Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

How many miles before you should change your shoes?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How many miles before you should change your shoes?
thejoggler
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 02:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for thejoggler   Click Here to Email thejoggler     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just noticed that I've got 349 miles on my current pair of shoes. They feel ok but I think I should probably get new ones.

Anyone have advice on how far you should run on a given pair of shoes?

------------------
Learn to joggle - sport of the future. http://justyouraveragejoggler.com

IP: Logged

tflightfoot
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 02:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tflightfoot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Depends on the shoes - usually 400-500, so you're probably getting close. It's nice to get a new pair before the old ones are completely busted, that way you can rotate them for a while.

jonhardt
posted May-30-2007 03:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jonhardt   Click Here to Email jonhardt     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I thought I read 500 miles was the limit - of course it depends on the shoe and the runner as well. I weight 200+ so maybe I might be a little harder on my shoes than a 110 lb woman. I would have to think that a premium shoe like Asics Kayano might wear a little better than just your standard shoe too....

------------------
www.blogtorun.com

AndyHass
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 03:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AndyHass   Click Here to Email AndyHass     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I go 700, but they're reduced to short runs only past 600.

sack77
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 02:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sack77     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am also a 200 pound runner and rock the Kayanos. In the past, when I've run with one pair at a time only, I've only gotten around 300 miles before they start to feel worn out. Just recently, I bought 2 pairs and have been rotating them every other day. I have 350 on the slightly older pair and they feel brand new still. I am interested to see how long they will last. I play it more by feel then just mileage, once my knees start getting even a little sore I relegate them to the lawn mowing pile.

------------------
My User Profile

My Blog

srlopez
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 03:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for srlopez     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Depends on the shoes and also depends on how hard you are on them (which has do with your form).

I get 300 miles and no more out of Mizuno Alchemys.

I get 400ish out of Brooks Adrenaline.

I get 600ish out of Brooks Trance.

How do I know for sure that my shoes are done? Two ways... one, if I wear a hole in the tread, they are done. This happens to me on my right shoe sometimes because I have bad form - I push off with a twist on my forefoot.

Also, if I experience knee pain, I usually know that my shoes have died. Switch to new shoes, and it goes away. Through years of trial-and-error, this is part of how I know the numbers above... especially with the Alchemy. 290, I'm ok. 320, I'm hurting. Every time. So I switch these at 300 now, religiously.

But everyone is different.

I know some people who run their shoes over 1,000.

JimR
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 03:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JimR   Click Here to Email JimR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've got several pairs on the go, the least mileage is about 250 miles, the others are between 500 and over 1000 miles. I'll get another pair soon to rotate in. My most 'comfy' ones are getting pretty beat up.

trifecta
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 03:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for trifecta   Click Here to Email trifecta     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Try rotating your old and new pairs. I've a couple of pairs of shoes with 500+ miles that are fine for recovery runs and probably will be for another couple hundred miles or more. I wouldn't use them for a 15-mile run but I have newer shoes for that. Old shoes for slow short runs (plus treadmill); new shoes for long runs, speed work, and races. It'd be a big waste for me to throw out a pair of shoes at 350 miles just because they're no good for long runs.

breger1
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 03:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for breger1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You all are lucky.

I rotate between 2 to 3 pair usually and I typically get about 300 to 350 miles out of my shoes before the little niggling aches and pains begin. This is my signal they're about done.

Bill

PS: and it's not from wearing low quality shoes. I wear Asics Gel-Nimbus.

------------------
Bill's Profile

zoomharp
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2007 11:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zoomharp     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyHass:
I go 700, but they're reduced to short runs only past 600.
And for you that's, like, a month and a half?

I like the idea of semi-retiring them to shorter runs. Thanks, Andy.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: