Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: kevinm, dallison

Who can’t run 22 seconds for 100 meters?

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Who can’t run 22 seconds for 100 meters?
kevinm
Administrator
posted Jun-22-2005 06:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kevinm     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Who can't run 22 seconds for 100 meters? A better question might be who can? Sure, it's only a short trip down the straightaway of a standard track, but if you extrapolate the pace over a mile, it comes out to better than six minutes, 5:52 to be exact. One who can zip down the track at that clip is 95-year-old Kozo Haraguchi from Japan.

This is further evidence that the limitations of aging and fitness are slowly but surely being pushed back with the passing of time. As well know of course, time always wins in the end, but there is something reassuring in the knowledge there is someone born in 1910 still competing, giving the rest of us hope, and something to aim for.

Does Kozo's 100-meter time show increased potential for older athletes? Or is it an aberration? Was his time as impressive as Asafa Powell's open world record of 9.77, also recently set? Share your thoughts with us.

[This message has been edited by kevinm (edited Jun-23-2005).]

IP: Logged

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 12:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It has been proven in studies that exercise reduces the effects of aging.

Edit: And if I remember correctly, I think I read that strength and speed training help reduce the effects even more. Thus, it seems possible that for a 95 year old, a 22 second 100 meter dash could be beaten, provided the 95 year old continues some sorts of strength and speed work while he ages.

[This message has been edited by Dancinghomer (edited Jun-24-2005).]

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 05:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Why do we need a new forum just for current events? Isn't that cannibalizing the other forums? Current events can be discussed in any forum, which is what we're doing already.

It states in the forum description that "Only mods. can post, anyone can reply." Why is that? And how is this any different than moderators starting a topic in any of the other forums?

Thanks.

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 07:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon2:
It states in the forum description that "Only mods. can post, anyone can reply." Why is that? And how is this any different than moderators starting a topic in any of the other forums?

Yea, this is the one that irks me. I love these kinds of discussions, and I have a great idea for one; but I can't post it...other than in this thread, which destroys the discussion in this thread.

Jim Sullivan
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 09:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Sullivan   Click Here to Email Jim Sullivan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
It states in the forum description that "Only mods. can post, anyone can reply." Why is that?
I don't know, but I like it.

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 09:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
I don't know, but I like it.

*grumbles*

Fine then, here's the topic I was going to post.

Dathan Ritzenhein out of USATF Nationals 10k

Dathan Ritzenhein injured his foot (irritated a nerve) kicking around a soccer ball with his friends shortly before USATF Nationals and has withdrawn from the meet. He is no longer able to qualify to World Championships.

USATF and IAAF rules conflict on the matter (at least that's my understanding). USATF requires that you run the A-Standard and finish the race at the National meet (if there are 3 or fewer athletes with the A-Standard) whereas the IAAF allows 3 athletes from each country to run in the event provided they have met the A-Standard.

In the case of the US in the 10000m, 3 athletes have the A-Standard; should Ritz be able to go to the World Championships despite not racing in the USATF Nationals?

Doctor Wu
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 09:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Doctor Wu   Click Here to Email Doctor Wu     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So this forum is like the Competitive Wire For Morons, right?

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 09:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dancinghomer:
*grumbles*

Will a mod post this please?

fredurie
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 11:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for fredurie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I peaked at 400 at age 44.

A university sprinter here told me that he trains at 95% intensity.

Probably if you eliminate the aerobic stimulus, and focus on pure speed
you could hold the 100 speed for a long time.

The problem is that your body breaks down a lot faster after 50.

The time isn't an aberration. Staying healthy is the hard part.

fredurie
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 11:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for fredurie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"44-year-old Willie Gault's incredible day: a wind-aided 10.60 for 100, a legal 21.80 for 200 (an American M40 record)."

http://www.masterstrack.com/blog/

[This message has been edited by fredurie (edited Jun-24-2005).]

catrinka
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for catrinka   Click Here to Email catrinka     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
uh, why can't i post in this forum?

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 12:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catrinka:
uh, why can't i post in this forum?

Because you're not as cool as the modulators.

catrinka
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for catrinka   Click Here to Email catrinka     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Because you're not as cool as the modulators.

you are correct... i am hot! so hot, i deserve to be able to start a thread!

don't hate and discriminate!

Dancinghomer
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dancinghomer   Click Here to Email Dancinghomer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by catrinka:
you are correct... i am hot! so hot, i deserve to be able to start a thread!

don't hate and discriminate!

I agree. I saw that picture from the Dallas meet.

I should be able to start a thread too. My topic was a good one...read it for yourself up there.

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Why can't you post this in Competitive Wire?

catrinka
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for catrinka   Click Here to Email catrinka     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

I should be able to start a thread too. My topic was a good one...read it for yourself up there.

aw, thanks *blush*

i say we protest! hot/cool peeps unite!

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Even one of the moderators thinks that a new forum isn't necessary ...
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
I don't see why this is necessary. ...

JimR
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JimR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
One has to wonder if putting this right below the clubhouse is a good idea.

I have no clue how fast I can run 100 meters. I know I finally managed to beat local Bob Glazier in a race this week....I ran 5 miles in a rocket-like 33:24 and he did an embarrassing-slow 33:27. He's 67 so I think it's time for him to retire from the sport.

Cleofus
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cleofus     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My scrotum hurts.

Cleofus
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cleofus     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

She's looking for a roomie. $700.00 and possibly a deposit, and she's all yours!

catrinka
Cool Runner
posted Jun-24-2005 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for catrinka   Click Here to Email catrinka     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleofus:
She's looking for a roomie. $700.00 and possibly a deposit, and she's all yours!

FU, scrotum-aching butthole!

Desert Tortoise
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2005 01:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Desert Tortoise   Click Here to Email Desert Tortoise     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And the Club House has taken over! Great work guys (and gals)!!!

This forum is dum. Big time dum. Because modubobbers are dummees. Big time dummees.

[This message has been edited by Desert Tortoise (edited Jun-25-2005).]

Sue in NYC
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2005 08:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sue in NYC   Click Here to Email Sue in NYC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Thanks.

Hey, their server space, their playground.

You don't like it pick up your ball and bat and go home.

Aruba 1st
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2005 09:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aruba 1st   Click Here to Email Aruba 1st     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Since I'm a Rocker, not a Mod I'm probably forbidden from posting here.
Plus, since my "point of view" regarding the age Vs speed Topic (Point of View is a forum specifically used to capture your opinion on specific topics concerning current events in running.) regards achieving short distance speed as being more important than one's distance running speed (with respect to your longevity/survival - and the survival of others) no matter your age - which is an age-old-concept, rather than a "current event" - my slant on the Topic would (more-than-likely) have been banned.

leon2
Cool Runner
posted Jun-25-2005 09:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for leon2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sue in NYC:
Hey, their server space, their playground.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert Tortoise:
This forum is dum. Big time dum. Because modubobbers are dummees. Big time dummees.

[This message has been edited by leon2 (edited Jun-25-2005).]

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: