Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Do the tips of your fingers get numb/tingly?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Do the tips of your fingers get numb/tingly?
slick7781
posted Dec-04-2006 02:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for slick7781     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sometimes when I run, some of the tips of my fingers get real white and tingly. It happens more often in the winter but they aren't cold. It takes an hour or so for the color to return and the numbness or tingling to go away. I'm just curious if anyone else experiences this and what it is.

IP: Logged

Boyerdavea
posted Dec-04-2006 03:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Boyerdavea     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Boy does that sound familiar. Not only the tips of my fingers but from the elbow down. Somedays running I can't even feel my water bottles. I just shake hand until the feeling comes back.

I hate Dr. and don't go unless it is a major issue. I see this as a possible major issue in the future if I don't get it checked out soon. Maybe after next weeks marathon.

------------------
David

RunBobaluRun
Cool Runner
posted Dec-04-2006 04:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunBobaluRun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I got a pinched nerve in my neck this summer. Due to a foot injury, I was not running. When I resumed running I found the tingling in my hand and fingers on my right side where the pinched nerve was casuing some pain. I talked to a neurosurgeon and he said it was the disc pushing on the nerve while running--which made sense. Of course he made a passioned argument to reduce my running. I have been doing upper back exercises to strengthen the back and help protect the disc from being pushed into the nerve, and I found this has helped. I also have reduced my running and replaced it with biking and swimming. I still get some tingling and numbness in my right hand, but it is much less.

Bob

------------------
I am dynamic and the mountain is static, but when I run up it I swear it moves.
Bob
My User Profile

yogini runner
Cool Runner
posted Dec-05-2006 07:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for yogini runner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sounds very familiar here.
It is mostly temperature related for me...any thing below 45 will bring it on.

Agree with previous posts regarding nerve damage..I've done enough microscope work to have had carpal tunnel surgery, and I feel my wrists and hands after long bouts of typing.

Symptoms are similar to Raynaud's syndrome, but I'm not sure that is actually what is going on. (edited to correct spelling)

Because mine often come with a post-run chill here are my
solutions:
Try to relax forearms and hands while running.
Don't hang around outside waiting, wait inside or in your car out of the wind.
Gloves/mittens, even if you feel silly.
Room temp liquids pre-run
Change to warm dry clothes ASAP post-run
Warm liquids post-run
Tucking hands into warmest areas when they blanch
immersion in warm, not HOT water

[This message has been edited by yogini runner (edited Dec-06-2006).]

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Dec-05-2006 03:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
They do, but usually it is only my left hand. Not sure why!

Last night I used "Hand Warmers" and had no problems. I think it worth the $ to warrant off the cold. Nothing worse than getting back home and the thaw out begins
You can pick them up almost anywhere.

[This message has been edited by crunningman (edited Dec-05-2006).]

joev9
Cool Runner
posted Dec-05-2006 04:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joev9     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
you might have raynaud's syndrome...

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw180983.asp

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: