Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue, Warrior1971

Sub 20-Minute 5-K

Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Sub 20-Minute 5-K
charlieeee
Cool Runner
posted May-27-2007 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for charlieeee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Abadabajev, I'm 16.

I've seen you before, on the blogger site your profile says your affiliation is in "athlete selection." Can you elaborate?

And you can call me charlie, the name was taken so I just added some e's.

IP: Logged

Abadabajev
Cool Runner
posted May-28-2007 05:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abadabajev     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charlieeee:
Abadabajev, I'm 16.
I've seen you before, on the blogger site your profile says your affiliation is in "athlete selection." Can you elaborate?
And you can call me charlie, the name was taken so I just added some e's.

I'm retired for several years now Charlie. That was a tough job. If you don't select the right youngters for the right sport then you're gone. So by looking at your physique, your athletism, your power, plus 100's of pre-planned exercises and doing interviews(i need to know what's inside their head), I can pin point which sport the youngster may have talent in a specific sport. I used the word 'may'. It's not science but an art to pick a sport.

Eventhough some of my answers on different posts seem arrogant, they are not. That's the way I speak and no need for BS in this job. My old job required that I stop blowing kisses and sunshine in everyone's behind and give him/her hard facts. There was no time to pamper any athlete. Many decisions were difficult but don't regret any of them.

Anyway, someone suggested I show up at coolrunning.com and posts some of my thoughts on some of the postings here.

If you can do 15:xx in the 5k soon, then you go speed and endurance.

charlieeee
Cool Runner
posted May-28-2007 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for charlieeee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow, thats an interesting job.

What were/are some of your times? I heard they were quite respectable.

Abadabajev
Cool Runner
posted May-28-2007 02:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abadabajev     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Wow, thats an interesting job.
What were/are some of your times? I heard they were quite respectable.

No my times were not respectable. You run faster than I used to. Sometimes great athletes become terrible coaches. Sometimes avg or below avg athlete become very good coaches. I myself, was a very ordinary avg athlete.

dzillas
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 12:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dzillas   Click Here to Email dzillas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi all:

I've been lurking on this thread on and off but was sort of reticent to adopt this goal as I absolutely hate the distance and feel that I'm somewhat incapable of turning in a respective time. Also, with the except of two 5-ks, I have done nothing but easy runs this year. My goal race is the Philly Marathon and I'm in the base building stage of my training. Currently, I'm at about 40mpw. Anyway, I ran a 21:04 in April and a 20:47 last weekend.

All that aside, I wanted to relate an anecodote from the last 5-k that made me chuckle. One caveat: I'm not a running snob at all and I try to encourage everyone I know towards fitness and running. That said, I found this really funny: The race ran this weekend probably had about 500 runners, and the organizers were making an effort to seed people according to finishing times. I lined up in the 20 min area and took a look around at those that should have been my competition. The lean girl with the racing flats and toned calves looked tough, and the great and athletic looking couple looked read to go, too. However, I was somewhat surprised to see a group of four next to me who looked... well out of place. Three women and a guy in there late 40s: all somewhat plump. I forgot about them for a while as I tried to mentally prepare for my race. Then I heard one of them say, "he's talking about 20 minutes per mile right." Awesome.

Abadabajev
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 01:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abadabajev     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dzillas:
Three women and a guy in there late 40s: all somewhat plump. I forgot about them for a while as I tried to mentally prepare for my race. Then I heard one of them say, "he's talking about 20 minutes per mile right." Awesome.

I practically fell out of my chair

duckgeek
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for duckgeek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Well, I'll eventaully be in the 15's, i'm still a sophomore.

It's just too competive, I'm going to Oregon University, which is D1, and if anything I'll only do track, but I won't be able to make the team and will probably redshirt, but I'd like to focus more on my career since I'm not going pro.

First of all, Go Ducks!

Secondly, just so you don't get teased, it's the University of Oregon or "U of O" or just UO. OU is Oklahoma.

Abadabajev
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 01:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abadabajev     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Three women and a guy in there late 40s: all somewhat plump. I forgot about them for a while as I tried to mentally prepare for my race. Then I heard one of them say, "he's talking about 20 minutes per mile right." Awesome.

I practically fell out of my chair

runfastcoach
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2007 11:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runfastcoach   Click Here to Email runfastcoach     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
joev9 -

Let's say you are in 19:52 (5k) shape, now. That means your CV 1k reps should be run in 4:08.1 or if you use 800s, it is 3:18.5. Use 1 minute of recovery per 1km run, unless it is a Base Training phase for you - then you would use 2 minutes per 1km run.

Remember, most runners should NOT do more than 1 workout per week that pushes VO2 max - and a race like a 5k should count as a VO2 max workout.

Take care,

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-01-2007 07:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a 5k tonight at 7:30. The same course I ran 20:51 on eleven days ago. I am trying to get over a cold. I am coughing and my legs ache some. I am definatly running as I already registered for this race. I feel better today than yesterday. Any advice for me how to attack this race? It will be temps in upper 70s.

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Jun-01-2007 09:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My advice would be to set a goal: PR, break 20 minutes, or something else? Good luck. I look forward to reading how it went.

To play the devil's advocate a bit: Haven't you been racing every weekend for the last month or more? Now you caught a cold, and have sore legs? A cutback week may be something to think about. On the other hand, maybe tonight will be your night!

quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer:
I have a 5k tonight at 7:30. The same course I ran 20:51 on eleven days ago. I am trying to get over a cold. I am coughing and my legs ache some. I am definatly running as I already registered for this race. I feel better today than yesterday. Any advice for me how to attack this race? It will be temps in upper 70s.

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-01-2007 10:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaineRunner2001:
My advice would be to set a goal: PR, break 20 minutes, or something else? Good luck. I look forward to reading how it went.

To play the devil's advocate a bit: Haven't you been racing every weekend for the last month or more? Now you caught a cold, and have sore legs? A cutback week may be something to think about. On the other hand, maybe tonight will be your night!

Good advice Maine. I was dreading that someone would say "Take it easy in your race since you are getting over a cold" as I would have that in the back of my thoughts.

I am not 100% but getting better and would like to run hard tonight but not so hard that I get sick.

I was racing quite a bit lately. I ran 52 miles last week a new all time best and I think that may be part of the reason I caught a cold. This week I have only ran 15 miles in 5 days.

You are right though I shouldnt give up hope for a PR tonight, My legs may be extra strong from the taper.

MichiganFlyer2
posted Jun-01-2007 09:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer2   Click Here to Email MichiganFlyer2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am back from my 5k and posted a time of 20:56.
I cannot believe I beat 21 still with a cold but thanks to Maine for encouraging me to try for a good time.

I wanted to beat 21 but was not sure I had it in me as my arms felt pretty weak. I decided to go out semi fast and see how I felt at mile one. I hit a mile in 6:33 which was pleasant to see. I hit the halfway loop in 10:17 I believe. I was running out of gas already and thought 21 would be a tough goal to beat.

I slowed and hit 2 miles in 13:25.

I summoned all the strength I had and somehow continued to push the pace or tried to for that matter. I looked at my watch about a block and a half from the finish and saw 20:00. I pulled out the hammer and felt like puking but crossed the line in 20:56. Good for 3rd of 24 in my age group.

A tough gut it out race in 80 degree heat. Its all mental. You need to fill your head with positive thoughts and push the negatives aside. I think the 52 miles last week helped me tonight. I will have to post a race report in the next few days.

Tchuck
Cool Runner
posted Jun-02-2007 07:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tchuck   Click Here to Email Tchuck     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Good job Michigan. The mental part of racing is huge!
With you not feeling well and the 80 degrees, you had to dig deep. Awesome!

------------------
Todd

Docster
Cool Runner
posted Jun-02-2007 06:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Docster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nice job Michigan!

As for me, I ran my 2nd 5K in 3 weeks.

I ran a marathon on 4/28, and when I ran my 5K two weeks later, I just didn't have the urge when it came to the third mile. (that and it was 80 degrees out and mostly uphill )

Today, I set a PR by ~30 seconds. I ran 20:40 and my legs felt great, especially in the 3rd mile. I really need to get used to running so "hard", as most of my training in the last 12 months has been anything but speed work. I need to understand that I can breathe that hard for 20 minutes without crashing, if you will.

The catch for me, is, that I going to start my marathon training in a week (for the Twin Cities marathon on 10/7 where I hope to BQ). Ironically, McMillian says if I can run a sub 20:00 5K, then I exactly qualify for Boston, with a 3:15:59. *lol* I have some 800's for interval work (every other week or so) but really I think I just need to lose another 8 to 10 pounds.

The good news...I'm back to slowly losing weight. I was stagnent for a few months, mostly due to my own appetite. I have another 5K in 3 weeks where I hope to shave a bit off today's performance. The 5K's in this area area fairly hilly (rarely a "flat" stretch), so I feel if I can push 20:00 by August then my BQ shot will definitely be in reach.

Basically, the BQ is my ultimate goal, but it aligns very nice with me trying to break 20:00 for a 5K, even though I'm not specifically training for 5K's. I'm using them for my hardest speed work roughly every 3 weeks, however. Hopefully it's not a silly plan.

Tchuck
Cool Runner
posted Jun-03-2007 09:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tchuck   Click Here to Email Tchuck     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Docstor,

Good job. You will get faster and have a chance at sub 20.

As part of a 5-6 month marathon training program, it is wise of you to spend the first couple months focusing 10K training and the final 2-4 months on marathon specific training.

http://www.therunzone.com/TinmanMarathonTrainingPhilosophy.html

------------------
Todd

MichiganFlyer2
posted Jun-03-2007 04:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer2   Click Here to Email MichiganFlyer2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Docster. Beating that stubborn 20:00 has been a quest for me. I know it will be hard work. I think my problem has been that I am training hard in an attempt to beat 20 but not training smart.

To beat 20 you don't have to be fast. You just have to want to beat 20 bad enough to make you train to shave the time off. I am 22 seconds away but I am still not confident. What would make me confident? A lot of miles and hard workouts. Races help too. Losing weight seems to give you confidence.

I dont have a 5k race scheduled until July 7 after five 5ks since early April so I now have a chance to train for a 5k rather than training and tapering. Today I ran 90 minutes on the treadmill and it hurt even though I only ran 9.33 miles (15k). I realize I need a weekly long run to gain a little more endurance. Usually I don't do any runs over 6 miles though I will run a couple times some days.

I have run 5 races this year

21:28
21:02
20:22
20:51
20:56

The difference between 20:22 and 20:52 ???
I believe your attitude at the start line determines your time.
If I think it is too hot or the course is too difficult I set my sights on breaking 21 and do so. I am not saying you should focus on breaking a PR every race but if you don't think you can break your PR before a race it is almost certain you will not come close to breaking your PR.

Nice going with the 20:40. I would take a time like that!

[This message has been edited by MichiganFlyer2 (edited Jun-03-2007).]

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-04-2007 11:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/010225.shtml

My Race Report from June 1st.

angrek
Cool Runner
posted Jun-05-2007 11:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for angrek   Click Here to Email angrek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Michigan, nice races! Unfortunately you get sick and you have days were the heat or whatever just doesn't sit right, but you did great no matter.

quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer2:
I am 22 seconds away but I am still not confident.

Walk outside and stand by and object. Now run at race pace for 22 seconds. Stop, turn around and look at how short of a distance that really is. That small distance is what is keeping you from your goal. That's it. Next race during the third mile keep picking out objects that far in front of you and think about this.

I am pretty big on mental preparation. I keep a results printout of my next (goal) race (of last years times) on my wall here at work. I occassionally look over at it when I'm thinking about running or before I go out for a run. I look at what I raced, what I can race now, and where I plan on racing then and the time I have to beat. In January 2007 a guy won the military division of the Gasparilla 5K with a time of 18:46. In 8 months, I plan on beating him. I may, and I may not, but when I get to the line I'll be ready to fly.

Belated 'good race!' to Bob as well. I grew up in Brunswick for a few years (my dad used to fly P3's out of the Navy base there.). I love that area.

dzillas
Cool Runner
posted Jun-05-2007 12:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dzillas   Click Here to Email dzillas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey Docster:

I saw you on the fall marathon thread as well. You and I have somethings in common. I'm also shooting for 3:15:59 and a BQ as a main goal, but wouldn't mind pushing for a sub 20 5K. My pr for the 5K, which I set two weeks ago is 20:47, pretty close to yours. Also, were both at about the same weekly millage: I'll do 40 this week. Anyway, that makes it especially easy to cheer for you, good luck.

dzillas

Docster
Cool Runner
posted Jun-05-2007 05:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Docster     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Hey Docster:

I saw you on the fall marathon thread as well. You and I have somethings in common. I'm also shooting for 3:15:59 and a BQ as a main goal, but wouldn't mind pushing for a sub 20 5K. My pr for the 5K, which I set two weeks ago is 20:47, pretty close to yours. Also, were both at about the same weekly millage: I'll do 40 this week. Anyway, that makes it especially easy to cheer for you, good luck.

dzillas

Wow, running twins! Good luck to you as wel Dzillas. I've decided that in 3 weeks (well, less than that now) that I'm shooting for a 20:30 or better. It will be a night race though...so it will be undoubtedly hot here in the south. I'm on tap for 50 and 52 miles the next two weeks. Then my 5K week is a slight taper week, which worked out well with my marathon schedule. I'm definitely going to be more mentally prepared for the next race.

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 10:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
How has everyone's training been this year?

Here is mine (hope it is somewhat readable):

Week, Weekly Miles, Quality Workouts
12/31/2006, 0, Off
01/07/2007, 30, 6 to 8 mile long run
01/14/2007, 30, 6 to 8 mile long run
01/21/2007, 30, 6 to 8 mile long run
01/28/2007, 32, 8 to 10 mile long run
02/04/2007, 24, Cutback
02/11/2007, 31, 8 to 10 mile long run
02/18/2007, 35, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
02/25/2007, 35, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
03/04/2007, 31, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
03/11/2007, 25, Cutback
03/18/2007, 35, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
03/25/2007, 35, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
04/01/2007, 40, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
04/08/2007, 35, 10 mile long run; 4 mile tempo
04/15/2007, 20, 5K Race (20:24) / Cutback
04/22/2007, 35, 10 mile progression run; 2 X 1K @ 4:15 2X200M@:40
04/29/2007, 35, 10 mile progression run; 3 X 1K @ 4:15 3X200M@:40
05/06/2007, 35, 10 mile progression run; 3 X 1K @ 4:15 3X200M@:40
05/13/2007, 35, 10 mile progression run; 5K Race (21:19)
05/20/2007, 25, 15K Race (1:08:50) / Cutback
05/27/2007, 37, 10 mile progression run; 4 X 1K @ 4:15 4X200M@:40

My weight is doing fine: 161 after last nights four easy miles. I am 5'11". I was around 170 just after Christmas.

Had my cholesterol checked May 31: 185 total. Down from 201 last December. It's not a number mentioned too much in regard to improving race times. Getting it below 200 is a nice side effect of consistant running. Wish it was lower.

My next race is June 23 - 5 miles. I hope to PR.

I am feeling very strong and healthy! Hope you are too.

[This message has been edited by MaineRunner2001 (edited Jun-06-2007).]

MichiganFlyer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 01:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganFlyer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaineRunner2001:
How has everyone's training been this year?

[This message has been edited by MaineRunner2001 (edited Jun-06-2007).]

Starting October 22, 2006
Weekly Miles

20, 22, 24, 18
26, 28, 30, 19
33, 36, 39, 26
35, 37, 37, 25
42, 38, 38, 25
36, 35, 35, 27
46, 26, 37, 27
27, 23, 52, 20

I am slowly getting faster and more fit.
The last 2 months I stopped upping the mileage as I tapered to run five 5ks.

I am not getting much faster anymore off my slow base work so my new plan is to run a weekly long run of 8-10 miles and insert speedwork (yesterday ran 10 X 400 in 90 seconds with 90 seconds rest). Usually my longest weekly run was around 6 miles. I just cant get the gumption to go farther than that in one run but I know I have to to take the next step. I will keep mileage around 35-40 but am adding much tougher workouts. For example my easy pace is going from 9:50 mile pace to 8:50 or below.

I have the confidence to beat 20 and will not be running races for a month or so. I want to run a test 5k on the track every week-10 days and I think I could best 20 on the track by this weekend.

------------------

joev9
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 01:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joev9     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
michigan, i had a hard time getting past 10 miles too but once you do, it isn't that bad. sometimes i feel like my long runs are more enjoyable and seem to be less boring than my medium runs. something about the fact that i know this is a really important run shuts off the distractions and lets me concentrate on having a good run. my last long run, i ran 13 and could have kept going. i'm going to hit 13 one more time in the next two weeks then start moving up to 15. the good part too is that i'm no longer beat for the rest of the day. i get my long run in, take an ice bath, am somewhat tired for a few hours but then i feel fine.

angrek
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 03:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angrek   Click Here to Email angrek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganFlyer:
For example my easy pace is going from 9:50 mile pace to 8:50 or below.

I think this will do a lot for you. I looked mine up on McMillan's a while back and I was running my normal/easy runs at 9:00-10:00. As I got a month or two out to my Feb race and 20 minute goal I started shifting all my paces towards what McMillian had for a 20 minute 5K. Now that I've hit it (well...if you don't count those 4 seconds..heh) those are actually the times that I use with easy runs 8:00-8:30 and longs at 8:00-9:00.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 33 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: