Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: sue

half marathon

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   half marathon
leon2
Cool Runner
posted Feb-10-2005 03:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is not a goal-specific topic (i.e. "1:30 half marathon thread"). I believe most of us are smart enough to know how to train to meet whatever time goals we have for the half marathon. And it's not a "how' ya doin'"/results type of thread either. This is simply a collection of information specifically about the half marathon -- tips on strategy, nutrition, ... etc.

Half Marathon Training Program, by the late Andy Palmer. This appeared in Running Times, and is one of the best half marathon training programs I have found.

The Good Old Half Marathon, by Roy Benson. This also appeared in RT, and is another good 1/2M training program.

The Half Marathon Allure - 13.1 Miles of Perfection, by Gabriel Sherman. Another excellent RT article, complete with a 12-week training program.

RW's 10-week sub-1:25 half-marathon schedules. This appears on the RW (UK) website. As you can see, it does state a time goal. However, if you scroll to the bottom you will find a link to other schedules.

Half-Marathon Logistics, by Bob Glover (author of The Competitive Runner's Handbook). An excellent article on race strategy for the 1/2M. It includes training tips for various time goals.

John Kellogg Training Advice. The title pretty much sums it up -- great advice from a great coach.

I have compiled a lot of information about the half marathon that covers what types of training other runners do. But I thought I'd leave some work for the rest of you. Not race times, but information on how runners (including yourselves) use the half marathon. Here is an example of the kind of information we can include:

"Mizuki Noguchi currently has a novel approach to Olympic training. After her silver medal in last year’s World Champs marathon guaranteed her an Olympic marathon team vest, the Japanese who also has a silver medal from the ‘99 World Half Marathon Champs has decided she will compete in one half marathon a month leading up to the Olympic Games. This is to ensure she will develop an ability to surge late in the race in hopes of of Athens gold."

This is from the topic: Mizuki's Training if any of you are interested in other details about her training.

This is about Sylvia Mosqueda. She ran 3 half marathons on consecutive weekends last year - Jan. 11, 18, 25 - using them as tempo runs and long runs.

RWD: Did you plan in advance to do all three? Three half-marathons in three weeks, that's pretty tough.

SM: It depends on how you approach them. If you go there using a lot of your adrenalin and pumping up for each one, it becomes a race. I went there with the mindset "this is just a tempo run," because my tempo runs are just as hard as my races, and it didn't really effect me. I would want to get my long 21-mile runs in the same day, so I'd warm up three miles, do the half-marathon, and change into my trainers (shoes) and go an extra five miles. After that 1:09, running five miles after was tough. That was really pushing. That 1:09, I was really out there soloing from the gun.

Since the half marathon can be used as a tempo run, I wanted to include an article that appeared in RT -- A Tempo Run by Many Other Names - The T-word Describes a Specific--and Very Useful--Workout, by Kevin Beck

As all of you know, Haile Gebrselassie has recently been using half marathons (quite successfully) as tune-up runs/litmus tests to help him decide whether or not he will compete in the London marathon. It's a good decision on his part, I believe, because the distance is long enough to give him good feedback, yet short enough so that he can recover in time, should he decide to run London.

So if you have any more information like this -- tips, strategy, nutrition, ... etc., feel free to add it.

[This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Feb-10-2005).]

IP: Logged

rip van racer
Cool Runner
posted Feb-10-2005 08:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rip van racer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Leon, Here are some tips I have about pacing and warming up. I will use a 1:20 time as a basis. This is a 6:07 pace. When deciding how fast to start, I divide the race into 4ths using 12 miles because it is easier to divide. 12 miles at a 6:07 pace is about 73:20. I have found the best races are run with the first half in 50.5% and the second half in 49.5%.
Multiply 73:20 X .505 and your 6 mile split should be about 37 minutes. Multiply X.505 again to get your 3 mile split. This would be about 18:40. This comes out to a 6:13 pace for the first 3 miles. The second 3 miles would be 18:20. If you divide miles 6-12 (36:20) the same way, miles 6-9 would also be about 18:20 and 10-12 would be 18:00. You would have 6:40 left for the last 1.1 miles. The mile splits would look like the following:
6:17
6:13 12:30
6:10 18:40 18:40
6:08 24:48
6:07 30:55
6:07 37:02 18:22
6:07 43:09
6:06 49:15
6:05 55:20 18:18
6:03 61:23
6:00 67:23
5:57 73:20 18:00
5:55 79:15
:40 1:19:55
:40

Now you have to figure out how much warmup to do. I have found that when beginning to run, I can improve my time 20 seconds per mile with the same efort until I get to the pace I want to run. When I am well rested, I can run the first mile in 7 minutes at a comfortable pace. I can do the second mile in 6:40. The third mile would be 6:20. Since my first mile goal in the race is 6:17, I would only need to warmup 2 miles. (If I was running a 5k at 5:40 first mile, I would need to warmup 4 miles).

The splits are based on a flat course. If you are running on a hilly course, try to adjust the splits accordingly.

By following these tips, you will be properly warmed up and give youself the best chance for a successful race.

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Feb-10-2005 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That's a good strategy.

Studying pacing is very helpful, and I have a lot of that kind of race split information, especially where the runner ran negative splits. We could also put together some training schedules, taper weeks, ... etc. of other runners.

Below is a 14-day segment of Rodgers Rop's training leading up to the Lisbon half marathon:

Mon 15th - AM: 25 min warm up + (Kapsabet track, dirt and at an altitude of 2400 meters.) 7 x 2000-meter, recovery 2:30 jogging, in 5:53, 5:52, 5:49, 5:48, 5:49, 5:52, 5:45
    PM: 40 min easy (9 km)

Tue AM: One hour easy (15 km) + 10 x 100m sprint uphill
    PM: One hour easy (15 km)

Wed -- AM: One hour, 31-minute moderate-progressive pace (from 3:40 to 3:15) (27k)
    PM: One hour, 33-minute moderate-progressive pace (from 3:40 to 3:20) (27k)

Thu -- AM: 45 minutes (9K)
    PM: 45 minutes (9K)

Fri -- AM: One hour easy
    PM: One hour moderate

Sat -- AM: One hour easy (14K)
    PM: 40 min (8k) + 20 x 60m sprint uphill

Sun -- AM: 30 min warm up, 20k in 1:02:26. Alternating 1K at 2:56 average and 1K at 3:18 average.
    PM: rest

Mon -- AM: One hour easy regeneration (14K)
    PM: 50 min easy (11K)

Tue -- AM: One hour easy (15K)
    PM: One hour easy (15K)

Wed -- AM: One hour easy fartlek (16K)
    PM: One hour easy (15K)

Thu -- AM: 40 minutes easy + 5K (on track in Nairobi) in 14:27
    PM: Travel to Lisbon

Fri -- AM: Travel to Lisbon
    PM: 40 minutes easy (8K)

Sat -- AM: 40 minutes easy (10K)
    PM: 30 min easy + 8 x 60m sprint uphill

Sun -- Lisbon Half Marathon (1st in 59:49, PR)

This is Rop's training under his new coach, Renato Canova. All of my information is about elite runners, but I think it's still relevant if we study it and get some ideas what the training objectives were.

I mentioned in my first post that Geb was using half marathons as tune-up races. The 1/2M is a good distance for that. Here is an article by Pete Pfitzinger on that subject, Getting in Tune: How Tune-up Races Can Help You in Your Goal Race. There is a lot of good, sound advice for runners training specifically for the half marathon, such as:

Tune-up races should be inserted into your schedule after a solid base-building period. For example, say you are devoting 16 weeks to preparing for a goal half marathon. Set up your program so that you do eight weeks of base training, then schedule tune-up races eight, six, four, and two weeks before your goal race. These four tune-ups would be an important component of your preparation for achieving your half marathon goal.

Also useful would be information on warm-up for the half marathon, i.e. strides, ... and any other pre-race routines that runners use.

[This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Feb-10-2005).]

aurang
Cool Runner
posted Feb-16-2005 01:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for aurang     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have no information about a half marathon, but I'd like to note how slowly Rop ran his easy runs: running 8-minute pace for two, and mid-7s for another. That's roughly how fast I run my easy runs.

rip van racer
Cool Runner
posted Feb-16-2005 05:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rip van racer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't even do easy runs. I substitute a stairmaster workout for all my easy runs.

pommer2005
posted Nov-09-2005 12:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pommer2005   Click Here to Email pommer2005     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey I wanna do a half in early june. I was looking at RW's 10-week sub-1:25 half-marathon schedule cause I would really like to go under 1:23ish. My question is, for anyone that has done this program or one similar to it, how much time would I have to devote to it, cause I dont know if I can balance college, work and 50 mpw at the same time.

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Nov-09-2005 07:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most of the half marathons I’ve run have been just because I like the distance. They haven’t been to prepare me for some other distance, take the place of a tempo run, etc. However I have used it on one occasion as a stepping stone to my personal best marathon by racing one two weeks before the main event. More recently I raced a couple half-marathons as part of my base. Although I treated them as “real” races and wanted to do well in them, I made no adjustments to my training. The distance is a perfect fit for those who include tempo runs and longer, slower intervals with short rest as part of their base training. You are likely to get a fitness bump from the race, enabling you to increase your tempo run and long interval pace without increasing the effort as you continue on with your base buildup.

My User Profile

Achilles58
Cool Runner
posted Nov-09-2005 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Achilles58     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Leon2
Thanks for the posts. You amazing. Do you do this for a living or are just one of those highly organised people that can keep tabs on such stuff without effort? Or maybe you're writing a book?
-The only thing about the M/2 in training for the big M is that it seems mind-boggling at the end of the M/2 that you'd only be half way thru in the big M!

Jim24315
Cool Runner
posted Nov-09-2005 08:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim24315   Click Here to Email Jim24315     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Achilles58:
Leon2
Thanks for the posts. You amazing. Do you do this for a living or are just one of those highly organised people that can keep tabs on such stuff without effort? Or maybe you're writing a book?
-The only thing about the M/2 in training for the big M is that it seems mind-boggling at the end of the M/2 that you'd only be half way thru in the big M!

You hit the nail on the head for me. I've often wondered how Leon does it. Does he have some type of database application, such as Access that's filled with links he can query up at the blink of an eye? It made me consider the idea for my own use. You could include a key word field and possibly a date along with your link. Then when you need a link you could just punch in the key word(s) with wild card, such as *half*mar*. Is that what you do Leon? What's your secret? Whatever the organizing method, it still takes a knack for picking just the right one for the situation and dressing it up with some nice commentary. This is not to mention actually reading those zillions of articles.

Regarding the feeling after completing a half marathon, I think the same thing as you after every one of them. I ask myself, "how would you like to turn around and do this all over again?" Maybe that's why I haven't run a marathon in 12 years.

P.S. I didn't realize we were reviving an old link until after I'd responded. I guess pommer2005 started it.

Btw, pommer, I think you know the answer to your question. If you are thinking about running that fast you must have some experience with training. Only you know if you can just walk out the door for your run, have to drive somewhere, how long it takes you to get dressesed, shower afterwords etc. So far as the running time, example would be 7.5 x 50 = 375. This is the number of minutes it would take to run 50 miles at 7:30 pace. For 8-minute pace it would take 400 minutes (8 x 50), etc.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: