Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Do you think it's a big deal to use someone else's bib number?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Do you think it's a big deal to use someone else's bib number?
Bugs34
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 12:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bugs34     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

In a race with a lot of people, is it terrible to use someone else's bib number who is the same age group as you?

I personally think that the bib number should be transferable, for a small paper filing fee.

What do you think?

------------------
Bugs

IP: Logged

NYCross
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 01:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NYCross     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Do you mean that that person wasn't able to run the race, so she gave or sold his number to you in advance?

I don't know if there are any rules about this, but IMO, I think it's alright to do as long as the person whose number you use signed up for the race as a legitimate competitor but had to drop out beforehand, and that she is not making money from selling you the number. Also, you have to just live with the fact that the other person's name is going to be in the results and not yours. It's not the race director's responsibility to change the names- nothing would get done in big races if the race staff was constantly having to take care of things like that.

RunGenRun
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 01:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RunGenRun   Click Here to Email RunGenRun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bugs34:

In a race with a lot of people, is it terrible to use someone else's bib number who is the same age group as you?

I personally think that the bib number should be transferable, for a small paper filing fee.

What do you think?

Hello,

edited already to add:[the transfer must be approved no doubt, if and when allowed, because if the runner is unconscious or in some other trouble then there are repurcussions. Possibly the wrong contact person will be notified of their kin or else some sort of insurance or liability will not cover the 'bandit' runner]
Here are some answers from various race faqs. Some races allow it, with a form and a fee and other races do not.

Lakefront Milwaukee marathon-->I got injured or decided to run another marathon - can I get my money back, transfer my entry to someone else, or transfer it to next year. No, you cannot. Entries are not transferable or refundable

Chicago Marathon-->Marathon Rules & Regulations Applicable to all Participants
---
There will be no registration refunds or transfers.

LaSalle Banks CDC-->Registration Procedures
Refunds, name transfers or deferments are not permitted.

Marine corps marathon-->To transfer a bib number, registered runners must complete and mail in the MCM transfer form available here. The form requires the information of the registered runner and the runner receiving the transferred number. MCM will send a transfer application to the new runner, which must be returned with the $20 transfer fee by September 21.

Imogene pass run-->Transfers:
Entrants who are unable to participate may transfer their entry to another person. Please visit the Transfer Information page for details. NO TRANSFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED PAST THE 8/28/06 POSTMARK DATE.

So I guess the best thing to do would be to read your races information or faq or call them and ask how to tranfer.

Good luck,
Gen

[This message has been edited by RunGenRun (edited Aug-11-2006).]

Bugs34
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 01:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bugs34     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RunGenRun:
Hello,
So I guess the best thing to do would be to read your races information or faq or call them and ask how to tranfer.

NO, I'm not in this situation, but have heard of where one person can't run a race because of an injury so he gives it to another person, and the recorded results go under somebody else's names. Yes, it's against the legal rules, but people do it all the time. I'm asking how unethical do you think it is, or is it really no big deal?

------------------
Bugs

Tuffonfeet
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 01:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tuffonfeet   Click Here to Email Tuffonfeet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's a Race Director's nightmare if you get hurt. Ending up in the medical tent at this Grandma's Marathon I can see why.
I wouldn't do it!

Bugs34
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 02:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bugs34     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NYCross:
Do you mean that that person wasn't able to run the race, so she gave or sold his number to you in advance?

I don't know if there are any rules about this, but IMO, I think it's alright to do as long as the person whose number you use signed up for the race as a legitimate competitor but had to drop out beforehand, and that she is not making money from selling you the number. Also, you have to just live with the fact that the other person's name is going to be in the results and not yours. It's not the race director's responsibility to change the names- nothing would get done in big races if the race staff was constantly having to take care of things like that.

Yes that is what I mean. I suppose there could be a timelimit on when you change the name. Perhaps a limit on the number of transfers. With most entries being done online, it just wouldn't be that hard to have a place online to switch the entry.

------------------
Bugs

MaineRunner2001
Cool Runner
posted Aug-11-2006 02:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaineRunner2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran a race with someone else's bib number. I talked with the race director and got the OK. The director actually was pleased with the fact the bib was going to be used, and would not be a DNF.

maryt
Cool Runner
posted Aug-12-2006 08:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for maryt     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Some races set the number of entrants with the idea that there will be a certain percentage of no shows (like airlines overbooking) so that may contribute to cases where they don't want to transfer a number. Some will allow it if it's done early enough.

The biggest issue is that if anything happens and you are running with someone else's number that hasn't been transferred with your info, something requiring a visit to a med tent or worse, the wrong identity is a real problem. There's also the race director's issue that the person who is running never signed a waiver. Some races are really serious about it. I have heard of people being banned from entering the race again when an unauthorized transfer was discovered (Vermont, I think?). It's not likely to be discovered, of course, unless the person does end up in the med tent or wins some sort of age group award. Still, not a great idea.

GreenEggsAndHam
Cool Runner
posted Aug-12-2006 04:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GreenEggsAndHam   Click Here to Email GreenEggsAndHam     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've done it several years at Peachtree even though it's against the rules.

No chance for me to place or even come within the part that gets timed.
I fill out the back of the number with my information.

I don't think it's bad. Someone paid; the race got their money.

Born to Run
Cool Runner
posted Aug-12-2006 05:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Born to Run   Click Here to Email Born to Run     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think if the person giving you the number doesn't mind the it should be okay. Personally, I would never give my number to anyone else as I wouldn't want some slow time recorded under my name (I already have my bad days! I don't want any extras).

lioness1
Cool Runner
posted Aug-14-2006 10:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lioness1   Click Here to Email lioness1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Born to Run:
I think if the person giving you the number doesn't mind the it should be okay. Personally, I would never give my number to anyone else as I wouldn't want some slow time recorded under my name (I already have my bad days! I don't want any extras).

Maybe you should have a time trial before you allow anyone to use your number.

Actually in my case, someone might make me look suspiciously good and they'd be asking me to take a drug test or something.

But generally speaking I prefer not to use another's bib number or give mine to someone else for the reasons mentioned about medical emergencies. But if the race had a system whereby ppl could transfer bibs and change the info, so it fits the person receiving the bib, that makes sense.

jcumming
Cool Runner
posted Aug-19-2006 08:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jcumming   Click Here to Email jcumming     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GreenEggsAndHam:
I've done it several years at Peachtree even though it's against the rules.

No chance for me to place or even come within the part that gets timed.
I fill out the back of the number with my information.

I don't think it's bad. Someone paid; the race got their money.

Peachtree is the only place I have ever done it. I was unexpectedly in Atlanta and a guy gave me his number as he was injured.

Probably it's unethical, but I don't have a problem with it. The money was paid and nobody is stealing a service.

Kinda too bad that some people will pay a premium to "scalpers" for a number, but in our society that's gonna happen in popular races with limited numbers.

mountmars
Cool Runner
posted Aug-19-2006 02:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mountmars   Click Here to Email mountmars     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's unethical if you are going to place in the money or get an age group award. It's also unethical if the race is a qualifying event, or is an event you had to qualify for.

It's unsafe if you get hurt and the Race Director does not have the proper personal information.

It's a legal problem if you haven't signed a waiver.

It's no big deal in terms of money if no scalping is going on. One bib, one runner.

I would probably never do it, but I would consider it on a case by case basis. I wouldn't never run for someone else, but if I was registered and couldn't run, I may consider offering my bib to running friends that are middle-of-the pack, in a safe race, and I would insist on them indicating on the back of their bibs who they really are and proper contact info.

Race Director will almost never agree to it because of the issues mentioned above.

My $0.02.

winmotion
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2006 12:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for winmotion   Click Here to Email winmotion     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nike Women's Only Marathon San Francisco:

My wife spent time this past year encouraging four women who are not runners to consider walking the whole route. She volunteered to walk it with them and make sure they finish under the wire.
When they finally registered and told her that they did, the event closed before I got her registered.

As they are clients, we will be there (costing us $1600.00) to see them though. She will pace them throughout the course and of course, they will get the incentives for the women and she will not.

I am trying to find someone who registered and then found out that they cannot run. If we can pick up the number, she can walk the course and at least get something at the end.

As she is an adidas sponsored athlete, it will not matter if someone else's name has her time on it. She usually finishes in 3:08:00 and does not need a time of 6:59:00 on her record.

Help!!!!!

?????

------------------
Women in Motion,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
and
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
visit us at:
http://www.womeninmotion.ca
Watch for the Women in Motion van around the Calgary university and the kolohe girl by the Ali Wai Canal.

glenwood96
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2006 01:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for glenwood96     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by winmotion:
I am trying to find someone who registered and then found out that they cannot run. If we can pick up the number, she can walk the course and at least get something at the end.

Explain the situation to the race director. They make exceptions all the time.

Gallowalker In Maine
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2006 08:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gallowalker In Maine   Click Here to Email Gallowalker In Maine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There is someone selling their Chicago Marathon number on ebay right now because of a knee injury.

Bugs34
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2006 11:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bugs34     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gallowalker In Maine:
There is someone selling their Chicago Marathon number on ebay right now because of a knee injury.

Wow. I bet he gets caught - assuming they have rules against it, as most do.

Knappster23
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2006 01:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Knappster23   Click Here to Email Knappster23     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If it's on Ebay, chances are they will find it. I know Chicago (and other marathons) scrutinzes for that kind of stuff big-time. It sucks to be out the entry fee, but it's better to eat it than to get banned from the race.

I'll admit to doing it once, my BIL couldn't run so he let me run with his number. But no money changed hands and outside of any legal ramifications no one would have noticed. That was a few years ago and now that I've been at this a while I doubt I would do that again.

lbonney
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2006 01:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lbonney     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There is one simple rule in life or situations like these, and many others:

It is always easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

avocate
Cool Runner
posted Oct-02-2006 05:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for avocate     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is a sore spot with me. It frustrates me that the big marathons fill up months before the race, but don't allow transfers. A lot of injuries can happen in the 4+ months between registration and race day. I feel that if a race opens registration so early, it should have a system in place for legal transfers.

This year, I signed up for Chicago but my training was interrupted because of a medical procedure. I agreed to sell my bib ONLY to someone else. He will have my bib, but I will not give him the chip. That way, he will still be able to run and get his finisher's medal, but his time won't show up under my name in the results.

runwun
Cool Runner
posted Oct-13-2006 09:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runwun   Click Here to Email runwun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i just used a persons bib number and won his age group,he didnt no how fast i was lol.......

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: