Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

vaseline on face?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   vaseline on face?
KristineC
posted Dec-02-2007 07:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for KristineC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Can someone explain to me why you would put vaseline on your face on a cold weather run? Does it protect the skin? I'm guessing that it does, but how does your sweat come out... sorry, that may sound stupid.

IP: Logged

bigapplepie
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 07:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bigapplepie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It prevents chapping. It won't affect the sweat.

VictorN
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 01:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VictorN   Click Here to Email VictorN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I never use it while running, but I remember doing some emergency work during a blizzard many, many years ago and one of the other more experienced volunteers smeared vaseline on all the exposed parts of our faces. He said it was to prevent frostbite. I don't know if it works or not, but I remember it felt good because it protected my skin from the wind.

For runninng, I don't see it as necessary. Get a good poly face mask and your running should keep you plenty warm to well below zero.

Victor

------------------
www.competitiverunner.com

[This message has been edited by VictorN (edited Dec-02-2007).]

AKTrail
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 03:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AKTrail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It helps prevent some cold effects like chapping and frostnip. If it's cold enough and windy enough, it will not prevent frostbite. I've never been convinced that it's an insulator. That's where face masks help - subzero F or 50mph winds. But I prefer the freedom of running without a mask if conditions permit. I'll use vaseline on my feet also.

If your face is sweating, you obviously don't need vaseline since it's not cold enough.

I tend to use it if I'm going out for a couple hours or more at 20F and even short runs if below 0F. Even if it doesn't prevent anything, it does feel more comfortable than going without.

mum2girls
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 04:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mum2girls   Click Here to Email mum2girls     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
AK - would you please tell me more about using vaseline on your feet?

I use it on my cheeks/nose on cold and windy days.

bizenyaki
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 04:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bizenyaki     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use it when it's quite cold out (below -16c). I find my face feels less frozen and less affected by wind. I believe it's a layer of protection between your skin & the cold air.

------------------
My User Profile

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 06:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mum2girls:
[B]AK - would you please tell me more about using vaseline on your feet?

B]

I use it on long runs. My right foot callouses and right before a run it really helps. Ultra running friends of mine swear by it too.

AKTrail
Cool Runner
posted Dec-02-2007 07:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AKTrail     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mum2girls:
AK - would you please tell me more about using vaseline on your feet?

I just rub it on my feet (AFTER taping if needed for other reasons). I was originally introduced to that method as a way of dealing with wet feet. It doesn't work that long for that, but it does tend to keep my feet from drying out as much in cold, dry air. At least for awhile. If I'm going to be out in windy (say 30+mph) or cold conditions (10F or colder) for awhile (couple hours or more), I'll use either neoprene socks or sealskinz over liner sock over vaseline over my feet.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: