Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Sub 20-Minute 5-K

Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Sub 20-Minute 5-K
KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted Aug-05-2006 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maine R:

I'm heading out of Oxford this Thursday and will be on Monhegan Island, ME, where my family has a home, over the weekend. Won't be able to run a whole lotta distance, but there are some decent (dusty dirt road) hills that I like to do repeats up. Normally--i.e., when I'm not on Monhegan--I don't run three hill workouts in five days, but I've been doing a lot of distance this summer and no hills, so I'm planning on changing things up, Brad Hudson style; throwing something brand new into the mix. Cutback mileage and wham those hills. Anything will be better than the 102 degrees we hit this afternoon. It was 96 degrees at 12 noon and it actually felt mild! That's how hot it's been. "Vacationland" (Maine) here I come.

IP: Logged

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Aug-06-2006 08:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Welcome ... I hope you have a nice vacation
quote:
Originally posted by KudzuRunner:
Maine R:

I'm heading out of Oxford this Thursday and will be on Monhegan Island, ME, where my family has a home, over the weekend. Won't be able to run a whole lotta distance, but there are some decent (dusty dirt road) hills that I like to do repeats up. Normally--i.e., when I'm not on Monhegan--I don't run three hill workouts in five days, but I've been doing a lot of distance this summer and no hills, so I'm planning on changing things up, Brad Hudson style; throwing something brand new into the mix. Cutback mileage and wham those hills. Anything will be better than the 102 degrees we hit this afternoon. It was 96 degrees at 12 noon and it actually felt mild! That's how hot it's been. "Vacationland" (Maine) here I come.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Aug-07-2006 07:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maine....sorry you did not have a blazing time but it was better than my 21:51 time trial last week. One thing I am learning is that you must not be dissapointed in what looks like a bad time. If you put in the work your times will drop. But some days you just won't have it or the course will be long.

I ran 9.2 miles yesterday on the treadmill. I ran about 8:23 per mile pace. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I started slow about 6.7 MPH and after 1/2 mile or so I sped it up to 7 MPH...this was not easy it was tiring. Quite a few times when I was tired I would raise the speed to 7.5 or 8 MPH so that the 7 MPH would seem easier. That worked pretty well.

Next Sunday I have a 10 miler scheduled which I would like to run outside at 8:28 per mile pace so this 9 miler helped get my confidence up.

I will try to check in every Monday on this page to update my week. 55 days until my attempt for a sub 20 5k race.

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Aug-08-2006 07:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Michigan: thanks - I am interested in how your training/racing works out. I will continue to update this page too.

quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer:
Maine....sorry you did not have a blazing time but it was better than my 21:51 time trial last week. One thing I am learning is that you must not be dissapointed in what looks like a bad time. If you put in the work your times will drop. But some days you just won't have it or the course will be long.

I ran 9.2 miles yesterday on the treadmill. I ran about 8:23 per mile pace. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I started slow about 6.7 MPH and after 1/2 mile or so I sped it up to 7 MPH...this was not easy it was tiring. Quite a few times when I was tired I would raise the speed to 7.5 or 8 MPH so that the 7 MPH would seem easier. That worked pretty well.

Next Sunday I have a 10 miler scheduled which I would like to run outside at 8:28 per mile pace so this 9 miler helped get my confidence up.

I will try to check in every Monday on this page to update my week. 55 days until my attempt for a sub 20 5k race.

dcv2002
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 08:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcv2002     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Another close call in an evening race that was 80+ with humidity. I think I can break 20 minutes in the fall. A race that was supposed to be 5 miles was switched to another state park and changed into a 5k. Ran 20:11 (6:09, 6:39, 6:45, 36). Temps were low/mid 80s with high humidity at 730pm. Can't wait to run a race in the 50's. This course was a repeat of about 3 week earlier where I had run a 21:15 (it was over 90 with 50% humidity then).

However, think I went out too fast and couldn't hold the pace in the end.

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
dcv2002:

In your last post about your training you mentioned that you were training for marathon and doing no speed whatsoever. Does this mean no tempo runs or strides?

dcv2002
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 11:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcv2002     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim24315:
dcv2002:

In your last post about your training you mentioned that you were training for marathon and doing no speed whatsoever. Does this mean no tempo runs or strides?

Tempo pace is basically the fastest pace that I'll go at. The shortest intervals I run at are 1200m's @ roughly 6:50 pace right now. The plan usually has two Quality workouts in it. One really long run or marathon paced run or lots of tempo/easy paced run, and tempo intervals. I'm currently on week 6 of the plan. After this week, the Q workouts get a lot tougher (like 2 miles, 4 x 1200m, 10 miles, 4 x 1200m, 2 miles all in one session).

I'm following Daniel's A-plan which I used to run a 1:30 HM. I hoping for a 3:10 marathon. I rarely (if ever) do any strides. I think this might be it for marathon training as: 1. it takes up way too much time 2. I'm so sore after my long runs (19 miles), that I can barely walk. So I might switch over to Daniels 5k-15k training for next year. This includes a lot more speed working intervals (200s, 400s, 800s) at a lot faster paces.

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 12:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcv2002:

Tempo pace is basically the fastest pace that I'll go at. The shortest intervals I run at are 1200m's @ roughly 6:50 pace right now. The plan usually has two Quality workouts in it. One really long run or marathon paced run or lots of tempo/easy paced run, and tempo intervals. I'm currently on week 6 of the plan. After this week, the Q workouts get a lot tougher (like 2 miles, 4 x 1200m, 10 miles, 4 x 1200m, 2 miles all in one session).

I'm following Daniel's A-plan which I used to run a 1:30 HM. I hoping for a 3:10 marathon. I rarely (if ever) do any strides. I think this might be it for marathon training as: 1. it takes up way too much time 2. I'm so sore after my long runs (19 miles), that I can barely walk. So I might switch over to Daniels 5k-15k training for next year. This includes a lot more speed working intervals (200s, 400s, 800s) at a lot faster paces.

I was all set to suggest that you do what you are already doing. I'm sure that you'll get your sub-20 without making any changes--you just missed last time.

gcklo
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gcklo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
dcv2002:

Jim, are you doing the runnings of the bulls again this year? What races are in your plan?

I am thinking about the Franklin Templeton 5k, the bulls 5k, and may be a small local 5k in the next 2 to 3 months. Try to see if I can get close to 20 min.

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
gcklo,

It's on the same day as Heritage Oaks 10k in Paso Robles, which is probably my most important race of the year. Otherwise I'd probably run it. How about you? I remember you from last year.

gcklo
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 07:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gcklo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
gcklo,

It's on the same day as Heritage Oaks 10k in Paso Robles, which is probably my most important race of the year. Otherwise I'd probably run it. How about you? I remember you from last year.

After last year's running of the bulls, I ran the SV 1/2 Mary and the SJ Turkey Trot 10k. Then things changed, new job, new house. A lot of traveling, steak and wine, gained 15 pounds. Started working out again the end of May, still with 4 to 5 more pounds to lose. And hopefully, can break 20 in 6 to 9 months or so. I am just about back to last summer's shape so got a delay of almost 12 months for my quest to break 20.

------------------
Happy running !

My Profile

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Aug-09-2006 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No problem George. At 36 you are still a kid!

Good luck in your quest for sub-20. You'll get there.

[This message has been edited by Jim24315 (edited Aug-09-2006).]

JasonsDrivingForce
Cool Runner
posted Aug-12-2006 12:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JasonsDrivingForce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had taken awhile off from running since the summers here in NC are so blasted hot. However, I am back into training now. I run 4.25 miles in the morning 6 days a week. It is a rather hilly course but I have managed to do the first 5K of it in about 20:30 everyday this week. I think I have a great shot at going for the sub 20 minute 5k once the racing season starts back up in October. There is one thing though. I am not doing this alone. My 3 year old son always goes with me. I push him in a dualie Ironman stroller. All of the races in our area allow strollers and a few of them actually have stroller competitions. I am not that concerned about those races though. Those guys run 10Ks in 34 minutes with 4 year old kids and sometimes double joggers that weigh 100 pounds! Naw I do it because my son still asks me every morning if he can go running. He actually ran a 1 mile race at 2.5 years old earlier this year. He is so excited about getting back into races. Now I know what you are thinking that I push him to do it. I don't. I definitely got him into running at an early age but now I only take him in the stroller or to the races if he asks to go. Anyway he still seems to enjoy it.

Funny how a 3 year old can motivate you. I asked him to cheer for me the other day so I could get up a pretty steep hill. He spontaneously started yelling "Go Grandpa, Go- Go Grandpa, Go". If that doesn't get you going I don't know what would.

JasonsDrivingForce
Cool Runner
posted Aug-12-2006 09:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JasonsDrivingForce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well I finally broke 20 miutes for the 5k during a training run this morning. I ran the first 3.1 miles of my 4.25 mile run in 19:47 this morning. That was 27 seconds faster than I had ever done that part of the training run. As long as I keep my training up I am sure that I will easily break 20 minutes in the first race of the season. Heck I might even be sub 19 minutes by then. Pretty good considering my previous best during a 5k race is a 20:50 and I have only run one sub 21:00 race this year.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Aug-14-2006 08:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well I finished week 1 of my 8 week training program.

I am looking to beat 20:00 on October 1st.

Here is how my 1st week went (followed a program from runners world website).

Monday, Aug.7 REST

Tuesday, Aug. 8....6 miles
Ran 6 miles in 50:19 for 8:23 mile pace.
SPLITS 8:20, 8:36, 7:58, 8:09, 8:52, 8:24
It was a sluggish run overall.

Wed, Aug. 9
5 Miles in 41:50 (8:23 pace)
This run was much easier than yesterdays 6 miler.
63 degrees out.
Mile Splits 8:16. 8:26, 8:17, 8:33, 8:18

Thur, Aug. 10
Finally I got to my scheduled speed day.
I was excited and woke at 5 am ready to roll.
Ran 1.25 miles for a warm up to the track and stretched.
Ran 4 X 800 meters and jogged 400 meters recovery in between sets. 800 meter splits 3:09, 3:08, 3:06, 3:02.
Jogged home for a total of 5 miles in all. I was very happy with my performace. It was hard but not that hard. The 1st 800 meter was the worst and the rest were manageable.

Friday, Aug. 11
A very nice easy run this morning in 59 degree weather.
5 miles in 41:35 (8:19 pace)
1st mile was 8:07 and it was very easy.
Mile 2-5 were 8:24, 8:09, 8:50, and 8:05.
The 1st 3 miles were automatic. I was ahead of my 8:28 goal pace so I slowed down nicely for mile 4.

Sat, Aug. 12 REST

Sun, Aug. 13
10 miles in 83:14
Average pace of 8:21 per mile.
The 1st 2 miles were easy...finished in 16:52 for 2.
Miles 3-5 were a little harder but still seemed I could finish strong...paces around 8:20-8:25 pretty constant.
I ran mile 6 hard since 1/2 my run was done. I tired from miles 6-8 running the 7th mile in 8:18. Mile 9 and 10 were easy because I knew I was almost done. The last mile was a fast 7:28 and I hate the thought of running a run this long once a week but if it helps me break 20 so be it.

Today I start week 2 by resting....5k in 48 days...perhaps I will run a test 5k in 2 weeks.

gerlewis
posted Aug-15-2006 05:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gerlewis   Click Here to Email gerlewis     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey guys thought it was about time I posted on here as ive been running for the last 4months with a view to entering a 5k race when my times got half decent. (Im 25 years old with no history of running, I took it up to keep me fit when there is no surf)

My personal best is 20:54 in training.

My problem is I only run 5ks as this is the length of run I enjoy. I find 10k too long and boring. I do enjoy the odd dunes and off road run though (nothing over 25minutes though).

I run about 3 times a week, so a total of 10 miles a week and am stuck around the 20/21 minute mark, and cant seem to improve. Im looking for your advice really. I know you will all say do longer runs/more miles a week. But I was wondering if there is a way I can do shorter runs more often, or is it simply a case of doing hour long runs (I think the fun will go if I do that)?

Cheers, and good luck everyone!

Ger Lewis

Paul Marke
posted Aug-15-2006 06:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Marke   Click Here to Email Paul Marke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
errm well if you want to get a sub 20 with 10 miles a week your gona have to work hard on those 10 miles. so yeah when you do your training, put in as much effort as possible as if it were a race, or close to.

and/or maybe do some 400m reps a bit faster than your current 5km pace with about 45-60 second rests between each one. or possibly do some 1500m runs a bit faster than your 5km pace, get your body used to running faster.

im no expert or anything but maybe this could help you.

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Aug-15-2006 08:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well I've got the big test coming up with the OOB Breakaway 5K this Saturday. I've never run this race, but have run most of the course on some of my long runs. This is an unusual course in that it is advertised as "mostly flat and fast. PR's Very Possible!! USATF Certified (certification code ME 02001 RN)", well you have a pretty good hill to climb after the first quarter mile and when you crest it you immediately round a cone and come back down the hill. After that it is truly a very flat and fast course for the remaining 2.25 miles or so. I have run several 5Ks this year on very hilly courses with my best time of 20:26 6:36 pace) and 3 miler at 19:38 (6:29 pace) so I've been knocking on the door...hopefully I'll open it this Saturday or maybe even crash it down!

Here's hoping for good weather, low temps and low humidity.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

JasonsDrivingForce
Cool Runner
posted Aug-15-2006 11:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JasonsDrivingForce     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I annihilated my previous best time this morning. I ran the first 3.1 miles of my 4.20 training run in 19:36 while pushing my son in the stroller. I actually was 55 seconds faster for the 4.20 miles than I had ever been. I did the 4.20 miles in 27:01. Not too bad considering the course has some good long hills on it and the stroller weighs about 65 pounds. I think that the sub 20 is entirely possible for me now. I guess I could probably even do a sub 19 if I get a great start on a flat course.

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Aug-19-2006 10:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I did it, I finally broke the sub-20 barrier.

Where - OOB Maine, OOB Breakaway 5K

Time - 19:50

1st in AG

48th Overall

I posted a complete race report in the Boomers Forum and just wanted to fill in here that I finally did it!

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

garbo10
Cool Runner
posted Aug-20-2006 07:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for garbo10     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ran 2 5Ks this summer so far. My first one was a 20:01, so needless to say I was a bit dissappointed. But I came back 4 weeks later to hit my PR of 19:23. Im aiming to break 19 mins next summer.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Aug-21-2006 07:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobscamman:
I did it, I finally broke the sub-20 barrier.
Time - 19:50

Nice job bobscamman! What was the key in you breaking the barrier? I will read your race report after I post.

Week 2 of my 8 week training.

Monday, Aug. 14 REST

Tueday, Aug. 15 ..6 miles in 49:14 (8:12 pace). Very easy. Felt like a half mile run. Last mile in 7:51.

Wed, Aug. 16..6 miles in 48:19 (8:03 pace) sluggish...probably ran it too fast. Last mile 7:35.

Thur, Aug. 17...REST...after yesterdays run I decided I should take this day off instead of Saturday.

Fri, Aug,.18...6 miles total...1 mile warmup in 8:35. Then 4 mile tempo run in 28:09 (7:02 pace)..It was nice hard pace and difficult but not extreme. Splits 7:12, 6:56, 6;51, 7:10.
1 mile cooldown in 7:44.

Sat, Aug. 19..6 miles in 48:28 (8:05 pace)...nice run.

Sun, Aug. 20...10 miles on the treadmill in 84:00 (8:24 pace). It takes a long time to recover from this as I was tired all afternoon. Went to bed early and feel better Monday morning.

41 days till attempt to break 20 in 5k.

OldXCguy
Cool Runner
posted Aug-23-2006 10:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for OldXCguy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Congratulations bobscamman! Nice going. I'm definitely just a little jealous.

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Aug-23-2006 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer:
Nice job bobscamman! What was the key in you breaking the barrier? I will read your race report after I post.

Thanks for the compliment, I have to credit some fellow boomers on the Boomers Forum for a lot of on-line coaching. Specifically getting me to understand the need to get in the necessary speed work, repeats, intervals etc. And also the need to slow down on most of my long runs. I think a lot of the trouble with me has kind of been a mental thing and learning to be more disciplined in my races.

Best of luck to you as you go for the sub-20.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

joev9
Cool Runner
posted Aug-24-2006 01:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joev9     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wanna know if 20:00 is crazy to expect at my next race or something to gun for. Here are some particulars:

- 5K PR 21:11 on July 9, 2006. Race was 5 days after another 5K on July 4th. Felt great the whole race, wasn't pressed by anyone, and I think if I was I could have squeezed out those 11 seconds to be around 21 flat.

- Since July, I have increased my mileage from 20 to 30 mpw.

- This past Sunday I set a new PR (by over 2 minutes) in a 5-mile race (36:34 on a somewhat hilly route).

- My goal race is September 17th and is on a flat, fast route with lots (thousands) of runners to pace off of.

If its NOT crazy, what would be some good speedwork workouts in the next 2-3 weeks to sharpen up my speed a bit.

Thanks.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: