Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

How do you handle the heat?

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How do you handle the heat?
apeters
posted Aug-07-2007 01:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for apeters   Click Here to Email apeters     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I feel like a wuss asking this question after being a runner for plenty of summers, but I just don't feel like I can handle the humidity and the heat this summer.

I tend to run in the mornings around 8:30 or 9:00 am, and I don't mind confining my speedwork to the treadmils, but how about the 7,8,9 milers? Is there a trick for getting the 25-30 miles a week without having to walk half-way through your runs?

IP: Logged

OhioMom
posted Aug-07-2007 01:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for OhioMom     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This summer has been miserably hot and humid. I have forced myself to run early (6:00) even on the weekend so that I can conclude my run before 8:00! I have also taken to stashing a water bottle at the half way point for the weekly long (for me that is 8-10 miles) run. At a recent race, which began at 8:00 I took water at each water stop, drank some and then poured the rest down my back. I felt better for a little while!

brianfie
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 01:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for brianfie   Click Here to Email brianfie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I find it works if you just slow down and keep running every day. Keep the distance going and hydrate adaquately. I get out before 6:30; before 6 if I am running long. This way I can get a few miles in before the sun hits and while the air temperature is still in the 80s. This month I am running 50 easy miles per week over hilly routes without problems.

-b

flobaby
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 01:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flobaby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm another who sets their alarm to get out early. I've become pretty acclimated by now, so I'm not really uncomfortable on my runs (getting faster actually) but before I'm even 1/2 way done with a long run, I'm completely and utterly soaked through.

bluelake
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 01:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bluelake     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The heat is terrible here in AL. Sat I took a cooler with ice and every 3-5 laps, put ice cubes in my buff, which I wore around my neck. It felt so good when the ice melted and ran down my chest and back.

------------------
bluelake "It's not easy, but it's worth it"See My Profile! [URL]

gale813
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 02:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gale813   Click Here to Email gale813     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have to run early also. I set the alarm for 6AM and am out the door by 6:30. Last month I was setting it for 5:30. I do back-to-back races every weekend and doing them at 8:30 or 9:00 is ROUGH!!!!

------------------
Running sober, one step at a time!!!My Profile

rolling1977
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 02:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolling1977     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I usually run just before sundown. I run gravel roads with no traffic. Anyway, I have incorporated 60 second walk breaks about every mile. When I start feeling dizzy from the heat, I take my walk break early. It's pretty rough this year for everybody, with the heat.

------------------
Jimmy Legs

I live with fear and danger everyday, but sometimes I leave her and go running.......

neub
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 05:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for neub     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I take my shortest run in the early evening or late afternoon. I pretty much resign myself to the fact I will be VERY slow, so I don't get upset when I run extremely slow. I've noticed my morning runs are a bit faster after my afternoon run. I have also noticed recently that my afternoon run is starting to go a little faster.

AndyHass
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 06:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AndyHass   Click Here to Email AndyHass     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, be it getting old or whatever, I don't. Several years ago I could run in the heat just fine, I just slowed down 10-20sec a mile and stayed hydrated. Uncomfortable but no problem, did track work etc too.

Over the last 2-3 years it has become an increasing problem. This year I simply cannot run over 85 degrees, and can't do any kind of decent workout over the low 70s. So basically I run starting before sun up now and still can't get much quality in.

I'm only 29....it can't be age yet???

mollie63
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 06:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mollie63     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
get an ice bandana from zombierunner.com

Alex Nichols
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alex Nichols   Click Here to Email Alex Nichols     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No Andy, I feel it too. I think the increasing of miles wears on our bodies a bit more, plus the extra heat makes it worse.

Last summer was my first summer of actual training and I could be out there in 90F weather doing my runs. This year I'm dying out there, bonked on my first run ever today. And no it's not age because I'm only 17.

Running without the sun makes a huge difference for me. If I can't handle it during the day I'll go at like 10.

Tamara40
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 07:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tamara40     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's awful for me too. I'm in VA, we're having record days. All of my windows are covered in a mist on the inside. I got up this morning at 5:00 a.m. to run and I went outside and came right back in...it was so stifling I didn't even try, so I ended up on a TM at the gym for the first time in months and it really sucked for me. I watched Oprah while I ran, but it really really sucked. I couldn't concentrate, I kept running into the sides, I got bored (even while watching Oprah!), I felt more fatigued, had to walk a few times, and never finished what I started. I only ran 3 miles and felt like crap afterwards. I'm currently training for a marathon and need to get the miles in, but this humidity is killing me.

Does anyone know when the temp and humidity is the lowest? Is it better to run early in the a.m., or at night?

Ariann
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 08:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ariann     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just heard it was in the mid-nineties as I was driving home (near dark) today. The humidity was miserably high as well. Every time I get out of my car my glasses fog up and stay that way for several minutes. My glasses fog up when I just walk. I'm keeping it on the treadmill this summer with no apologies - it's just a matter of timing my runs so I won't get yelled at for being on the treadmill at the gym for an hour plus.

mcsolar99
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2007 09:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mcsolar99   Click Here to Email mcsolar99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamara40:
Does anyone know when the temp and humidity is the lowest? Is it better to run early in the a.m., or at night?

tucson is pretty easy to figure out: coolest temp is just after sunrise, highest humidity is also just after sunrise. here's the national weather service link for the past 7 days here, showing the daily cycle fairly well:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=twc&sid=KTUS&num=168&raw=0&dbn=m

in other locations that have real weather, not just sun, your results may vary. peruse that national weather service web site to find out what your location is doing... your tax dollars at work.

heat? in the summer? i run quality workouts at sunrise, and i run recovery workouts at lunch. both are usually slower than my winter workouts. slow down!

------------------
mcsolar99
workouts

apeters
posted Aug-08-2007 08:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for apeters   Click Here to Email apeters     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So I got up at 645 today, which is a feat in and of itself because I am on summer break from college, and the windows were completely steamed up. It took every last effort to get up, drench my shirt in cold water, take a cold bottle of water and that forhead icewrap thing and go. UGH it was humid.
But getting up early did make a large difference. So did hydration, who knew. The biggest help was forcing myself to slow down. I found something cool (no pun intended) to cool yourself down during a run, but it might only work in the rainforests of Pennsylvania but I brushed up against all the wet trees and bushes I could and got soaked which helped a bit too.
I feel like I will have to spend more time on the treadmil anyways. Does anyone feel like if they walk during a run they are dissapointing a higher running authority?

mrinertia
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 08:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mrinertia   Click Here to Email mrinertia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Slow up, hydrate and choose your battles.

If you're an AM runner, make sure to drink plenty the night before, drink a bit before heading out and either stash or carry some water for your run.

Don't force your pace. I always want to speed up when it's nasty hot out, just to get the workout over faster, but learned that the price is too high to pay. This morning it was in the 80s with 95+% humidity by 5:00 am. My pace was 10:30, a full minute slower than normal.

It doesn't ahve to be an all or nothing. It's ok to shave off a little time here and there (depnding on your goals and where you are in running). Maybe doing 7 instead of 9 might be an option (that's what I did this morning). If it's gonna be cooler in a few days, go short when it's hot and longer when it's not.

------------------
An object at rest cannot be stopped!

fit45
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 08:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for fit45     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No good answers, folks, but I'll put in a vote for early morning runs, too. I'm out the door by 4:30AM for short runs or 4:00 (or earlier) for longer ones... doing LHR training, so I'm ridiculously slow right now.

Still, it was 74 degrees, dewpoint 66, 94% humidity at 4:00 AM here in VA today -- but that's a lot better than 87 degrees it was when I went to bed last night!! Can't imagine trying to run after 10AM right now. I went through 2 16.9oz bottles of water and one of gatorade while I was out. Was drenched with sweat (and really stinky, I'm told) when I returned.

My kids run XC for the local high school team, and they're done with practice by 8AM. It's just too darn hot!

receey
posted Aug-08-2007 09:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for receey   Click Here to Email receey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As the lady before mention, I can not see my self running after eight in the morining unless it is raining. I start my runs about five every morning so that when the heat begins i will be done.

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 09:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You have to plan for the heat and humidity. Factor in that you need to slow according to every degree in temperature.

1cor1613
posted Aug-08-2007 09:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1cor1613     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Alot of good strategies here. In addition to going early slowing down and increasing hydration, I would add: get off the road and find a good trail to run.*

The heat coming off the surface of black asphalt can be as much as 30 degrees warmer than the air temp. (especially in the afternoon) That means if it's 90 degrees, you're running on a 120 degree surface. I've found shady trails to be quite bearable (although I wouldn't go as far as to say pleasant) on 95 degree days.

*A good source for trail locations is you local HS cross-country team (which are probably starting to practice this week).

That being said, I don't think there is any shame in hitting the TM when the elements dictate.

While we're on the subject, I would also suggest that you make sure someone knows where you are running and that you carry some form of identification and contact information on you when you're running - especially on these hot days.

Be safe out there!

Docster
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 09:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Docster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyHass:
Well, be it getting old or whatever, I don't. Several years ago I could run in the heat just fine, I just slowed down 10-20sec a mile and stayed hydrated. Uncomfortable but no problem, did track work etc too.

Over the last 2-3 years it has become an increasing problem. This year I simply cannot run over 85 degrees, and can't do any kind of decent workout over the low 70s. So basically I run starting before sun up now and still can't get much quality in.

I'm only 29....it can't be age yet???

Well Andy...age could be some of it. However, I think it might be the heat in addition to other factors. Do you get a lot of sleep? (8+ hours every night?) You are a high mileage runner, and perhaps the mileage and the heat and other factors (such as sleep, etc) are enough to make a more pronounced difference than in the past.

As for me, I couldn't run this morning, and I have 12 scheduled for today. It's probably going to be 97 to 101 out after work...thankfully I'll be on a greenway with some decent shade in spots. Either way, I'll be drinking 100+ ounces during the run no doubt. (not too mention running well over a minute slower per mile at the same training HR planned for today)

Tamara40
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 03:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tamara40     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
wow mcsolar99...thanks for the link...that is awesome. It really does help you figure out when is the best time to run. I like that.

Hey Fit45...I'm in VA too! We might be passing each other on the trails and never knew it.

milkbaby
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 03:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for milkbaby   Click Here to Email milkbaby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For some reason I feel the same as Andy -- it seems like I used to be able to run just fine in the heat and humidity. But for some reason it just seems harder and harder each year. Or maybe I just hate it more and more each year? I can't tell...

gregw
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2007 03:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gregw     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fit45:

Still, it was 74 degrees, dewpoint 66, 94% humidity at 4:00 AM here in VA today -- but that's a lot better than 87 degrees it was when I went to bed last night!! Can't imagine trying to run after 10AM right now. I went through 2 16.9oz bottles of water and one of gatorade while I was out. Was drenched with sweat (and really stinky, I'm told) when I returned.

Are you in Northern VA? I checked the local weatherstation on wunderground and it was 80 with a dewpoint of 74(!) at 4am here. This was the worst day this summer. If these keeps up, I might develop gills.

I'm seriously thinking about treadmilling on these days. I feel like I'm not getting a good workout despite how hard it is. I think there was a thread where somebody showed that you actually consume less oxygen at a given heart rate in high heat/humidity. Plus, I find it very difficult to even reach the same heart rates. I'd bet my breathing rate is much higher for a given heart rate.

Scott3294
posted Aug-08-2007 04:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Scott3294   Click Here to Email Scott3294     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Its just plain hot. The heat index here in Savannah GA has been close to 100 each evening at 8:30pm when I run. Monday night the heat index was 107 at 8:30. We topped out at 126 a few minutes ago. I am 40 yrs old and really, in this heat, you just have to pick the best time and I think it is early in the morning...because once the day gets going it doesn't get bearable for at least 8 hours after sunset.
I also use my weather station to see what conditions I am running in. www.coffeebluff.com

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: