Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

Mapping Runs and Determining Distance?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Mapping Runs and Determining Distance?
pdstein
posted Sep-03-2007 10:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pdstein     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Prior to Saturday I’d been using Google Maps to chart out my routes and figure their distances. The cool thing about Google Maps is that you can click on the route and drag it to a new street. It instantly updates the route and shows you the new distance. This is great way to quickly experiment with different routes to get the precise distance you’re looking for.

However, it only works if you’re running along roads. If you run on trails, through parks, or on new roads that aren’t in Google maps, you’re stuck. So, I’m wondering… are there any online tools out there for creating routes and figuring distances off-road? How do you figure the distances of your runs?

------------------
Training for my first marathon

[This message has been edited by pdstein (edited Sep-03-2007).]

IP: Logged

Iontach
Cool Runner
posted Sep-03-2007 10:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iontach     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've seen this talked about: http://www.littleredfrog.com/?action=mapper

mum2girls
Cool Runner
posted Sep-03-2007 11:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mum2girls   Click Here to Email mum2girls     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My favorite mapping sites for trail runs:

www.walkjogrun.net
runningmap.com (includes an elevation calculator)

LLawhon
posted Sep-03-2007 01:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LLawhon   Click Here to Email LLawhon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yep, I love www.walkjogrun.net It is so easy to use in my neighborhood, or when we visit my mom-in-law. So cool - I discovered that a lap of the streets in her neighborhood is exactly one mile! I will probably use it when trying to run after work when it gets cold, instead of before work.

------------------
Laura in Houston

xianz.com/TexAg84
MySpace.com/LauraTexAg84

M00nshine
Cool Runner
posted Sep-03-2007 02:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for M00nshine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I like to use mapmyrun.com. You can also work out calories burned and extra stuff like that.

cewickbe
posted Sep-03-2007 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cewickbe   Click Here to Email cewickbe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have been using the map feature on www.usatf.com I also like to run on some unmarked trails. if you click on the satellite optin instead of just a regular map it will show you a satellite of the area and you may or may not be able to sucessfully find your trail. if the area isnt too remote it usually works. good luck!

Fatdude
Cool Runner
posted Sep-03-2007 07:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Fatdude     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Favoriterun.com

Tifore
posted Sep-03-2007 07:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tifore   Click Here to Email Tifore     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
www.gmap-pedometer.com

It uses google maps and you can start a recording point and click till you figure out where you want to go and the distance. It gives you a elevation thingy as well on the bottom.

There and back routes are easy as well with the "Complete there and back" feature.

------------------
My Blog

Silly Bear
Cool Runner
posted Sep-03-2007 07:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silly Bear   Click Here to Email Silly Bear     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use mapmyrun.com, and have several runs saved ranging from two miles up to around twelve. When I run, if I change my route because I'm feeling frisky (or, more likely, forgetful) then I can go back and easily edit the route to see how far I actually went.

It uses Google Maps and includes things like a function that follows the road for you and being able to add icons for rest stops and such.

No affiliation, just happy using it.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: