Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Running after Eating

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Running after Eating
Beast Mode
posted Oct-12-2005 06:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Beast Mode   Click Here to Email Beast Mode     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's a general rule of thumb not to do any hard physical activity after lunch or a meal. I've always assumed it's because you'd get a cramp. Is that the only reasoning behind it? If so, then it's not really a bad thing afterall. Cramps go away.

Anyway, I ask this because I ate a huge Chinese Food lunch at Panda Garden, about half a mile from school. When I was done eating, I left and basicly ran back to school at 60% full effort. I got a cramp, so I walked for like 5 seconds, and it left. Then I ran back to school. I figured, there's nothing really wrong with hard work after eating, other than cramps. And cramps aren't even that bad.

Is there another reason why you shouldn't do anything too active after eating?

IP: Logged

zzzinaaa
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2005 08:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zzzinaaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Huh, I run every night after I eat dinner. It doesn't bother me at all. I think it just depends on your body. Some people can run right after eating, some can't. I don't think it harms your body in any way. At least it hasn't harmed my body I don't think.

anachrotech
Cool Runner
posted Oct-12-2005 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for anachrotech     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I can't run right after eating or I will get major cramps.
Everyone's different.

------------------
fka: lzaremski
SixSense

Benj Deppman
Cool Runner
posted Oct-13-2005 05:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Benj Deppman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You'll scratch your head over this one... I have a condition known as exercise induced anaphylaxia (allergic to exercise?!?). If I eat a heavy meal and immediately engage in vigorous exercise, I break out in hives (bumps all over my body and splotches on my face and chest). In extreme cases, I've had my lips swell up and go into shock. I've also had blood pressure drop. Very weird.

I've been to allergists and MDs and they and I now have it under control. I can usually tell when it's going to hit me (pizza and pasta are the worst). Anyway, no, I don't run after eating. I usually wait four hours. Thankfully, I can tolerate gels and gus and liquids prior to and during exercise.

------------------
My User Profile

equinox marathon 43
Cool Runner
posted Oct-13-2005 10:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for equinox marathon 43   Click Here to Email equinox marathon 43     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzzinaaa:
Huh, I run every night after I eat dinner. It doesn't bother me at all. I think it just depends on your body. Some people can run right after eating, some can't. I don't think it harms your body in any way. At least it hasn't harmed my body I don't think.

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on tv), but I think zzzinaaa is right. It really depends on your body.

When I first started running, I had to eat before I ran. I would actually get cramps in my stomach if I didn't. That's just the opposite of what you'd expect.

Today, I can't run right after I eat. Today I get cramps if I try to do that.

I can eat DURING a long run (usually I'll put down a Powerbar or two on a long run), but right before the run usually makes me wish I'd never been born.

I guess the point is, it does depend on your body, and your body might change over time...like mine did.

------------------
Currenly training for the Bay State Marathon on 10/16/2005.

Lifetime entrant, bib #43, of the Equinox Marathon.

My website

My User Profile

wkm99
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 08:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wkm99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Personal preference. Do what works for you. If you can eat and run, go for it. No can do here. I cannot eat 'n run or I'm truly miserable.

I run best right out of bed at the crack of dawn while the roosters are still asleep. Then it's shower, groom and THEN I'll eat a small breakfast in that order.

I've tried running at other times after eating throughout the day. Made for one sorrowful runner. Belly ached, burped/belched, legs were strained, tired and burning. Not good.

ljwoodw
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ljwoodw     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For me it has nothing to do with cramps. i just feel like crap. Sick, slow, bloated..ugh!

zoo66
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 09:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for zoo66     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ljwoodw:
For me it has nothing to do with cramps. i just feel like crap. Sick, slow, bloated..ugh!

Ditto that for me....and if its a long run, add in diarrhea for the rest of the day.

MaD Peter
Cool Runner
posted Oct-24-2005 09:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MaD Peter   Click Here to Email MaD Peter     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm with Wood.

I also have type 1 diabetes so know a bit about the topic but all common sense stuff really.

It depends on what you eat, how much you eat, how long you wait to run after eating and of course how hard (and far you go), so guess if you eat mainly carbo (better if highish GI) food, a small helping, wait as long as you can say 45min then start out pretty slow it will be a lot easier for your body to digest, then you could pick up the pace and run long... ? also we are all different, go figure??

Pete

amadpetko
Cool Runner
posted Oct-25-2005 01:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for amadpetko   Click Here to Email amadpetko     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When you exercise, the blood moves away from your stomach to help with, in this case, your legs. Eating right before running means that you have food just sitting in your stomach while you run, and it doesn't get digested during this time. This is why some people get cramps or feel bloated. If one were to go all out after eating, then they would likely puke as when the blood comes back, the stomach wants to empty. Not pretty, but true. Everyone os different and some people are more prone to problems than others.

ElDuderino
Cool Runner
posted Oct-30-2005 02:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ElDuderino   Click Here to Email ElDuderino     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had a 10.5 mile run last Saturday, and was pretty tired in the morning as I was going out. So... I decided to have a Starbucks Double Shot, basically a small amount of espresso with lots of milk. BAD IDEA. Half a mile from the end I had to waddle to a beach bathroom to... well you get the idea .

------------------
Read This
And This
Then Listen To This
Look At Me!

Ad Alta
Cool Runner
posted Oct-30-2005 07:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ad Alta     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't get cramps... but I feel a lot more sluggish and less energetic. I always figured it was because of the food in my stomach trying to be digested while my body's resources are taxed with running.

------------------
Love, Heather

asianfury
Cool Runner
posted Oct-30-2005 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for asianfury     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I usually run in the evening, with the exception of my long runs on the weekend (even that is late morning!). I have to wait a few hrs after I eat anything, otherwise I get crampy. But everyone is different.

droper
Cool Runner
posted Nov-01-2005 12:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for droper   Click Here to Email droper     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't have any problems at all. In fact I prefer to have a little something to nibble on.
The only problem I find is that if I eat too much I get KILLER side stitches.

robdog
posted Nov-01-2005 12:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for robdog   Click Here to Email robdog     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i usually have trouble trying to eat after running where i just really don't feel like running. this is probably cause i ran BEFORE breakfast.

bsclay
posted Nov-01-2005 07:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bsclay   Click Here to Email bsclay     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Definitely whatever works for you is the way to go. I personally can eat just about anything at any time, but I know that's not how it is for most.

If it feels good...do it (also applies to other things besides food )

Ileneforward
Cool Runner
posted Nov-03-2005 11:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ileneforward     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My Mom says says to wait an hour before swimming! But she never mentioned running so I think it is okay. As long as is isn't pizza.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: