Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: kevinm

The Fat Economy!

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Fat Economy!
kevinm
Administrator
posted Feb-05-2006 08:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kevinm     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It’s a new world order and I’ve got it all figured out.

Has America’s “addiction to foreign oil” got you all bummed out? Well, all the yammering intellectuals on NPR were in a major tizzy this week over Mr. Bush’s use of that phrase in his State of the Union speech. I was listening to a bunch of the professional pontificators hashing it over this morning as I drove to my long run start.

This is an extract of a recent article written by Chris Russell.

The rest of the article can be seen at:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/the-fat-economy.shtml

If you have any opinion about the article we invite you to post it here.

IP: Logged

Riotgirlie00
posted Feb-06-2006 01:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Riotgirlie00     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That article was so entertaining, it had me laughing out loud! I can't wait to check out his book.

CurlyTop
posted Feb-06-2006 10:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CurlyTop   Click Here to Email CurlyTop     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great article! Now, if we could only make it real!

------------------
"Women who behave rarely make history."

http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=CurlyTop

wildchild
Cool Runner
posted Feb-07-2006 01:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wildchild     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Interesting article! I'm an engineer, and I can see how you could hook up an exercise bike to provide power, but I'm not sure how to harness running energy. Your feet would have to move the treadmill belt around - maybe velcro on the belt and your shoes?

And where does all the fat go when people lose weight? I know our bodies use it up for energy and produce heat and other byproducts, but it still seems like it's gone to the twilight zone where lost socks and undeliverable emails end up.

runhikelots
Cool Runner
posted Mar-01-2006 02:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runhikelots   Click Here to Email runhikelots     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevinm:
It’s a new world order and I’ve got it all figured out.

Has America’s “addiction to foreign oil” got you all bummed out? Well, all the yammering intellectuals on NPR were in a major tizzy this week over Mr. Bush’s use of that phrase in his State of the Union speech. I was listening to a bunch of the professional pontificators hashing it over this morning as I drove to my long run start.

Speaking of "America's Addiction to foreign oil", why do some runners drive to run? I can understand driving to a race, but just to train? It must be just me. I try to be as "environmentally conscious" as I can be by recycling and saving gas and not driving as much as possible. When recently I was asked to come and join a running group that meets at various metro parks in the area I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Drive to go run? No way. At $2.35 a gallon? I'll save it and bike to these runs if I can find a safe way to get there.

------------------
Wes
Run 'til U Drop & I have

dianarunner
Cool Runner
posted Apr-23-2006 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dianarunner   Click Here to Email dianarunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by runhikelots:
Speaking of "America's Addiction to foreign oil", why do some runners drive to run? I can understand driving to a race, but just to train? It must be just me. I try to be as "environmentally conscious" as I can be by recycling and saving gas and not driving as much as possible. When recently I was asked to come and join a running group that meets at various metro parks in the area I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Drive to go run? No way. At $2.35 a gallon? I'll save it and bike to these runs if I can find a safe way to get there.

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more.

HSunshine
Cool Runner
posted Jul-31-2006 04:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HSunshine   Click Here to Email HSunshine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

I can think of 2 reasons why I drive to run about twice a week: if you run in a group some people are going to have to drive to the start, and if you want to run on trail you may need to drive to find appropriate areas. Just some thoughts

kellohaha
Cool Runner
posted Jul-31-2006 06:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kellohaha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

I drive to my trail runs because if I run on the roads to get there I will get slaughtered! there are no shoulders or side walks and the drivers around here will run even bikers off the road. plus baby joggers are not road friendly.. I may place my own life on the line by running to the trails but not a babys

------------------
'mostly organic, completely natural, totally good!'

Ted Connolly
Cool Runner
posted Aug-01-2006 07:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ted Connolly   Click Here to Email Ted Connolly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This was a wonderful article. Actually, I thought I was reading for a part on SNL. I really laughed hard. Although I am in decent shape for 58, I can picture a much different life if I had to power ( threw running) my current lifestyle. I would obviously grow a beard, buy candles, throw out the microwave, get rid of the A/C etc.

My new life would feel much like it was back in Brooklyn in the early 50's. Open windows, sleeping on the fire escape but possibly running a radio just for the morning news. LOL.

If the rest of the neighborhood would do the same thing, it just may make things simpler and less confusing. Seemed to work then.

RacerRick69
Cool Runner
posted Oct-05-2006 11:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RacerRick69   Click Here to Email RacerRick69     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Some people run 50 miles to a 5k race!!!

------------------
A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: