Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: pmcneb, , RunMommaRun

Gallbladder surgery recovery

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Gallbladder surgery recovery
rha3
posted Mar-05-2007 10:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rha3   Click Here to Email rha3     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was reading through this forum and it seems like a lot of people posting have lost a lot of weight and I was wondering if anyone has had to have their gallbladder removed because of the weight loss, and most importantly, how long did it take for your recovery? Okay not recovery, how long until you could run again? I have atleast 8 road races planned from April 6th until Oct 28th and I don't want to miss any of them. The surgery is going to be laproscopic which has a shorter recovery then if they opened you right up to do it, but any advice would be great.

IP: Logged

smpankowski
Cool Runner
posted Mar-05-2007 12:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for smpankowski   Click Here to Email smpankowski     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have not had that surgury. I have had a few. A broken/dislocated ankle kept me on the side lines for 9 months. A torn rotator cuff kept me from running for three months. Then I had to promise not to do beter than a 12 min mile. All my Dr.s are runners. Even the one who did my vasectomy. He told me I would not feel like running. You know....he was right. Anyway, we're all different. Ask your Dr.and may you have a speedy recovery.

------------------
Blessings along the journey, SteveP

My User Profile

kevinmc
posted Mar-05-2007 03:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kevinmc     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My wife had laparascopic gall bladder surgery. April 6th seems optimistic if you've yet to have the surgery. You might be able to run by the 3rd week, maybe even the 2nd week. But races longer than 5K might be a challenge until week 5 or 6.

pcsronbo
Cool Runner
posted Mar-05-2007 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pcsronbo   Click Here to Email pcsronbo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had (2) hernia surgeries - first I was out 6 weeks (but 100% out of shape) and second wsa out 4 weeks (but again out of shape).

If you've been consistant in your training over months/years then I would say you MAYBE could do April, but don't expect to do well. Assuming surgery is today!

I think you should nix your April races and startup in May, YMMV good luck and nice a steady slow rebuild so you don't rip it!

thinbyxmas
Cool Runner
posted Mar-05-2007 08:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for thinbyxmas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I lost 35 pounds and had to have my gallbladder removed laparascopically. I was totally, completely, out of it and unable to get out of bed for 8 days.

When I had ovarian cysts removed by lap, twice, I recovered MUCH more quickyl. (Sorry for the TMI, just trying to give you some perspective.) I also had 2 other female surgeries, and I recovered faster from them, too, than the gb.

Not trying to bum you out, just be honest.

juliemboyle
Cool Runner
posted Mar-06-2007 04:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for juliemboyle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had mine removed a few years ago and had to take it easy for 2 weeks. I felt great the day after, but wasn't allowed to lift anything heavy or go back to working out hard for 2 weeks.

aliceneal
posted Mar-09-2007 08:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for aliceneal     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just had gallbladder surgery last October. It was laparoscopic but a bit more difficult than usual. Stayed home from work for five days, exhausted, but after 2 weeks I felt OK. However, the Docs said don't run for a few more weeks--could cause liver damage until the interior sutures were completely healed. I tried to run once or twice in the ensuing weeks but it was very uncomfortable. I didn't get back on a regular schedule until 8 weeks after surgery. However, here I am 9 weeks of training later and getting ready to do my first 15 mile long run of the year this weekend, and feeling great! So, be patient--you will come back--even better than before.

Augie
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2007 06:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Augie   Click Here to Email Augie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had mine removed laparoscopically when I was 24, two years ago (I lost 125 lbs). I was in at 7 am and out by 6 pm the same day. I kind of lay around at home for about a week, and then started walking a little on the treadmill. By the end of week two I was running about a mile. By the end of week three I was doing about 3. By the end of week four I was almost back to normal (well, normalish: I wasn't doing any long runs till about week eight). The doctor said my comeback was phenomenal and that I could probably thank my marathon running for it. The nurses laughed when they took my blood pressure and pulse because they said that they hadn't seen numbers like mine in ages.
What I learned: listen to your body. Even with laparoscopic surgery, you're going to feel the incisions pulling a little when you run. Don't push it. They will hurt a LOT if you do (I speak from experience). You might be able to feel them for a while, but if they hurt, stop.
Don't forget that for every day you lie around in bed, it takes about 7 days to recover lost conditioning (now, that is true for most people, my surgeon said, but for runners may be more or less true). Get up and get moving, but when you get back on the road, don't forget the conditioning you may have lost. I didn't start having ITB problems until that surgery, and I think I triggered them by trying to come back too fast.

------------------
"Penguins are so sensitive to my needs." --Lyle Lovett
I am Jack's long-dormant inner-runner.
Random Thoughts

My User Profile

rha3
posted Mar-19-2007 07:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rha3   Click Here to Email rha3     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I still haven't had the surgery, I keep getting bumped down the wait list because I am young and healthy and in realtively little pain ( I live in Ontario, and we have really long wait times for surgeries that are not as "serious" ) a friend of mine ended up waiting 8 months for hers to be removed so it might not be until the fall, but I will definately be taking it easy for probably a month after they do it. Thanks for the advice! And congrats to Augie who lost over 100lbs. That is AWESOME!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: