Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue

Food before 5k races

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Food before 5k races
RunninAway16
posted Nov-07-2005 10:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunninAway16   Click Here to Email RunninAway16     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What should be the last thing I eat before I run a 5k, how much of it, and how long before hand? Also, how much water? Is Gatorade good before a race?

IP: Logged

redrodeo
Cool Runner
posted Nov-07-2005 11:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for redrodeo   Click Here to Email redrodeo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A Banana.
I personally dont like to eat within 2 hours of a race because it sits in my stomach and I dont like that feeling.
I dont drink water within an hour before my race either. I hate when you can hear the water slosh around.

If my race is in the morning....say around 9am.
I eat pasta the night before and drink lots of water, then around 7am I eat a bowl of oatmeal and/or a banana. Plus drink a bottle of water. Then im done....until after the race.

Oh yes, I like to have a lifesaver mint right before I run.....just something weird I always do.

Richard21142
Cool Runner
posted Nov-08-2005 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard21142     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RunninAway16:
Also, how much water? Is Gatorade good before a race?

If it is a summer race, then in the 30 minutes before the start, I will drink a quart of water. It takes about 30 minutes for the water to empty from the stomach, so as you start racing, you are getting the hydration effects. When the weather is cooler, I drink proportionally less water before the race. Gatorade, I guess would remain in your stomach longer than water.

bigapplepie
Cool Runner
posted Nov-08-2005 11:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bigapplepie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A quart of water half an hour before a race would have me peeing every 500 yards. I avoid water or food for two hours prior to a race. You should definitely eat and drink something but give yourself 2-3 hours to digest it, even if that means getting up at 5 am, eating and going back to sleep.

Food = energy.

VictorN
Cool Runner
posted Nov-08-2005 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VictorN   Click Here to Email VictorN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For a 5K you really don't need a lot. Just make sure you eat something 2-3 hours before like bigapplepie suggests...just a light or medium breakfast that is easily digested. Oatmeal or just some fruit.

I might also take some sports drink immediately before. Hydrate, but don't overhydrate. Remember, this is a short race so too much fluid will just be extra weight to lug to the finish line.

Victor

------------------
www.competitiverunner.com

RTCRUNR
Cool Runner
posted Nov-08-2005 01:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RTCRUNR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There are some good suggestions here but the main thing is to experiment a little to see what works best for you. Personally, I never eat anything before morning races of 10k or less, and I've never experienced any negative effects from lack of food (no energy crashes, etc). I just drink fluids (often water and a watered-down sports drink), and I cut that off about an hour before race time except for maybe a sip or two. I tried a variety of things early in my racing career from toast to bananas to oatmeal and eventually learned that I seemed to run best without eating anything at all.

RunninAway16
posted Nov-13-2005 04:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunninAway16   Click Here to Email RunninAway16     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
a couple people have mentioned sports drinks. what sports drinks are most effective? gatorade? energy drinks?

sandbox
posted Nov-13-2005 04:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sandbox     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Gatorade isn't the best unless you dilute with equal amount of water. There are other products out there, my favorite is "Gookinaid Hydralyte" www.gookinaid.com -- it is a "cleaner burn" in my opinion and has less "stuff" in it than traditional drinks. Another trick, have a Gu or other carbohydrate gel 20 min before start with 8 oz of water -- no mess, easy on the tummy and gives you a bit of a boost. Otherwise, simple is best in the morning as everyone else has already suggested. Go easier that first mile, so you can hammer it to the end.

Bill7
Cool Runner
posted Nov-13-2005 04:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bill7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Good suggestions here.

Still, I find the regimen of Redrodeo on the heavy side. This may trigger Nature urges (number 2) for races of 10 miles and up. Unless one makes sure to go to the bathroom before the race. Perhaps, the posters have suggestions re this related issue.

Bill

RunninAway16
posted Nov-13-2005 06:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunninAway16   Click Here to Email RunninAway16     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Awesome. I think i will try the gookinaid drink sometime.

I have another issue that may complicate the entire issue of nutrition before races however. I forgot to mention that I have "nature urgures" (#2) multiple times before my races. Often these urges are in the form of diarrea, so I am worried about losing hydration before my race. These pre-race urges are more frequent before important races, which I am much more nervous for. Can I prevent these urges? Should I hydrate differently because of them?

dmichaels
Cool Runner
posted Nov-20-2005 11:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dmichaels     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For me, not a lot, 2.5 hours before, half a bagel or muffin, banana, half a power bar, couple grapes or strawberries, little coffee, some gatorade, bottle of water, red bull. The hour before, just a little water and gatorade, a red bull, and a little candy/sugar (kitkat or couple mini snickers). Could be superstitious, but some red bull (1, 2, or even 3) and candy 60-15 minutes before the start really revs me up for the start, and it feels like it keeps my energey/attitude up at mile 2. Everyone's different, experiment.

------------------

runrgrl1
Cool Runner
posted Nov-22-2005 07:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runrgrl1   Click Here to Email runrgrl1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As everybody else suggested, you'll have to experiment and see what works for YOU. Personally, oatmeal sits very heavy in my stomach even if I eat a tiny little bit 3 hours beforehand. I have better luck with a small bowl of a lightweight cereal like Smartstart or something like that. For a longer race I'll add a piece of toast w/ jelly.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: