Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue

Are you able to wear headphones in Marathons?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Are you able to wear headphones in Marathons?
Renfroe007
posted Nov-11-2005 03:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Renfroe007     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am going to run my first marathon this year. (Honolulu) Can anyone tell me if they allow you to wear headphones? I am not a "competition" runner and will be lucky if I finish in 3:30 to 4 hours. I just want to listen to music, look at the scenary, and enjoy the run. (and finish)

IP: Logged

VictorN
Cool Runner
posted Nov-11-2005 03:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VictorN   Click Here to Email VictorN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oh God, please no. Lets not rehash this again.

Renfroe007, please just do a search on this subject. You will find enough opinions to keep you reading for weeks. Use the > search link above. Search this forum, the basic training forum, and the newbie forum.

Thanks,
Victor

------------------
www.competitiverunner.com

VictorN
Cool Runner
posted Nov-11-2005 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VictorN   Click Here to Email VictorN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here, I did some of the work for you. Here's one, there are many more.

Running marathons with headset devices.

and my favorite

Best headphones for Gallowalking as a bandit?

Enjoy,
Victor

[This message has been edited by VictorN (edited Nov-11-2005).]

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Nov-12-2005 06:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
First off, 3:30-4hrs is fast! lol. I ran a race in the spring and I witnessed 3 iPod casualties. What a waste. One woman completely lost hers and i actually saw one fly off of a guy while he was running!!!! Most races have strict rules against it for many reasons. You will have to check with your individual race to determine their rules and regulations. It is very dangerous for road races. Good luck, relax and enjoy the marathon instead of your music. You will miss out on so much if you are listening to music, IMO.

bigapplepie
Cool Runner
posted Nov-13-2005 10:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bigapplepie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you have to wear them, and I am not sure why you would, just remove them at the start and listen to the safety/race announcements.

I ran the NYC Komen Race for the Cure a few months ago. The announcer announced that the first start was for elite women and cancer survivors only.

When the gun went of I was pushed in the back by someone wearing headphones thinking it was the general start. Some people were physically restrained by runners or race officials, some got through. It was pretty sour start to a great day.

[This message has been edited by bigapplepie (edited Nov-13-2005).]

milkbaby
Cool Runner
posted Nov-14-2005 12:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for milkbaby   Click Here to Email milkbaby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
An oldie but a goodie...

Be careful, your ears might fall off or the headphone police might brutalize you!

It is mainly a safety issue. I saw a guy drop his walkman at the start of a race this weekend. He bent over to pick it up and luckily it was a small field. If it was a big race like Honolulu, somebody would have gotten hurt. Luckily, only the walkman was broken. I am so glad that I am now one of the people with a headphones story to tell.

Honolulu is a huge race with a slow field. There will probably be a lot of people wearing headphones even if it is against the rules, and I'm pretty sure it is...

bigapplepie
Cool Runner
posted Nov-14-2005 01:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bigapplepie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
From the Philly marathon runners information sheet:

quote:
COURSE RESTRICTIONS NO bicycles, skateboards, baby joggers, strollers, roller skates or blades, or other wheeled conveyances (other than racing wheelchairs), animals (except for seeing-eye dogs), or headsets are allowed on the course. These restrictions are for your safety aa well as for insurance considerations.

Coureur
Cool Runner
posted Nov-14-2005 01:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Coureur   Click Here to Email Coureur     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Man, if I was to run in beautiful Honolulu (and take this from a runner who's already seen snow) the last thing I'd want to do would be to listen to pre-canned music. Just enjoy it...

lioness1
Cool Runner
posted Nov-15-2005 07:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lioness1   Click Here to Email lioness1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm sitting here at the computer listening to NPR on my headphones as I write this.

But really, whatever the rules are, and normally marathons don't allow them, the incidents described by the others here offer plenty of reason why it's better to leave them at home. While you might go through the race without incident, why take chances with your safety and that of others. Even if the only casualty is dropping and breaking your radio, why would you want to risk that: races are expensive enough! There's a lot of jostling in large races, especially near the start, and you could lose the phones--and risk someone's safety trying to retrieve them.

So they're great for relaxing by the computer or maybe running on the treadmill, but I'd pass on them in a race. I had just one experience taking a radio w/ me on a run--to finish listening to a program that I wanted to hear- (turned off the radio as soon as the program was over). And while I liked the program, I decided that was going to be my one and only headphone wearing run. The radio was another piece of baggage to fuss with, and I like my runs as baggage free as possible.

Besides, I'd bet they'll have bands/ music, stuff like that.

winejunky
posted Nov-15-2005 07:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for winejunky   Click Here to Email winejunky     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For goodness sake, if a person wants to listen to music while running a marathon, so be it! Do make sure that you personal music device is well secured, just like make sure your shoes are tied. I've never witnessed anyone having trouble with their PMD's, but have seen more than enough other transgressions by participants that put the safety of others at risk, most not wearing headphones! Since I train with my PMD, i race with my PMD. Isn't one of the mantras of running is "not changing anything?" BTW, I prefer bluegrass in the early miles, Bob Dylan in the tweeners, and could really give a crap about music after 21.

AndyHass
Cool Runner
posted Nov-16-2005 10:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for AndyHass   Click Here to Email AndyHass     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Leaving my personal feelings on wearing headphones in races aside, if there is a rule against it, you shouldn't do it. If you sign the form and join the race you are bound by the rules, and a self-centered jerk if you think you're above them just because you like your tunes.

But if there's no rules against it, it comes down to your choice.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: