Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Sub 20-Minute 5-K

Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Sub 20-Minute 5-K
Viich
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2006 05:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Viich     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A 5:45 mile time SHOULD put you in the 19:5x range.

------------------
Craig
Craig's Log

IP: Logged

MileRunnerDD
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2006 01:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MileRunnerDD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great, Thanx. I'm eager to run a 5-k, and am hoping to break 20. I'll see about the next available 5-k, and tell you how I do. I'll aim to break 19:30, but for now I'm just a 20:00 5k wanna-be

------------------
PLACE SIGNATURE HERE:
It's hard to sign your
computer
but
I'll try.. [scribbles on screen]

Don't you dare check out my
profile!

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2006 01:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I also am trying to beat 20 for a 5k.

Last year I ran a 5:49 mile then did 19:43 5k on the treadmill.

My splits were 6:17, 6:29, 6:22

I came through 1.5 miles in 9:32

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-03-2006 08:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Someone told me it would be pretty difficult to run a sub 20 on 20-25 miles a week.

So the 1st three days of July I have run 6 miles each day. All around 8:30 per mile pace. Last week I ran 8 miles in 1 hour and that hurt. I have decided to build up my base miles and run more slow miles but alot more miles so I will be comfortable with the distance.

I have run 46 miles in the last 10 days (about 32 mpw average). If I can get to 40 mpw that would be nice. I want to run a sub 20 by October 1st.

tuscaloosarunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-03-2006 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tuscaloosarunner   Click Here to Email tuscaloosarunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lansingrunner:
Someone told me it would be pretty difficult to run a sub 20 on 20-25 miles a week.

So the 1st three days of July I have run 6 miles each day. All around 8:30 per mile pace. Last week I ran 8 miles in 1 hour and that hurt. I have decided to build up my base miles and run more slow miles but alot more miles so I will be comfortable with the distance.

I have run 46 miles in the last 10 days (about 32 mpw average). If I can get to 40 mpw that would be nice. I want to run a sub 20 by October 1st.

Hey, just wanted to drop you a line and say good work! Just rest when your body needs it, and make sure you have recovery days built in. Sub-20 is definitely doable!

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-03-2006 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tuscaloosarunner:
Hey, just wanted to drop you a line and say good work! Just rest when your body needs it, and make sure you have recovery days built in. Sub-20 is definitely doable!

Thanks. I ran a 5k distance in 20:56 on the treadmill about 2 weeks ago. I have started to run more outside to get used to it (mentally). I ran 2 miles in 12:46 about a month ago on the treadmill.

My PR for 5k is 20:30 in high school 15 years ago....and 20:41 since I started running again 2 years ago.

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-03-2006 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tuscaloosarunner:

Thanks. I ran a 5k distance in 20:56 on the treadmill about 2 weeks ago. I have started to run more outside to get used to it (mentally). I ran 2 miles in 12:46 about a month ago on the treadmill.

My PR for 5k is 20:30 in high school 15 years ago....and 20:41 since I started running again 2 years ago.

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-03-2006 02:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks

My all time records (all on treadmill so they are not official)

1 mile 5:49
1.5 Miles 8:56
2 Miles 12:18
3 Miles 19:08
4 Miles 26:46
5 Miles 33:41

I ran a 5k distance in 20:56 on the treadmill about 10 days ago.

KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-04-2006 12:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ran 20:15 this morning in our local 5K, seven seconds slower than last year, but the course was changed slightly and I doubt that anybody remeasured it.

I was pleased. Temp at race time was 81 degrees and 65 percent humidity. I pushed hard in the final half mile, made up 75 yards, passed three runners (including my AG competition, a 40 y.o., netting me first 40-49 ), the third of whom was the #2 woman. I've done absolutely no speed training in the past month, just lots of base miles.

JerryY3
Cool Runner
posted Jul-04-2006 03:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JerryY3   Click Here to Email JerryY3     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OK, here's how you break 20 minutes.

For you guys/gals who don't have natural "talent", or maybe just a speck, you're gonna need 40 mpw (or more), no shortcuts.You're kidding yourself if you think you can do it "on the cheap".

Run a bunch of "overmileage" races, 4 & 5 milers & 10k's will help a lot to enable you to carry a hard pace over distance. I always found 5 milers particularly brutal, but they help tremendously to toughen you up mentally & physically. Do some "undermileage" races too if you can find them, 2 milers are good.

Go to the track and run some individual miles @ 6.26 pace. Throw in some 1/2 mile repeats too, don't bother with anything below that, you'll just blow up your hammy's!

When you're doing your daily mileage, throw in "surges" of 1/2 mile to a mile at 6:26 pace, then return back to training pace.

If you start "plateauing", increase base mileage, you may need to go up to 50-55, that will help you more than any "speedwork" you can do, which is overrated anyway.

Don't get discouraged. You may have to "knock on the door" for a year or even two when you run 20:15 on in but just can't seem to bust through. Your day will come, when it does you will probably "feel it" within the first 1/4 mile, everything will seem "easier".

When you get to the start of "mile 2", you have to make what I have always called "a commitment to pain". It's gonna hurt more than anything you've ever done, but you must keep pushing the issue and not "settle", just think of how much work you've put into this moment, you don't want to blow it.
It's much easier to be heroic when you are in shape and have a specific goal that you've been working towards.

When I started running @ 39 my first 5k was 24:05, I got my pr 5 years later @ 19:18 doing the above, when I "broke through" I ran 19:57 and it was one of the most gratifying moments of my life. After that I expected to break 20 and most of the time I did for the next several years until my right calf muscle started a rebellion which unfortunately continues to this day!

Good luck, it's worth every step.

arc918
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2006 02:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for arc918   Click Here to Email arc918     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
swing and a miss...

20:29 - but hey it's a PR and even won my AG

perhaps next time I'll do more than a 2 day taper

------------------
how do you like me now?

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2006 07:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hmm...I was thinking about running 40 mpw but I am not ready for that yet. I woke up at 5:30 this morning and ran 4.5 miles at about 8:00 mile pace. The reason it was so fast is that I was adding some striders (is that what you call it) during the last mile. I would speed up for about 15 seconds at maybe 6:00 mile pace to get used to it.

I notice soccer players can run fast in 5k races and watching the world cup I see why. They run many many miles in a game (perhaps 8 miles) and maybe sprint 1 mile of it. So it is lots of miles and some speedwork.

I am up to 27 miles for the 1st 5 days of July. Yesterday I did some similar striders on the treadmill in my 4.2 mile run...It was mostly 8:30 mile pace with about 5 or 6 different times where I went 6:00 mile pace for 30-60 seconds.

It is getting much easier to run outside now. I love the downhills. I pick up the pace without too much effort going downhill....uphills don't scare me that much. I am fairly confident I could beat 21 outdoors right now...but I am in no hurry to test myself...intervals and speedwork for 10% of my miles seems to make me feel good for the moment.

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2006 10:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am one month away from my 2006 goal 5K (August 5).

In June I ran 29 of the 30 days - 128 total miles.
Key work outs:
long runs: 10 (9:43 pace), 8 (9:45 pace), and 7 (9:56 pace) - one week no long run due to a cutback week.
tempo runs: 4 (7:37 pace), 4 (7:14 pace), and 5 (7:13 pace *actually a race) - one week no tempo run due to a cutback week.
speed work: 1x880@3:07, 2X880@3:16 (2:15 recovery), 3X880@3:13 (2:30 recovery) - one week no speed work due to a cutback week.

Weight improved - started around 167 now at 162 - I'm 5'11"

Plan for July:
Continue long runs - alternate a ten and an eight miler each week.
Continue tempo runs - four miles each week over hilly roads. One of the four milers will be a very flat four mile road race.
Continue speed work - add one more hard half miler each week - 4X880@3:13;2:30, 5X880@3:13;2:30, and then 6X880@3:13;2:30.

Next cutback week will be week of goal 5K.

I would like to dip below 160 pounds.

A sub 21 minute 5K is a more realistic goal. However, I'm going to give sub 20 a shot. If I blow up so be it.

good luck everyone.

duckgeek
Cool Runner
posted Jul-05-2006 12:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for duckgeek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Did anyone break through over the holiday?

I ran my second race of the year yesterday, the 10k Eugene Butte to Butte. I split the first 5k sub-21 (including a monster hill and descent) and then the second 5k sub-22 to finish in 42:49. I was pretty spent at the end.

I'm pretty sure that I can run 20-low right now. The strength is there, I just need to work on my speed a bit. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of upcoming 5k races in the area and with a newborn in the house I won't be travelling too far for races.

MileRunnerDD
Cool Runner
posted Jul-07-2006 04:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MileRunnerDD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ahhhhhh!!! My 5-k was cancelled!! I have company tonight. Maybe next week...

------------------
To all that think there is no
such thing as a stupid
question-
You have never seen me in
math class.

saintomian
Cool Runner
posted Jul-08-2006 09:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for saintomian   Click Here to Email saintomian     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
19:09 and standing 6"5 208 pounds i think thats very impressive,hey saint croix im from st.thomas.

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-12-2006 02:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JerryY3:
OK, here's how you break 20 minutes.

For you guys/gals who don't have natural "talent", or maybe just a speck, you're gonna need 40 mpw (or more), no shortcuts.You're kidding yourself if you think you can do it "on the cheap".

I WISH I HAD NATURAL TALENT LIKE AJ ACOSTA...the 2006 FOOTLOCKER HS CROSS CHAMP..

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/hs/aom/200512-acosta.html

&FN: Whatís the mileage like now?

AJ: My freshman year of cross-country I really didnít do much. I did 20 miles a week and then I stopped running in the middle months because I had an IT band problem. I did some cross training, then ran for about 2-3 weeks before coming back for the sectional meet. I ended up running 17:30 at state. In track season I was training 25 miles a week consistently and I ended up running 4:18.

T&FN: Have the IT bands been your only injuries?

AJ: I had Achilles tendinitis last year during track season, which really sucked.

T&FN: And your mileage now?

AJ: During the summer I got up to 70.

T&FN: Just running or tempo runs?

AJ: Tempo runs, and my long run was up to maybe 13 miles. I got to 15 miles once. I had a lot of medium runs also. I would do a couple of 10-milers and some of the runs I would break down from 10 miles. So I would go 6 and 4 or 7 and 3.

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-18-2006 07:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maybe the most painful run of my life last night.
I was attempting 3 miles in sub 20 on the treadmill.
I felt very good all day yesterday even though I had run 6.5 miles the day before (at 8:30 mile pace).

I drank alot of water at work to stay hydrated and when I got home I ran about 0.4 mile to warm up.

I started the treadmill at 9.2 MPH and took off at this brisk pace. The 1st minute left me breathing hard thinking I would not make it but still could manage a good time so I kept going. After 1 minute I felt much better and the 1st 1/2 mile was almost too easy and I finished in 3:17. I felt as if I could increase the speed but I didn't want to chance it I felt so good.

Around 4 minutes it started to get a little uncomfortable but I just told myself to go a mile at this pace and then decide if I wanted to slow down. 1 Mile came in at 6:35. It was more uncomfortable but I stayed at 9.1 MPH as I wanted to break 20 pretty badly. At 1.5 Miles my time was 9:52 and I thought I had a good shot at my goal. At 11:00 (I tried to watch time and ignore the miles figure) I knew I had 9 minutes left and it really sucked. Just keep running 9 MPH or more I kept saying to myself. I tried to keep 180 paces per minute not by counting them but by consciously trying to move my feet in short quick strides.

2 Miles and my time was 13:12....I have a good shot and I can even slow down a little I thought...but that is when the pain got worse....I tried to maintain the pace but could not do it...At 2.1 miles I had to lower the speed to 8.6 MPH. It hurt too much I cannot make it I said. I will feel so bad if I don't make it after this great effort but I still hurt so much I kept running slower. Finally at 2.25 miles I upped it back to 9 MPH and tried to focus. I made it to 2.5 miles at 16:34. I was pretty sure I would make it but felt like I was crashing hard. As the clock hit 19:00 I knew I had it made unless the machine lost power but it was still going to be close so I upped the speed to about 9.5 as I didn't have much left. I cruised in with a final time of 19:48.5 on my stopwatch.

I was done for but realized I should continue to 5k distance and did this in a total time of 20:31. I am taking today off....time to work on speedwork now. My next goal will be sub 21 outdoors.

WI MTP
Cool Runner
posted Jul-18-2006 09:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for WI MTP     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lansingrunner - Running a 3 Mile Time Trial is speed work

What % incline are you using on the Treadmill?

I think you would see very good results with running 6x1/2 mile once a week - not full out, but start with 9.1 MPH run at leat 1 mile warmup and then 1/2 mile @ 9.1MPH and .25 mile @ 7.5MPH -repeat 6 time - even if you feel good - do not go faster. Work your way up to 6x1/2 mile @ 9.3MPH with .25 mile @ 7.5. When that feels good increase it to 4x.75 mile @ 9.3 with .25 mile @ 7.5 and finally 3x 1mile @ 9.3 with .25 mile @ 7.5.

Once you can do that either increase your speed, increase your incline, increase the distance (1.25, 1.5) or increase the number of reps 3-4-5.

The key to this workout is to work hard, but not feel totally spent at the end.

Another good one for the treadmill - 1-2 mile warmup and then do .25 mile with 4% incline @ 9.0 MPH then .25 mile @ 7.0 MPH repeat this 8 times. If you can not do 8, then slow down after the 1st workout - if it is easy - try 9.1. You can also try 4.5%-5.0%-5.5%&6.0% - 6.0% is probably enough.

These hill workouts will help force you to better form and more strength. Again you should work hard, but not be totally spent afterward.

Just some ideas - If you do each of these once a week along with some easy runs and one longer run, I would bet you will see big improvements by the end of summer.

paulmitch
Cool Runner
posted Jul-18-2006 06:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for paulmitch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm running my first 5K at Shea Stadium next Sunday. I averaged 6.37 pace for a 5 miler recently. I should hope I can break 20:00 min for a 5K. Maybe if the heat isn't too much. What do you think? I am 37 but am now only hitting my stride.

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Jul-18-2006 10:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmitch:
I'm running my first 5K at Shea Stadium next Sunday. I averaged 6.37 pace for a 5 miler recently. I should hope I can break 20:00 min for a 5K. Maybe if the heat isn't too much. What do you think? I am 37 but am now only hitting my stride.

It's close. McMillan rates your 5-miler equivalent to 19.58 5k. Two other calculators rate it at 20:05 and 20:14. You will need to run 11 sec per mile faster to break 20. Was your race a true 5-miler or an 8k?

How long have you been running, what are some of your other more recent race times? How about your training--mileage, workouts etc.?

lansingrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-19-2006 07:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lansingrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WI MTP:
lansingrunner - Running a 3 Mile Time Trial is speed work

What % incline are you using on the Treadmill?

I think you would see very good results with running 6x1/2 mile once a week - not full out, but start with 9.1 MPH run at leat 1 mile warmup and then 1/2 mile @ 9.1MPH and .25 mile @ 7.5MPH -repeat 6 time - even if you feel good - do not go faster. Work your way up to 6x1/2 mile @ 9.3MPH with .25 mile @ 7.5. When that feels good increase it to 4x.75 mile @ 9.3 with .25 mile @ 7.5 and finally 3x 1mile @ 9.3 with .25 mile @ 7.5.

Once you can do that either increase your speed, increase your incline, increase the distance (1.25, 1.5) or increase the number of reps 3-4-5.

The key to this workout is to work hard, but not feel totally spent at the end.

Another good one for the treadmill - 1-2 mile warmup and then do .25 mile with 4% incline @ 9.0 MPH then .25 mile @ 7.0 MPH repeat this 8 times. If you can not do 8, then slow down after the 1st workout - if it is easy - try 9.1. You can also try 4.5%-5.0%-5.5%&6.0% - 6.0% is probably enough.

These hill workouts will help force you to better form and more strength. Again you should work hard, but not be totally spent afterward.

Just some ideas - If you do each of these once a week along with some easy runs and one longer run, I would bet you will see big improvements by the end of summer.

I guess you are right I did do speed training but still it was about 6:36 mile pace and I will have to run faster pace than that to do a 20 minute 5k.

My treadmill does have an incline but does not have a readout of percent grade. I must use a hand level to find this. I assume it is at 0 but if I put a level on it, it appears to be about 1% grade so maybe they automatically dialed it in at 1% to start.

I can do 6 1/2 miles in 3:15 but it might be pretty difficult to run the recoveries at 7.5 MPH. Last week I ran 3 X 1 mile at 6:40 mile pace with 2:00 recovery walk.

This morning I ran outside 5 miles in 37:29 or 7:30 mile pace.

I might attempt your suggestion and see how it feels. Thanks.

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 10:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OK, I'm in. I've been reading this thread for some time now and have been shooting for my own sub 20 5K as well as a sub 40 10K.

I am a 50 year old male who has been running since June 2003, my first race ever was a 3 miler which I completed in 26:01. Boy was I SLOW!

My current PR's are as follows:

1 mile - 5:44 June 2006 (first ever timed mile)
3 miles - 19:11 June 2004 (same race as my first)
5K - 20:10 - October 2004
10K - 41:27 - August 2004 (same as upcoming Aug 5th race)

My most recent 5K in June I finished in 20:26, a hilly course on a hot, humid day. I have a 10K scheduled on August 5th and hope to get close to my 2004 time in that race and may enter a local 5K on a very flat out & back course on August 19th. I run that course as part of my long runs on a fairly regular basis and know that there are absolutely no hills so I think I should be able to whack some time off my recent 5Ks

I had been concentrating on my distance running and never really did speed work. I have just started incorporating speed work into my schedule and can already feel the difference. Thanks to one of the regular posters on this thread Jim and many others advice.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 12:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
bob:

You are I are pretty comparable, time-wise and age-wise (I'm slightly younger and slightly faster, with the accent on "slightly"); the only difference is my somewhat more developed aerobic base from six years of marathon training in my twenties.

When I read your post, two things jump out:

1) If you simply keep putting in the miles, with some quality in there as appropriate, your times will surely come down;

2) All my PRs have been set during cooler months, so if you look towards some October/November races, you'll surely achieve your goal. (Early December has been good to me, too. As has February.)

bobscamman
Cool Runner
posted Jul-20-2006 01:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bobscamman   Click Here to Email bobscamman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KudzuRunner:

1) If you simply keep putting in the miles, with some quality in there as appropriate, your times will surely come down;

2) All my PRs have been set during cooler months, so if you look towards some October/November races, you'll surely achieve your goal. (Early December has been good to me, too. As has February.)

Thanks KudzoRunner, actually I think that #1 is huge for me. I have been putting in the miles almost since the beginning, my next marathon will be my 8th and my PR is 3:39:28 only 3:29 away from my BQ (I actually got that at Boston this year running with the Mass State Police Marathon Team). I have only just begun getting the quality runs in especially some speed work which I am really just learning to do correctly. And I am sure that the cooler temps would be of assistance as well. We'll see how things go over the next few months. I can't really look to December through March unless I travel a pretty good distance. There aren't many if any at all 5K races in Maine during the winter.

------------------
My User Profile

"Keep on Running"
Bob

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: