Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

Running vs. Jogging

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running vs. Jogging
Jessitt1
posted Jun-25-2007 04:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jessitt1   Click Here to Email Jessitt1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would appreciate opinions on the difference between Running and Jogging. Not that I am a snob, but when someone I know says"I see you jogging every now and again", it gets me upset. I figure when you run at a 9 min pace, you should be running. Jogging, to me, seems like it is done at a mich slower pace, and maybe by someone who "jogs" occasionaly.

Does anyone have this problem??? Faster runners being called joggers by towns people???

Do I sound like an elitest???

Rich

IP: Logged

biketm
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2007 04:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for biketm   Click Here to Email biketm     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The way I see it...if your not walking, your running. I had a cyclist friend that came up with some stupid formula that stated "8 minutes pace is when it goes from jogging to running" I just laughed at him.

Actually, some people are sincere with their statements about running or jogging. They think it is the same thing in their viewpoint.

YOU R A RUNNER.

Tim

TammyM
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2007 04:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TammyM   Click Here to Email TammyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
to me, it's all semantics. I'm sure they mean nothing by it. For years, before running became a more popular sport, it was just called "jogging". I don't think the average person can see someone out there on the streets running and make any kind of difference between what your pace is and whether they should be labeled a runner or a jogger. They probably call anyone who is out there running just for the enjoyment or exercise of it, a "jogger". I don't pay much attention to what the average person calls it. It would only grate on my nerves if another runner at a race called me a jogger because I wasn't as fast as they were.

Worsel
posted Jun-26-2007 10:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Worsel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
isn't it pronounced yogging?

Ron Burgundy: Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

Southern Man
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 11:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Southern Man     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There are more important things in life to worry about. Nobody is doing this to slight you. Be pleased that they are actually trying to show some interest in you.

Southern Man

------------------
We're on a road to nowhere. Come on along.

HumbleRunner
posted Jun-26-2007 11:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HumbleRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jogging just doesn't sound very tough. I agree its all what you are used to hearing. When people ask me if I am going to go jogging I cringe. I know that they mean running though. Jogging sounds like you'd be wearing cotton shorts, a cotton t-shirt, a headband, high white socks, and sneakers. Running sounds like you'd be wearing something far more serious!!! I still have those days where I get out there in all cotton and see what happens. One time last year I was running with my fiance and she noticed at about mile 12 that I was wearing long basketball shorts, high socks, and a cotton cut-off t-shirt. She then proceeded to say "hoop it up" occasionally throughout the rest of our 20 miler. It did provide some much needed humor on the run.

Iontach
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 11:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iontach     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Human beings have only two legs, so they only have two gaits. One is where one foot is always in contact with the ground - this is called "walking". The other has both feet off the ground for a split second. You can call the second one "running", "jogging" or "strawberry shortcake".

If this is the most upsetting thing that ever happens to you, can I have your life?

SimonR
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 11:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SimonR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was out doing a run of 24kms, and near the end in 80 degrees F when a guy I passed said "Nice day for a trot"!

I felt that going for a trot perhaps understated the scope of what I was doing slightly, but I didn't have the energy to discuss the matter!

rlemert
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 12:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlemert     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Jogging sounds like you'd be wearing cotton shorts, a cotton t-shirt, a headband, high white socks, and sneakers."

And all this time I thought I was running!

I wear a visor instead of a headband, and New Balance 767's instead of sneakers, but otherwise this describes me to a 'tee'. Guess I'll go back with the other wannabee's <g>.

Frogger
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 12:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Frogger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogging

and I quote:

"The definition of jogging as compared with running is not standard. Dr. George Sheehan, a running expert, is quoted to have said "the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank".[1] Others are usually more specific, defining jogging as running slower than 6mph (10 minute per mile pace).[2]

A jogger is also a derogatory term for a competitive runner who lacks speed, endurance, form, etc."

All quite entertaining. Also, Princeton worknet describes jogging as "running at a jog trot as a form of cardiopulmonary exercise".

So, it would appear that some runners may inadvertently be jogging on their long runs... would that then become a long trot?

13squared
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 12:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 13squared     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Interesting.

I consider all of my trianing runs to be jogging.

When I do a race, I consider it running.

The most common thing I ever hear from people is about themselves, rarely to ever me. i.e. I get some form of 'Geez, I could never run... insert random distance here, from 5k to marathon.' The thing is, neither could I until I trained for it...

People are strange, and i'm a person too

jfourman
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 03:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jfourman   Click Here to Email jfourman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I believe that the difference between running and jogging is a state of mind more than a particular pace. To me, jogging implies CV exercise, weight loss objectives, etc... while running has more of a "sport" oriented connotation.

I particularly like the Pearl Izumi add that defines joggers as "prey" and runners as "hunters". ( http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/home ). When I run, regardless of pace, I feel like a hunter. I am hunting for the next runner ahead of me, the next corner, the next mile marker, the next faster split, the next PR, etc... I believe that joggers approach a race or workout from a different perspective ...waiting to be overtaken, hoping just to finish, dreading the effort ahead like bad tasting medicine.

When you run, do you feel like "prey" or like a "hunter"?

I believe that, even though we have evolved to shop at the supermarket and eat fast food, we should still have the mindset that we could run down dinner if we had to.

[This message has been edited by jfourman (edited Jun-26-2007).]

Iontach
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 03:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iontach     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jfourman:
...waiting to be overtaken

I tend to wait until they overtake me, then leap sideways, bring them down, and feast on their flesh.

TechTee
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 03:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TechTee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jfourman:
[B].

I particularly like the Pearl Izumi add that defines joggers as "prey" and runners as "hunters". ( http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/home ). B]

I do not particularly like the Pearl Izumi ad. And, apparently I'm not alone, they have been getting phone calls and e-mails aplently (although there have been, I've heard, quite a few people *do* like the ad too, but it's not 50-50).

Forget about what you think, for a moment, and go by the strict definition in the dictionary.

Boiled down, it says, running is defined when you are moving and that, for a moment, both feet must be off the ground.

Jogging says, running at a "leisurely, slow pace". But, there is no definition of "leisurely, slow pace". What's leisurely and slow for Meb ain't exactly what's a "leisurely, slow pace" for me.

If Pearl Izumi wanted to get noticed (which I'm sure they did), then they succeeded. They also succeeded in pissing a lot of people off. I really think (IMO) that, of all places they should NOT have put their ad in is Runner's World, which especially caters to beginners and runners who are not "elite". Of course, no one has a real definition for "elite" either.

Oh, and another thing, if you actually go to Pearl Izumi's website, the ad is much longer and more descriptive of "running", and is not as offensive (at least to me) as the small blurb they put in Runner's World.

Just one man's opinion.

BillyVLT
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 04:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BillyVLT     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Oh, and another thing, if you actually go to Pearl Izumi's website, the ad is much longer and more descriptive of "running", and is not as offensive (at least to me) as the small blurb they put in Runner's World.

Thanks, Tech Tee. I disagree with the position in the ad but agree with you the longer version isn't as offensive. I will say what it loses in offensiveness it gains in obtuseness. After spending pages to say that running and jogging are different, they offer up a statement like: runners can jog, but even when they are jogging they are running. Please.

Here's a story that I like. I don't have a citation for you, but I believe I saw it in Discover magazine. Humans, compared to many animals, are not good at running. Humans are however pretty good at shedding heat. There is an Indian tribe, I believe it is the Seri, that live in the area of Baja California and Sonora where of course it gets quite warm, especially in the summer. They put this principle of heat management to good use. They will chase an animal for 2 to 6 hours. I imagine (and I say I imagine because I don't know) that they are not particularly aggressive in this - the aim is just to keep the animal moving. After awhile, the animal will succumb to heat exhaustion. The hunters will then literally be able to walk right up to the animal and dispatch it. The animal gets run down. The hunters do not run it down.

The aim here again is heat management. I humbly suggest the Seri are jogging while the animal is running. The joggers are hunters. The runner is prey.

Cheers,
Billy

runawayjesse
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 06:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runawayjesse     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use the term jogging in my log for an easy effort recovery run. I guess because it feels so easy I just have a hard time calling it a run. I might say it to a runner who I know something like "how was your shake out JOG this morning"?, or did you include a day of JOGGING between those workouts?, I don't think I'm offending anyone.

janga
posted Jun-26-2007 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for janga     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with the poster who says the difference between jogging/running and walking is gait. In jogging/running, both feet momentarily leave the ground for a short time; in walking, at least one foot has contact with the ground at all times. There's also a short vertical jump in jogging/running that is not present in walking.

Jogging IS considered slower than running, but they are essentially the same thing and the definition of which is which varies according to who you talk to. I am a very slow runner but I think of myself as a runner, but I also think of myself as a jogger and think that's a nice, friendly, quaint word for when I am just putzin' along for fun. When I am trying to do a race, which is hard for me, I am a runner, even if the whole pack, includin' most o' the walkers, sometimes passes me halfway through.

I am also not ashamed to walk, which is a noble and stalwart endeavor that no one should scorn.

S'all good. Who cares what they call it. It's what YOU call it that matters.

slowgino
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slowgino     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jessitt1:
I would appreciate opinions on the difference between Running and Jogging. Not that I am a snob, but when someone I know says"I see you jogging every now and again", it gets me upset. I figure when you run at a 9 min pace, you should be running. Jogging, to me, seems like it is done at a mich slower pace, and maybe by someone who "jogs" occasionaly.

Does anyone have this problem??? Faster runners being called joggers by towns people???

Do I sound like an elitest???

Rich

Rich -

Remember that great bit of advice Harrison Ford's character gave the President when the latter wondered what to say if the press asked if a certain person was his friend? Something like:
"If they ask if he's your friend say he's your good friend. If they ask if he's a good friend, say he's your lifelong friend. Give them no place to go..."

When people say they saw me jogging, or ask if I go jogging, I might say something like this:

----------------------------------
Oh, yeah, I really like jogging. Once I jogged 100K in the sun when it was 85 degrees in the shade. Averaged just over 9 minutes per mile, even with stopping by the restrooms on the course every 6 miles or so. I've jogged a dozen or so marathons too, usually between 3:15 and 3:30. Maybe the one at 6:45 minutes/mile pace wasn't really "jogging", though. I really like Bill Bowerman's jogging programs in his 1967 book "Jogging".

Oh, what are his jogging programs? Well, for men and women starting in better than average physical condition, at the end of 12 weeks, pace level 5 has you jogging the intervals at between 5:20 and 6:40 minutes per mile pace. In metric units a typical day is:
2x jog 100m, walk 100m
2x jog 800m, walk 100m
4x jog 300m, 200m, 100m walk between as needed
3x jog 100m, walk 100m
Like I said, I really enjoy this jogging stuff.
----------------------------------

Well, you get the idea... like if someone says "I saw you out walking" what might you I respond?

"Oh, yeah, I always walk for 15 minutes before jogging down to the track for a 24x 150m interval workout."

"Yeah, van Aaken said you should walk an ultramarathon before you run one, so I'm getting ready to walk a 62 mile (100K) race."

"Isn't walking great? There was a racewalker who worked out at our high school track and he could walk a mile in under 7 minutes - and he wasn't really breathing all that hard."

Gee - this makes me want to get out and do some jogging.

Gino

4boysmom
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 10:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 4boysmom     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I consider myself a runner. Neighbors comment that they always see me out running. Haven't heard the term jogging for awhile.

That said, I'm working with a coach. Frequently he will use the term 'jog'. As in 400x4, ez jog between. He means a very slow run, just faster than a fast walk.

As far as my training log, I frequently refer to my slower recovery runs as 'easy little trot'.

The only time I've really been offended was the 'sports med' doctor continued to refer to HMs as 'mini marathon'. Around here, 'minis' are any distance between 10K and HM. I was new to running and the fact that I could do a HM was a big deal!

gale813
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gale813   Click Here to Email gale813     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jogging is a term that originated during the first running boom in the 70s. Who knows how or why running was called jogging, but it was. Anyone that ran around their neighborhood was a jogger. It wasn't a derogatory term. It was just a term. Kinda like... I used to be called a waitress, I am now a server.

Soooooo.... I am no longer a jogging waitress, I am a running server.

Gotta love being "politically correct".

------------------
Running sober, one step at a time!!!My Profile

Ailuromancy
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 10:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ailuromancy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Now that that's sorted out, can we get our teeth into "walking" vs "strolling".

Jim Sullivan
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 11:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Sullivan   Click Here to Email Jim Sullivan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't use the word "jog". To me, there's just running, racing, and tanking.

tbone615
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 11:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tbone615     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't use the word "run". To me there's only jogging, slogging, and walking.

Julia Sugarbaker
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 04:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Julia Sugarbaker     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use the words interchangeably. Some runners think "jogger" is an insult and say it to put down other runners. Name calling hasn't hurt my widdle feewings since elementary school, so I'm not really affected by the great running/ jogging debate.

TammyM
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 04:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TammyM   Click Here to Email TammyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gale813:

Gotta love being "politically correct".

isn't that an oxymoron?? I find there to be very little that is correct about politics

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: