Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: CoachB

Faster 5 Mile Time.

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Faster 5 Mile Time.
Sapphire20216
posted Nov-15-2006 06:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So, I'm on the Crew team at my school. We run 5 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As of now my PR is 43:41 and I'm wondering how I can make it a bit better because I DESPERATELY want to beat my friend.

And... just curious, what are your best times for a 5 mile?

IP: Logged

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Nov-15-2006 06:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire20216:
We run 5 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As of now my PR is 43:41 and I'm wondering how I can make it a bit better

If you want to improve on your 5 mile time, you have to run more than twice a week.

Sapphire20216
posted Nov-15-2006 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard21142:
If you want to improve on your 5 mile time, you have to run more than twice a week.

I do. It's just not timed more than that.I run everyday except Sundays.

Deadpixel
Cool Runner
posted Nov-15-2006 08:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Deadpixel   Click Here to Email Deadpixel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You have a 5 mile race twice a week?

Weak, that is way to often to be meaningful. Anyway, just cram in more miles, speed work isn't going to help much for the 5 mile at your level of fitness.

Sapphire20216
posted Nov-15-2006 08:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deadpixel:
You have a 5 mile race twice a week?

Weak, that is way to often to be meaningful. Anyway, just cram in more miles, speed work isn't going to help much for the 5 mile at your level of fitness.

Are you trying to say that I'm unfit?

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Nov-16-2006 09:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deadpixel:
Anyway, just cram in more miles, speed work isn't going to help much for the 5 mile at your level of fitness.

If she is doing crew, then she is fit.

Do you run after crew practice? After working out on a Concept2, my legs do not want to race 5 miles.

Why don't you post your training schedule so more comprehensive comments can be generated.

Sapphire20216
posted Nov-16-2006 07:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Uhm. It changes around a bit, but...

Monday: we run there (around a mile), do a 4k on the erg (ergometer, what Richard21142 called the Concept2), then we row for about an hour and then run back.

Tuesday: 5 miles. Cals. Weights. Run back.

Wednesday: There's no practice on Wednesday until sometime in December, I usually run like 3 miles or ride bikes with my mom.

Thursday: 5 miles. Rowing about 2 hours. Run back.

Friday: Run there. Erg, usually 2 20 minute pieces. Sometimes we row or sometimes we will do cals or something of the sort. Run back.

Saturday: Run there. 4 mile run. Row. Erg. Run back.

Today my time on the 5 mile was 43:29. Better, just not by TOO much.

[This message has been edited by Sapphire20216 (edited Nov-16-2006).]

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2006 08:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Your schedule is pretty full. One suggestion is to run your Thursday 5 miler as a tempo run rather than trying to set a PR. Running it as a tempo run would give you a better feel for pacing the distance. It would also have less impact on your 2 hour row. Tuesday is the day to run a time trial as you don't row afterwards; although I can imagine lifting would be kinda hard after your run. Is it possible to vary the distance on Tuesday? Some Tuesdays you could run a hard 3 miler with a mile warmup and cooldown. This would give you some variation and you wouldn't be trying to top yourself every week at the same distance.

My other thoughts would be to make sure that you do your 5 mile run with negative splits or negative effort if the course is hilly.

quozl
Cool Runner
posted Nov-17-2006 11:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for quozl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There's the obvious approach of adding a long run once a week. If the longest you run is 5 miles you can't expect to be able to race 5 miles without fading towards the end.

Your aerobic fitness from rowing will help but it won't produce the same adaptations in the muscles you use for running as running itself will.

Run 90 minutes once a week at an honestly easy pace. If you run it at a sensible pace it shouldn't interfere with your rowing and you'll still get the benefits.

When to fit it in I don't know, you're a busy lady!

Sapphire20216
posted Nov-22-2006 07:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll try a tempo run.

It was amazing. It's probably because of the weather, but my latest PR is 40:41. That's a 3 minute difference.

nc2714
Cool Runner
posted Nov-30-2006 12:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for nc2714   Click Here to Email nc2714     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll ask it here since there are two crew people tracking the post.

What are some good workouts for the concept2?? I don't do crew I i discovered it today in my fitness center and found it enjoyable and I want to build some upper body strength but weight work is too boring. I just did a 500m with minute of rest then a 1500m. What are some other good workouts??

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Nov-30-2006 09:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nc2714:
What are some other good workouts??

You can do the same workouts on the Concept2 that you can do on the track; intervals, tempo rows, steady state rows, etc.

Sapphire20216
posted Dec-01-2006 07:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nc2714:
What are some good workouts for the concept2??

Uhm. I can give you a few workouts that you probably won't find too "fun", but they really are great workouts. Really, female rowing focuses on legs because they're a stronger body part and will help us go faster in the boat, but it does help your arms too, I have noticed a HUGE difference.

If you want arms, erging at all will help, you can try just arm drills which will help if you want to work on arms. What we do sometimes because our arms are considered our "weak" part, is sit with your legs flat, leaning back a bit (great arm workout) and pull your arms in and away for two minutes. If you want more of a challenge, check the rate (in a little box usually on the top right it'll say "spm" standing for strokes per minute) keep that between 40-60 for the two minutes.

Sapphire20216
posted Dec-05-2006 09:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Today: 42:58.

Sapphire20216
posted Dec-12-2006 06:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Today: 42:38

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Dec-12-2006 09:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Today: 42:38

How is your Thursday 5 mile run? Are you running it more under control without worrying about time?

Viich
Cool Runner
posted Dec-13-2006 08:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Viich     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey buddy, just as a point of comparison:

My fastest 5 mile time is 29:34.
If I run 5 miles training, it's usually between 38 and 45 minutes. Stop racing every week.

------------------
Craig
Craig's Log

Sapphire20216
posted Dec-14-2006 03:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
How is your Thursday 5 mile run? Are you running it more under control without worrying about time?

The last two Thursdays I've been busy, so I haven't run. But yeah.. usually Thursday I don't PR it's more just run to run, Tuesday I'm not really that tired from the week yet so I push it.

Sapphire20216
posted Jan-09-2007 06:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
41:48

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Jan-10-2007 09:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As your five mile time improves, do you see a corresponding improvement in your rowing?

Sapphire20216
posted Jan-11-2007 07:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sapphire20216   Click Here to Email Sapphire20216     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
As your five mile time improves, do you see a corresponding improvement in your rowing?

Oh yeah. I don't know if it's because of the rowing I'm doing better, or because of the running, but I'm doing a lot better.

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 09:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
I don't know if it's because of the rowing I'm doing better, or because of the running, but I'm doing a lot better.

My experience running while also rowing on a Concept2 twice a week is that one helps the other. Certainly, I would not have been able to row as fast as I did without the fitness from running. And my mile split in races was much faster than it should have been as I wasn't doing any track workouts at that time.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: