Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: jcumming

Running mantras

Topic is 12 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running mantras
rematore
posted Oct-14-2004 05:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rematore   Click Here to Email rematore     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Screw it; run through it!

------------------
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=rematore

IP: Logged

Knappster23
Cool Runner
posted Oct-14-2004 05:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Knappster23   Click Here to Email Knappster23     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Relax and flow.

That really helps me when I am pushing too hard or running too tight. It's amazing how much better and faster you run when you just let go and trust yourself instead of trying to force the issue.

[This message has been edited by Knappster23 (edited Oct-14-2004).]

heidi4eyes
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for heidi4eyes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This really is good stuff, I love reading these!
Here you go, Cad.
Heidi

[This message has been edited by heidi4eyes (edited Feb-03-2005).]

espi335
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for espi335   Click Here to Email espi335     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter K:
I don't exactly have what you would call a mantra, but whenever I see some really nice girl, then, and only then, do I remember why I'm running/keeping fit in the first place. I should imagine its the same for most blokes.

Yep. I'm one of those blokes. I like to imagine myself at a pool, where a nice girl appreciates my svelt frame! That keeps me running.

LOL

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Second Nature:
What is your running mantra?

So far mine is "You think this is pain? This is not pain, this is you getting your butt in shape. Now move it!"

Go to my "Runners Quotes" page if you need to formulate your own or borrow all of these that you like.

http://www.freewebs.com/dg12/runners_quotes.htm

It seems I always start off with Forest Gump's famous line,

I decided to go for a little run. - Forrest Gump

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigGahoona:
I start running Gloria Gaynor's song "I Will Survive" through my head.

My sister has a friend who's mantra is "Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body" - which sort of scares me......

That's a famous Marine Corps saying. Give credit where it's due now that you know. It means that at first you will suffer and you will get stronger but the discomfort does go away.

Semper Fi (always faithful)
Marine Corps motto.

briandirect
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for briandirect     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When my body is craving to stop it try to think.....
"Get used to it ....the rest of my life could be like this"

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 03:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anaphase:
I have a couple:

"You're a runner. This is what you do."
"F*** YOU, STUPID HILL. You're my B*tch now, hill! You rat b@stard."
"One brick at a time - one single, solitary brick" (from a song)
"ONWARD"

Hills are all that you?
WOW

I used to think it was a natural elevation of land, or a mass of earth rising above the common level of the surrounding land which was meanto to run up or down.

Xavier Breath
posted Feb-03-2005 04:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Xavier Breath     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't have a running mantra.

Tamblyn
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 04:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tamblyn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't often have one, but sometimes the lyrics to CCR's "Run through the Jungle" go through my head.

If I ever start to run with a headphones, that one is definitely going to be on my music mix.

[This message has been edited by Tamblyn (edited Feb-03-2005).]

astrosweet
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 05:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for astrosweet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For exercise and dieting motivation, I rely on something along the lines of: "Every day your body is constantly replenishing and rebuilding itself. What is uses and the design it follows depends on the tools and supplies you give it."

It's really a fancy way of saying GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

Econo
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 09:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Econo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just when I think "dang, I am wasting so much time on that stupid website", someone like blockphi comes along to make me laugh out loud. A loud hearty laugh ranks right up there, therapeutically, with the smug self-righteous glow I get when I finish a run.

And I don't have a mantra. It's more like "duh, look at that car. Look at that squirrel. Should I say "good morning" to that couple when I pass them? (etc.)" heavy stuff

anderspank
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 09:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for anderspank   Click Here to Email anderspank     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Brian you are a crazy A@# and this pain makes you stound out more than any other person on this road right now. you wanna do an Ironman? you better get your ass in gear and pound out another mile or 25 to finish!"

its all in the head, once you beat the head you win....

Voodoojunkie
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Voodoojunkie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When it's single digits with a negative windchill and I'm still wearing shorts and cold at the start of a run, I just shout, "If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"

twoleftfeet
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 10:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for twoleftfeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just saw "Racing Stripes" with my son, and my new mantra is "Leave it on the track and don't look back".

heidi4eyes
Cool Runner
posted Feb-03-2005 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for heidi4eyes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voodoojunkie:
When it's single digits with a negative windchill and I'm still wearing shorts and cold at the start of a run, I just shout, "If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"

babybugmama
Cool Runner
posted Feb-04-2005 01:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for babybugmama     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't generally have mantra's...but if needed...

keep going keep going keep going you can do it you can do it....

But during this extraordinarily hilly 1/2 marathon I did, I kept saying

It's a little bitty hill, it's a little bitty hill....5 minutes later, it's a f***ing little bitty hill.

heidi4eyes
Cool Runner
posted Feb-04-2005 02:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for heidi4eyes     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
BOOM chuckaluckalucka
BOOM chuckaluckalucka
BOOM chuckaluckalucka

that's my current favorite for when I'm getting worn out.

in pursuit
Cool Runner
posted Feb-06-2005 05:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for in pursuit     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
2 more to add to a great thread:

"Nothing lasts forever" (Navy SEAL saying)

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back...." (originally a Coast Guard saying but freely used by many a Naval Aviator on those dark and stormy nights aboard an aircraft carrier prior to launch)

jzgeorge
Cool Runner
posted Feb-06-2005 06:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jzgeorge   Click Here to Email jzgeorge     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Second Nature:
What is your running mantra?

G. Gordon Liddy's "I am a machine" has always been a favorite. I also like the Rolling Stone's "It's only rock and roll and I like it, like it. Yes, I do." Finally, from my military days, "I want to be an airborne ranger. Live a life of sex and danger. I want to go to Vietnam." Of course I was in the military in the 1980's so I don't know why we still wanted to go to Vietnam but there it is.

AlissaM
posted Feb-06-2005 06:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AlissaM   Click Here to Email AlissaM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's not what I'm running from...it's what I'm running towards..the future, the finish line, my goals, a new challenge, a bright beginning, the unexpected surprise of a new PR.

digitaldingo1
Cool Runner
posted Feb-07-2005 02:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for digitaldingo1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
these are all quotes from other members here that I had gotton off a similar thread. I don't mean to take credit for them, they have just been really motivating for me (thanks!) so i thought they might be for someone else too. unfortunatly, i don't know who said what.

I think that I might be alot of bad things, but I AM NOT A QUITTER! I might be fat and slow, out of breath and hurting, more crawling than running, but I will not quit.

Of course I can do it...I'm a warrior.

I tell myself that once upon a time I could barely get through a really short run without huffin and puffin...and now I still huff and puff...but it's in the Boston Marathon.

I pretend the sweat pouring off of me is my fat cells...fleeing for their miserable little lives...

"Pain feels so much better than regret"

It feels good to show some courage. Joe Namath

-Cait

------------------
My Profile

A6RNNER
Cool Runner
posted Feb-07-2005 05:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for A6RNNER   Click Here to Email A6RNNER     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
whenever i feel tired, i say..."are you a runner?....ok then, so RUN!!!" that usually gets me going...

------------------
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=A6RNNER

Little Miss Booyah
Cool Runner
posted Feb-07-2005 01:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Little Miss Booyah     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I haven't been running for very long, but this is what I tell myself:

"The only person who can beat you is you...and I'm pretty sure you can take her."

Sometimes I can only say this:

"You're kind of cute when you can't breathe."

rushrunriverrat
posted Feb-07-2005 07:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rushrunriverrat   Click Here to Email rushrunriverrat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just started myself , so my mantra has become : If you don't like the way I look while I'm running you can bite me at least I'm doing it!!!

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 12 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: