Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

Men, men in tights, TIGHT, tights

Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Men, men in tights, TIGHT, tights
jahona
posted Oct-17-2007 05:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jahona   Click Here to Email jahona     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So I've been running for a couple years now but have always wondered this question. Guys, when it gets cold,how many of you just wear tights and nothing over them? I'm also a competitve cyclist, have been for many years, so it doesn't bother me, but I've wondered if it bothers the general public who sees me out running. It seems to be fine with women but not as ok with men? A casual runner and college friend of mine wore the loose tights or running pants but the men's XC team always just did tights, so does it depend on running ability somewhat?

IP: Logged

Ileneforward
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 05:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ileneforward     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Speaking as a female, it doesn't bother me to see guys in just tights. Probably should avoid lighter colors though.

spkoest
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 05:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for spkoest     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I dont think anyone thinks much of it...If it is truly cold enough to wear them. I think the first thing a person thinks when they see a runner in tights, running in the cold is: That guy is crazy or he/she has to be cold.

If it is not cold enough then they question what you are showing off.

Over 40 degrees I leave the tights at home.

jahona
posted Oct-17-2007 05:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jahona   Click Here to Email jahona     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yes, the only tights I was talking about, or will ever talk about, are black. Just like bike shorts, tights should only be in black.

Nice to see that a few so far say tights are fine. I really didn't wanna go spend $$....

BaDC3D
posted Oct-17-2007 05:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BaDC3D     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear tights during my early, early morning run before work. After work during my afternoon run I wear running pants. I am a very modest person. I just feel weird with everything on display so to speak.

[This message has been edited by BaDC3D (edited Oct-17-2007).]

protoplasm72
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 06:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for protoplasm72     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Comfort is the only thing I care about. I wear shorts till about 35 degrees. I wear loose running pants till 15 degrees cause even thin tights can get to warm. I have thick tights for below 15 degrees. Below 0 I put pants over the tights depending on the wind and if it's snowing.

------------------
Me

figbash
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 07:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for figbash   Click Here to Email figbash     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ileneforward:
Probably should avoid lighter colors though.

You mean like flesh tone?

Tom

------------------
My Profile
My Running Log

milkbaby
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 08:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for milkbaby   Click Here to Email milkbaby     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I found the pic below at www.runningfunky.com

The caption says this guy ran 400 miles non-stop! I guess I would too just so nobody would catch sight of me wearing these tights...

joescoolagain
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 08:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joescoolagain   Click Here to Email joescoolagain     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Running tights here too....

Iontach
Cool Runner
posted Oct-17-2007 08:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iontach     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by figbash:
You mean like flesh tone?

Whose flesh would that be?

TechTee
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 07:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TechTee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tights, yes.

But, also a pair of shorts over them.

I'm modest.

mrinertia
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 08:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mrinertia   Click Here to Email mrinertia     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
At 4:30 in the morning in single digit temps, I'm not too fussed about fashion.

igotshoe
posted Oct-18-2007 08:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for igotshoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
same with my experience, guys are a no no (including myself) and girls think its ok. i always toss on running shorts over my tights.

------------------
My Log

JelloBelly
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 09:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JelloBelly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I second this, however...in high school at a big xc ski meet, there was one team which had WHITE ski suits. We got an eyeful that day.

Jello

quote:
Originally posted by Ileneforward:
Speaking as a female, it doesn't bother me to see guys in just tights. Probably should avoid lighter colors though.

ToddDubya
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 09:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ToddDubya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear shorts until it's below freezing, then switch over to tights. I don't like windpants because they let more cold air hit my legs than tights do. The only time I'll wear shorts over tights is when it's so cold (and windy) that wind briefs don't cut it and I need the extra protection for the boys. Other than that, just tights.

Oh yeah, and just black. Although I don't see what everyone's problem is with those Running Funky tights. I think they could be fun in a race if you want a little extra visibility. Maybe it takes a more secure man to wear those, but if I had 'em, I'd wear 'em.

------------------
-Todd
Check Me Out
There's plenty of time for rest when you're dead.

sarytyr
posted Oct-18-2007 10:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sarytyr     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Female here - I like the funky tights on the guy - better than black but black is OK too!

joescoolagain
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 11:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for joescoolagain   Click Here to Email joescoolagain     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
No shorts over, doesn't get that cold here in S TX.

Peg312
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 11:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Peg312   Click Here to Email Peg312     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Got to love a man in tights!!!!

joescoolagain
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 11:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for joescoolagain   Click Here to Email joescoolagain     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We are getting a "cold" front this weekend! LOL

haley
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 11:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for haley     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think all the men should post pics and we'll let you know our thoughts! Whaddaya think?

luv2talk
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for luv2talk     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Maybe this is the "defining" difference we've all been searching for between "runners & joggers"! Only a "real runner" would wear tights like that, eh? LOL!

(Searching for some tights right now...cuz I want to be a "runner"!)

Luv2talk

Peg312
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Peg312   Click Here to Email Peg312     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
PICS

joescoolagain
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2007 01:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for joescoolagain   Click Here to Email joescoolagain     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There's an idea! The runner vs jogger, not the pix! LOL

pugsly13
posted Oct-21-2007 04:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pugsly13     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The key to tights for men is concealment... its just bad taste to be flaunting your package.

What male dancers use to conceal their "outlines" in tights is a dancebelt. Its essentially a thong with a padded front that conceals your naughty bits and low profile elastic that conceals strap lines. It works on any colors... even the crazy David Lee Roth red & black striped pants the guy above is wearing.

Catagory5
posted Oct-21-2007 06:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Catagory5   Click Here to Email Catagory5     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
lol at this thread, especially...

quote:
Originally posted by pugsly13:
...conceals your naughty bits...

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: