Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Watch battery replacement

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Watch battery replacement
swofford
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2005 09:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for swofford   Click Here to Email swofford     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a Timex Ironman watch, and just yesterday it seems the battery went dead.

Every time I take a water-resistant watch in to have its battery replaced, it's always to a place that can't do the change in-house. They have to send it out and that takes extra time.

There must be a place I can take this watch that can do the replacement on the spot. Where do you take yours?

Thanks!

------------------
Jen
Web site

IP: Logged

KatieLyn
Cool Runner
posted Oct-18-2005 12:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KatieLyn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just had the battery replaced in my Timex Ironman at Target. They did it right on the spot. If they ask you if you bought it there, say yes because otherwise they won't replace it even though the sell them.

rundadrun
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 01:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rundadrun     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had mine replaced at the Dakota watch kiosk at the local mall. It's a G-Shock, and they told me they can't guarantee it to still be waterproof after opening. It does get a small fog spot in extreme cold weather now, so maybe it is best to send it in. They may be better able to do the job without losing the watertight seal. Good luck.

------------------
That which doesn't kill you will probably only hurt REAL bad.

srogan
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 06:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for srogan   Click Here to Email srogan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We just replaced the battery in my husband's watch at Target. She took the whole strap off in order to replace the battery and couldn't get it back on right. After over 30 minutes and 2 different people working on it, the pin still isn't on it correctly.

So I geuss Target will do it but we won't be taking his back there next time.

javaangel25
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 09:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for javaangel25   Click Here to Email javaangel25     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We have the same problem with my husband's timex. We had to buy a new one this weekend before a race because the only place that could fix it was JC Penneys but the guy wouldn't be in until 5:30 and we were getting on the road at 4:30 - so if your local Penneys has a watch repair they can fix it. I know with my husband's watch has a tricky back to take off so a lot of places need to work on it over night.

srogan
Cool Runner
posted Oct-25-2005 03:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for srogan   Click Here to Email srogan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the heads up on Penneys. I'll check them out this weekend. Figured we'd have to find a watch repair/jewelry store of some sort so maybe we'll start there. Lot of bother for a $4 battery.

patrickb151
Cool Runner
posted Oct-25-2005 03:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for patrickb151     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've taken my Timex Speed and Distance watch to Target too, and helped the woman change the battery because she had never done it before.

We worked on it together and got it changed with no problem.

chatt runner
posted Oct-25-2005 03:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chatt runner   Click Here to Email chatt runner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

i got my watch battery replaced at wal-mart, believe it or not!! and the person was very knowledgeable and competent!!

ussoccer
Cool Runner
posted Oct-26-2005 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ussoccer   Click Here to Email ussoccer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I replaced the battery myself in my Ironman watches over the years. Unless your particular model is different than mine, replacing the battery is quite simple -- but it also requires a steady hand and a tiny Phillips head screw driver.

And if you replace the battery yourself, you will be treated to a little bonus (but you have to read on to see what the bonus is).

Battery Replacement:

1. Unscrew and remove four screws on back of watch. (Depending on your model, you may have to take the watch band off. Also, you could simply remove 3 screws completely and one just unscrew halfway so that you can pivot off the watch backing plate... that's what I do.)

2. Remove Watch Backing Plate (or pivot off if you just unscrewed three and loosened one).

3. Unscrew the three (or four, depending on your model) screws holding the Battery Brace. (Or completely unscrew two while only loosening the brace enough to pivot off. Don't worry about mixing these screws with the Backing Plate ones, as these are noticeably smaller).

4. Peal the Battery off the undercarriage of the Battery Brace.
Once you remove (or pivot off) the Battery Brace, you'll see the battery stuck with a sticky tape-like material to it; merely "peal" off the battery.

5. Get New Battery. The dead battery you took out of the watch has numbers on the back. Bring it with you to a drug store (or where ever you go for batteries) and get a battery with the same numbers. A drug store will do, as most watch batteries are fairly standard.

6. Replace Battery. Replace battery reverse of the way you took the dead one out.

7. Put it all Back Together.

BONUS:

As soon as you replace the battery (stick it on the Battery Brace) and screw the Battery Brace into its original seat, either quickly flip the watch over and look at the read-out OR hit the reset switch (the reset switch is a metal contact "finger" that can be pressed to touch another piece of metal).

On the read-out you will see the watch go through a Power On routine that it does the very first time it is powered on. Check it out. It's pretty cool. You'll see credits scroll past. A dancing deer. And a whole bunch of other goodies.

chele519
Cool Runner
posted Oct-30-2005 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chele519     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've had batteries replaced at the jewelers before on a Timex. After that it wouldn't work again. The walmart in my area won't do the sports watches such as the speed & distance watch. My Timex was dead this morning and I found the instructions on Timex's site, got the battery and installed it myself. Used it on a 5 mile run and it works fine.

jt12321
posted May-23-2007 08:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jt12321     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Last night, I paid $15 plus tax to have some hack at a Dakota kiosk in the Galleria Mall near Buffalo Niagra airport, to put a new battery in my 30 lap Timex Ironman watch. After "certifying" it's still waterproof, he gave me back my watch. While setting everything the way I like, I noticed the watch wasn't making any more sounds. You could very faintly hear beeps and alarms, but nothing nearly loud enough to be useful. I'm talking less than 5% of the volume it should have. Thanks to ussoccer's instructions, I took apart and reassembled my watch, and guess what - it works perfectly. That kiosk guy just didn't tighten the stuff inside my watch. Amazing that I paid over $17 with tax for a crap job that I could have done on my own with a $5 battery from Radio Shack.

Clams
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Clams     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've replaced numerous batteries on my Ironman watches, my wife's Ironman (Ironwoman?) watch and HRM watch, and even my son's Scooby Doo watch. Just open it up (a tiny screwdriver, like the kind that you use for the little screws on eyeglasses, is needed. Take out the old battery and buy a replacement at a pharmacy for $2 or $3, stick it in and screw it back together. Mine all work fine, they're waterproof, the beeps work, looks and fits OK. Very easy.

ForceD
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2007 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ForceD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
http://www.zetatalk.com/info/tinfo17p.htm

I found directions at this link you can use for changing watch batteries. It really isn't that difficult. Like Clams said...all you need is a jeweler's screwdriver to get the small screws out that hold the caseback on. You can do it.

nuuk
posted Jun-18-2007 01:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nuuk     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I know a lot of people are posting about replacing your batteries, but I have had nothing but issues when it comes to my Timex "Body Link Speed and Distance." There are a couple models out there, but any store I have gone to will not even touch it when I pull it out and start to hand it to them. It is like I have a rattle snake in my hand. I have called Jewelers that said, yeah we can do it. Once I get there they will not touch the thing. I hear of people taking them to Target and having it changed in this post. I will be danged if I want to deal with a young kid messing up my watch that I use for training every day. This is not a $20 watch.

I have a good friend that will replace it for me, but he uses a special machine in his jewelry shop and he will not do it for his normal customer's.

The best thing to do is send it back to Timex. They will replace it and warranty it for 6 months for $10. That includes the shipping back to you as well.

HotLine Watch
PO Box 2740
Little Rock AR 72203

Verify the address on Timex website to make sure it has not changed as of today it is correct.

Trust me at least the Body Link I have is not as easy to change as your normal watch. The true trick is getting it back together and getting the band back on. You cannot take off the case of this watch without taking off the band. Once the band is off you mid as well just mail it back. I am sure every now and then someone gets it on, but every now and then someone hits the lottery too.

Good Luck!

Laura Kive
posted Jun-25-2007 12:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Laura Kive   Click Here to Email Laura Kive     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Check out watchbatterycentral.com. We've been in the watch repair business for 55+ years and just launched a new site designed to bring cost effective, quality watch service to a new level of convenience. You request a box, we send you a free box with packing materials and a prepaid shipping label allowing you to send us your watch for free. We change your battery and mail it back to your door. We'll work on any watch, regardless of make/model or where you purchased it. We also carry a full line of replacement sport straps which can be difficult to find and attach.

As you can see from the comments posted, the key to replacing watch batteries in sport watches is the water resistancy. Water damage occurs from submersion and from continued exposure to sweat and humidity. Any leaks and your watch will be gone forever fast. Watches are made water resistant by a series of gaskets and seals. The only way to be sure that it is closed properly and that all of those gaskets are functioning properly is to have it pressure tested by a reliable watchmaker with the appropriate technology. No one can guarantee something is water resistant without doing that test. Hope to help you soon!

huskydon
Cool Runner
posted Jun-26-2007 08:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for huskydon   Click Here to Email huskydon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lot of good advice in this thread.

I have changed many batteries (at least a dozen) in my Timex Ironman over the years, and I think most folks would be able to do same. It is pretty daunting the first time, though I admit.

However, the battery in my Timex Ironman HRM is a different story. The watch is tiny, and that makes the battery replacement beyond my capability. I had to send it to Timex. Next time I will buy a larger model HRM if that makes the battery replacement easier.

Huskydon

lelapin
posted Oct-12-2007 03:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lelapin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just changed the battery in my Body Link watch (model T5E671F5 ) for the 2nd time. Contrary to what a poster wrote about not trusting a 20 yr old at Target, a 20 yr old may have better manual dexterity & EYESIGHT. As most people have posted, it is the BAND not the battery that causes people problems.

Hopefully helpful hint # 1 - turn a mouse pad over & use it as a work surface. It will hold the watch and protect too.

BUT, first, my experience w/ the battery. Mine has a narrow tapered clip that holds the battery. No screws holding the clip. The wide end is probably 3/8 inch and the narrow end is about 3/16 of an inch. IF yours is like this, do NOT pry it off. Never force!!! This clip comes off by pushing the WIDE end towards the middle. The narrow end will then pop off with the battery attached to it.

Replace the battery into the clip & simply push it down. It will auto-magically lock in place. If not push the battery + clip down and then push the narrow end of clip towards the center. This should lock it back in place.

THE BAND - TIMEX ones & NIKE ones and many other "sports" watches are difficult as they have bands that wrap around the body of the watch. The difficult part is getting the watch band PINS back in place. Most watch places INCLUDING Target have a special tool that looks like a tiny tuning fork. This is used to push down on one of the ridges of the PINS. This makes it much easier, but not necessary. I simply used a small jeweler's screw driver ( I used both the 1.2 mm & the 1.8 mm ones) to push down the pin and wiggle it towards the elusive hole in the case. This is where a 20 yr old Target employee w/ good manual dexterity & good eyesight comes in!!!

This is not brain surgery just difficult due to the design of sports watches & their attempts to make cooler looking designs.
I struggled w/ mine for about 15-20 minutes before both halves of th and finally popped in. I used a combination of pushing with the screwdriver and pushing VERY firmly on the band towards the body of the watch. This is where the upside down mouse pad really pays off!

I had one of those tiny tuning fork shaped tools that came w/ my replacement Nike band - find someone who has one or make one by filing a very small notch in a small , say the 2.4mm slotted jeweler's screwdriver. Unfortunately, I could not find mine, of course! The notch helps push the pin towards its home w/o the screwdriver slipping off the pin.

IF YOU CAN, remove the backing plate without removing BOTH halves of the band. Then you only have to struggle w/ just one side of band. This however makes it more difficult to replace the plate as you have to slide the plate under the band that you did NOT remove w/o disturbing the waterproofing "o-ring", so be careful.

FINAL comment, unless you are cheap like me or can't afford the down time, send it back to TIMEX as they will ensure that it is still waterproof. I have never had an issue w/ waterproofing after self replacement, but you must make sure the o-ring is in place and you screw the backing plate down tight and evenly. Tighten all 4 screws somewhat snugly, then in an X pattern, progressively tighten each screw a bit at a time. USE jeweler's screwdrivers to avoid stripping the screw heads.

UncleFred
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2007 12:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for UncleFred     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ussoccer:
On the read-out you will see the watch go through a Power On routine that it does the very first time it is powered on. Check it out. It's pretty cool. You'll see credits scroll past. A dancing deer. And a whole bunch of other goodies.

Dude, I'm going to change my battery JUST to see that!!!

------------------
Thank you for your time ...
Fred

rwscid
posted Oct-21-2007 11:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rwscid     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a 7 year old Timex Ironman Triathlon Flix. An awesome watch and one I have no desire whatsoever to replace with anything different.

I had the battery replaced successfully (a 20 year old at a mall in Xela, Guatemala) and, most recently, unsuccessfully. My local Wal-Mart sold me a battery and put it in for me. Two weeks later the watch died. I took it back (unfortunately, I paid cash for the battery at the jewelry counter, so I do not have my receipt) and the lady said there was no problem with the battery, and the watch was working once again. Hmm ... .

Two weeks later the watch died again. I took it back, the (different) lady turned it over and quickly discovered part of the thin waterproofing gasket was bulging out from the back plate. Not much of a surprise it might have gotten a bit of water inside (it actually died while I was washing my hands - mystery solved).

This time I watched as she put the watch back together. The gasket was obviously stretched out of shape, although the lady spent a lot of time making sure it stayed in place when she replaced the watch back. By the way, they didn't charge me anything on either of the two after-purchase visits, even though I had no receipt. Perhaps I look honest.

The watch lasted a couple of hours (and once again died while I was washing my hands).

I speculate the gasket needs to be replaced. It has either been stretched, twisted, nicked or damaged in some other way, probably by the first Wal-Mart employee to touch it (although the second one also put it back together with a bulging gasket).

Wal-Mart doesn't have gaskets. A quick Google search revealed nothing. I have written Timex requesting a repair quote, but will have to spend 2-4 weeks watchless, which is a little bit like waterboarding to someone like me, who relies on his watch for more than just the time of day.

I might also visit a local jeweler (a real one, not a chain store employee) to see what they have to say. And, I might just buy a new watch. Wal-Mart has them for $47, which beats Timex's web price of $70, and after sales tax is as cheap as anything I can find on the web.

The moral of this far too long tale is probably - if you change your own battery, be VERY careful with the gasket!!

Rick

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: