Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

2007 Sub 20-Minute Goal 5K Thread

Topic is 12 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   2007 Sub 20-Minute Goal 5K Thread
MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 11:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The original sub 20 minute thread seems to be broken. A different thread seemed to continue the original sub 20 minute thread. However, if someone new were to join coolrunning, they would not quickly identify its purpose.

There were two individuals, Docster and SiriusFun who described their sub 20 minute 5K's in the other thread. We do not let those efforts go unnoticed: Docster's gun time 19:54 / watch time 19:52 and SiriusFun's 19:53: congratulations

If you have a minute, please post when your next attempt will be.

My goal 5K is August 4.

Good running all

IP: Logged

angrek
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 12:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angrek   Click Here to Email angrek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Congrats to Docster and SiriusFun!! Nice job!!!

As for me, I'm backing off for a bit and going back to work on my base, or rather, my lack thereof. Not a lot of good summer races in Tampa so I've decided to move my weekly miles up from ~15-20 to around 35 or 45 during the next two or so months. After that I'm going to give the Aggie 5K program that someone mentioned in another thread a shot. Should drop me perfectly on Gasparilla in February and hopefully in good contention for winning the military division. I picked up The Race for the Cure 5K here in October so I'll probably actually drop those 4 seconds off to go sub 20 then.

markc7
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 03:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for markc7   Click Here to Email markc7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a 5K coming up this weekend. My current PR (set two weeks ago) is 21:48. The race I'm doing this weekend is where I set a PR a couple years ago so I know it's pretty fast. I'm not going to be shooting for sub-20 this time around because I haven't had enough time to do speedwork. But I'm hoping to keep shaving seconds here and there at the next couple races. Maybe in the fall I'll make an attempt at 19:59.

------------------
Mark

Vegan 100 Miler

tflightfoot
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 06:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tflightfoot     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My designated sub-20 goal race is Sept. 12. Good mostly-flat course; not super-fast competition. Just how I like it!

May do one or two others before then. Working on rebuilding my base (ran a HM at the end of April and am finally back on track), right now at about 25 mpw but looking increasing long runs quickly. Also working harder during speedwork sessions every Tuesday.

Current 5k PR is 20:41.

Good luck gang!

I'll start posting once a week, probably on Sundays.

Docster
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 08:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Docster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for firing up a new thread, Maine.

And of course best of luck to you folks on the edge! As for me...now I have to prove (to myself) that I can do it again, if not consistently. I have a 4 miler in a few weeks so we'll see how that goes.

PapaBanucci
posted Jun-29-2007 08:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PapaBanucci     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My goal 5K is in August.

I turn 40 here in 3 more weeks.

Only been running 3 years.

I'm presently on week 6 of the Cool Running Advanced 5K program.

corland14
Cool Runner
posted Jul-02-2007 01:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for corland14   Click Here to Email corland14     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I posted late in the old sub 20 5k thread. I made my first attempt at the distance on 6/23. It didn't go well. I was 6:33 through 1 mile, 13:14 through 2 miles, and wound up with an almost shamefull blow up - 21:12.

I could tell 1 mile in that there was no way it was gonna happen. Still, I was close to a friend who I thought I had a shot at through 2 miles. When he left me during the 3rd mile I lost focus and slowed significantly.

Oh well, next shot will be 7/22. I hope to break 20:30 that day. I may take another shot at it late fall.

Good luck all

markc7
Cool Runner
posted Jul-02-2007 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for markc7   Click Here to Email markc7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran my second 5K in two weeks yesterday. The previous one I dropped my PR by a full minute to 21:48. This time around I wasn't expecting any big improvement, and I wasn't surprised to come in at 22 flat. I'm going to hold off on racing for a few weeks and get in some better speed work. In the fall I'll hopefully be in shape for a serious attempt at sub 20.

------------------
Mark

Vegan 100 Miler

runwalkjog
posted Jul-03-2007 10:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runwalkjog     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran two 5k races in May a week a part and both at 21:24 PR. In June I ran a tough hilly and humid 22: 20 5k and a 10k trail race at an 8:08 pace. My last race on June 13th was 2.5 miles in 16:36, which is equivalent to a 21:04 5k. If I would have maintained the pace for another half mile I would have ran a 20:37 5k. The temperature for the 2.5 mile race was 95f and my weight was 210 lbs.

My mileage for the year has been 30-40 Miles per week. My weekly mileage since June 10th has dropped to 27, 20 and last week 10 miles. I did not run Sunday, Monday or today and have a 5k race tomorrow July 4th. My mileage drop is due to seasonal work demands which really takes a toll on me physically. Luckily I have a break until the end of July so I can increase my mileage again. I will also probably lose the first two weeks in August.

My question is what can I expect from my race on the 4th? I have only ran 7 days in the last 3 weeks and did not run in the 5 days before the race. My weight has not change significantly and is around 208 lbs

[This message has been edited by runwalkjog (edited Jul-03-2007).]

[This message has been edited by runwalkjog (edited Jul-03-2007).]

Tchuck
Cool Runner
posted Jul-04-2007 07:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tchuck   Click Here to Email Tchuck     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Weather is a factor. You will probably run between 21 and 21:30. You are at a point where you are losing some "aerobic" steam so holding goal pace may be a challenge. Just don't start too fast and give it a go. Be able to finish strong. You may surprise yourself.

------------------
Todd

PapaBanucci
posted Jul-04-2007 08:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PapaBanucci     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm at week 7 on the advanced 5k program from this site.

Today I ran a 5K. 20:04. Bummed. Completely bummed.

I was way over-trained last week (snuck in an extra 13 miles / 5,500 vertical ft. of mountain hiking).

Anyhow, I was cruising ahead of pace just fine. To discover that my GPS go optimistic by about 1/10th of a mile and I couldn't make it up at the end after discovering it.

Grrr.

Anyhow, I think I'll get it.

runwalkjog
posted Jul-04-2007 11:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runwalkjog     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tchuck:
Weather is a factor. You will probably run between 21 and 21:30. You are at a point where you are losing some "aerobic" steam so holding goal pace may be a challenge. Just don't start too fast and give it a go. Be able to finish strong. You may surprise yourself.

I actually faired better than I thought. I started out slower but managed to run my 3rd mile faster than my 2nd mile. I did lose some aerobic steam but still manage to run a 21:45. The wind was a factor and it slowed my final surge. I was hoping for anything under 22:00. My goal is still a sub 20:00 in the fall.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2007 07:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a 5k Saturday morning July 7 at 8:30 am.

I haven't raced since June 1st when I ran under the weather and notched a time of 20:56. Though I have run 2 test runs alone with times of 20:48 and 20:27. I am running about 33 miles per week since my last race.

My PR is 20:22 set in early May. I am planning to take today off and run 4 miles or so tomorrow nice and easy. But I might decide to run a few miles today anyhow as tapering doesnt seem to help 5k times that much for me.

I am gunning for a PR (20:21 or better Saturday). I have yet to see the course.

danimal97tj
posted Jul-05-2007 10:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for danimal97tj   Click Here to Email danimal97tj     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Speedwork on Tuesday I did a 2 m warm up followed by a 1 mile PR of 6:09, then a 2 lap recovery, followed by 2x800's done at 3:04 and 3:00 respectively with 1 lap recoveries. How close am I to 20:00 with all other things like weather and wind being equal?

------------------
Big AND Fast is hard to do but I'm trying

SiriusFun
posted Jul-05-2007 11:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SiriusFun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I did a last second 2 mile Fun Run in 12:37, McMillan projects a 20:29 5k. I ended up 3rd overall. I was about 1 minute behind 2nd place and 1 minute in front of 4th place, so it felt like I was running by myself almost the whole way. There was a ginormous 3/4 mile hill half way through that seriously slowed the pace. The unfortunate thing is I tweaked my Achilles (I hope it's not tendinitis/tendinosis), so I will be roller skiing until I'm back at 100%. Good luck to everyone.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2007 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danimal97tj:
Speedwork on Tuesday I did a 2 m warm up followed by a 1 mile PR of 6:09, then a 2 lap recovery, followed by 2x800's done at 3:04 and 3:00 respectively with 1 lap recoveries. How close am I to 20:00 with all other things like weather and wind being equal?

McMillan calcs say you need to run a 5:46 mile to run a 20:00 5k. My junior year of high school my PR mile was 6:20 and my best 5k was 22:18. My senior year my PR mile was 5:52 and my 5k best was 20:30.

Today my mile PR is 5:48 and 5k is 20:22.
So you are probably running 5ks in the 21s.

Tawanda101
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2007 11:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tawanda101   Click Here to Email Tawanda101     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello Everyone!

I have tried to post twice here today and somehow it has all gotten messed up, so here goes again!

I have read your thread off and on for a few months. You are all very encouraging and inspirational! It is fun to watch you improve and share you accomplishments.

I have wanted to break 20:00 for years but this is the first time I feel I can actually do the training to do it since 2003.
Brief History:
5k PR 2003 20:00:02
2004 20:20 (tripped and fell, same race)
2003 10k PR 42:02
2002 HM PR 1: 36:xx

I was pregnant with my third child and moved across the country in late 2004-2005. It is only in the past six months I have seriously started running and training again. I average 30-33 miles a week. I usually do one track workout with longer intervals (1200's, mile repeats). I am following the advanced cr schedule (week 3) but change it a little depending on kids etc. My most recent 5k was in May, 22:22. and that was in a thunderstorm and a few rolling hills. I did manage third in my age group. (30-34).

I would love to join your group in the quest of a sub 20:00 5k!
Good luck to you all!

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2007 12:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Welcome tawanda.
Sounds like you have the will to beat 20.

I have been going over my race strategy by looking at the numbers of my previous runs.

I should run my 1st mile in the 6:30s.
I may get lucky and sneak into the 6:20s but I do not want to overextend in mile one which will hurt me later in the race,
I think I am capable of running mile 1 in 6:28-6:32 and still have the energy to push it after that.

I have to tell myself that the race begins when I hit the 1 mile mark. The 2nd mile is the key to how I will do in a 5k. If you don't have it that day then your 3rd mile will suffer no matter what. But if you do have it (a good race day) but you play it conservatively on mile two you won't have the chance to PR or break 20 so you have to go after mile 2 hard the way I see it.

I am not saying I will burn myself to the ground but I am going to attempt to run right up to my limit on mile 2 and tell myself its okay because if its not my day at least I will know I gave myself a shot at a PR. Of course if I run mile one correctly (staying within myself) I should feel okay on the 2nd mile.

Realistically I think I will be around 13:15 for 2 miles. But I am hoping I can run somwhere around 13:05.

The third mile is going to hurt but I trust that I can at least keep the legs going for the 1st half mile then as I get closer to the finish I will find the will to speed up and finish.

The race starts at mile 2.

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2007 12:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Quite a few fast races have been posted - congratulations everyone.

Tawanda101: I tried to post earlier today, and received an error also. I'm glad your post finally went through, and I hope this one does too!

MichaganFlyer: Good luck this weekend. Even though you haven't been racing, didn't you do a couple sub 21 minute 5K "solo races" in June? I would think the adrenalin and excitement of a race will give you a boost.

danimal97tj: It is hard to predict race times based on one workout. FWIW, McMillan's Running Calculator predicts a 21:18 5K for someone who has a 6:09 one mile PR.

I raced a "5K" last weekend. I put 5K in quotes because I'm not sure if the course was accurate. My time was 20:26, but I have an awful feeling the course was short. It was a good workout. The race replaced a Tinman CV session.

Yesterday I did my first Tinman "tempo-combo" workout which included the following:
2 miles EZ (shooting for 8:26 pace, but was fast 8:15 pace),
5 miles at Tinman Tempo pace (shooting for 7:26 per mile and ended up 7:27 pace).
4 x 30 seconds hill charges at 2-mile pace (go by feel). I ran them "as hard as I could."
2 mile cool down, including 2 X 100m at 1-mile pace, jogging 200m between pickups. The 100m striders were run harder than Tinman Tempo pace, but not as hard as the hill charges.
It was a tough workout.

My next race is an August 4 5K where my goal will be sub 20 minutes.

For information about Tinman workouts see www.therunzone.com.

Blog (if interested has race report of 20:26 "5k")

Tawanda101
Cool Runner
posted Jul-06-2007 07:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tawanda101   Click Here to Email Tawanda101     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Evenin' all

Thanks for the welcome!

I just finished 3x 1 mile repeats and for the first time in forever kept them uner 7 mm. I had 6:56, 6:57, 6:57. 1 mile warm up and cool down and jogged 400 in between. Felt tough but not so hard that I couldn't keep going. I feel my next 5k there will be a drop from 22:22!

Mainerunner: I checked into the runzone. Really cool! I will definitely be dropping in there! As for the Tinman "tempo-combo" do you do those by yourself or have someone to run off of?

Becka

gcklo
Cool Runner
posted Jul-07-2007 12:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gcklo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaineRunner2001:
The original sub 20 minute thread seems to be broken. A different thread seemed to continue the original sub 20 minute thread. However, if someone new were to join coolrunning, they would not quickly identify its purpose.

There were two individuals, Docster and SiriusFun who described their sub 20 minute 5K's in the other thread. We do not let those efforts go unnoticed: Docster's gun time 19:54 / watch time 19:52 and SiriusFun's 19:53: congratulations

If you have a minute, please post when your next attempt will be.

My goal 5K is August 4.

Good running all

I have 2 5k's in the next 2.5 weeks. The first one - this Sun, will be an attempt to try to finish between 20:30 to 20:40. The 2nd one is on the track so it is flat and fast and my goal will depend on how I finish this coming Sun. Recently, I run 50+ miles / week except in race week. I find that all my training run times have improved significantly since I increased my mileage. But I will find out if the better training will turn into good racing times.

MichiganFlyer2
Cool Runner
posted Jul-07-2007 05:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer2   Click Here to Email MichiganFlyer2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A new PR this morning of 20:17!!!!!!

Here is my race report.

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/010342.shtml

Docster
Cool Runner
posted Jul-07-2007 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Docster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer2:

Here is my race report.

Awesome Michigan! Closer and closer you get. It won't be long now I'm guessing.

kahkah
Cool Runner
posted Jul-07-2007 06:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kahkah     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Here is my race report.

Congrats on the PR!!

I meant to run the race this weekend, but thought it was tomorrow, not today. Oh well...there's Ele's in two weeks.

runwalkjog
posted Jul-07-2007 09:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runwalkjog     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Here is my race report.

Great Job! Your almost there. Your right you look very serious in your photo.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 12 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: