Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: CoachB

Running on Toes

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running on Toes
deathleprechaun
posted Mar-27-2007 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for deathleprechaun   Click Here to Email deathleprechaun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi everyone,

I am a a high school mile runner and am looking for ways to improve. I have heard kids talk about running on your toes, so I looked up a few things online about it. It seems that it's definitely good for sprinting, but not necessary for longer distances.

Would running on my toes be beneficial for my mile races? I currently run heel-to-toe, or whatever the "normal" way of running is.

[This message has been edited by deathleprechaun (edited Mar-27-2007).]

IP: Logged

Alex Nichols
Cool Runner
posted Mar-27-2007 09:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alex Nichols   Click Here to Email Alex Nichols     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Heel to toe is deadly for anything faster than a walk. Well not deadly but it actually has a breaking effect on your stride. Plus it straightens your leg and puits way more force on your joints than necessary. Landing around mid-foot makes your legs at least a little bent so they absorb the shock. I got some book that goes into scientific detail about it and that's what I thought it meant. Hopefully it made some sense.

Alex

sam1500
Cool Runner
posted Mar-28-2007 01:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sam1500   Click Here to Email sam1500     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yes, faster runners usually don't heel strike in mile races. A lot depends on the speed of running, but in general the less heel your shoes have the more you land on your toes- it's almost impossible to heel strike in bare feet (for me anyway). Doing more training in spikes(or some easy barefoot running) helps to strengthen your lower legs and feet so that you can run better on your toes.

swsmith07
posted Mar-28-2007 07:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for swsmith07     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with Alex on this one. When you run heel to toe, you heel strikes first and acts like a brake, slowing you down with every stride. When you land aroun the mid-foot, the foot lands and is picked back up more efficiently.

------------------
Steve

captainwildcat
Cool Runner
posted Mar-28-2007 10:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for captainwildcat   Click Here to Email captainwildcat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As others have pointed out you do not want to heel strike, however you are not running only your toes either. A midfoot landing where the foot is flexed is the optimal way to land/propel yourself.

------------------
My Profile

deathleprechaun
posted Mar-30-2007 06:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for deathleprechaun   Click Here to Email deathleprechaun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When should I be running on my midfoot? I I ran a mile trial earlier this week in practice on my toes (in racing spikes) and one of my calves was extremely sore for the next few days. I was probably doing it wrong, and I wasn't prepared for it.

Should I practice running on my mid-foot during speed intervals, and then do it during races? I guess I incorrectly described my stride in my first post; I don't do a hard, laborious heel strike... I just run normally.

trackrunnerguy
posted Apr-01-2007 05:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for trackrunnerguy   Click Here to Email trackrunnerguy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you wear the right kind of shoes, heel striking for slower running shouldn't hurt you. Especially if you're young, you don't have to worry so much about your joints. It's normal that your calves got sore. But in order to run fast you have to be on your toes constantly. Just keep practicing with the mid-foot strike during fast intervals and your calves will strengthen eventually.

sprinthurdlejump1
posted Apr-06-2007 02:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sprinthurdlejump1   Click Here to Email sprinthurdlejump1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you did start running on your toes, you would get alot faster. It helps turning over alot. Running heel toe takes more time. It does take alot of calf muscle and if your not used to it, it can burn for the longer distances. I am a sprinter and that is how i run, but i use to heel toe. When I did stop running heel toe, i dropped 2 seconds from my 200m time and a second from my 100m. It works for sprinters.
XOXOX
Tricia

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: