Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

drunk running anyone?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   drunk running anyone?
gentlesavage
Cool Runner
posted Apr-11-2006 10:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for gentlesavage   Click Here to Email gentlesavage     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So here's my story and I'm sticking to it: Last night I had quite a few beers. I started off with an Avery Brewing's The Czar Imperial Stout. Then moved on to a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. From there about 5 Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. As you can guess I was thoroughly wasted. The time is now 1:00 AM. Most would go to sleep. Not I. I decided to go out for a run and what a pleasant run it was. I ran about 4 miles at what was a faster pace than I ever ran sober. Maybe even a minute or two faster. It was beautiful out. A little chilly because I live on a shore island. No cars on the road i ran except a cop car that passed by and I guess didn't think I was a threat to mysel or anyone else. Went home and ate a bowl of mushroom soup and some pringles, had super sex with my wife, and went to sleep. Thought my legs would be killing me this morning. But for a slight twinge of pain I'm doing quite fine. Which brings me to the topic: Has anyone else ever ran drunk before?

IP: Logged

grobelnyj
posted Apr-11-2006 11:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for grobelnyj   Click Here to Email grobelnyj     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Quite a tale, here's mine:

I did run once when I was not quite sober, not quite drunk, and not quite yet hungover, if you can understand this state. I had a six pack of Yuengling Lager pounders followed by a few bottles of Miller Lite at a bar. At about 12:30 a.m. I was, well, assaulted and battered by a guy whose ex-girlfriend I was hitting on. In my defense, she came up to ME and hugged me and started the whole thing. Now, there was a history between the both of us and, truth be told, she dated me before she dated the jealous ex-boyfriend. To make matters worse, we all work in the same building. So, he sees the two of us talking and I may or may not have had my arm around her waste - this has been a bone of contention - and, like a tornado, comes flying out of the back room of this bar, grabs me by the lapels of my coat, slams me up against a wall screaming, "I'm going to kill you!" In the process, the girl is knocked to the floor and the packed bar is now focused on us. He took off out the door and we paid our bill and left. We went back to her place and the ex comes by .

Now, her ex is a former D1 football player who is about 6'4, 250 and I'm about 5'8 150 soaking wet - so I was a bit overmatched. He comes rolling by her place, uses his key to get in, and I'm thinking, "He's going to kill me. I need to find something to hit him with." To make a long story short, she called the cops, he left, and I stayed the night, sleeping for about 2 hours total. I got up the next day, took her to get her car, and then ran 7 miles, feeling amazing in my hazy state. I suppose I was running purely on adrenaline, but it was great.

[As a prologue, I rode the wave with this girl for a few months and then she went back to the assaulter ex-boyfriend. Go figure. But she was a little too 'unstable' for me to begin with.]

And I do apologize for my self-indulgence.

------------------
JJJ

[This message has been edited by grobelnyj (edited Apr-11-2006).]

TheMountaineer
Cool Runner
posted Apr-11-2006 12:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheMountaineer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Haha,
those are both classic stories!
I've never ran drunk (yet)!

I ran on adrenlin once and beat my PR by a minute.

Dan

------------------
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize.
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

My User Profile
My Climbing Photos

runlifer08
Cool Runner
posted Apr-11-2006 01:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runlifer08   Click Here to Email runlifer08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
nice! ya we did a "alcoholic mile". you take 4 shots b4 it starts and wait about 30min. then you start and every lap you take another one. by the time we finished i ran about 2miles w/ swerving and whatnot!

mrbill
Cool Runner
posted Apr-12-2006 06:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mrbill   Click Here to Email mrbill     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
These are some funny stories

ne More Mile

mrbill

GSRunner27
posted Apr-12-2006 09:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GSRunner27     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The Alcoholic Mile seems like my type of drinking game...combining my two favorite things, lol

I myself have never run extremely far drunk...I'm in college, and we have this tradition where every year, in November, we all jump in the campus lake. It's my favorite event ever...but it's freezing. I was wasted when I did it this year, and we got out and basically sprinted clear across campus (probably like 3/4 of a mile, our campus is huge) It was a good time, but I doubt I'd be able to do that sober.

I've also run just from the bus stop to my apartment, because it was freezing out and I wanted to be inside...but no serious running while drunk ever, lol...

My friend, when he is hungover, he gets up and goes for a 3-4 mile run, then comes back, eats showers and says he feels so much better...I told him I'd try it next time I get hungover, but usually I don't, so I haven't had a chance to try it myself.

rethin
posted Apr-12-2006 11:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rethin   Click Here to Email rethin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
On!On!

TrailOBite
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 08:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TrailOBite   Click Here to Email TrailOBite     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Down Down and On On! Hashers get it done!

The hardest part for me is laughing so hard when I run.(hash
runs). Hashers are drinkers with a running problem!

cadburyegg
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 10:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cadburyegg   Click Here to Email cadburyegg     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
okay, I have done it too...
it was after my husband, who then was my boyfriend... came home from the bar.. I wanted "some" and he fell asleep...
(That always used to make me mad... now I am getting older, its fine... but then...you know?)
he fell asleep, so I decided to go running...
no bra...
just a t shirt, and pajama pants...
I amazed myself, that it wasnt the "worst" run, I ever had...small town, luckly nobody saw me...
(I understand the not quite drunk, not sober, not quite hungover state...... I have ran a few of those...) you know when you get SOO drunk the night before, you wake up drunk, still.... I have ran in that state... oddly, I have had worse runs on nice days, where I was sober as a judge...
(maybe thats just me)

(I am glad to know I am not the only one....)

AMINAL
posted Apr-19-2006 11:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AMINAL     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i had to run from the police after throwing a rock through some a-hole's window because he stole the tapper from my friend's party.

got away, but still had to pay $50 for the window or they would turn me in.

i don't plan to drunk run this way ever again.

brianmcg123
Cool Runner
posted Apr-20-2006 09:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for brianmcg123   Click Here to Email brianmcg123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
How about some drunk cycling:

http://www.digave.com/videos/b-web.mpg

Caution dial up users this takes a few minutes to upload on DSL or Cable. Fun to watch though.

Viich
Cool Runner
posted Apr-20-2006 09:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Viich     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We just did the 'Beer Mile' last weekend.... chug a beer, run a mile, repeat 4 times. Penalty laps for puking.
http://www.beermile.com

------------------
Craig
Craig's Log

brianmcg123
Cool Runner
posted Apr-20-2006 01:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for brianmcg123   Click Here to Email brianmcg123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viich:
We just did the 'Beer Mile' last weekend.... chug a beer, run a mile, repeat 4 times. Penalty laps for puking.

Only one mile. Wankers. You should do the Beer Marathon. Now that would be something to watch. Drink a beer after every mile. Last one standing wins.

TrailOBite
Cool Runner
posted Apr-20-2006 03:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TrailOBite   Click Here to Email TrailOBite     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Doin' a hash run tonight! On 420,no less......

and it is 72 degrees,ya-freakin-HOO!

Mpls
posted Apr-20-2006 11:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mpls     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Save cab money. Run home. My motto.

runnerparris
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 01:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for runnerparris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrailOBite:
Down Down and On On! Hashers get it done!

The hardest part for me is laughing so hard when I run.(hash
runs). Hashers are drinkers with a running problem!

Here in so cal the Hash house Harriers have a red dress run once a year in San Diego. Everybody runs in a red dress regardless of sex, and there is plenty of drinking along the way. I've always wanted to do it, but now it is restircted to members only...bummer!!

------------------
My Profile

Viich
Cool Runner
posted Apr-21-2006 06:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Viich     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brianmcg123:
Only one mile. Wankers. You should do the Beer Marathon. Now that would be something to watch. Drink a beer after every mile. Last one standing wins.

Hey, you should have seen it... two guys sub-8 min. (I wasn't one of them.)

Professor
Cool Runner
posted Apr-26-2006 07:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Professor     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viich:

what's really funny is watching non-runners try to do it...our guy's xc team did a beer mile and invited two cheerleaders, who were a "team" (one ran, the other drank) and they still came in dead last.

------------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Finally i have a profile!
http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=Professor

speedrun
posted Apr-30-2006 08:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for speedrun   Click Here to Email speedrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Have you ever done the 'naked drunken mile'. Me and some of my friends did it after our victory in State track. We were celebrating our victory, had a little too many drinks, and some said let run a naked mile. Well we did, and luckily it was like 2am and nobody saw us.

jb60467
Cool Runner
posted May-01-2006 10:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jb60467     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This past weekend, at the Nashville Marathon 1/2 Marathon, we ran through a residential area. There was a guy who was hanging out at the end of his driveway, watching the race. The kicker - he was offering SHOTS to the runners. Jack Daniels and some other bottle of gosh knows what!

I thought it was hysterical. Especially when a guy running behind me stopped to partake. It was like at mile 5. I would have been hurling - but I thought it was very nice and funny of the guy to be so hospitable! Made me wonder how many others took him up on the offer.

thickasabrick37
Cool Runner
posted May-04-2006 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for thickasabrick37   Click Here to Email thickasabrick37     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OK, it was college, late 80s.

My rugby team had an "extra" day of training scheduled; basically a 3 mile run, followed by some sprints.

My roomate, our Eight Man, and I got out of class early, retired to a local deli for cheap afternoon beers (Momma Goldbergs, if anybody here went to Auburn) and forgot all about the running for an hour or two. Moderately drunk, we would not have gone except the deli was across the street from the rugby pitch and someone noticed my buddy's car, a distinctively dented old Honda in an ungodly shade of green.

They hauled us out, propped us up and sent us on the run with the more-or-less sober folks. My roommate made it nearly a mile before he threw up. I made the full 3, then yakked during the sprints.

Then entire team then retired to Momma G's for more beer.

Jay

------------------
The artist formerly known as thickasabrick.

"If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough." - Jerry Price

NeverStop
posted May-05-2006 09:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for NeverStop   Click Here to Email NeverStop     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a bunch of friends into hashing, which is basically drunk running. They love it, I don't know if I could do it though! Maybe one day.

KudzuRunner
Cool Runner
posted May-05-2006 12:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KudzuRunner   Click Here to Email KudzuRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For 16 years I lived at the northernmost point on Manhattan Island, just off 218th Street, on Seaman Avenue. The Thirteenth Mile, I used to call it.

My regular run--I'd devolved into a jogger in those days, after lots of racing in my early 20s--was a 3-mile jog up into Inwood Hill Park, around under the Henry Hudson Bridge, down across a little bridge, and then back along the Hudson River past the ballfields, left on Dyckman Street, and home on Broadway. I'd finish up on an uphill rise past the Columbia football field--Lawrence Wein Stadium--and that was my run.

At a certain point some developer got the idea of putting a little cafe in the world's least likely spot--and yet a perfect spot--on Dyckman Street right on the river. Several hundred years ago, it turns out, this spot was the location of an early ferry over, and was known as Tubby Hook. There had been a weird little boatyard there for a long time, but suddenly there was this unlikely little cafe.

The neighborhood was mostly Dominican, and pretty soon guys in their fancy cars began making this place a sort of Santo-Domingo-on-the-Hudson. It was a great scene, with loud music.

Long story short, several times during my runs I brought along a few bucks and paused, about 20 minutes into an easy jog, to buy a can of Heinecken and sit at a little table out there on the water--plastic tables, very informal, nobody thought anything of a guy in running clothes--and put it down. Maybe a 5-10 minute break.

Then I'd jog home, under the mulberry trees with their sweet purple/white berries and smell. We're talking May or June, before dusk.

I'm not a big one for drunk running, but I will say that the combination of easy recovery aerobicization and one good cold Heinecken and a fragrant spring dusk is one heck of a euphoria. A very sweet vibe. Add in the salsa blaring from the cars with their hatchbacks up. It's like my mind--thoughts of all kinds--had been turned off and I was just some slightly giddy running animal without a thought in its head, cruising home.

I plan to explore the run/beer phenomenon further, at some point down the line.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: