Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Leezle

Breakfast ideas for non dairy, low gluten diet

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Breakfast ideas for non dairy, low gluten diet
RunnerSneeze
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunnerSneeze     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey everybody,
I read that reducing dairy products and gluten can have a positive effect on chronic sinusitis. Has anyone here tried this and experienced positive results?

I am really in need of a few breakfast ideas to replace the usual milk/yogurt with cereal.

Thanks!

IP: Logged

totaleffort
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 11:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for totaleffort     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Eggs.

butterfly
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 11:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for butterfly   Click Here to Email butterfly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm not sure about gluten, but I definately have to avoid dairy if I don't want sinus problems. (PS I really LOVE cheese, but even a samall bit makes me have a lot of mucus and a sinus headache ) I use soymilk. When I fist started I used only enough to get my cereal wet. Now, I can drink what's left in the bowl. A whole glass? Maybe never. I mostly avoid all animal foods (cholesterol issues) and eat lots of whole grains, beans, fruits, vegggies, some nuts and soy. I personally haven't had any problems with gluten, though I know some who do.
}"{

Ariann
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 12:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ariann     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk are possibilities. I've only ever had soy milk, but I've heard rice milk best replicates the texture of skim milk. They also make oat milk, but I don't know if even that would be too much gluten for you. There are also soy yogurts available.

There are many gluten-free cereals on the market, both cold and hot (Whole Foods has a good selection, I imagine any natural health food store would). Hot rice cereal is tasty and requires no milk; it's available in every supermarket.

They also make gluten-free frozen waffles, which are delicious - again, check out Whole Foods for these. I eat them on mornings I'm running late and make them into a waffle pb&j sandwich, which is absolutely drool-worthy. If you have a progressive-type bakery around, you can find some very good gluten-free baked goods. Or, you can buy gluten-free baked goods in the frozen section or fresh breads section of natural food stores.

Smoothies are another good choice, just make them without milk - frozen fruits, bananas, fruit juices (or water or non-dairy milk) and nut butters in different combinations are all delicious.

One of my favorite breakfasts, when I have a lot of time on my hands, is home-made hash browns, with tons of potatoes, onion, bell peppers, hot sauce, and ketchup.

NorthernElf
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 01:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NorthernElf   Click Here to Email NorthernElf     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My whole journey to going gluten free started with incurable sinus issues. Tried it all - sprays, antibiotics, xrays, CT scan, etc. No identifiable cause. I was also getting inflammation in my body and fatigue, soreness, etc.

It's is hard to go truly gluten free - gluten is in almost any premade food, anything processed. Products are also cross contaminated - Canadian Smarties have gluten contamination, M&Ms don't...go figure.

Once I got strictly gluten free, I was a different person, not such a grump, felt 100% better. I KNOW when I screw up and get "glutened" most of the time and it takes some time to get out of my system. I've also toned up/leaned up an already lean body - probably because there is so much I can't eat !!

I eat moderate amounts of dairy - some hard cheese, creamo in my coffee, the occasional glass of milk, and yogurt.

Ice Cream
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 02:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ice Cream     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NorthernElf:
My whole journey to going gluten free started with incurable sinus issues. Tried it all - sprays, antibiotics, xrays, CT scan, etc. No identifiable cause. I was also getting inflammation in my body and fatigue, soreness, etc.

It's is hard to go truly gluten free - gluten is in almost any premade food, anything processed. Products are also cross contaminated - Canadian Smarties have gluten contamination, M&Ms don't...go figure.

Once I got strictly gluten free, I was a different person, not such a grump, felt 100% better. I KNOW when I screw up and get "glutened" most of the time and it takes some time to get out of my system. I've also toned up/leaned up an already lean body - probably because there is so much I can't eat !!

I eat moderate amounts of dairy - some hard cheese, creamo in my coffee, the occasional glass of milk, and yogurt.

I have the same problem, but quitting dairy did not do anything for me. After 6 months, I got back onto it, and I did not notice any difference. Same is true of DH, who has the same problem.

graingirl
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 03:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for graingirl   Click Here to Email graingirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Eggs: hard-boiled, omelettes, fried, scrambled, breakfast casseroles

Homemade muffins: there are lots of different flours out there you can use.

Brown rice cereal: brown rice, dried fruit of choice, soy or rice milk

Potatoes w/peppers, onions, sausage, scrambled eggs

Bean burrito in a corn tortilla

Smoothies: fruit, soy/rice milk

Gluten-free tortilla (TJ's has brown rice tortillas) smeared with peanut butter and wrapped around a banana

spidergirl
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 04:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spidergirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My breakfast this morning was dairy and gluten-free:

Cooked amarynth with cinnamon, soymilk, ground flax seeds and berries

teetime
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2007 08:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for teetime     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graingirl:
Brown rice cereal: brown rice, dried fruit of choice, soy or rice milk

Potatoes w/peppers, onions, sausage, scrambled eggs

In the past few weeks I've had 3 things that would fit the bill.

A) A rice pudding made with almond milk (I adore Almond Breeze, Unsweetened) It was white rice (brown would be fine I'm sure) and the rice along with the raisins = carb and the eggs plus the almond milk = protein/fat.

B) Baked sweet potato with brown sugar and bit of butter.

C) Plantain and sweet potato sauteed with maple syrup.

RunnerSneeze
Cool Runner
posted Apr-02-2007 03:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunnerSneeze     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks everyone for your great breakfast ideas.
I originally posted this question because of my teenage son. He is actually the one with the sinus problems. He has managed a NON-dairy, LOW gluten diet for about 4 weeks now. The funny thing is, he notices no changes in his sinuses BUT his acne has cleared up tremendously!
He is very happy about that. I think he has finally realized that what you eat actually does have an effect on your body.

Ice Cream
Cool Runner
posted Apr-02-2007 05:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ice Cream     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There is a ceral by Bob's Red Mill called
Mightly Tasty Gluten-Free Hot Cereal. it comes in a 24 oz. bag. I occasionally eat it.

muzicgrl
Cool Runner
posted Apr-02-2007 07:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for muzicgrl   Click Here to Email muzicgrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RunnerSneeze:
Thanks everyone for your great breakfast ideas.
I originally posted this question because of my teenage son. He is actually the one with the sinus problems. He has managed a NON-dairy, LOW gluten diet for about 4 weeks now. The funny thing is, he notices no changes in his sinuses BUT his acne has cleared up tremendously!
He is very happy about that. I think he has finally realized that what you eat actually does have an effect on your body.

Skin clearing up is most likely due to the dairy. I have heard of doctors suggesting cutting out dairy for acne problems in some of my friends (adults). Just be sure that he is still getting adequate calium (even guys need the proper amount of calcium)

teetime
Cool Runner
posted Apr-03-2007 02:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for teetime     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
By the way, this time of year (i.e. Passover) is a great time to stock up on some gluten free products. The cakes etc. aren't good since Matzo meal has gluten but some products that are great for baking (e.g. potato starch) are very easy to find and flour free cookies like meringues and macaroons are around.

dragonsrouges
Cool Runner
posted Apr-03-2007 02:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dragonsrouges   Click Here to Email dragonsrouges     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Spinach omelet? (You gotta put lots of spinach)

[This message has been edited by dragonsrouges (edited Apr-03-2007).]

Ariann
Cool Runner
posted Apr-03-2007 02:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ariann     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teetime:
By the way, this time of year (i.e. Passover) is a great time to stock up on some gluten free products. The cakes etc. aren't good since Matzo meal has gluten but some products that are great for baking (e.g. potato starch) are very easy to find and flour free cookies like meringues and macaroons are around.

If you're a gluten-free Jew and need to get your hands on matzah, there are gluten-free or at least lower-gluten varieties around. A friend of mine with celiac disease gets mail-order oat matzah which she can tolerate.

I'm doing fruit smoothies for breakfast during Passover - gluten and dairy-free.

FroelichJL
Cool Runner
posted Apr-16-2007 12:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FroelichJL     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've been eating this for weeks now. It's very tasty.

1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 cup water
1 medium apple chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

Best topped with 1/2 cup Vanilla flavored soy milk (not included in nutritional information).

Yield: 6 cups.
Serving size: 1 cups

Calories 194.8
Total Fat 0.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g

Sodium 3.9 mg
Potassium 258.1 mg

Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g

Protein 3.3 g

Aikobear
Cool Runner
posted Apr-17-2007 12:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aikobear     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We eat gluten and dairy free at every meal.

Try Bob's Red Mill creamy buckwheat hot cereal. It's yummy if you add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup to it in the last minute of cooking.

There's a brand of pancake mix from Canada called Kinicknack or something and it is hands down the best gluten free mix we have ever tried, makes nice fluffy pancakes!! If you can find them, they also make an awesone gluten free bagel too.

Cultured soy instead of Yogurt. Rice milk is good with puffed rice cereal and a banana sliced in it.

Someone else mentioned the gluten free toaster waffles. Trader Joes has some tasty banana flavored ones.

Uncured turkey bacon for a little protein now and then.

Always have a piece of fresh fruit or citrus.

There's more and more gluten free stuff hitting the shelves every year, keep your eyes out for it.

Cheers,

AB

------------------
A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A DREAM

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: