Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Best Running films

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best Running films
mullac14
posted Feb-22-2006 02:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mullac14   Click Here to Email mullac14     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What is your favourite running movie?

Is it the corny ones where good always wins or is the ones where you see hard work through the film as it follows all the athletesí paths to the one race?

I will compile a list of the forums favourite running films. I films must be feature length films and not just be footage of previous Olympics ect.

-=How to Vote=-

All you need to say is the film's title and a reason why! Thats all that qualifies a vote!

-=Top Running Films=-

1. Saint Ralph: 3 votes
2. Jericho Mile: 2 votes
3. Chariots of Fire: 1 vote
4. Running on the Sun: 1 vote
5. Prefontaine: 1 vote
6. On the Edge: 1 vote

-=Reviews of the Films=-

-Chariots of Fire-

> Director: Hugh Hudson
> Year released: 1981
> Distance of the main race: 100m- 400m (short distance)

-Running on the Sun-

> Director: Mel Stuart
>Year released: 2000
>Distance of the main race: 135 miles (ultra marathons)

-Prefontaine-

> Director: Steve James
> Year released: 1997
> Distance of the main race: 3 miles (middle distance)

-Saint Ralph-

> Director: Michael McGowan
> Year released: 2004
> Distance of the main race: Marathon (Boston)

-On the edge-

> Director: Rob Nilsson
> Year released: 1985
> Distance of the main race: 3-4 miles (trail running)

-Jericho Mile-

> Director: Michael Mann
> Year released: 1979
> Distance of the main race: 1 mile (middle distance)

-Without limits-

> Director: Robert Towne
> Year released: 1998
> Distance of the main race: 3 miles (middle distance)

thanks for the votes!

[This message has been edited by mullac14 (edited Feb-24-2006).]

IP: Logged

merigayle
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 06:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for merigayle   Click Here to Email merigayle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The best 2 I have seen are Running on the Sun- a documentary about Badwater 135 mile race. And Prefontaine, about Steve Prefontaine and his life and success and demons.

cadburyegg
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 08:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cadburyegg   Click Here to Email cadburyegg     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
believe it or not, I really liked St. Ralph.
its about a young boy who wants to bring his mom out of a coma... because everybody said it would take a miracle...
so he thinks it would be a miracle if he WON the boston marathon...
I actually really really liked it.
(I wasnt sure I would)

rosecoloredglasses
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 10:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rosecoloredglasses     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Although folks put it down for its technical flaws, we (three of us runners, one walker) all thoroughly enjoyed "St. Ralph".

I loved the fantasy scenes with Santa Claus...

Steve K
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 11:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Steve K   Click Here to Email Steve K     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
On The Edge w/ Bruce Dern - don't recall all the rest of particulars. It's about a competitive runner who was banded from competition because he cashed airline tickets for money (against the rules at the time). Some twenty years later he comes back home to run the local trail race (Dipsea) and basically wins. I thought it was a good film. It got me interested in running trails.

Steve K

------------------
My Profile

bruced
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 12:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bruced   Click Here to Email bruced     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There's one called the Jerico Mile where an inmate must train under limiting circumstances and breaks his personal record in front of the other inmates. It's meant to be inspirational, but reminded me a little of Rocky.

randymar
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 01:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for randymar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Another vote for "Jericho Mile" - I have 2, count 'em, 2 VHS's.

Totally Old Skool: Short shorts, knee socks, lowrider Keds. Stopwatch.

FIlmed on location at Folsom prison.

Peter Strauss's 'stache and long hair remind me of someone from the 70's ... gee, I wonder who???

Overview: Peter Strauss is Larry "Rain" Murphy, a man serving a life sentence in Folsom Prison for killing his father. He finds his passion in running to escape his hopeless life he must lead and to free himself from the inmate tensions and power struggles. Murphy is then given a chance to train for the Olympics, a chance at glory, a chance at freedom. This dream comes to be known as the "Jericho Mile" as Rain Murphy trains and races to bring the walls of Folsom Prison tumbling down. With daily running, time trials, training with the college coach, the qualifying race, and the solo race finale you get a variety of running action packed into a realistic prision environment. This film goes beyond running with a wide variety of themes including personal sacrifice, friendship, racism, corruption, and violence.

Quotes:
"That man is out there on a regular basis; day in, day out, week in, week out, apparently running close to a four minute mile." ~ Counselor to Warden

"Without me coaching you, without Captain Midnight filling your hoochy soul with funky inspiration, how are you going to be champion?" ~ Stiles to Murphy

"I'll run, if you want me to run, I'll run; but you have to give me what I want." ~ Murphy to Warden

"I'm going to grab the lead and hang onto it." ~ Murphy to Coach

"You are running a game down on us. Before breakfast, before you finished breakfast, you decided I am not running in your race." ~ Murphy to the Board

Cast and Crew: Director Michael Mann (Thief, Manhunter, Heat, The Insider), is a runner himself, who was a student of Londonís International Film School. This was his first motion picture in a career that continues after three decades behind the camera. Mann adapted the orignal story by Patrick J. Nolan to create the screenplay. At age 32, lead actor Peter Strauss joined up with UCLA coach Jim Bush to prepare for his running role. It has been reported that Strauss got into condition to run a 4:30 mile and many of the runners who appear in this film were locals: Bob Deis, who lowered his mile time to 4:03 at Fresno State, Rick Denisik, who ran 4:06 for Sacramento State, and Adam Ferriea, a sub-2:20 marathon runner. All these athletes were done with their college eligibility at the time of filming and are not officially recognized in the credits of this film. The inmates that you see providing supporting roles and as extras were actually serving time at this facility.

Location: When most people think of the Folsom Prison they think of Johnny Cash singing "Folsom Prison Blues", written in 1956, and later recorded live at this prison in 1968. This film was shot entirely on location in the Prison which opened in 1880 as a maximum security facility and is the second oldest of the 33 prison facilities currently in operation in California. The track that was built within the five general population cell blocks for this film is still in use today, although a baseball diamond now shares the infield. The stone cells Murphy lived measure 4 feet by 8 feet and still use the cell doors that were made in the 1940s.

Additional Notes: This made for TV drama was originally broadcast March 18, 1979 by ABC and was later released on video cassette by several sources. The running scenes were shot silently and later the breathing and footstrikes were mixed into the soundtrack. The mile distance that they race in this film has never been contested in the modern Olympic Games; instead the 1500 meter distance is run. In Europe, this 95-minute film was released in the theater and the musical scores are different depending on the release with Jimmie Haskell obtaining TV credit and James Di Pasquale tackling the theatrical version. In additon, the Rolling Stones appear with "Sympathy for the Devil" where Keith Richards plays an excellect lead guitar solo (he also plays the bass on this song) that many teams use as a "warm-up song" before competition.

------------------
Life is Short ... Make Fun of It.

400 Beers

bruno28
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 01:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bruno28     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Cadburyegg and rosecoloredglasses--good for you guys. I got a kick out of this film too! About a month and a half ago someone started a thread just like this one and I got shredded for saying I liked it, but I can't help it I found it entertaining. I really liked the whole him following the advice of a running book author that went insane parts.

ellef
Cool Runner
posted Feb-23-2006 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ellef     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I liked Without Limits. Billy Crudup as Steve Prefontaine from when he started at University of Oregon to the Munich Olympics to his death.

mullac14
posted Feb-24-2006 01:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mullac14   Click Here to Email mullac14     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
just updated i!

i made t easier to vote aswell i will be updating it and making it more useful to other runners shortly!

Dave26point2
Cool Runner
posted Mar-01-2006 12:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave26point2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Y'all got it all wrong. Best running movie bar none is Meatballs! The"Woody the Wabbit" speech from Bill Murray; his innovative coaching techniques for the outcast, loner camper. Then the race itself is a trailrunning duel against the sneering, preppy, Aryan from Camp Mowhawk.....Awesome.

------------------
Imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light. -Tyler Durden

Zapatista
Cool Runner
posted Mar-01-2006 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Zapatista     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

pendulum
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 05:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pendulum   Click Here to Email pendulum     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll have to get back to you on that one as you've just given me a to-watch list for the next month

PerfesserR
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PerfesserR     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mullac14:
What is your favourite running movie?

I've heard that "Race for the Soul", about Western States 100, is pretty good, I've never seen it. Anyone?

PacerChris
Cool Runner
posted Mar-17-2006 09:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PacerChris   Click Here to Email PacerChris     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm going to echo Dave26point2's vote - Meatballs is the best running movie and on a short list of great all-time movies ever made. The Aryan comment made me laugh too - that dude looked like the guy they always show lighting the torch at the Munich Olympics.

Another running movie I saw once was Running Brave about Billy Mills (starring Robby benson) - saw it years ago and didn't know much about Billy Mills. I don't recall the movie being spectacular, but Billy Mills' story is pretty awesome. If you buy "And The Crowd Goes Wild" book & CD that tells stories behind great moments in sports, the radio call of Mills winning the 10,000 in Tokyo is pretty cool.

------------------
Pacer Dude

jakey
Cool Runner
posted Mar-17-2006 10:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakey   Click Here to Email jakey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'll nominate "The Terry Fox Story" for us canadians.

Interestingly, Chris Makepeace, who played Rudy in Meatballs, played Terry's brother Darryl in the made for tv movie about Terry's attempted run across Canada.

Deco
Cool Runner
posted Mar-22-2006 08:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Deco     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Like Zapatista, I'd have to go for "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". Great film... with no Hollywood schmaltz thrown in.

I preferred "Without Limits" to "Prefontaine" due to Crudup's fine performance.

What about Dustin Hoffman in "Marathon Man" for Raspberry Award for Worst Actor in a Running Role. I mean, I thought this guy was supposed to be a method actor?

"Is it safe?"

brianmcg123
Cool Runner
posted Mar-22-2006 01:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for brianmcg123   Click Here to Email brianmcg123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Forrest Gump.

"Run, Forrest, Run!!"

henrydavidhall
Cool Runner
posted Mar-22-2006 01:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for henrydavidhall   Click Here to Email henrydavidhall     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Wasn't there some si-fi with Chuckie Heston (The Running Man??) where he had to run to some western state to win the right to own some land. He had to win cuz is SO was pregnant and unless he had his own land, the gov't would have the baby aborted.

Not really a "running" flick like the others mentioned, though.

Do I remember it right??

runlifer08
Cool Runner
posted Mar-22-2006 09:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runlifer08   Click Here to Email runlifer08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
prefontaine was the best of the three pre movies...it was intertaining and more accurate than without limits

Teatime
Cool Runner
posted Mar-23-2006 01:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Teatime   Click Here to Email Teatime     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I saw an interesting movie about Roger Bannister's first sub-4 mile.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/3/3_1/roger-bannisters-big-day-.shtml

scottgw1
posted Mar-23-2006 02:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for scottgw1   Click Here to Email scottgw1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
MEATBALLS! it's a classic and a great underdog story. It also provides one of the greatest mantras of all time: "IT Just Doesn't Matter".

But for a true running movie I really liked 4 minutes. It was an ESPN original about Roger Bannister. now if they would only make a movie about the classic battle between bannister and John Landy, that would be SWEET!

randymar
Cool Runner
posted Mar-23-2006 03:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for randymar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Is it me or did the actors in "4 Minutes" look a little too short, fat and squat to be going for a sub-4, even in 1954???

Peter Strauss was much more convincing.

Chopped Liver
Cool Runner
posted Mar-23-2006 08:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Chopped Liver     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I remember one where Dudley Moore was the coach and he had his female athlete do wind sprints on a sandy beach. I think the movie was called "10". Probably refering to 10 seconds for the 100 meters. She must have been a sprinter, she seemed too top heavy to be a distance runner, though she could go all the way.

wkm99
Cool Runner
posted Mar-23-2006 08:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wkm99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
'Without Limits' starring Billy Crudup.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: