a great day out there.

Sorry about the spare Gu's - I think you're right, those may have helped. I also think taking it a little slower in the early miles might have paid off. I mean... If 3:20 (7:40 pace) was the stretch goal, what are you doing averaging 7:12 for the first 5 miles? 7:19 for the first 10? 7:21 through 15? Reel it in a bit for the first half and you'll have a lot more left later!

------------------
->>> John <<<-
Go write something in the Newbie Wiki!!
Running Club Tri Club

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 10:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mom of Scooby:
Bob, I saw you at the portapotties before the race, but did not say hi. You are amazing. Great job and good luck in NYC.

Thanks Mom of Scooby, you should have said hi, it is always nice to meet other coolrunners.

Hope to see you out there someday. By the way, does Scooby run too?

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 10:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeftRightRepeat:
Congrats on the PR Bob!! Looks liek it was a great day out there.

Sorry about the spare Gu's - I think you're right, those may have helped. I also think taking it a little slower in the early miles might have paid off. I mean... If 3:20 (7:40 pace) was the stretch goal, what are you doing averaging 7:12 for the first 5 miles? 7:19 for the first 10? 7:21 through 15? Reel it in a bit for the first half and you'll have a lot more left later!

Thanks John no doubt about it, I went out too fast and paid for it in the end! Although I still think things would have worked out a bit better had I taken those GUs as intended.

We'll see how things go in New York...although I still don't know if we'll be "racing' it or not. Depends on my running buddies...if it is up to me and I am recovered I would like to give it another shot...of course by sticking to the plan!

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

Tramps
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 11:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tramps     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great job, Bob, and nice photos too. That's quite an intimidating grimace you've got at the end there! Nice to read a report from this weekend that has good weather!

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 03:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Congrats Bob - it's hard to hold it together when you're fading like that but it sounds like you did well. You need to temper some of that early enthusiasm and start off slower and you'll kill your PR, even at a crowded and not-terribly-easy course like NYC. Get a pace band and mark at what point you're going to take your energy gels (I usually try to do 4-5 in a race - starting at 6 or 7 and then every 4-5 miles thereafter). If you DO happen to start out fast again, reel yourself in as quickly as you can even if it means walking a few water stations - it seemed like you kept rolling for 10+ miles at too fast a clip.

And are those GLOVES I see on your hands? Someone needed gloves to keep their hands warm on this weekend of carnage?!

Congrats on the course PR - it's tough to PR but course PR's are pretty cool too.

------------------
Pacer Dude

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 04:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PacerChris:
Congrats Bob - it's hard to hold it together when you're fading like that but it sounds like you did well. You need to temper some of that early enthusiasm and start off slower and you'll kill your PR, even at a crowded and not-terribly-easy course like NYC. Get a pace band and mark at what point you're going to take your energy gels (I usually try to do 4-5 in a race - starting at 6 or 7 and then every 4-5 miles thereafter). If you DO happen to start out fast again, reel yourself in as quickly as you can even if it means walking a few water stations - it seemed like you kept rolling for 10+ miles at too fast a clip.

And are those GLOVES I see on your hands? Someone needed gloves to keep their hands warm on this weekend of carnage?!

Congrats on the course PR - it's tough to PR but course PR's are pretty cool too.

Thanks Chris, I'll take your very wise suggestions to heart as I know that I went out at way too fast a clip. I never even gave a thought about walking at the aide stations...makes sense...since I just couldn't seem to reel it in early on.

Oh and yeah those are gloves, my hands get cold easy and it was a bit cool early on in Maine! I could have ditched them after a few miles but never really thought of it and they just didn't bother me.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Oct-10-2007 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Totally jealous of the glove thing...wishful thinking in the midwest last weekend!

Walking through aid stations will force you to slow down if you can't seem to find that slower rhythm. Check your watch at each mile mark, and if you need to slow down. If you find that you're still in that faster rhythm, walk through while you get a drink. It might help turn the mind off that faster pace, get you to relax, plus getting some extra fluids is always a good idea.

By the way - I like that you have a picture of you spanking that young pup (#333)...too bad you don't know him, you could blow it up and send him a shot of that!

shortythomas
posted Oct-11-2007 10:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for shortythomas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey Bob,

I'm da guy in the white singlet, background, first two
pics......went 1:39, 1:39 for a 3:19......probably passed
ya around the bridge....wid those fast splits thru 20
miles, I know ya gotta sub 3:20 in ya!!!!
Dont give up!!!! tom

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-11-2007 10:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortythomas:
hey Bob,

I'm da guy in the white singlet, background, first two
pics......went 1:39, 1:39 for a 3:19......probably passed
ya around the bridge....wid those fast splits thru 20
miles, I know ya gotta sub 3:20 in ya!!!!
Dont give up!!!! tom

Thaks shorty...I wish I had known someone else that was shooting for a 3:20. I would have loved to team up I think that would have helped. Congrats on a great race, I remember seeing you and you were going strong. I knew that I was right on pace in those first two photos even if I slowed a bit, but things just went bad after that...Oh well back to the drawing board!

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

spacecadet
posted Oct-11-2007 08:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spacecadet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Congratulations on your BQ. Sounds like you pushed yourself early. Tough finish but great results.

I am trying for a 3:30 at the Breakers on 10/20. If I can execute my plan, I'll be joining you in Boston.

Ralph

JJJessee
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2007 10:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JJJessee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great Race Bob. Nice pictures and report.
Congrats on the BQ
jjj

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-13-2007 09:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spacecadet:
I am trying for a 3:30 at the Breakers on 10/20. If I can execute my plan, I'll be joining you in Boston.
Ralph

Thanks spacecadet, and good luck on your BQ Quest...stick to that plan and you should be fine. That is my biggest problem, I seem to stray from the plan in one way or another and that's what happens. We'll give it another go at NY on 11/04 although I am not sure what the goal will be there as of yet. It is nice not to have the pressure of needing that BQ for two more years now.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

Mom of Scooby
Cool Runner
posted Oct-13-2007 09:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mom of Scooby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobscamman:
Thanks Mom of Scooby, you should have said hi, it is always nice to meet other coolrunners.

Hope to see you out there someday. By the way, does Scooby run too?

Ha Ha.. you know me already. Under another screen name. I think you can guess. Alas, Scooby is a Springer Spaniel pushing 13 so he no longer can keep up with me, but he was the best running partner in his younger days.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: