Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Running Tattoo's

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running Tattoo's
brownd23
posted May-23-2006 07:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for brownd23   Click Here to Email brownd23     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was thinking about getting a tattoo and was intersted in seeing what some of you have any interesting running tattoo's. I wanted to get a tattoo about something of running.

------------------
My Profile

IP: Logged

msjogger
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 10:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for msjogger   Click Here to Email msjogger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownd23:
I was thinking about getting a tattoo and was intersted in seeing what some of you have any interesting running tattoo's. I wanted to get a tattoo about something of running.

I have this one.....It helps keep me motivated. It is on my back just below my neck.....and not as big as it looks in the pic.

You will have to let us know what ya get.
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/msjogger/tattoo.jpg[/IMG

------------------
My Profile

msjogger
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 10:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for msjogger   Click Here to Email msjogger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msjogger:
I have this one.....It helps keep me motivated. It is on my back just below my neck.....and not as big as it looks in the pic.

You will have to let us know what ya get.
[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/msjogger/tattoo.jpg[/IMG

Let's try that again

------------------
My Profile

cruxjuris
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 11:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cruxjuris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msjogger:
I have this one.....It helps keep me motivated. It is on my back just below my neck

You decided to publicized your tatoo. Fine. Allow me 2 comments then:
1- It is on your back.. just below your neck.. and it helps keep you motivated. How ?
2- Bad craftmanship. I do not see a "running" symbol there. It looks more like a couple of crossed bananas. You should get it fixed.

msjogger
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 11:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for msjogger   Click Here to Email msjogger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cruxjuris:
1- It is on your back.. just below your neck.. and it helps keep you motivated. How ?
2- Bad craftmanship. I do not see a "running" symbol there. It looks more like a couple of crossed bananas. You should get it fixed.

hmmmmmmm.......who asked ya?

jakey
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 01:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakey   Click Here to Email jakey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

You decided to publicize your poor spelling, allow me to comment:

tattoo

"decided to publicized" double past tense?

cruxjuris
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 05:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cruxjuris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
jakey: Thanks.

msjogger: You did not answer my question. What motivation are you getting from a tattoo you've never been able to really see ? Just honestly curious

runwun
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 06:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runwun   Click Here to Email runwun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
crux are you really that stupid??

jakey
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 06:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakey   Click Here to Email jakey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
BTW, msjogger, I like it. I see the running character.

Evinmeer
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 06:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Evinmeer   Click Here to Email Evinmeer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Cruxjuris: I'm going to take your comment to mean that you failed art class, because the key concept of "art is subjective to each viewer" obviously never penetrated your head. You think it looks like crossed bananas, that is your opinion; however, you are out of line in suggesting that the art is defective and should be "fixed". As Msjogger stated: "Who asked ya?"

------------------
Cheers! ~ Evin
My User Profile
MySpace

coconutty
posted May-23-2006 09:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for coconutty     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
What motivation are you getting from a tattoo you've never been able to really see ?

Not to speak for msjogger, but I think you can be inspired by it even without looking at it constantly. It's a symbol of running, and I think just the idea of its presence and knowing what it represents is enough to motivate.

I personally really like the tattoo.

msjogger
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 10:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for msjogger   Click Here to Email msjogger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the kind comments.

I like it.... I have no regrets!

It is only about 2in.....it does look huge in the pic.

------------------
My Profile

moved2wv
Cool Runner
posted May-23-2006 10:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for moved2wv     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
jakey: Thanks.

msjogger: You did not answer my question. What motivation are you getting from a tattoo you've never been able to really see ? Just honestly curious

You OBVIOUSLY have never gotten a tattoo.

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2006 06:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Cute tattoo! I have tattoos on my back and I forget about them all the time, lol.
Eventually I will get a running related tattoo, but I have a lot more personal goals to reach before I do it.

cruxjuris
Cool Runner
posted May-24-2006 11:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cruxjuris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coconutty:
Not to speak for msjogger, but I think you can be inspired by it even without looking at it constantly. It's a symbol of running, and I think just the idea of its presence and knowing what it represents is enough to motivate.

I personally really like the tattoo.

I like your "idea of its presence". Sort of a placebo tattoo. The tattoo in itself becoming less important than its mental representation. However, as msjogger decided to permanently hide the tattoo from herself, she wanted it in full view for everybody else. Hence, being motivated by the "idea of its presence" (=tattoo) or by "its presence in the eye of.." (=brand), that is the question.

[This message has been edited by cruxjuris (edited May-25-2006).]

NightRunner245
posted Jun-02-2006 02:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NightRunner245   Click Here to Email NightRunner245     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Brownd23 -- I've got two, both running related. A winged foot, like they give you for your varsity letter in track, on my right arm, and a small "26.2" on my right ankle. I'll post a picture if you like.

WRunner124
Cool Runner
posted Jun-02-2006 05:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for WRunner124     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll be a freshmen next year & i want to get our team mascot on my right quad/hamstring (on the side of your leg). I would get it just below my hip bone but to where you could see it if i were wearing racing/training shorts. probably about the size of the palm of my hand. Im alitle hesistent though. I almost want to wait at least a year to make sure I know im going to finish up my collegiate career there. Nothing would be worse than to get a tatoo then decide that the school is not for you & have to transfer someplace else and run.

anyone agree w/ waiting at least till next year?

------------------
My Profile

zoeglassjd
Cool Runner
posted Jun-09-2006 08:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zoeglassjd     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I ran cross in college. I am thirty now. Although I got some art in college I am quite happy I did not get my college mascot. Personal preference, but i would feel a bit silly with it. Like the ol' Springsteen "Glory Days" video.

Wait until you are three years out of college, if you still feel connected to your college mascot get the art then- my $.02.

mrbill
Cool Runner
posted Jun-10-2006 07:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mrbill   Click Here to Email mrbill     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

ne More Mile

mrbill

[This message has been edited by mrbill (edited Jun-10-2006).]

gary fossaceca
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 06:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gary fossaceca   Click Here to Email gary fossaceca     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
MS!!!! That art is nothing short of awesome! Now you have me thinking.......I've been wanting a tattoo and unsure what to get......your art inspired me.................

gary

JulieH478
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2006 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JulieH478     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WRunner124:
I'll be a freshmen next year & i want to get our team mascot on my right quad/hamstring (on the side of your leg). I would get it just below my hip bone but to where you could see it if i were wearing racing/training shorts. probably about the size of the palm of my hand. Im alitle hesistent though. I almost want to wait at least a year to make sure I know im going to finish up my collegiate career there. Nothing would be worse than to get a tatoo then decide that the school is not for you & have to transfer someplace else and run.

anyone agree w/ waiting at least till next year?

A lot of my friends got tatoos in college & now regret the art or placement. Ask yourself if you'll like having the mascot at 40.
If your a fan anyway, go for it. Its your choice!

LindsayB
Cool Runner
posted Jun-16-2006 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LindsayB   Click Here to Email LindsayB     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a few tattoos. I'm getting another one soon and wanted it to be running related.

I am getting the Japanese symbol for "Discipline". Discipline to represent running and officer's training. I picked Japanese b'c I lived in Japan for 3.5 yrs. I respect their culture so much, the way I was treated, and just the plain beauty of their country. I think that's cool , but I'm sure there are some people who think it's hokey.
People who get tattoos get them for personal reasons or just because they like tattoos. A tattoo does not have to be seen to be motivating or meaningful.

smink63
Cool Runner
posted Jun-19-2006 04:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for smink63   Click Here to Email smink63     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lindsay,

Hi! I'm a long term resident of Japan, so I'm curious about your idea. I assume you a referring to kanji, but what kanji do you have in mind? "Discipline," as you know, can be translated many ways, and most require TWO characters, not one. Kunren? Kitaeru? Where in Japan did you live? I lived in Kagoshima and Miyazaki (six years each), but now I'm in Okinawa. I also wonder how you feel about one other aspect of Japanese culture: the bias against people with tattoos. People with tattoos are generally not allowed to join health clubs or go in saunas (onsen). I love onsen, so I won't get a tattoo as long as I'm living in Japan. Thoughts? BTW, if you ever want to run a marathon in Japan, Okinawa is the best place to do it.

Paul in Okinawa
My Running Profile

cruxjuris
Cool Runner
posted Jun-19-2006 12:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cruxjuris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LindsayB:
A tattoo does not have to be seen to be motivating or meaningful.

OK. Have your next tattoo on Paul's shoulder. At least, he'll get the right spelling for you.

[This message has been edited by cruxjuris (edited Jun-19-2006).]

LindsayB
Cool Runner
posted Jun-19-2006 01:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LindsayB   Click Here to Email LindsayB     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smink63:
Lindsay,

Hi! I'm a long term resident of Japan, so I'm curious about your idea. I assume you a referring to kanji, but what kanji do you have in mind? "Discipline," as you know, can be translated many ways, and most require TWO characters, not one. Kunren? Kitaeru? Where in Japan did you live? I lived in Kagoshima and Miyazaki (six years each), but now I'm in Okinawa. I also wonder how you feel about one other aspect of Japanese culture: the bias against people with tattoos. People with tattoos are generally not allowed to join health clubs or go in saunas (onsen). I love onsen, so I won't get a tattoo as long as I'm living in Japan. Thoughts? BTW, if you ever want to run a marathon in Japan, Okinawa is the best place to do it.

Paul in Okinawa
[/URL]

Paul,
Hi there. I was stationed at Misawa Air Base...the "tip of the spear"
It was very rural and much less westernized than Tokyo/central Japan.
I used to go to onsens quite a bit, and nothing was ever said to me or pointed out to me. In fact (as you well know) many military personnel have tattoos and many went to the health clubs/hot baths. From my experience with the people in Japan they were only polite and would never point out something like that. I did not know that tattoos were looked down upon. I never felt that bias. The only time that I felt any animosity was after Sept. 11th.
I ran with an AF team and competed in half marathons around northern Japan. I would have loved to do my first marathon in Japan.
I definitely want to get the tattoo in kanji. I will be getting it in the next few months. I am sure that you are much more familiar with the Japanese language than I am. If you have time, would you mind emailing me (email in profile)? Of course I will do my own research, but would appreciate your input.
Take care,
Lindsay

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: