Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

OHR (One Hour Runner) Oct 22-28

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   OHR (One Hour Runner) Oct 22-28
harrnjos
Cool Runner
posted Oct-22-2007 07:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for harrnjos     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on?
2. How do you feel?
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?
Here is the link to the One Hour Runner training program (Be sure to scroll down until you see "Becoming a One Hour Runner"): http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run

Here is a link to the One Hour Runner on Facebook:
http://utah.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4793624323

IP: Logged

harrnjos
Cool Runner
posted Oct-22-2007 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for harrnjos     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W4D3
2. How do you feel? Happy to be off the 30 minute runs.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I had to add extra distance to my usual route today.

shamy52
Cool Runner
posted Oct-22-2007 10:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for shamy52   Click Here to Email shamy52     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W9D1
2. How do you feel? Glum! My first 5K was awful. I think I'm the only person with a *bad* first race. I don't know if I'll ever do another one, but right now I sure don't want to. It was the most difficult, discouraging experience - the complete opposite of everyone else's, so it would seem. that magical 'race day adrenaline' never showed up for me. I'm focusing on how much money I raised for the Susan Komen foundation - $400 - *that* is an achievement.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? I'm going to repeat week 9 - see below
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? My race Saturday was on my 54 minute run day, and it didn't take quite that long. So I'll redo week 9.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I guess that I'm able to run 2.75 miles or so, I am proud of that, even if it did take six months to get here!

chamblin
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 04:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chamblin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shamy52:
2. How do you feel? Glum! My first 5K was awful. I think I'm the only person with a *bad* first race. I don't know if I'll ever do another one, but right now I sure don't want to. It was the most difficult, discouraging experience - the complete opposite of everyone else's, so it would seem. that magical 'race day adrenaline' never showed up for me. I'm focusing on how much money I raised for the Susan Komen foundation - $400 - *that* is an achievement.
[/B]

Hey Shamy - Sorry to hear about your race... what made it so bad? Completing your first race is an achievement in itself, and now you have a PR and have raised money for a good cause so don't be too down on yourself.

Maybe give it some time and have another go once you are comfortable at 3 miles + I have to admit you are braver than me as I made damn sure I comfortably run the distance before going into a race, but then again i'm a complete wuss who had a panic on the starting line thinking I was going to be last, way behind everyone else and then would get lost in the woods somewhere... I even took the course map with me just incase

Iseulte
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 06:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iseulte     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W2D1
2. How do you feel? My calf feels tight and I think I torqued my knee. I have a cold right now so maybe my form is off. We'll play it by ear.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Nope
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Nope.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? no.

genghisjohn
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 10:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for genghisjohn   Click Here to Email genghisjohn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? Week 6 Day 1
2. How do you feel? I feel pretty good. On days when i'm not running or lifting weights I'm bouncing off the walls with energy.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Nope, keeping strictly to the program, trying to avoid injury.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I signed up for a calorie tracking site, and since I've kept track of what im eating weight is falling right off me

jennicap05
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jennicap05   Click Here to Email jennicap05     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W4D1
2. How do you feel? GREAT!
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Yes I repeated W3 last week b/c I only did 2 days the week before, and this week I have a race on Saturday so I'm holding off on starting intevals until next week.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I've been running 5k for the last month... shortest time was 29 mins flat and my longest was 36:28.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Yes my legs are getting a little more defined when I flex and I can actually run a 5K!

------------------
-Jen
My Profile

shamy52
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 01:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for shamy52   Click Here to Email shamy52     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chamblin:
Hey Shamy - Sorry to hear about your race... what made it so bad? Completing your first race is an achievement in itself, and now you have a PR and have raised money for a good cause so don't be too down on yourself.

Maybe give it some time and have another go once you are comfortable at 3 miles + I have to admit you are braver than me as I made damn sure I comfortably run the distance before going into a race, but then again i'm a complete wuss who had a panic on the starting line thinking I was going to be last, way behind everyone else and then would get lost in the woods somewhere... I even took the course map with me just incase

Thanks for the complainment, Chamblin!

I guess I was just disapointed with my performance in the race because I believed everyone who told me, if I could run 2.75 miles and run/walk 3.1 miles, I'd be able to run 3.1 miles on race day for sure. I mean, that's like running canon, they you can magically go futher than ever before on race day. I'm sure that's the truth for a lot of people, but it wasn't for me.

I know it's a negative attitude, when people started walking past me while I was 'running', it was just really discouraging. They weren't speed walking, either, just walking quickly. Faster than my 'run'. My only goal in the race was to run the whole thing, and I feel like I failed.

I know running 2.75 miles or so is a big deal, and more than 99% of the people in the world can do, so I'm trying to focus on that.

fbgrrl
Cool Runner
posted Oct-23-2007 04:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fbgrrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W3D1
2. How do you feel? Better
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Will probably drop back and start OHR over since I'm coming back from an injury
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? NA
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Between running, biking, and weight watchers, I'm 8 pounds lighter. My walking pace is much faster and my run/walk pace is faster than when I started.

ok, good news, I actually ran today! Not much and it was a run/walk combo, but I ran for a bit. I just iced my achilles and I'm feeling pretty good. I hiked 2 miles this weekend and it was stiff, but felt fine the next day, so I decided to get onto a local gravel trail and do some running. I walked anything going uphill to reduce the stress on the tendon and ran the flats and downhills. Right now, I'm keeping my heartrate really low, the MAF level for me. After 2 1 mile laps, I thought I might do another, but then I repeated my new mantra "too much, too soon = injuries" and I quit after 2 miles. Another week of easing back into running and I should be back on track.

gknee59
posted Oct-23-2007 10:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gknee59     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W1D2
2. How do you feel? Wheezy (asthma was bugging me!)
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? no. I did C25K in 10weeks. only sick one week. 1 good fall on week 8 but I lived.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I am doing the 30 minute runs probably do about an 11 minute mile or so. I don't add more time for a couple of weeks per OHR
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? finishing c25K was a big boost for me. I have run in the past (very slow) and never trained right. 3 days a week is PERFECT for me. I walk at least 30 minutes per day on the days that I dont' run and I feel fantastic. No soreness.
I am prone to some back problems but (knock on wood-- and thanks to faithful visits to my chiropractor for maintainence) doing fine so far.

harrnjos
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2007 01:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for harrnjos     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W5D1
2. How do you feel? good
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? No.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? No.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? When I first started running, people were surprised. They didn't think I was a runner. Now when I talk about running, people ask if I am training for a half marathon or marathon. I'm not training for anything, but apparently, other's perception of me has changed.

harrnjos
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2007 02:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for harrnjos     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
shamy52- Sorry to hear that your first race didn't go so well.

If it's any consolation, one of my new running friends explained that a 5K race is actually a very very hard race to train for. It's takes an extreme level of fitness to truly prepare for one. People will literally sprint, or run at maximum speed for the entire 3.1 miles of the race. I can barely run 3 miles at my usual speed, let alone sprint that distance. She said that beginner's are usually better of starting with a few 10k's and perhaps a half marathon or two. There fast speed isn't so important, but the distances are still possible to train for, over a period of time.

danceandrun
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2007 02:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for danceandrun   Click Here to Email danceandrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. What Week/Day are you on? Did W6D1 yesterday
2. How do you feel? a little sore. I ran fasterthan usual yesterday.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Nope
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Nope
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Not this week.

BrandonE
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2007 07:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BrandonE     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on?
W10D2 today. I'm a one hour runner on Friday!
2. How do you feel?
Great! Excited! Strong.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day?
No.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs?
I added a few minutes to Monday on the last two weeks. I added one minute to today to come to a good stopping place.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet?
I'm just very proud of getting to an hour (Friday, but I feel it's a given at this point).

Treasa
Cool Runner
posted Oct-25-2007 08:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Treasa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm sort of late jumping into this!

1. What Week/Day are you on? W6D2 tonight
2. How do you feel? Knees and hamstrings are a bit twingy, but stretching seems to help.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Not yet.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? I added one minute to W5D3.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Again, just the twinginess. LOL Oh, and my training runs are getting faster.

I finished Couch to 5K about a year ago, and I've just been running 5Ks since then. I think I've done nine this year. Although my mileage didn't increase, my speed did, and I went from a 14-minute mile to a nine(ish)-minute mile.

So now I'm working on increasing my endurance so I can either eventually run a 10K, or run a 5K even faster.

[This message has been edited by Treasa (edited Oct-25-2007).]

danceandrun
Cool Runner
posted Oct-28-2007 07:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for danceandrun   Click Here to Email danceandrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? Finished W6D3 today
2. How do you feel? Really good
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? nope
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? no
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I had my children with me today (they were on their bikes) and I could chat with them pretty easily while I ran. Having them there to talk with made me realize how much easier my breathing has gotten. It was fun.

theredpen
Cool Runner
posted Oct-28-2007 07:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for theredpen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W10D3 --- Graduation Day!!!
2. How do you feel? Awesome.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? I've repeated two or three runs throughout OHR -- not this week.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Not this week.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? Uh, that I can run for an hour!!!

It wasn't "easy," but it wasn't excruicating. I did about 5.2 miles ... perhaps one day speed will come, but the 11m/m range is where I'm comfortable for the longer distances.

Now the quandary ... where do I go from here?

fbgrrl
Cool Runner
posted Oct-29-2007 11:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for fbgrrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theredpen:
1. What Week/Day are you on? W10D3 --- Graduation Day!!!

Now the quandary ... where do I go from here?

CONGRATULATIONS theredpen! Woo Hoo!

fbgrrl
Cool Runner
posted Oct-29-2007 11:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for fbgrrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1. What Week/Day are you on? W1D1
2. How do you feel? My slow pace running is easier and faster than when I started C25k. Achilles tendon is healing and my running isn't making it any worse.
3. Have you had to repeat a week or day? Yep, I started back at the beginning after taking 2 weeks off.
4. Did you add time or remove time from one of your runs? Not yet.
5. Do you notice something different about yourself yet? I'm almost 9 pounds lighter, I've learned to run at a lower heartrate but my pace is faster, I'm taking it easy since I don't want to get re-injured.

I'm trail running and walking up anything that slopes upwards since my achilles doesn't appreciate me running up inclines, yet. I'm keeping my heartrate in my 'talking and singing' range eve when power walking. Even though there is some walking involved, I'm calling it running for the purposes of OHR. I'm hoping to do some trail races in 2008, so I figure it's good training to be able to switch between running and power walking.

Good to hear so many of you are doing so well on the OHR! It's good to be back running again.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: