Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Leezle

Running causing muscle loss??

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running causing muscle loss??
Alikay2
Cool Runner
posted Mar-24-2006 10:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alikay2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My friend knows that I'm an avid runner and told me that he read in his "Men's Fitness" Magazine that running too much or doing too much cardio can cause muscle loss and isn't a good way to get in shape. I said that it was BOLOGNE and that they didn't know what they were talking about!! Have any of you heard of anything like this??

IP: Logged

PCmarathonmommy
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 02:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PCmarathonmommy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
if you are not eating enough good food this can be true. When doing a lot of running it is important to eat a lot of carbs and proteins to make sure that your body is burning the carbs and using the protein to kepe your muscles strong. if you don't have enough energy stored in carbs your body will start eating away at your muscle.

Alikay2
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 02:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alikay2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well I suppose that makes sense and thanks so much for the info! But still - I get so defensive when people rag on running and how bad it is for you. All I know is that since I've started running I've definitely built muscle mass and become more fit. What do these silly magazines know? We'll show 'em! haha...

shanidempsey
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 02:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for shanidempsey   Click Here to Email shanidempsey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The article is right!
But....

You have to remember that women and men have different goals. I work at a gym and I am a marathon runners so I hear different goals everyday.

Most men want to build muscle!

Most women want to reduce
1.Reduce body fat
2.Maintain or build a little muscle
3.Tone our bodies.If you are running over your target heart rate your body is not reducing the body fat and you may lose muscle.

You can achieve these goals by
1.Watching your heart rate.
2. Healthy eating
3. Stay away from the fried foods, junk food, and soda.
4. Drink lots of water
5. Run 3-5 times a week
6. Make a goal and reach it

Good luck!!!

Shani

------------------
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=selmadempsey

Hairy Trotter
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 10:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy Trotter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As with a lot of conventional wisdom about fitness and exercise, there's a tiny shred of truth to the idea, but it's so dramatically overreported and stripped of context by the likes of Men's Fitness that it's a myth.

For most individuals, most exercise of almost any length and type eats muscle tissue. Depending on exercise intensity and length, you burn a mix of mainly fat and carbohydrate for fuel during exercise. But you also burn a little protein. To get the protein, your body typically breaks down (catabolizes) muscle tissue.

But, for people with normal diets and metabolisms, amino acids make up a small part of the energy equation unless exercise is very intense or very prolonged. It's true that, late in a very long run at reasonably high intensity, the body will begin to rely more protein for energy (but still not much). But this would also happen during a one hour-plus intense weight-lifting session. Or if you fast.

In any event, the condition is easily reversible by eating just a little protein, particularly soon after exercise. If catabolism DURING exercise necessarily led to long-term loss of muscle tissue, then weight-lifters and everybody else who trains would get weaker with every training session. That doesn't happen because the body goes into anabolic (rebuilding) mode when you eat and rest.

The reason why running SEEMS to cause muscle tissue loss to some runners doesn't have much to do with catabolism. It has more to do with the fiber adaptations that come with endurance training.

The junk in Men's Fitness tends to be oversimplified BS by free-lance writers who are utterly unqualified to say anything useful about a complex subject like metabolism and endurance exercise. Which never stops them from saying a lot.

So you can call BS on your friend.

figbash
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 10:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for figbash   Click Here to Email figbash     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What Harry said.

I might add that muscle loss in distance runners only becomes an issue at extreme mileages. Much farther than most of us would or could run on a regular basis.

Tom

------------------
My Profile
My Running Log

Alikay2
Cool Runner
posted Mar-25-2006 03:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alikay2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks y'all! At least I understand what they were TRYING to get across by bashing my precious running!! So basically I'll tell my friend that if he's running and eating right (which he eats A LOT) and lifting weights (which he does) he should be fine. Thanks again - good info!

FatHobbit
Cool Runner
posted Mar-31-2006 09:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FatHobbit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It is taken as common knowledge in bodybuilding circles that cardio in general and running especially (in the #1 spot) is a "body stripping" activity.

One is supposed to do cardio very sparingly, and only during one's cutting phase, no cardio at all during bulking phase, and never EVER run for more than 30 mins.

Personally I think there is some truth to it. A marathon runner has an opposite body type than a bodybuilder. And for me, using running for the opposite reason, no activity seems to strip body fat faster than running. I wish my cycling would burn fat as fast, but it doesn't. You see plenty of fast "Old Fat Guys" with beer guts cycling, but how many fast runners on the road with jiggling beer guts? And the fastest runners in the world come from what part of the world and have what kind of bodies with what kind of body fat levels and what size bulging pecs and triceps and huge back muscles?

It's is very hard to be two things at once. Either you're a tiny runner-body-type hill climber cyclist or a big-muscle sprinter cyclist. Sprinters can't climb, climbers can't sprint. Pick which one you want to be and (forgive the pun) run with it. :-)

bigapplepie
Cool Runner
posted Mar-31-2006 09:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bigapplepie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It only takes 4 calories of energy to break down a gram of carbohydrates or protein (muscle) but 9 calories to burn a gram of fat. In extreme conditions, such as during the latter parts of an endurance event or if you are eating at a substantial calorific deficit, your body takes the easy option.

People who undertake regular crash diets tend to get "skinny fat", where their weight is average for their height but they still have excess flab. I know, it happened to me. It took a lot of weight-training to rebuild some of that muscle but I still have a too much flab for a guy who is 5'9" and 155 pounds.

learn2letgo
posted Apr-01-2006 10:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for learn2letgo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You have to make sure that you eat enough protien. If you dont have any fat to burn(in other words if your really skinny) then your body will start to burn muscle instead of fat. BAD NEWS! I have a problem with getting enough protien. I'm not a big meat eater eww. I drink a boost after practice everyday. Strawberry is the best flavor. There all also many other energy drinks that supply protien.

------------------
running store 1
running store 2
the graphics and most of the saying used on the products in these stores I created myself. so please, if you dont purchase them from my site, dont steal my ideas.

slacckk
posted Apr-18-2006 09:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for slacckk     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've been running consistantly for 2 years. Not training for marathons or anything, just doing 45-60 minutes 4-5 days a week.

In that time I've gained muscle in my legs, glutes, abs and obliques to the tune of about 15 pounds. I've lost much fat and I'm slimmer, but I'm way more solid and muscular all around.

I suppose that if your goal is to look like Ah-nold too much cardio might not be the best thing. But I literally have doubled the size of my quads, hamstrings and glutes over the past 2 years.

Granted, I was pretty sedentary before that.

TheWriter
Cool Runner
posted Apr-18-2006 10:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheWriter   Click Here to Email TheWriter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am a pretty muscular 200 lbs. I have pretty much accepted that will have to lose a fair amount of muscle for cardiovascular health. If I lost my entire fat content and no muscle I'd still be overweight.

Ariann
Cool Runner
posted Apr-18-2006 11:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ariann     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheWriter:
I am a pretty muscular 200 lbs. I have pretty much accepted that will have to lose a fair amount of muscle for cardiovascular health. If I lost my entire fat content and no muscle I'd still be overweight.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you'd need to lose muscle for better cardiovascular health? Is it to attain a certain weight? What does it matter that you'd be overweight if your body fat percentage was low?

brianmcg123
Cool Runner
posted Apr-19-2006 07:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for brianmcg123   Click Here to Email brianmcg123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ariann:
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you'd need to lose muscle for better cardiovascular health? Is it to attain a certain weight? What does it matter that you'd be overweight if your body fat percentage was low?

Thats what I was thinking. This makes no sense.

TheWriter
Cool Runner
posted Apr-19-2006 05:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheWriter   Click Here to Email TheWriter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have been up and down in weight and I find if I run I lose muscle along with fat. But I feel a lot better. At my strongest, my knees hurt and I get out of breath just climbing stairs. There is probably a balance, but it seems that runners are generaly healthier than bodybuilders.

yelloboy
Cool Runner
posted Apr-19-2006 09:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for yelloboy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Training for my first marathon last summer/fall, I lost a noticeable amount of strength in the gym. Bench press, military press, squats - you name it. During marathon training I continued to lift weights at least 3x a week, so it's not like I stopped going to the gym.

Prior to marathon training I was 140lbs, 12% body fat (16.8lbs fat). After marathon training (and today) I'm 130lbs, 8% body fat (10.4lbs fat). Using these numbers, I lost 6.4lbs of body fat and 3.6lbs of muscle. No two ways around that 3.6lbs - that's strength loss.

I currently run about 40-50mpw and lift weights 3-4x a week. I've stabilized now, in terms of lifting strength, and have actually started to build back up, but when marathon training rolls around again I'm sure I will lose some muscle once more.

[This message has been edited by yelloboy (edited Apr-19-2006).]

lonesome dove
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 04:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lonesome dove     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Juliette Bergmann runs 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Granted she is not a marathoner, but does it look like running decreased any of her muscle mass?

The Holy Trinity of Body Building

Exercise
Diet
Rest/Recovery

Alikay2
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alikay2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hahahaha... Lonesome dove - that picture is hysterical!

LeahC
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 08:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LeahC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I don't mean to offend, but... oh my god, that's disgusting.. I just can't comprehend why anyone would want to look like that. I know it's muscle, and it seems like it should be good but it just looks so unhealthy.. In the same way anorexia is unhealthy..

[This message has been edited by LeahC (edited Apr-21-2006).]

Cocodrie
posted Apr-21-2006 08:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cocodrie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nice to see what a little "jackin" can to do your muscles. And be sure to always use a clean needle.

angrek
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angrek   Click Here to Email angrek     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheWriter:

Depends on what you call cardiovascular health. I'm 37, 5' 11", 204lbs and I logged 26 miles last week at an average 9:01 pace with my fastest mile a 6:38. I may not be a world class marathoner but I've only been back into running for a year and a few months after a 16 year break with 10 of them smoking, and I'm only getting better and faster. (and I have asthma to boot) The only thing stopping you is yourself.

Alikay2
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 11:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alikay2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm still trying to figure out if it's a man or a woman ... hmm... tricky

lonesome dove
Cool Runner
posted Apr-23-2006 01:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lonesome dove     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ok, so I forgot to mention the fourth dimension of the professional sport: Juice and lots of it.

And actually, she is a woman alikay and one of the more feminine looking in women's professional body building. I guess to each his/her own but I don't think a muscular woman is unattractive or gross. She worked very hard to get that body and that was really the point of my post. You work hard, you get results but it is a bigger committment than most people are willing to make. And my other point was that cardio will not lead to muscle loss. Tons of "natural" body builders who run are out there to disprove that myth.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: