Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Click for more info
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

Running in my new running skort

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running in my new running skort
kimike
Cool Runner
posted Jun-09-2006 09:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kimike     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by subarry:
Seriously, I think those skirts were really meant for moms to wear when they have to "run" after their toddlers....do you want to send that message to all the guys that run in races!?!?!?!

.[/B]

The minute you let a man decide how you will dress and act, you have lost the battle.

IP: Logged

mountainlake
Cool Runner
posted Jun-09-2006 09:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mountainlake     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by subarry:
Please don't kill me...you know when I see someone in a race wearing a skirt..I just have to beat them...I refuse to let a "skirt" beat me. Seriously, I think those skirts were really meant for moms to wear when they have to "run" after their toddlers....do you want to send that message to all the guys that run in races!?!?!?!

Why do women wear running skirts? Because of comfort issues. So many women HATE regular running shorts. They ride up, they bunch, they just don't work. I was in a running store the other day and was complaining about the tiny short shorts that women are "supposed" to run in. The owner is a woman about 5'5" and 115 pounds - very fit and a great runner - agreed. She buys men's running shorts and she said a lot of women do also. When I told her about the running skirts, her eyes lit up and she said she'd definitely be looking into them, not just for the store, but for her.

If women were wearing running skirts b/c they wanted to be "girly," then that would be one thing. But they're not. They are wearing them b/c the other options SUCK.

I say COMFORT should rule, and if that means a running skirt, more power to you! I personally wear a pair of columbia hiking shorts that I bought before I ever started running, but they are the only shorts I can comfortably run in. I am going to look into the new running skirts. If it's comfortable and it does the job, who the heck cares what other people think?!?

/rant mode off/

------------------
When you run a race, you are always a winner: DFL>DNF>DNS

I Love the Newbie Running FAQ

cowboyducas
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 09:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cowboyducas   Click Here to Email cowboyducas     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clams:
um OK I'm a guy
can someone post pics so I know what you're all talking about?

Here are some photos and a video of skirts by running skirts.com to get an idea of what everyone's talking about. You have to check out the video, it is hilarious and not what you think.

http://www.runningskirts.com/Boston-Marathon.html

http://completerunning.com/running-blog-mark/index.php/archives/2006/05/08/running-skirt-video-debut/

I purchased a Nike Dri-fit tennis skirt at Marshalls for $15 and it's great. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about running in a skirt, but it is very comfortable and I love that it doesn't bunch up in between my legs. While the Walmart Athletic Works skirt had a good sporty look, I think the shorts underneath are a bit too short for my liking, they are more like attached briefs, not compression shorts, and unfortunately did ride up on me. I like a bit more shorts covereage, even if it's going to be covered up by the skirt portion. The Danskin skirt was a little too long. I'm really picky with my clothes. Need them to fit perfectly and comfortably.

aimwill
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 11:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for aimwill   Click Here to Email aimwill     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
that was funny...but i did really like that pink skirt! very cute!

runningblogfather
posted Jun-10-2006 11:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningblogfather   Click Here to Email runningblogfather     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Everyone, I'm the guy in that pink skirt. While I made the video for fun, there actually was a serious side to the whole thing. Here's my review of the skirt including some links with history:

http://completerunning.com/running-blog-mark/index.php/archives/2006/05/09/a-manly-mans-review-of-his-pink-running-skirt/

Happy Running!

~Mark

[This message has been edited by runningblogfather (edited Jun-10-2006).]

[This message has been edited by runningblogfather (edited Jun-10-2006).]

RunningSlender
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 12:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunningSlender     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I love the video Runningblogfather. lol

I never knew skirt would be such a hot button issue. Personally I think women can wear whatever makes them comfortable. If someone doesnt like it. Just dont look her or him in it. I know I will be looking to buy one and try it out. Why not...you only live once

runningblogfather
posted Jun-10-2006 01:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningblogfather   Click Here to Email runningblogfather     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks RunningSlender,

I too was surprised at some people's reaction. To, me the whole running skirt thing is a matter of choice. I actually wrote another post in reaction to many comments/emails I got when I started "the running skirt challenge".

http://completerunning.com/running-blog-mark/index.php/archives/2006/04/24/can-we-have-a-serious-heart-to-heart-talk/

Sorry to pimp my own links but it's easier to paste a link than type the story.

Cheers!

~Mark

Colormepink
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 01:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Colormepink     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Mark that was way Cool!! Thanks for the laughs and the insight. :-) I personally love my running skirt. Although mine seems a good bit longer than these girls good thing cause I don't have their bods.

runningblogfather
posted Jun-10-2006 02:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningblogfather   Click Here to Email runningblogfather     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
colormepink - what was so funny? ;-)

painless
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 04:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for painless     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clams:
um OK I'm a guy
can someone post pics so I know what you're all talking about?

I'm glad you asked that -- I'm a woman and had no idea what they were talking about!

Having seen it, I think the skirt is cute though I admit that I would feel silly wearing it.

I don't care (or even notice) what other people wear when they run. Well, I do notice when men wear those tiny running shorts. They kind of crack me up. (But that doesn't mean I think men shouldn't wear them -- people should just wear whatever works for them.)

coov82
Cool Runner
posted Jun-13-2006 04:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for coov82     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Went to Walmart--got a Danskin. The other brand they had was more clingy. I agree that the waistband thingy was wierd, but I took it out! Ran in it today and it was fun! 10 bucks made it a great bargain! The shorts underneath fit my thighs just right--they didn't ride up at all, and the skirt didn't flap or anything. For 10 bucks give it a go!

amandalynnw
Cool Runner
posted Jun-13-2006 09:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for amandalynnw     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Mark-
It took a lot to get to watch your video...but it was so worth my time. I myself just bought a running skirt 2 days ago, but have not had a chance to test it out. Of course, mine was just black...not pretty pink

Mandy

------------------
Mandy
Zachary 9-17-02
Megan 10-5-98

My User Profile

runningblogfather
posted Jun-14-2006 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningblogfather   Click Here to Email runningblogfather     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
haha! I am sure you looked better than I did - even in the pink.

BethJL
Cool Runner
posted Jun-14-2006 02:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BethJL     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hmmm..... all this talk about running skirts has me curious. I think I will have to start looking for one. Like everyone else I am all for saving a few bucks, but I also like quality, so I think I am going to try to find the one that New Balance makes. I am running Iron Girl in July in Boston which would be a great place to wear it!
Beth

gale813
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 09:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gale813   Click Here to Email gale813     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have to admit that it definately breathes better than my compression shorts.. much cooler.

Now that it is warmer I have decided to go buy a few more tonite, after work.

Hopefully they have some pink ones... LOL!!!!!

------------------
Hi, I'm Gale and I'm a runaholic!!!My Profile

pacificsunk1ssed
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 01:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pacificsunk1ssed     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I also had read the thread about the danskin skirts and thought to try it out. I loved it! I was actually really nervous to run in something with shorts, because I have had bad situations with being in the middle of a long run and having chaffing. So, I used body glide, and pulled the shorts down to just past my thighs. It ended up staying just fine. Also, the waist may not be flattering to me, but it felt better to run in something other than black pants (summer day) with nothing being flattered at all. I think I am going to go back and buy the other two colors (I have white). I am going to look around for some longer leggings that I can put under the skirt though... One bad chaffing experience is all I needed to avoid it for the future at any and all cost!!

khoots
posted Jun-15-2006 03:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for khoots     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Jumping in on this thread...but, after reading it a few days ago...I just HAD to get mine, too! I got 2 smalls from Wal-Mart - Im not so petite - so, it fit quite well (made my butt look sort of J-lo round, thou...maybe good, maybe bad).

I live in the Southwest where field hockey and lacrosse dont exist anymore..so, I am re-living my field hockey/lax days, too!

Gotta luv a skirt!

gregorsa
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 04:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gregorsa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm the one who posted a thread a couple weeks ago about "great cheap running skort" at walmart. Never thought the post would invite such controversy- I love mine- I have the danskin one- I'm glad that others like theirs too- since I posted I have checked out the athletic works ones too, and am trying to decide which color I'd like best before buying one of those too.
I love finding reasonably priced running gear- it can be a real challenge, and for the first time this year walmart has really stepped up to the plate with women's wicking wear including tops shorts and skorts. At their prices, I am now well-attired!
I really hope that anyone who thinks women will not be taken seriously if they run in a skirt will realize that it's only women who have said anything like that, and IMHO it is a very sad thing to hear from a female runner.
I am all for women running, and think we should wear what we want! And I for one really love my little skort. It is comfy and I think it looks good on- but if someone else doesn't, well, that's their problem. Not mine!

gale813
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 06:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gale813   Click Here to Email gale813     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The skorts are fun and you certainly get the looks on the course!!! Hehe...

------------------
Hi, I'm Gale and I'm a runaholic!!!My Profile

jen x
posted Jun-15-2006 09:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jen x     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So when I first saw this post, I had no idea what a running skirt was. I mean, I had assumed, but I had never seen one.

Then, Thursday's New York Times devoted an entire Fashion & Style slideshow to them:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2006/06/14/fashion/20060614_PHYS_SLIDESHOW_1.html

So I must say, you ladies are quite the trendsetters!

(Edited to fix formatting ...)

[This message has been edited by jen x (edited Jun-15-2006).]

nunrun
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 09:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nunrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I found this topic quite interesting... I run in a full habit...

------------------
Yes...Nuns still exist...

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: