Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

Running in the dark

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running in the dark
RunDanoRun
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2007 05:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunDanoRun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't pull his lazy butt out of bed early enough to run before work. So, I have been running at night, mostly after it gets dark.

I prefer running outside as opposed to the treadmill so I've been running outside after dark.

Am I crazy or do others do the same thing? I found that if I run on the white line I can see any potholes or debris that would cause a problem. When a car is coming I just move to the shoulder and I can see fine due via their headlights.

For other runner of the night, does anyone actually bring a flashlight or wear one of those headlamp things? Any other ideas on ways to make it safer?

IP: Logged

figbash
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2007 01:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for figbash   Click Here to Email figbash     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A headlamp and a reflective vest is my equipment of choice for running in the dark. I prefer to do mine in the early morning though. If I fall or twist an ankle in the morning I don't need to worry about being stranded in the dark, especially with the winter months approaching.

Tom

------------------
My Profile
My Running Log

Tripacer
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2007 06:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tripacer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
NO, you are not crazy. Even though everyone around you may think so. I run at 5 am when I am at work. My work hours are 12 hour nights. It is very dark at that time these days. Work provides a gym with treadmills. However, I hate the Dreadmil. I may have to use it when winter gets here, though. I use a headlamp. I would advise atleast that to be safe. Cars need to see you too.

Tamara40
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2007 07:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tamara40     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I agree with the other two regarding the lamp and the vest, and no I don't think you are crazy at all b/c due to time changes and the fall approaching, I'll be running in the dark as well. I do wear a headlamp and reflective vest, just b/c you can see the car doesn't mean it can see you. Have fun!

novaks
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2007 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for novaks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's dark when I run in the morning, I wear a headlamp to prevent injury. I affectionately call it my dork light and turn it off if I see a neighbors garage door opening as I pass by.

yamahamamma
Cool Runner
posted Sep-15-2007 11:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for yamahamamma     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just started running in the dark (morning) and I was more worried about some creep grabbing me than pot holes. That is until I nearly went down over an uneven part of the sidewalk. I plan on getting a headlamp because I would rather look like a dork and not blow my training from twisting my ankle.

chuck43
Cool Runner
posted Sep-16-2007 12:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chuck43   Click Here to Email chuck43     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I work till 11 pm and I run when I get off work. I wear a head lamp. love it.

------------------
Chuck

schmurray
Cool Runner
posted Sep-16-2007 08:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for schmurray     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i wear reflective vest, also a clip-on flashing light that i clip to the back of the vest or hat - and carry a brookstone teeny-weeny-mini lights (deceivingly bright!) so if i can't see the footing on a dark street or use it to flash towards an oncoming too-close car. also wrap the reflective ankle straps on. at fleet-feet i just bought some reflective strips you can put anywhere. i'm like robert redford in the electric horseman!

schmurray

Dutchie42
Cool Runner
posted Sep-16-2007 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchie42   Click Here to Email Dutchie42     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I run at 5AM, before work. It's very dark then. I run with my two dogs who wear reflective vests (looks really silly but they are better visible). For myself, I use removable bike lights (white in front, red tail light), that I clip to my buddy leash belt (for my dogs). I usually encounter 3-4 cars, and as far as I can tell, they seem to expect me to be out there. They drive pretty slowly when passing me and my dogs.

joescoolagain
Cool Runner
posted Sep-16-2007 10:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for joescoolagain   Click Here to Email joescoolagain     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I tried running before work, at 5:00am. It was tough, don't think I could do it on a consistent basis.

danterner
Cool Runner
posted Sep-17-2007 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for danterner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear so much reflective/flashing stuff it is truly embarrassing. Once, I heard a neighbor yell "ooh... a UFO!" as I ran in front of his house. :-)

I wear:

* Two yellow reflective ankle-bands
* A red strobing LED on my left arm, that attaches to my cellphone armband (which has reflective piping)
* A red/yellow reflective armband on my right arm
* A reflective Y-shaped amphipod vest
* A headlamp
* Reflective firefly shoelaces
* A RoadID shoelace address tag that has a reflective stripe
* Plus, my clothing and running shoes have reflective bits

I'd heartily recommend the amphipod vest, headlamp, shoelaces, and RoadID.

I know it is overkill, but I do feel safer. The headlamp alone has saved my ankles too many times to count. The other day I tried turning it off while running, just to remember what it was like before I had it. I couldn't believe how dark it was, without it!

I run in the morning, well before sunrise (generally at about 5 AM). It is just as dark as it would be running at night, but there are fewer cars on the road and I have rationalized that thugs and ruffians probably aren't early risers so I'm less likely to have an encounter during the morning than at night (or so I rationalize).

------------------
Then and Now: My Profile
Runnin' Down a Dream: My Running Blog

conniewf
Cool Runner
posted Sep-17-2007 07:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for conniewf   Click Here to Email conniewf     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd heartily recommend the amphipod vest, headlamp, shoelaces, and RoadID.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information!! I just started running at dusk and as it's getting darker earlier I ended my run tonight after dark. I thought I was going to have to do some online research and find vests etc on line but you've saved me much time end effort. I'm ordering a vest tonight.

Thank you again!

------------------
My Profile

RunDanoRun
Cool Runner
posted Sep-17-2007 08:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunDanoRun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wow! Thanks for all the great information.
I think I'm going to order a headlamp tonight. Maybe even a pair of those shoelaces as well.

novaks - LOL. I think I'll do the same. ;-)

danterner - Thanks for the links.

LarrysWoman
posted Sep-18-2007 12:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LarrysWoman   Click Here to Email LarrysWoman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would love to run in the dark, but I can't convince the Y to turn the lights out!! I buggered up my knee, so I am on the treadmill till its better.

Seriously, when I start running on pavement again, it will be at dark-thirty. Either early early AM or late evening. I think its the best time to run. The air smells cleaner. Corny, I know, but true. I will be wearing a reflective vest that I will be "borrowing" from work. (at a minimum)

Please wear reflective gear. I have seen so many unmarked runners that I have considered carrying a roll of reflective tape in my rig, to have them slap on a strip, so at least something is visible.

Sharon

kimber45
Cool Runner
posted Sep-18-2007 06:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kimber45     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
danterner, I'm almost as lit up as you I live about 50 miles north of you. Between the 2 of us, we can probably light up south Florida!

mbfleth
Cool Runner
posted Sep-18-2007 12:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mbfleth   Click Here to Email mbfleth     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I run in the dark as well, about 80% my runs are pre-sunrise or post sunset. I use a reflective vest and cut over to the shoulder as far as possible to avoid traffic. I also create "darkness" routes that limit the amount of time spent running in areas without sidewalks or wide shoulders. I have done this to the point of running loops through subdivisions that are lighted and sidewalked.
I have not gone as far as the dorklight headgear but have worn a read flashing light.
My two biggest fears in the dark are streetsigns that I may not see when cutting over to the shoulders and roadkill/debris that I may step on or tumble over.

cocarrie
Cool Runner
posted Sep-18-2007 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cocarrie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have one of these things . It was cheap and it's easy to deal with if I need to shed a layer, as I sometimes do in the winter. Plus, if I start in the dark and am still running when it's light and want to reduce the 'dork' effect, I can easily take it off and shove it in a pocket.

I also have a Petzl TIkka Plus headlamp which makes me feel like a miner out there but it beats falling flat on my face and banging myself up like I did last winter before I got it. Now, I can see where I'm headed and it's light and I don't really care what I look like out there. It beats getting hurt.

Take ID with you whenever you run. I love the little RoadID thing for my shoes. (I even got one for my 78 yr old mother who likes to take walks. Probably not a bad idea for kids too.) Be careful out there everyone!
Carrie

------------------
ME

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: