Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

running holsters

Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   running holsters
spartanrmd
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2007 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spartanrmd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was on an earlier thread and this subject came up. I use a neopreme belly band when I run – it keeps the gun close to the body and it doesn’t bounce around. ( I carry a full frame berretta sometimes if i dont have a glock handy)

Here are some other good running holsters:

http://www.thunderwear.com/

http://www.smartcarry.com/

I know a lot of people that just take any belt slide holster and move it to the center and it works pretty good too .

The cheapest and best slide holster for running I think will always be the yaqui rigs with the thumb breaks on them

IP: Logged

Foxdog449
posted May-23-2007 02:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Foxdog449     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey Spartan, thanks for that info, I generally just do what you said and put it in the middle and it doesn't bounce too bad. I generally just put my S&W Airweight in my med frame 357 holster---which is bigger-- and put it on a belt and wear in the middle if i run at night in rural areas. This works ok but I would have a hard time concealing it in the warmer months here so I am going to look into one of the holsters you showed us...thanks,

bugrit
posted May-23-2007 02:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bugrit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I find a Taurus Titanium 38 with +P much more comfortable even than the S&W, and it was quite a bit cheaper. I don't feel I'm losing too much in the speed of the bullet, and the hole it leaves is the same width. As far as holsters, Belly Band is the only thing that stops bounce that I've found.
bugrit

spartanrmd
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 02:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for spartanrmd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bugrit:
I As far as holsters, Belly Band is the only thing that stops bounce that I've found.
bugrit

yea absolutely the belly band is the best for no bouncing - the only drawback (tiny) is the yuck factor of it being right up against the skin (even worse it putting it back on wet)

Years ago I saw one that was lined with removable terry cloth and have never been able to find one like it and no one knows what i am talking about or who makes it.

I was thinking of making my own with the same liner that some of the new body armor incorporates.

rokclmb
posted May-24-2007 04:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rokclmb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spartanrmd:
[B]I was on an earlier thread and this subject came up. I use a neopreme belly band when I run ...

What's a neoprene belly band? Is it something that is easy to fine?

spartanrmd
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 08:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for spartanrmd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What's a neoprene belly band? Is it something that is easy to fine?

LOL good question - most gunshops will have one or even better a law enforcement supply store.

OR if you have an old SCUBA wet suit you dont use and some big pieces of velcro and a sewing machine they are easy to make - just take a peice of leather or good piece of tactical nylon and trace the ouline of your gun and then sew it to the material like you want and bingo - instant running holster

just put the opposing pieces of velcro on each end and strap in on.

one i used for years was a back support like dock workers and truckers use - can buy them at truck stops and saftey stores - just do the same with the leather

shheeesshhh im turning into a martha stewart

Carrie Anne
posted May-24-2007 01:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Carrie Anne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
spartanrmd- this is my very first cool runnings post. I get on the site all the time to read what others have to say though. Anyway- I read your post regarding your encounter with the cobra- WOW!
I did a web search for belly bands without any luck. I appreciate the referral to the other sites. I have been looking for a holster for my little 32-Kel Tec pistol.I just don't won't it to bounce around, (makes me a little nervous as it doesn't have a safety, just a long trigger pull). Do you think the holster's on the site you forwarded would suit my purpose? Is there any danger of the gun flopping out of the holster? I run in some pretty isolated areas of the NC mountains and think that I would rather have the gun visable, (as a deterrent), instead of completely concealed.

TwentySixOrBust
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 02:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwentySixOrBust     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I recentlyordered a smartcarry for my Bersa 380 Thunder. Will have a review for you all in about a week.

Arrojo
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Arrojo   Click Here to Email Arrojo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Are you folks all from Texas? Just wondering.

Chris the Wheeler
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Chris the Wheeler     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Am I missing something? Why would you need to carry a gun while running...?

CLB
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CLB   Click Here to Email CLB     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arrojo:
Are you folks all from Texas? Just wondering.

Probably north of there some.

imfl03
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for imfl03   Click Here to Email imfl03     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TwentySixOrBust:
I recentlyordered a smartcarry for my Bersa 380 Thunder. Will have a review for you all in about a week.

Hate to hijack this thread, but do you have any trouble with the safety on the thing? I bought one for me, and one for my father. His safety works fine, but mine was a nighmare. I had to take it apart and file the safety trigger to make it slide easier.

Anyway, It'll be intersting to see what you say about the smartcarry.

S

spartanrmd
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spartanrmd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris the Wheeler:
Am I missing something? Why would you need to carry a gun while running...?

the same reason one would need to carry a gun while walking :-)

sorry couldnt resist that

actually since you asked - runners are perceived as more vulnerable to a lot of the low lifes out there and to add to the mix a lot of runners run at bad hours when all the cops are at the dunkin doughnuts ( just kidding love you guys but you know what i mean)

not to mention dogs / critters

If I was living in newark nj near bloomfield ave and my lady choose to run in the wee hours I woud encorage her to carry.

I carry because some of these jihadist idiots here in iraq would rather i didnt :-)

spartanrmd
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spartanrmd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Anne:
spartanrmd- this is my very first cool runnings post. I get on the site all the time to read what others have to say though. Anyway- I read your post regarding your encounter with the cobra- WOW!
I did a web search for belly bands without any luck. I appreciate the referral to the other sites. I have been looking for a holster for my little 32-Kel Tec pistol.I just don't won't it to bounce around, (makes me a little nervous as it doesn't have a safety, just a long trigger pull). Do you think the holster's on the site you forwarded would suit my purpose? Is there any danger of the gun flopping out of the holster? I run in some pretty isolated areas of the NC mountains and think that I would rather have the gun visable, (as a deterrent), instead of completely concealed.

the trigger is the safey - just like glocks - if it goes off when your carrying it - it was an act of God

here is a link to the gould and goodrich holster that a lot of usss guys use

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum881.php

if you get it get it a little tighter than you think you might need because this one tends to stretch out a bit over time if your running with it

besides if your from NC you need to support gould and goodrich because they are an NC company - Lillington NC

know where wilkseboro nc is ? (brushy mountains)

Mort82
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 04:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mort82   Click Here to Email Mort82     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spartanrmd:

the same reason one would need to carry a gun while walking :-)

sorry couldnt resist that

actually since you asked - runners are perceived as more vulnerable to a lot of the low lifes out there and to add to the mix a lot of runners run at bad hours when all the cops are at the dunkin doughnuts ( just kidding love you guys but you know what i mean)

not to mention dogs / critters

If I was living in newark nj near bloomfield ave and my lady choose to run in the wee hours I woud encorage her to carry.

I carry because some of these jihadist idiots here in iraq would rather i didnt :-)

A treadmill could save your life and another person's too.

A gun to run with? That's ridiculous!

IF you're in the middle of a war zone, yeah, ok, but come on people!

Paranoid idiots need medication.

Carrie Anne
posted May-24-2007 04:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Carrie Anne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
spartanrmd- thanks. I think this site carries the product that is more along the lines of what I am looking for. As for the Wilkesboro question-that is basically the area I am in-just a bit deeper into the mountains.

Arrojo- Not from Texas, but often running in areas where I am a minority because I have a full set of teeth. Also- a friend was recently stalked by a rabid bobcat.

xBarry31
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 05:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for xBarry31     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Safety first!

TwentySixOrBust
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 05:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwentySixOrBust     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Mort,

If you don't agree with carrying a gun then why read a thread about it? If you don't want to carry a gun then that's fine, and you have a right to say so, but insults about medication etc are not helpful, nor do they make you sound like a particulalrly reasonable person.

Anyways...

I have no problem with the safety on my Bersa. Works greats. Love the decocker too, lets me carry hammer down, one in the pipe, safety off. DA Trigger pull is too heavy to pull by accident. When the time comes it's just point and click.

I haven't carried my gun on my runs so far because I've been researching a holster.

WHY I want to carry is the same reason that I carry when I'm out and about. Violent crime can strike at any time, to any person. There are those of us who realize that was don't have our own personal cop following us around 24x7, so when that crime happens we're on our own. Self-sufficiency is a wonderful thing.

Last I heard violent criminals didn't have a No-Crime-Against-Runners policy.

[This message has been edited by TwentySixOrBust (edited May-24-2007).]

xBarry31
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 05:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for xBarry31     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TwentySixOrBust:
When the time comes it's just point and click.

figbash
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 06:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for figbash   Click Here to Email figbash     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I prefer a shotgun.

I have one of those cool sling holsters like Michael Douglas used in Romancing The Stone. That way if I'm ever involved in a gun fight while I'm running I'll be able to whip it out quicker than the bad guys.

Tom

------------------
My Profile
My Running Log

runawayjesse
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 07:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runawayjesse     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Huh, you guys really need to carry a gun while running? Geesh what kind of a world do we live in?

davemacd76
posted May-24-2007 07:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for davemacd76     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
why on earth are you running with handguns?
Don't you guys see a problem with this???
My lord....

TwentySixOrBust
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 08:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwentySixOrBust     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm not getting into a gun debate. This is a holster-for-running discussion. You want a gun debate, go to a gun forum.

Southern Man
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 08:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Southern Man     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort82:

Paranoid idiots need medication.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Southern Man

------------------
We're on a road to nowhere. Come on along.

Mort82
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2007 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mort82   Click Here to Email Mort82     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Man:
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Southern Man

well I guess that perception is a reality

Geesh, I wonder how many accidental deaths there are due to handguns vs them used by innocent bystanders to defend themselves.

Just curious.

Oh, and the holster, I just keep my gun nice and tidy in my compression shorts, its not too big, and doesn't get much action, though.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: