Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Converting minutes per mile to MPH

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Converting minutes per mile to MPH
Curran
Cool Runner
posted Mar-06-2006 11:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Curran   Click Here to Email Curran     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm trying to do my speedwork on my treadmill (hate the cold). And I'm wondering in any can tell me how to convert minutes per mile to miles per hour. To be specific I'm trying to calculate the miles per hour if I'm running a 800's at 3:51, 400's at 1:53 etc.

I'm not a math person so this has really stumped me.

IP: Logged

2percenter
posted Mar-06-2006 11:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 2percenter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
x = your min/mile time

(1/(x min/mile))*(60min/hour) = time in miles/hour

e.g. 8:00 min/mile -> 7.5 miles/hour

[This message has been edited by 2percenter (edited Mar-06-2006).]

bub123
posted Mar-06-2006 11:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bub123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

I think the conversion is 800m X 1 mile / 1609m =
That gives you the miles.

3:51min X 1 hour / 60 mins =
This gives you # of hours.

I think

TedAndresen
Cool Runner
posted Mar-06-2006 11:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TedAndresen   Click Here to Email TedAndresen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Curran:
...how to convert minutes per mile to miles per hour.

First you must convert minutes per mile to decimal minutes, such as, 8:15 min/mile = 8.25 min/mile.

Then the magic number is 60. Just divide 60 by the decimal minutes per mile.

For example, 8:15 minutes per mile would be 60/8.25 or 7.27 mph.

10 min/mile = 60/10 or 6 mph.

Let me know if you still need the conversion for the 800, etc.

Ted

Curran
Cool Runner
posted Mar-06-2006 11:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Curran   Click Here to Email Curran     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks all!

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Mar-08-2006 08:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Treadmill speed conversion chart

http://www.anglebar.com/chaneyfamilydotcom/runwithed/treadmill.html

TedAndresen
Cool Runner
posted Mar-09-2006 09:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TedAndresen   Click Here to Email TedAndresen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The table is of limited values. Unfortunately, the first two columns are correct but the rest of the table (Columns 3 and beyaond) is incorrect.

The first line is especially ludicrous where they indicate that a flat road pace of 12:00 min/mile is equivalent to a pace of 12:31. I surmise that the extra 0:31 per/mile is due to air resistance!

Itís amazing what one can hypothesize in the absence of an understanding mathematics and basic physics!

Ted

[This message has been edited by TedAndresen (edited Mar-10-2006).]

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: