Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: Novia

Songs about running...

Topic is 3 pages:
1 2 3
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Songs about running...
sladflob
Cool Runner
posted May-29-2004 10:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sladflob     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had a most bizarre experience this morning... I generated a random playlist of mp3s for my pre-dawn run and downloaded it to my portable player. Imagine my surprise when the playlist contained BOTH the song "Run, run, run" by the Velvet Underground, AND a song called "Run" from a newly acquired album by a French band called Air. I'd never really noticed the lyrics to this song before, but while running in the dark I was able to focus on them... here's a sample:

Holy girl
Don't get up
For running

Stay with me
I feel sad
When you run

Sands of time
Are lying
On my chest

Stay in bed
I feel sad
When you run

Having just had to prise myself from my SO (and warm bed) to go running, the lyrics had real significance for me. I wonder if one of the band members has had a similar problem, or else been the one left behind by a running partner.

Weird.

james

IP: Logged

OR1105
Cool Runner
posted May-30-2004 01:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for OR1105     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is just a thought brought on by the title of your post. I was running the other day and the lyrics to a song came to mind, I just kept repeating the verse (well, it's really the chorus) like a mantra and it felt good to do.

The song is called "Marathon" by Rush:

From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light
That gets in your eyes
One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades in the summer sky

peihan17
Cool Runner
posted May-31-2004 01:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for peihan17   Click Here to Email peihan17     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OR.... the same song popped into my head when i saw this thread =)

lssaa
Cool Runner
posted Jun-05-2004 11:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lssaa   Click Here to Email lssaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A Song That Really Isn't About Running But It Is About Racing Is "The Distance" by Cake

lssaa
Cool Runner
posted Jun-05-2004 11:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lssaa   Click Here to Email lssaa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A Song That Really Isn't About Running But It Will Inspire You To Run Harder Is "The Distance" by Cake

Here Is A Sample:

He's going the distance.
He's going for speed.
She's all alone
In her time of need.
Because he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse,
He's going the distance.

gatorman10
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2004 02:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gatorman10   Click Here to Email gatorman10     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i like Run for the Roses - Jerry Garcia (Title track), that CAKE song is awesome too. Curiously I ran to RUN,RUN,RUN by the Velvet Underground today too....

"Run, Run , Run for the Roses the bigger it opens the sooner it closes. All good friend, all friends of mine, all good things in all good time."

I have some more just having a brain cramp or something.

RUSH- as mentioned and Fly By Night, and Red Barchetta are cool

[This message has been edited by gatorman10 (edited Jun-06-2004).]

sistergoldenhair
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2004 02:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sistergoldenhair   Click Here to Email sistergoldenhair     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is my running playlist (to date -- I'm always looking for new songs)

Long May You Run -- Neil Young
Born To Run -- Bruce Springsteen
Ready To Run -- Dixie Chicks
Ain't No Stopping Us Now -- McFadden & Whitehead
Road Runner theme -- WB Looney Tunes cartoons
Move Your Feet -- Junior Senior
Always On The Run -- Lenny Kravitz
Runaway -- Jefferson Starship
Break My Stride -- Matthew Wilder
Runner -- Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Run -- Collective Soul
Running Down A Dream -- Tom Petty
Run Like Hell -- Pink Floyd
Running With The Devil -- Van Halen
Running On Empty -- Jackson Browne
It Keeps You Runnin' -- Doobie Brothers
Fast As You -- Dwight Yoakum
I'm Not Running Anymore -- John Mellencamp

HSunshine
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2004 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HSunshine   Click Here to Email HSunshine     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
sistergoldenhair, that is an awesome list. I've got but one to add:

"Sinnerman" from The Thomas Crown Affair (the new one with Pierce Brosnan oohlala). The lyrics are about running in some sense or another:

Sinnerman where you gunna run to
Sinnerman where you gunna run to
Where you gunna run to
All on that day
Well I run to the rock
Please hide me I run to the rock
Please hide me I run to the rock

If you've seen the movie, its at the end where he's walking thru the museum with all the guys in bowler hats. I started my half marathon listening to this song, now it kinda gives me the shivers

Cheers!

jhallum
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2004 09:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jhallum   Click Here to Email jhallum     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Iron Maiden -- The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner

One of my all-time favorite tunes. Used to listen to it all the time before a race.

------------------

divechief
Cool Runner
posted Jun-06-2004 09:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for divechief   Click Here to Email divechief     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've got to add Boz Scaggs, Cool Running

james36
unregistered
posted Jun-07-2004 05:29 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here's a song for you children of the 80's - "I Ran" from Flock of Seagulls (Remember the lead singers absurd haircut? - cool song though).

gatorman10
Cool Runner
posted Jun-09-2004 01:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gatorman10   Click Here to Email gatorman10     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hsunshine that sounds a lot like Steel Pulse's "Downpressor Man, where you gonna run to?"

I also have the following to add:

No one to run with-Allman Brothers
Run-Around-Blues Traveler
Running on Faith - Clapton
Runaway Jim - Phish
Run Like an Antelope - Phish
Take the Money and RUN - Steve Miller
The Long Run - Eagles
We can Run - Grateful Dead

mistaSteve
Cool Runner
posted Jun-09-2004 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mistaSteve   Click Here to Email mistaSteve     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I will throw in 'Roadrunner' by Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers, though it's about a car. Also 'Roadrunner' by the Who.

quote:
Originally posted by gatorman10:
Hsunshine that sounds a lot like Steel Pulse's "Downpressor Man, where you gonna run to?"

I also have the following to add:

No one to run with-Allman Brothers
Run-Around-Blues Traveler
Running on Faith - Clapton
Runaway Jim - Phish
Run Like an Antelope - Phish
Take the Money and RUN - Steve Miller
The Long Run - Eagles
We can Run - Grateful Dead

james36
unregistered
posted Jun-09-2004 05:49 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistaSteve:
I will throw in 'Roadrunner' by Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers, though it's about a car. Also 'Roadrunner' by the Who.

Also there's "Roadrunner" by Bo Diddley and, more recently, a remake by Aerosmith (what a great kick A** version)!!!!

bikebetty
unregistered
posted Jun-10-2004 10:51 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jhallum:
Iron Maiden -- The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner

One of my all-time favorite tunes. Used to listen to it all the time before a race.

Prefer the Angelic Upstarts version

------------------
"Of course I can do it - I'm a warrior!" - JCumming

ConfettiGirl
Cool Runner
posted Jun-11-2004 12:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ConfettiGirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm arriving a little late to this post, but I've been busy trying to pry myself off the ground following being floored by two people mentioning Marathon by Rush!!! (Just bought my Radio City Music Hall tickets yesterday, favorite band!!!) Marathon always inspired me and Rush's "Out of the Cradle" was my NYC Marathon 2003 training song.

[This message has been edited by ConfettiGirl (edited Jun-14-2004).]

staggerlee
Cool Runner
posted Jun-11-2004 05:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for staggerlee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Police on my back" --The Clash

you'll run a 3 minute mile.

jockette36
Cool Runner
posted Jun-13-2004 06:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jockette36     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In case anyone has an interest in instrumentals.

There's a big 10K race in my town, and at the bottom of "the hill", whoever lives there has always played the theme from "Rocky".

Somebody else living on the race route used to play some overture (William Tell?) - the one that was used for the Lone Ranger, which was cool, but I heard they don't do that anymore.

There was also somebody living on the race route who played the theme from "Chariots of Fire", but I don't know if they do that anymore either.

I think someone used to play some of the music from Star Wars, but I'm not sure about that.

------------------
My Running Etc Journal
My Picture

sue634
unregistered
posted Jun-14-2004 02:33 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just found this one yesterday - Hit the Ground Running by the Doves. Sounds kind of like Werewolves of London.

EricBoucher
Cool Runner
posted Jun-14-2004 02:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for EricBoucher   Click Here to Email EricBoucher     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Run Baby Run" -- Sheryl Crow
"Run to the water" -- Live
"Run to the Hills" -- Iron Maiden

------------------
My Profile

Shotzncotz
Cool Runner
posted Jun-14-2004 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shotzncotz   Click Here to Email Shotzncotz     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As I tried to explain to the Police Officer, it was the AC/DC compilation disk that made me drive 10 to 15 over the limit. It works for running too! Garunteed to knock 10-15 sec per mile off your pace.

Augie
Cool Runner
posted Jun-15-2004 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Augie   Click Here to Email Augie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Must second "The Long Run" by the Eagles. Also, "One Tree Hill" by U2:
"The moon is up and over one tree hill
we see the sun go down in your eyes
you run like a river
on like a sea
you run like a river runs to the sea."
Also an excellent, adrenaline-driving beat and "social-unrest" lyrics which always make me feel like running for days at a time.
And the classic, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for", which I play toward the end of my long run because it has the words "YES I'm still running" which almost make me burst into tears at that point...

LittleBullet
unregistered
posted Jun-19-2004 11:19 AM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Born To Run -- Bruce Springsteen
Running With The Devil -- Van Halen
Run to You -- Bryan Adams
I ran (so far away) -- A Flock of Seaguls

Only ones I know.

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jun-21-2004 02:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A few more...

Running Blood by Michael Martin Murphy
The Jogger by Bobby Bare
Born To Run by Emmy Lou Harris (totally different song than the Springsteen one)

mep5555
Cool Runner
posted Jun-21-2004 02:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mep5555   Click Here to Email mep5555     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Some of the lyrics from Running Blood...

"I'm gonna have a winning season
You're gonna really see me shine
God gave me strong legs for a reason
To be the first to cross the line...

Don't hold on, don't hold back
If you're gonna run
On the winnin' track
Tryin' hard is not enough
You've got to have the running blood"

And from The Jogger

"Well without breakin' stride or losin' poise
He says you and that rig sure make some noise
But I can't talk now cause I'm racin' against the clocker
But it's just nine miles to Forker's Leap
And if you ain't afraid to race that heap
We'll see how that ol' rig holds up against the super jogger...

Then I see him joggin' up into the sky
And he yells hey thanks for the exercise
And I hope that losin' that race was not too shockin'
Ya see my dad says heaven's no place to run
I try to be an obedient son
So I gotta come down to earth to do my joggin'

Well that's the story take it or leave it
My trucker buddies they believe it
So do those race car nuts and harley hoggers
I'm still drivin' much the same
'Cept I don't call nobody names
And I tip my hat each time I pass