Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Best dogs to run with

Topic is 6 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Best dogs to run with
marieb99
unregistered
posted Jul-14-2004 10:16 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey all,
I'm thinking about getting a dog when I move into my new house. I would prefer one that I could take on some runs. I really love beagles, but I was hoping for some feedback from all the dog-runners.... What breeds do you run with?

IP: Logged

lablover
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 10:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lablover   Click Here to Email lablover     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a black lab (guess my user name gives it away). He is a terrific dog to run with. I can safely take him off the leash in some of my running spots and he doesn't stray far. They also require regular exercise so they are good motivators for those days you just don't feel like running.

The only thing is, some labs, like mine grow up to be a good size and on a leash they may pull at first. It took me about one to two months to train him not to pull but to keep pace with me. Other than that they are friendly, devoted and great dogs to own!

SloJan
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 10:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SloJan   Click Here to Email SloJan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I run with my Australian Shepherds. They are great running companions. They do need to be trained well though. Because they are a herding breed, they have a tendency to chase running things. You see where I am going here? Anyway, one of my Aussies is very reliable off lead and ignores everything he is supposed to. My other one, however, is a herding machine and is not to be trusted. He is usually OK with normal runners and bikers, but anything that is out of the norm and he flips into his farmdog mentality. We had a nasty event in the park recently with a big, beautiful man doing sprints and flying snap kicks. Flash saw that and couldn't contain himself. He was off! Scared me and the man and now, he is leash only.

So, if you want a dog that can run all day, but needs a job to do ( ie agility, frisbee, obedience comp), think about an Aussie.

cheers,
Jan

bwhitmini
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 10:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bwhitmini     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I grew up with a beagle and cannot imagine they would be running companions. I now have Australian Sheperds and echo all of the above! They are also beautiful creatures!
Something you need to watch when running with dogs is wear on their pads. They do not fare well on concrete and asphaslt will even wear on them after too many miles. Grass is best.
Dogs are better than mace and pepper spray!

jkanz
unregistered
posted Jul-14-2004 11:37 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The best dog to run with is one that keeps up and doesn't get under your feet

I have a border collie and she is good with regard to stamina. However, I am still trying to get her to stay in the right spot when we run. Part of that is because she is still pretty young (8 months)

Brinkerhoff
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 11:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brinkerhoff   Click Here to Email Brinkerhoff     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a vizsla I take anywhere between 4-10 miles. On longer runs I let him trot along off lead when no other people or dogs are around. That way he can stop and go as he pleases. He loves to run and is a perfect companion.

Bob 2001
posted Jul-14-2004 12:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob 2001     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My suggestion is to find a dog bred for running or herding and one that can keep up with you. My choice was the German Shepherd because of their history and character. I see runners with a variety of dogs including labs, Dobermans, and even Great Danes.

luckylily
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 03:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for luckylily     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
carolina dogs are great running buddies too...actually, any of the primitive type dogs seem to be good runners.

------------------
the hill is always with you
My Profile

dobe runner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 03:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dobe runner   Click Here to Email dobe runner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I run with a doberman. He loves getting out and I don't have to worry about anyone bothering me. I do have to let him cool down well before water due to his deep chest and he'll drink a gallon if I let him.

Hunting breeds are good for running so I would imagine a beagle would be good. They are known to wander though without a thought in their head but what they are scenting.

gatorman10
Cool Runner
posted Jul-14-2004 03:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gatorman10   Click Here to Email gatorman10     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Rhodesian Ridgeback.......

NAB1984
Cool Runner
posted Jul-15-2004 09:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for NAB1984     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have mutts and had I started them from puppyhood they would probably be great running pals. However, they are used to going on hill walks and trail walks with us so running with them is now out of the question (they are both 8 going on 9 but people are always amazed at how young they act).

My advice really is to just start them out when they are young and be careful with some purebreds because some are prone to different problems/diseases.

Dogs are such great companions! They keep you laughing. Up till I left for university the longest I didn't have a dog was 2 months If you get any form of lab (mixed or pure bred) buy some tennis balls

GOOD LUCK

Rennvogel
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 05:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rennvogel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a Dalmation. She is too old to do much running now but she used to love to run. She never would get under my feet, very well behaved. The only thing she would do is stop and take a dump, which was no big deal. I have a page about Dalmations on my website: Click on Photographs 1 and look at the bottom of the pictures.
My Web Site

[This message has been edited by Rennvogel (edited Jul-16-2004).]

JillieD
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 10:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JillieD     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
...Along with the tennis balls make sure to get a ChuckIt! Keeps your hands of the slimey ball. And you can throw so much further.

Tamblyn
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 12:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tamblyn   Click Here to Email Tamblyn     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
IMHO it depends on the frequency and length of your runs. If you are going to go regularly and run long distances (i.e. over 5 k) I would consider getting a working/hunting breed. Aussie Shepherds, border collies, harriers, foxhounds, vizlas, dalmations, german shorthaired pointers, and other similar breeds required cross country stamina for their particualr jobs and I've heard are good running/'riding companions. The downside is that some of these breeds aren't necessarily the best family pets (eg foxhounds and harriers) and all of them require lots of exercise. If you are in an area where dog sled racing is popular you may want to think about picking up a sled dog - particularly some of the pointer based "breeds" and I use the term breed lightly. They're mangy muts, but they do love to run. I run with my lab shepx and have taken him on runs up to 15 k on occasion, but he's much leaner than your typical lab and I doubt he could handle marathon level training levels. Also you should build your dog up gradually as you would yourself to ensure they don't get injured. One injury many don't consider is pad damage. There are booties and pad treatments that are supposed to reduce damage to your dogs pads. I've seen significant pad wear on my dog with approx. 6 hours of trail running/week.

You might be tempted to get a greyhound, whippet, or similar coursing breed, but I've heard that they are more sprinters than long distance runners.

I would definitely stay away from breeds that suffer from hip displaysia or shoulder problems or select my pet very carefully from a reputable breeder who screens for these genetic disorders in their breeding program.

We'll I've run off at the mouth enough. Good luck in the hunt.

Jamers04
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 01:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jamers04     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've got a golden retriever, and although at 9 she can't handle the longer distances she used to love running with me. I think a big key is to make sure the dog keeps up w/ your training. Mine used to do 5miles no problem but when I started school and started running with the team she couldn't really keep up with me that well anymore. Just because they have an extra set of legs doesn't mean they can handle 7 miles right out of the gate.

NEMSrunner
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 05:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NEMSrunner   Click Here to Email NEMSrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Would a greyhound be good for speed work? Maybe a bird dog for tempo runs and a beagle for slow recovery jogs. Of course you will need a kennel.

Margaret
unregistered
posted Jul-16-2004 06:24 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My mom used to run with a mut. Muts are strong and healthy; no inbred problems and muts have a lower tendancy of developing hip displaysia (HP). HP is common among larger breeds. Debilitating hip arthritis.

geb
Cool Runner
posted Jul-16-2004 06:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for geb     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Mutts still have foot pads, don't they? All dogs need to be trained and protected from injuries..Lisa

Margaret
unregistered
posted Jul-17-2004 01:45 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There are running "shoes" for dogs. It may look hokey but if you're running on asphalt, it saves their paws.

Cheley30s
Cool Runner
posted Jul-17-2004 09:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cheley30s   Click Here to Email Cheley30s     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a blue heeler....best dog ever. She runs with me and has never needed a leash (not trained that way..just innate). These dogs are very loyal and could care less about anything else when their family is around, she's not even bothered by other loose dogs. Plus, they have great stamina..they are working dogs. I'll never own a different breed.

warthog
unregistered
posted Jul-17-2004 09:23 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What exactly is a blue heeler? I've never heard of that?

chanters
Cool Runner
posted Jul-17-2004 11:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chanters   Click Here to Email chanters     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When I trained for my last half marathon, my running partner would bring her Vizsla and it was a terrific dog to run with! She never tired (both the dog and the running partner) and would do well off leash too (dog ), in the right environment.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks almost look like Vizslas when they're pups, but they grow to be much bigger. I know they've grown in popularity lately. Usually not so good with children though.
Do you want a high energy dog, one that is good with other pets, a hunting dog, gun dog, etc. Do you mind a digger?
Some dog have high exercise demands, but are very calm in the home. Some have much shorter life spans too (ie. Great Dane)
I am looking at getting a Great Dane and wonder how well they would do as a running companion. The drool factor, more than the size is the only drawback to this Gentle Giant.
Check out this website, it might help you decide the dog that's right for your home. There is also a website where you can take a quiz to find the right dog for you. I'll try to find it.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

Here's a site that lists the best dogs for jogging.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jog.htm

Have fun!

chanters
Cool Runner
posted Jul-17-2004 11:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chanters   Click Here to Email chanters     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Blue Heeler, AKA Australian Cattle Dog
http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/auscat.cfm

Gorgeous!

kmaletz
unregistered
posted Jul-17-2004 11:55 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What about boxers? I've never had a dog before but have always wanted one that could run longer distances (15k).

Christie1
unregistered
posted Jul-17-2004 12:41 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a Ridgeback, although I haven't run with him yet since he's still pretty young... with a larger breed dog, you shouldn't run until they are about a year to a year and a half... until their joints are finished growing.

I have a viszla mix that loves to run with me though... great endurance!

Ridgebacks usually have good endurance, by the way, even though they are coursing dogs too.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 6 pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: