Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

Running vs. Jogging

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running vs. Jogging
Starrr126
posted Jun-30-2007 04:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Starrr126   Click Here to Email Starrr126     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I find the terms used more based on location and purpose over being mean or whatever. Like, running around the neighborhood or on local trails or something is going for a jog, implying being casual, being fun, laid back. When you're in a race or you're training for a race people are running...even if you're doing the exact same thing in the exact same way it's like the ultimate purpose changes the wording and also where you're doing it at. Same with the server waitress thing. I find servers work at nicer/classier places where waiter/waitresses work at like Dennys. That's just me perhaps.

IP: Logged

speedrun
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2007 04:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for speedrun   Click Here to Email speedrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In terms of words the only difference is that running is faster than jogging.I think that is a given and we can pretty much agree on that.

However more importanly is the spiritual side. To me a jogger is person who is just doing it b/c it "good" for him. Don't get me wrong running is great, but beyond that a jogger doesn't go too far. A jogger never truly pushes themselves, they will fight the pain for a few minutes but then give up. The jogger isn't too torn apart by miss goals or runs. They just finishes races. He is just there.

But a runner is much more than that. He will encounter the pain of running and pushes himself on their limits, trying not to give up until the run is truly over. It is when you feel somewhat upset or annoyed when you don't get to run on your running days. It is during races that finishing is just nothing more than a few quick steps, that you challenge yourself, trying to beat the clock that has beaten you and others many time. Not only to you challenge yourself but others around you with the simple question that all runners ask each other..."Think you can keep up with me?"

newguy56
Cool Runner
posted Jul-21-2007 08:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newguy56   Click Here to Email newguy56     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jogging Running???

Heck 15 miles at 8 to 9 min pace you can call it jogging or running I don't care most people cannot walk that far. Nuff said.

KristineC
posted Jul-21-2007 11:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for KristineC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Am i the only one who thought the Ron Burgandy quote was right on!!

rochey
Cool Runner
posted Jul-21-2007 04:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rochey   Click Here to Email rochey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
On Thursday evening my husband (not a runner) told our 3.5 year old that he was going running as soon as I got home. The 3.5 year old promptly quipped, "No daddy, you're going jogging. Mommy goes running."

------------------
My profile
Me

mean miler
posted Jul-21-2007 04:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mean miler     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
well in my runs i go at about a 7:00 mile pace and i consider that running, but not everyone can be as fast as me so i think if you are going slower than a 9:00 mile pace i consider that jogging.

RunnersHigh43
Cool Runner
posted Jul-21-2007 08:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunnersHigh43     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mean miler:
well in my runs i go at about a 7:00 mile pace and i consider that running, but not everyone can be as fast as me so i think if you are going slower than a 9:00 mile pace i consider that jogging.

Does the person who runs a 5 minute mile or faster during their runs think that a 7 minute pace is jogging?

obsessor
Cool Runner
posted Jul-21-2007 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for obsessor   Click Here to Email obsessor     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I jog most of the time. During a repeat or "on" portion of an interval, or during a race, or maybe the occasional tempo run or hill sprint - at those times I am running. The rest is jogging, or running. You pick, I don't care.

------------------
My Profile

Joyrunner
unregistered
posted Jul-31-2007 06:51 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Dear jfourman,
From a 48 year old, chubby female who started running/jogging/trotting/walking really fast/stopping to catch my breath and starting all over again person who gets out there daily whether it is 75, 60 and raining, or -20, I felt compelled to reply to your question
"When you run, do you feel like "prey" or like a "hunter"?

I feel like...JOYful. My body is working and I am alive.

mochang
Cool Runner
posted Jul-31-2007 07:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mochang   Click Here to Email mochang     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Try this link for your answer...

www.cooljogging.com

NYCross
Cool Runner
posted Aug-01-2007 12:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NYCross     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with Starrr and Obsessor that a person isn't necessarily running all the time or jogging all the time, but it depends on the circumstances. Someone who's a "runner" may jog a warmup or jog around the track in between intervals. If you are planning to go on a run at 10 min/mile pace, and you start with a mile at 12 min/mile pace to warmup, I'd say that you jogged a mile at the beginning of the run. I'd say the same thing about someone planning a run at 7 min/mile who started at 9 min/mile. It wouldn't be meant as an insult, just as a way to differentiate a relatively slower, easier part of a workout from a faster part.

tbone615
Cool Runner
posted Aug-01-2007 02:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tbone615     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"To me, all runners are good runners. Fast runners don't have better character than slow runners just because they have the right combination of fast- and slow-twitch muscle fibers. Neither are slow runners more moral just because they raise funds for charity groups. I like all runners equally, as long as they play fair and set a good fitness example for their friends and local communities."

Amby Burfoot.

fuzz
Cool Runner
posted Aug-01-2007 02:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fuzz     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That's easy, snogging's way more fun.

Oh, you said running vs. jogging...

purelyshell
Cool Runner
posted Aug-01-2007 03:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for purelyshell   Click Here to Email purelyshell     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iontach:
I tend to wait until they overtake me, then leap sideways, bring them down, and feast on their flesh.

You're too funny!

fyodor79
posted Aug-01-2007 09:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fyodor79   Click Here to Email fyodor79     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey, my wife and I just started the couch25k plan, and being a former English teacher, I just can't help but throw my two cents in regarding this debate...

I've always partitioned jogging/running like this:

Jogging is primarily an aerobic activity, where oxygen is able to still fuel the muscles. For some people, this is barely more than a walk- for others (elite athletes) it is quite fast indeed. However, the speed is not determinative- it is the way in which the body is propelling itself over the ground. The lungs are necessary to continue movement.

Running is competitive anareobic activity where the muscles are feasting on oxygen already in the blood and/or carbohydrates or whatever is there. I'm no biochemist. But it's what allows a person (even a heavy smoker) to sprint short distances without needing to take a breath. Your CV system can be junk and you can still move 100 feet pretty fast if necessity and adrenaline propelled you. When I think "running" I think moving as fast as you can- a dead sprint. No human can keep up that pace for too long. Once again, however, some people sprint slower than other people "jog". It's all relative.

I also agree with the competitive connotation, as in one "jogs" for training, regardless of how strenuous it is, and then "runs" in a race. The fact that some people jog unbelievably slow (myself included) shouldn't diminish the achievements of those who job incredibly fast. I'm sure plenty of people are horrendous at basketball, but they're still playing the same game Michael Jackson did. He's not an "orange globe engineer" or something like that.

So, I think the moderate "junner" does a little bit of both. Primarily the lungs allow for the long distances, but the muscles operate anearobically while the lungs catch their breath, or at the end of a long jog, when the "kick" comes into play.

Just my two cents!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: