Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

tattoo ideas

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   tattoo ideas
runbum
posted Aug-21-2007 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runbum     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
On completion of finishing my first marathon I plan to get a "running" tattoo.
Besides my finish time or the marathon logo, does anyone have any suggestions?

IP: Logged

ToddDubya
Cool Runner
posted Aug-21-2007 08:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ToddDubya     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not to get one

* Edited to include sarcastic but serious smiley.

[This message has been edited by ToddDubya (edited Aug-21-2007).]

UncleFred
Cool Runner
posted Aug-22-2007 11:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for UncleFred     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Classic.

------------------
Thank you for your time ...
Fred

melistic
Cool Runner
posted Aug-22-2007 01:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for melistic   Click Here to Email melistic     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
if you are asking us, don't.
Don't get one just to have one or just to say you did the race, you get a t-shirt for that.

if you have an idea and having been dreaming of it for at least as long as you have been dreaming of the marathon and have lived w/ the idea, and know exactly where you want it and how you want it, and how you'll cover it for an interview/funeral and haven't changed your mind for the concept or design or placement...get it

I'm not anti-tattoo, far from it! But I have a ton of friends w/ stupid tattoo's they did not think through

ENTRPRZ
posted Sep-10-2007 09:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ENTRPRZ   Click Here to Email ENTRPRZ     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm of the opinion that tattoos have to be earned. That way you don't end up with something that you will regret down the road. Finishing a marathon is definately one of those occassions. I just got my marathon tattoo done last week. I don't know how to attach a pic on here so I'll describe mine. I have 26.2 in black in the middle, obviously to signify the marathon. That is surrounded by the Red Hot Chili Peppers double positive logo in red, which is the only type of music I can run to and all I listened to during the marathon. That is then surrounded by my running mantra "Just Don't Stop" written out 3 times in a circle, also in black. Oh and I had it placed on my left shin, over my resulant stress fracture.

red73
posted Sep-10-2007 09:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for red73     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ENTRPRZ:
I had it placed on my left shin, over my resulant stress fracture.

that's great

TammyM
Cool Runner
posted Sep-11-2007 06:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TammyM   Click Here to Email TammyM     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wouldn't get your finish time. Someday you might totally smash that time and then you'll feel like you are advertising your 'slow' marathon pace. Memorialize your finish time by engraving it on the back of your finisher's medal if you want, but not on your skin.

And I'm not anti-tattoo either . . . in fact I'd like to get one. I just think you'll regret having your time as part of the tattoo.

MGinNYC
Cool Runner
posted Sep-12-2007 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MGinNYC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by melistic:
I'm not anti-tattoo, far from it! But I have a ton of friends w/ stupid tattoo's they did not think through

Agreed. My cousin had his arm tattooed in the army, and spent the rest of his life wearing long sleeves.

And have you ever seen a tattoo on an older person? NOT pretty.

crunningman
Cool Runner
posted Sep-13-2007 09:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for crunningman   Click Here to Email crunningman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think tattoos look pretty cool as long as people don't go overboard. Expression can sometimes be exaggerated to the nth degree. But to each their own.

My buddy just got one of a stick runner and 26.2 on the back of his calf, but I would never go as big as he did.

I'd probably do it on the inside of my right wrist so that I can see it when I'm running and it doesn't stick out so much.

munchkn883
Cool Runner
posted Sep-14-2007 08:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for munchkn883     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just got my second tattoo this past Tuesday. Pink BC ribbon with a butterfly on my left calf. I am a two time survivor. Oh, and I'm one of those "older people"!! In a couple of weeks I'm going back to have the one on my shoulder from 1992 redone. I don't regret any of them!

amzm7
Cool Runner
posted Sep-16-2007 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for amzm7     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would suggest, based on my own experience, to get your tattoo somewhere it can be covered with everyday clothing.
I have two tattoos, one on my hip that is covered and the other on my ankle. I regret the ankle tattoo. Oh, well!!
I have a few years to think of a witty story to tell my grandkids when they asked why gramdma has a tattoo.

------------------
Angie

sunnierunner
posted Sep-16-2007 09:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sunnierunner   Click Here to Email sunnierunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ENTRPRZ:
[B.......Red Hot Chili Peppers double positive logo in red, which is the only type of music I can run to and all I listened to during the marathon. That is then surrounded by my running mantra "Just Don't Stop" written out 3 times in a circle, also in black. Oh and I had it placed on my left shin, over my resulant stress fracture. [/B]

thats cool

coastwriterxc
posted Sep-17-2007 09:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for coastwriterxc   Click Here to Email coastwriterxc     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm getting a lightning bolt in a few weeks right below the back of my knee.

ForceD
Cool Runner
posted Sep-17-2007 10:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ForceD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just saw this story on CNN.com. Good info BEFORE you get inked.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/10/hm.tattoo.removal/index.html

Dan

mrourke
Cool Runner
posted Oct-03-2007 10:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mrourke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I got one when I was in college. Now I have a stupid looking Sun on my ankle that has little meaning to me now. I hate wearing shorts and live in California.

At least a running stick guy takes effort to earn.

Whoever said not to get your time inked was brilliant. My previous PR seems slow to me now, and I would not want to cross out one time to add another below it!

Forever is a really loooooooooooooong time.

RichardC
Cool Runner
posted Oct-03-2007 10:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RichardC   Click Here to Email RichardC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not to sound repetitve...

And I am not against them personally...

However IF you do not not know what you want on your body for the rest of you life and have to ask us... Than Dont do it!

tatrunner
Cool Runner
posted Oct-04-2007 04:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tatrunner   Click Here to Email tatrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by runbum:
On completion of finishing my first marathon I plan to get a "running" tattoo.
Besides my finish time or the marathon logo, does anyone have any suggestions?

------

nice...congrats!! come up to Toronto and get one done by me...i'll hook you up. I do this thing for a living

i'm thinking of getting a 'running tribute' one when i complete my first ultra...which will hopefully be...geez. a year from now?

I do agree that it's a good idea to contemplate about getting one than getting something spur of the moment. do some research. a good suggestion is to get something that reflects what got you into running in the first place....a first love..was it a childhood passion you always had? was it for health? for family? loved ones? positive memories and milestones are always good ideas, even if they take some thought it's well worth the patience to take this approach. you're more bound to get something that'll stick with you when you do....

anyway my 0.02

[This message has been edited by tatrunner (edited Oct-04-2007).]

jakey
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2007 12:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakey   Click Here to Email jakey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
From the CNN article:
Among a group of 18- to 50-year-olds surveyed in 2004, 24 percent reported having a tattoo and 17 percent of those considered getting their tattoo removed.

This is misleading. Of the 24% only 17% wanted it removed. So only 4% of the total people. This kind of makes it seem like most of the 24%.

MingledYarn
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2007 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MingledYarn   Click Here to Email MingledYarn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Uh, well, not 4%, since those of us without tattoos probably never considered getting our tattoos removed.

24% had tattoos - almost a quarter of the population surveyed.

17% of those with tattoos considered getting them removed - almost a fifth of those who have tattoos. Based on that survey, nearly one of every five people who have tattoos regret them.

Endure
Cool Runner
posted Oct-16-2007 10:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Endure   Click Here to Email Endure     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amzm7:
I would suggest, based on my own experience, to get your tattoo somewhere it can be covered with everyday clothing.
I have two tattoos, one on my hip that is covered and the other on my ankle. I regret the ankle tattoo. Oh, well!!
I have a few years to think of a witty story to tell my grandkids when they asked why gramdma has a tattoo.

As someone (female) considering the Achilles wing on my inner ankle, why do you regret the ankle tattoo?

emmygirl
posted Oct-21-2007 02:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for emmygirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I completely understand why you'd want a tattoo for accomplishing something so wonderful. I just finished my first marathon and am obsessed with adding another tattoo to my body that "memorializes" such a big event in my life. I think it is something to be proud of, saggy or not!

However, before you do go, be sure it is in a place that you can live with forever (as amzm7 said, you might regret one you can't cover up, especially for special occasions/interviews, etc.).

I'm going to get 26.2 in a shamrock because I ran the race in the memory of my gram who was from Ireland. I don't care how old I get, how saggy I get, or how fast/slow of a runner I get, I will always feel connected to those two symbols.

Good luck!

Ken Camet
Cool Runner
posted Oct-21-2007 02:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ken Camet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Seems like something you'll be looking to get rid of 10 years from now. I heard the other day that the most popular type of cosmetic surgery by far is tatoo removal? I believe it. Maybe get a bumper sticker?

runnerparris
Cool Runner
posted Oct-21-2007 11:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runnerparris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had a friend with a girl stick runner on her ankle. I thought it was cute, and I am really not much of a tattoo person.

------------------
My Profile

tiffrabe
posted Oct-29-2007 11:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tiffrabe   Click Here to Email tiffrabe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
nike symbol on lower (middle) back....

randymar
Cool Runner
posted Oct-29-2007 12:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for randymar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

------------------
Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.

400 Beers

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: