Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Liam

Running Quotes ...

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running Quotes ...
Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Apr-12-2006 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glenwood96:
"It's not the critic who counts, nor the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Roosevelt 1910

My favorite. I think every sportscaster should be forced to read this before they go on the air. I'll pick on them just for starters.

IP: Logged

dahai
Cool Runner
posted Apr-12-2006 10:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dahai   Click Here to Email dahai     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Champions are made when no one is watching."

dahai
Cool Runner
posted Apr-12-2006 10:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dahai   Click Here to Email dahai     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Speak softly and carry a big kick."

Teatime
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 12:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Teatime   Click Here to Email Teatime     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Who made you his judge? He was probably the greatest American distance runner ever. I doubt a drunk could endure the level of training Pre endured and hold every American distance recored between 2 and 6 miles. Yes, his blood alcohol was supposedly slightly above the legal limit at his death but also remember, it was tested by a coronor. There is also reason to believe another car was involved in the accident. Sure, he partied at times but that doesn't make him a drunk. Show some respect to the dead. Was he troubled? I don't think any more than anyone else. As for Pre being dead....yes, he is but in a way he lives on in every runner gutting it out in a race. When your totally wasted, and want to quit but dig down deep and keep running despite the pain and misery. Go Pre!
quote:
Originally posted by randymar:
Keep this in mind, please.

As talented as Prefontaine was, he was troubled, he was a drunk, and he's dead.

------------------
My Profile

TheMountaineer
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 04:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheMountaineer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You will find it was not even a medical expert that examined his blood content, it was an undertaker.

------------------
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize.
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

My User Profile
My Climbing Photos

sparkle12
posted Apr-13-2006 04:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sparkle12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Also- not to be rude- what would it matter if he was a troubled drunk anyway? Would this invalidate his achievements? None of us are perfect- if we were, we wouldn't need to run ;-)

Maybe we should have a handicap system for runners. Teetotal balanced runners who floss regularly and are kind to their children would have no minutes added on to their PBs.
Drunkards get ten minutes added on.
Really evil people (say, people who drop chewing gum that gets stuck in my running shoes) should get a whole hour added on.

;-)

Teatime
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 05:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Teatime   Click Here to Email Teatime     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm currently reading "Pre". So far, it doesn't say anything about him being troubled or a drunk. Actually, he did a lot of work with local youth, giving running clinics and stuff like that. I'm not trying to make him out to be some kind of saint. He was just a gifted runner who wanted to make the most of that gift. Go Pre!

------------------
My Profile

yellowlamp
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 07:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for yellowlamp     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportiGrl:

"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing." - William Feather

i love that one! conveniently, i read it just after getting back from a long run that took me forever to decide to do because theres a 30mph wind out! made my day

retroelectro
posted Apr-13-2006 10:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for retroelectro     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My personal favorite (as written on t-shirts for a high school cross-country team):

"Our sport is other sports' punishment."

libbys04
posted May-01-2006 03:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for libbys04   Click Here to Email libbys04     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"In that he didn't die at the finish line, he could have run faster" -- Tim Noakes

Achilles58
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2006 05:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Achilles58     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Me: "Coach, it hurts when I do this."
Coarch: "Well ... Don't do that"

But 'pass the slow, hurdle the dead' is what I'll remember from this, the 73rd thread I've read on running quotes..

runxc09
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2006 05:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runxc09     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
stolen from another coolrunner but still my favorite quote....

"I do today what you won't So I can do tomorrow what you can't."

Helps me get through workouts. Good motivation that this training will all pay off someday...

lyric12
posted May-01-2006 06:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lyric12   Click Here to Email lyric12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

My motto.

KyleMcM
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2006 11:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KyleMcM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I saw a quote on this site a year or so ago that went something like this "Running is different from other sports, all the others require just one ball"

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: