Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: kevinm, hup, sole man

Shoes for supinator

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Shoes for supinator
jeffj229
posted Aug-29-2006 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jeffj229     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
According to the research I've done, I'm an under pronator or "supinator". I looked at the Asics website and saw plenty of shoes designed for over pronators, but nothing for under pronators. The closest thing I saw on their little scale was the new Kinsei which is more of a neutral shoe. I have a pair of Mizuno wave shoes but my shins hurt and i'm wondering if I have the wrong shoe for me.

IP: Logged

jrlund
posted Aug-30-2006 12:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jrlund     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey Jeff. I saw your thread in the newbie forum and it sounds like we're in the same boat.
I'm six feet tall and weigh 280 under-pronate. I've been running pretty regular for only a couple of months now, so I'm no expert, but I've gone through a lot of shoes. The ones I like the best right now are the New Balance 1060.
They feel good and stable, have good cushioning and last decently long considering how much punishment I give them.
Hope this helps.

dcjohnston
Cool Runner
posted Aug-30-2006 04:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dcjohnston     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Supinators with high arches need a lot of cushioning. So if you look at shoe types you want to go for a Neutral-cushioned shoe. The good news is most any running shoe works for you. However, be aware that as your mileage increases weekly you may find some shoes are not as good for you as others. Work with a good running store to nail down the right one.

Dave

Texas Aggie
Cool Runner
posted Sep-02-2006 11:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Texas Aggie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm in JR's boat: 6 foot and well over 200. I supinate and have an arch you could drive a truck under. I wear Brooks Glycerin and they've been the best I've had so far. I wore Mizuno Wave Rider before that and they didn't last long since they weren't made for anyone over about 170. Now, they are unwearable even as everyday sneaker wear.

jneussen
posted Sep-03-2006 08:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jneussen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a supinator too and I bought a pair Asics Nimbus shoes. They're really great because they're so cushy. I found that when I run on the road, I need to wear these shoes, but on a treadmill I need something a little stiffer, or my shins start to hurt.

I would Definately recommend trying the Nimbus. They're great.

jneussen
posted Sep-03-2006 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jneussen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I forgot to mention.....Don't buy shoes that have any type of arch support, because they could push your arches up even further and cause serious pain. I experienced this-Ouch. That's how I found out that I was a supinator and that's when I bought the Nimbus shoes.

Richard D Wiley
Cool Runner
posted Sep-05-2006 01:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Richard D Wiley   Click Here to Email Richard D Wiley     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have the issues at hand.
I have been very happy with NB 881 model.
So happy in fact that I have 5 pairs backed up and rotating 2 pair. After about a year or so the models seem to undergo update changes and you can't get the shoe you love anymore.
So I am pretty set methinks.
RDW

jeffj229
posted Sep-05-2006 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jeffj229     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for all your input. The Mizuno's just don't quite have enought support...especially on the ball of my foot as I can sometimes feel the road beneath that area of my foot..if that makes sense. I need something that's built for a beast!!
I'm going to go to a well known shoe store in ATL called Phidippides and see if I can have them fit me properly.

elwrush
posted Sep-10-2006 09:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elwrush   Click Here to Email elwrush     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks to everyone for the advice posted here. I've been wearing Asics Gel Kyano with arch supports inside them, which I now understand was the height of stupidity for someone with high arches who supinates. The tendons keep popping out of their tracks on my left thigh (fortunately I live in Thailand where are skilled masseurs who can put them back in straight away). Sounds like New Balance is the way to go.

dunklzahn
posted Sep-13-2006 04:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dunklzahn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey guys. I'm new to running. I have the same problem. I am 6ft 300 lbs. I am currently running in some New Balance Trails and they are killing me. My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my knees, hips, and lower back are all starting to kill me. Could this all be because im new to the sport or is it my shoe selection. Everything I have read says im a supinator and have high arches. I need something to help easy the pain. Is this something for a podiatrist or good shoe store? Thanks

Friendly Feet
posted Aug-15-2007 04:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Friendly Feet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay, I am a nuby. When I where jogging shoes my feet are on fire after 1/2 mile. I've tried basic Asics, Nikes, and Mizuno (none specifically for supination). The pain is in the fore foot and it burns. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

lkschiller
Cool Runner
posted Aug-15-2007 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lkschiller   Click Here to Email lkschiller     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Anyone out there who supinates with wide, flat feet? My husband has a terrible time finding running shoes with that combo--the last pair he liked was an Adidas Supernova Xwide 4E, which they don't make anymore. He is 6', 235 or so.

Lisa

cheyjoecat
Cool Runner
posted Aug-16-2007 11:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cheyjoecat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lkschiller:
Anyone out there who supinates with wide, flat feet? My husband has a terrible time finding running shoes with that combo--the last pair he liked was an Adidas Supernova Xwide 4E, which they don't make anymore. He is 6', 235 or so.

Lisa

Yeah, I have that problem and these are the only shoes that I've really liked. My foot isn't that wide, but I know at the outlet mall they have near me they have an Adidas store. I actually need to get another pair of Supernova's...they really stopped the shin splints and knee pain. I would check online though.

lkschiller
Cool Runner
posted Aug-16-2007 09:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lkschiller   Click Here to Email lkschiller     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cheyjoecat:
Yeah, I have that problem and these are the only shoes that I've really liked. My foot isn't that wide, but I know at the outlet mall they have near me they have an Adidas store. I actually need to get another pair of Supernova's...they really stopped the shin splints and knee pain. I would check online though.

So far I've looked at our Adidas outlet (Lake Ozark, MO), which actually carries the Xwide but only up to a 12 and he needs a 13, and I've called several other outlets with no luck. Online hasn't yielded anything either. That's just my luck--DH is SO picky and I finally find him something he likes and it's gone. It took me years to get him to try an Adidas, I've been wearing them forever. This was before I started really coming on these boards or I would have taken the advice to buy more than one pair! It's been a while, I should probably call our outlet, maybe they got more in.
Lisa

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: