Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: kevinm

Weak Ankles & Trail Shoes

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Weak Ankles & Trail Shoes
lisa 76
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 11:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lisa 76   Click Here to Email lisa 76     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have recently started trail running and LOVE it except for one thing - I keep turning my ankles! I haven't hurt myself seriously yet, but it's something I tend to do a lot. I usually turn each ankle once or twice per 6 mile trail run.

I am used to running on roads and have been running in Asics 2120s and Kayanos. I probably have weak ankles due to the fact that I overpronate.

I have been wanting to invest in a pair of trail shoes, but the running shoe store I go to advised me to first try a pair of New Balance ankle support socks, which I tried out yesterday on my run. I have been running trails in the 2120s, but yesterday I ran in my Asics Kayanos, which seemed to help because the heel seems to sit a little lower to the ground. I didn't turn my ankle once in the support socks / Kayanos combination!

However, I'm still interested in buying a pair of trail shoes because of the rugged sole.

Anyone have any shoe suggestions or ankle strengthening tips for an over-pronating, weak ankled runner?

Happy Trails!
Lisa

IP: Logged

mmoonhead
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 01:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mmoonhead   Click Here to Email mmoonhead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Weak ankles aren't really due to pronation or supination from what I know (I'd turn my ankles all the time before I took up running seriously, and I was a supinator to neutral strider.)

Basically, you need to start doing some ankle strengthening exercises. Toe curls or towel scrunches are a good start; later on, you might want to think maybe sessions on a wobble board or cushioned balance disc. Yoga classes have helped my ankle strength immensely, and even easy, short sessions of barefoot walking would help. Good luck to you!

lorrieg
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 01:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lorrieg   Click Here to Email lorrieg     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lisa,

I have been having trouble with some pain in my left ankle recently, which I have figured out was from a combination of an ankle injury earlier in the year, along with starting to trail run in shoes that weren't correct for me (I ended up in some stability shoes, when I really needed neutral/cushioning shoes). I read an article in Trail Runner magazine that I thought was very good. It gives some stretch and strength exercises to help with weak ankles. I've been doing them for a little over a week now, and can already tell that things are getting better. By the way, the "balance test" that the article refers too is also a good exercise. Try to work up to a minute on one leg with your eyes closed without touching the ground with your other foot.

Lorrie

CinCityRunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 02:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CinCityRunner   Click Here to Email CinCityRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A good neutral trail shoe that is LOW to the ground Will help. Ankle exercises will also help quite a bit as well.

I have been running trails for quite a while now, and I still have issues on technical trails in my cushioned road shoes.

woodrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-27-2007 09:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for woodrunner   Click Here to Email woodrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm not a running expert but when I had an injury last winter the PT showed me how to do some ankle strengthing excercises with stretch bands. I got into a routine of doing them every evening, sort of relaxing. I also got one of those big blue BOSU inflatable things to do one leg balance exercises on; nice excercise in the winter when it's crappy out. I used to use Asics gel Kayanos for years but switched this spring to Mizuno Alchemies - they feel as nice as the Kayanos but with a little more support to reduce overpronating; I could tell the difference immediately. I've had good luck trail running with Salomon XA Pro 3D trail shoes.
Tom

barna65
posted Aug-02-2007 04:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for barna65     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd second what has been said before. Balance exercises and the like seem to help. I would add, however, two things.

1) Trail running. I used to twist my ankle frequently when I started trail running. I do it rarely now. I suspect this is a combination of stronger muscles, better balance and better awareness.

2) Paying attention to where you are going. As soon as my head and feet start pointing in different directions (hey would you look at that) that's when I tend to twist things.

Additionally, trail shoes tend to have less support to allow the foot to roll inward to avoid turned ankles. However as a serious pronater I can't wearmost of them. Adidas Supernova Trail work for me, but you might find that a less structured shoe is actually better.

Enjoy the trails!

dinkwod
posted Aug-02-2007 05:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dinkwod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
First and foremost time on the trail will strengthen those stabilizer muscles that keep you upright but to speed up the process you can get a wobble board. Here is a really good price on this one that normally sells for 40 or 50 bucks at target. http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-GF-RWBB-Ultimate-Wobble-Board/dp/B000G0ON2U

I got one for Christmas last year and it helped a lot.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: