Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Who wears short-shorts...

Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Who wears short-shorts...
Steph679
posted Mar-11-2006 06:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Steph679     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm female and I have cellulite and broken veins so I do not wear short shorts. I wish I could since I'm sure they would be a lot more comfortable. I consider myself a runner albeit a slow one.

IP: Logged

Sassafrassa
Cool Runner
posted Mar-14-2006 05:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sassafrassa   Click Here to Email Sassafrassa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a woman who finds ladies shorts WAY too short. I'm tall, and I don't like a skimpy little short that doesn't cover enough, and is too short in the, um, stride. Very uncomfortable

I like to wear men's shorts, my favorite right now is Brooks Revalation Pacer. Longer than short-shorts, but not down to your knees. Works well on me cause I'm long waisted, and sits nicely at the top of my hips. Very comfortable too!

I do, however, really like the running skirts that are coming out. Very cute--and they cover a bit more than shorts. Thinking about trying them out.

Sassa

------------------
Running in the moment.
My Profile

ravenrunner77
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2006 01:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ravenrunner77     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i just bought my husband a pair of splits and he is 6'4" and they are hella short...i was so proud of him though cuz he could care less what other people think so he'll be wearing them...women appreciate when men let us experiment with their wardrobe..hee hee

jellybean567
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2006 09:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jellybean567   Click Here to Email jellybean567     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear short shorts! I can't stand too-long shorts. They get in the way and ride up too much!

ivo
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2006 09:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ivo   Click Here to Email ivo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i wear short shorts all the time, but have only 1 split pair and it's not used much lately (because I don't feel fast enough)

people honk at me while I run, and when I'm done and go to a store to buy groceries I scare kids and get funny comments by the more outspoken ladies.

i even wear short shorts in the gym too (never splits though) but alternate with baggy longer ones every once in a while, especially if I plan to squat

long shorts are ridiculous on runners

SportiGrl
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2006 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SportiGrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
maryt ... the boys on swim teams around here are wearing a lot of 'jammers' ... basically a mid-thigh running tight lycra get-up ...

I normally wear one of the few pairs of nike running shorts with the built in liner or a pair of those old fashioned cotton athletic shorts with only a 2"-3" inseam .. a lot of the girls in schools are wearing those again but rolling down the waist- some are even made with the elastic waist already rolled and sewed, haha ...

dg12
Cool Runner
posted Mar-16-2006 11:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dg12   Click Here to Email dg12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LindsayB:

I'm a chick so I may not count but...

Lindsay, you're the only one that counts along with any other LADIES.

I see some guys at the races and it seems they want some kinda attention.

Gals on the other hand look lovely.

kmmand
Cool Runner
posted Mar-17-2006 02:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kmmand   Click Here to Email kmmand     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
LOL! I've been thinking about this recently as I just took up running again after a long break. I've been wearing some long, lightweight running pants in the cool weather (I'm not too fast), but I've been worrying about the split shorts. I know my husband would have a cow if I tried to go out in those! I remember in high school in the 80's I was on the JV xc team and we had these HORRIBLE uniforms which were a kind of thick polyester in lovely baby blue. The shorts were really tight and scratchy and the tops were short sleeved and really heavy. They were impossible to run in. Thank goodness when we moved up to varsity, we got singlets and split shorts!

I think I will probably wear lycra/spandex shorts, and a big t-shirt, at least for a while!

Kathy

Arrojo
Cool Runner
posted Mar-17-2006 03:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Arrojo   Click Here to Email Arrojo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you got good legs, go for it. I may be old, but I gots nice legs (or so the ladies tell me). 3" inseam for me.

chb
posted Mar-31-2006 01:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear short shorts as soon as the temperature's a bit above freezing. It makes me feel like a proper runner which is important for positive motivation; it encourages me not to start walking, and it feels great. Sorry about the looks though.

albatross
Cool Runner
posted Mar-31-2006 02:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for albatross   Click Here to Email albatross     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I get a lot of ribbing for wearing running shorts, but how the hell are you supposed to run fast in long beach shorts! I reckon they would put 30seconds on a 5k, they would for me anyway.

I guess it all depends on what you are comfortable wearing, bearing in mind that you are RUNNING and striving to be the best you can be, not sat around at a BBQ.

BTW nothing to me is more ridiculous than someone wearing spandex who shouldn't. unless you are lean and muscular with decent skeletal form then stay away! spandex is a privilege and not a right!

GeekRunner
Cool Runner
posted Mar-31-2006 09:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for GeekRunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wear short shorts so I can wear a miniskirt after a long run without having any funny tan lines.

run50
Cool Runner
posted Apr-06-2006 08:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for run50     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Shrot shorts! Elite splits for me. By the way, when its cold out, Super Heros wear tights!

smak3030
Cool Runner
posted Apr-06-2006 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for smak3030     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
4" inseam is my minimun and all that I wear when I run.

alotofme
Cool Runner
posted Apr-07-2006 02:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alotofme     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by runlifer08:
WE WEARS SHORT-SHORTS!!! Who here is a guy who wears short shorts!?!?! I've been called many a name, but come on it's all part of the running spirit!

Funny seing this here i just posted a simular quesiton on the general forum

i love my "splits" im 220 in decent shape but not 18 years old kind of thing

there hard to find I found them at marathon sports in boston made by nike and i love the freedom. they bunch up in the crotch on a sweaty run and for those of us with smallish peckers the outlining is a bit embarrasing.....just makes me run fasteer

seriously the longer shorts sort of drag against your leg as your running.....its toally annoying

I love my splits,

SWrunsea
posted Apr-13-2006 03:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SWrunsea     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I personally like the split shorts. I have worn the 3/4 splits for a long time. I find them to be comfortable. I do have some full split track shorts. Once in a while I get comments about my shorts. Generally by young females. I had a gal yell out from a car to say, "I can see your b*l*s", and the gals in the car laughed. Has any other runners had comments shout out at them?

Split shorts are here to stay!

Rich Lavene
Cool Runner
posted Apr-13-2006 11:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Lavene   Click Here to Email Rich Lavene     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's funny...I'm not self-conscious about my body at all. It's the fricken Hair on my body. I tried some Short-shorts on one time and a Singlet, I looked rediculous!! Just hair in formations that no one, especially on a race course who should be focusing on other things, should be exposed to. I care too much about my fellow runner to expose them to this travesty.

I will keep my short sleeve tight shirts, and my baggy pants, not quite to the knee. You'll thank me, and I'll feel better.

Anybody in Splits want to race, I'll give you the 30 second baggy pants handicap!!!

With love....

------------------
Rich Lavene
Look! It's Ritchie! eh, nobody cares!

runbyday
posted Jan-11-2007 09:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runbyday   Click Here to Email runbyday     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have been a runner for several years and have tried different types of running shorts and found that split leg short shorts were the best running shorts to wear. I prefer full split sides and the shortest length I can get. BOA elite splits are so far the best(shortest) running shorts I can buy. There is no doubt that short shorts shorten your running time and make the run as comfortable as possible. You stay cooler in short shorts that maximize thigh exposure. If its warmer than 40 degrees I run in split leg short shorts.

ljwoodw
Cool Runner
posted Jan-11-2007 11:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ljwoodw     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Splits are the way to go. The first time I put them on it felt a little strange, but I got used to it pretty fast. In parts of the country where people actually run, splits look far less ridiculous than long shorts.

I did make the mistake once of not taking a runner very seriously because he was wearing compression shorts underneath a split. He passed me after one mile of a 5K en route to winning in 15:52.

quote:
Originally posted by dg12:

I see some guys at the races and it seems they want some kinda attention.

Gals on the other hand look lovely.

Sorry, this deserves a flame...

Grow up.

------------------
My Profile <---picture of ljwoodw wearing short shorts

[This message has been edited by ljwoodw (edited Jan-11-2007).]

rolling1977
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 10:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rolling1977     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's just my two cents, but I think that I, and most men, look bad in short shorts. Not because of their physical attributes, but because it seems like a cry for attention (if it's done intentionally). Well, okay, it does look bad, physically, too.

Women can get away with wearing anything, from my view.

I, of course, wear longer shorts, and still look bad.......

------------------
Jimmy Legs

nc2714
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 11:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for nc2714   Click Here to Email nc2714     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just wear basketball shorts that are alittle smaller than I would wear casually then they don't feel too big but in races I'll wear the tradition short running shorts.

billyharless
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 11:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for billyharless   Click Here to Email billyharless     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Manly shorts or sweat pants only here. O yeah, I have hairy legs too!

------------------
My Profile

My Running Blog

lioness1
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 02:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lioness1   Click Here to Email lioness1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most would say I'm reasonably lean, but I feel too self-conscious in very short shorts--I think it's more my age than my size, but I've seen other women my age (56) and older in "bun huggers," so just me, I guess....

I have a very lightweight pair of trail shorts that are a little on the longer side but definitely not what you'd call baggy--they're my most comfy shorts. Also have a couple slightly shorter pairs of shorts that I mostly use for racing, including one I only recently bought at a race expo and wore for the first time (hmm.... sounds like a song!) in an indoor track meet. At first I thought, way too short--but then remembered that I wear a body revealing speedo suit for masters swim practice, so what the heck!

But generally speaking, I go for the more modest length for myself.

As for what others should wear, it doesn't matter a lot to me. Wear whatever feels most comfy to run in. If someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to wear it!

WI MTP
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 03:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for WI MTP     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://www.raceready.com/men/shorts.html

I am not sure how short is short, but here is where I get my race shorts from. Of course the split cut 1 inch inseam does work for a Pig like me - I go with the V-Notch 3 inch inseam.

CippyCup
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2007 06:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CippyCup   Click Here to Email CippyCup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well in my opinion i always tell ppl one of 2 things 1."it takes a man to get into these shorts." and the second is a story that my CC coach told me when we got our team shorts "The first time that we ever had short shorts, a runner tried them on at practice. He said this "it feels like we aren't wearing anything! I LIKE IT!!!". So I am not ashamed of wearing my shorts and besides the ladies don't mind either.

------------------
Earn your shower, run an hour.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 4 pages:
1 2 3 4
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: