Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Frequency: From 3 days a week to 4 days, and 5, 6, and 7 days per week

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Frequency: From 3 days a week to 4 days, and 5, 6, and 7 days per week
ltrun
Cool Runner
posted Jan-13-2006 02:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ltrun   Click Here to Email ltrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A couple folks in the daily run thread talked about streaks.

Per my experience, I've evolved from a 3 day per week runner to now a 5-7 day per week runner. But the transformation has not occurred overnight.

My observations:

When I ran 3-4 time per week, I ran every other day. One day on, one day off.

When I ran 5x/week, I took Monday and Friday off. Pattern was 3 on, Friday off, 2 on, Monday off. The distinction is that the max streak was 3.

When I ran 6x/week, I took Friday off. The pattern was 6 days on and 1 day off. The jump from 5 days to 6 days, to me, is the biggest jump in volume.

The transition to 7x/week is just that. No days off. I've found that running 7x/week made me tough. (Note: I've only done this in base building phase.

All the experienced marathoners I know say that in order to get better, I just had to run more. Well, this is how I progressed. To me, the best mix is 5-6 runs per week with 1-3 good cross training sessions. That seems to be the best mix in order to maintain consistency and avoid injury (I've had no major injuries.)

I wonder if anyone else has some insight on frequency.

------------------
My Profile
Run log

IP: Logged

KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted Jan-13-2006 06:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I discovered long ago that my body thrived on seven days a week--as long as four of those days were short (3-4 mile) and very gentle recovery runs. I'm 47 and that's still how things work. That plus 2 x 8-12 and 1 x 14-15 per week. Occasionally I take a day off altogether, but in any case I'm only a runner three days of the week. The other days I'm a gentle jogger with a deliberately neutered competitive streak. I just won't take the bait when people pass me. Then I go out and race like a banshee.

To clarify: I may race 5K in 20 flat, but four days of the week I'm jogging 3 @ 9:30 pace.

[This message has been edited by KudzuRunner (edited Jan-13-2006).]

vel26
posted Jan-29-2006 09:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for vel26   Click Here to Email vel26     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran 6-7 days per week for about 7 years. I averaged about 30 miles per week. Last year I ran no more than 5 days per week and averaged 34 miles per week. My per run average went from 5 to 7.5. I feel a lot more rested and have more energy for long (12-15mile) Saturday runs. I am hoping this schedule will eventually lead to better times in marathons and half marathons. I think a lot of the short runs are just junk/filler miles and do very little to improve fitness or race times. Drop a couple of the short runs and combine them into one long run each week and you will be a better runner and have fewer injuries.

RHall
posted Mar-18-2006 11:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RHall     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey Kudzu,

I think this schedule of short 3 mile or so recovery days may help solve a problem I'm facing. I'm worn out from 6 miles recovery runs along with 3 days of tennis and I don't want to give up the tennis. I race 5k-13.1 too and am interested in what workouts you do on the two longer runs during the week? Thanks.

QUOTE]Originally posted by KudzuRunner:
I discovered long ago that my body thrived on seven days a week--as long as four of those days were short (3-4 mile) and very gentle recovery runs. I'm 47 and that's still how things work. That plus 2 x 8-12 and 1 x 14-15 per week. Occasionally I take a day off altogether, but in any case I'm only a runner three days of the week. The other days I'm a gentle jogger with a deliberately neutered competitive streak. I just won't take the bait when people pass me. Then I go out and race like a banshee.

To clarify: I may race 5K in 20 flat, but four days of the week I'm jogging 3 @ 9:30 pace.

[This message has been edited by KudzuRunner (edited Jan-13-2006).][/QUOTE]

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Mar-20-2006 09:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran 4-5 days per week for four years. I averaged 25 to 35 miles per week. Starting in September 2005, after eight weeks off due to non-related health issues, I built up to running seven days a week - building up to 34 miles per week.

Changes are productive. ve126 mentioned feeling a lot more rested and having more energy for long runs when going from six to seven days per week down to five days per week. I feel the same as I moved from four to five days per week to seven. For me, the thought of a daily four miler is not as challenging as an every other day six miler - especially after my time off.

I think if you run every day - changing to running every other day while keeping weekly mileage the same - will cause improvements. Also, if you run every other day, changing to daily runs will cause improvements. Bodies thrive on change.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: