Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: prefontaine, scorch99, , Crazy1

quotes

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   quotes
jerseyxcgrl
posted Jun-28-2007 01:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jerseyxcgrl   Click Here to Email jerseyxcgrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i'm captian of our 07' xc team... and i need some good team quotes. I have these but others would be nice
- trample the weak hurdle the dead
-distance runners do it longer
-running is 4 everyone... xc is for athletes
-our shoes have more miles than our own cars
-our claves are bigger than our bicepts

IP: Logged

CippyCup
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 03:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CippyCup   Click Here to Email CippyCup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You need not worry about quotes of others, but when the time comes you will have your own quotes. As team captain, you will constantly be talking with your team. You will say things that will become other peoples' quotes.

TeleTurner
Cool Runner
posted Jun-28-2007 05:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TeleTurner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I like these two:

"Cross Country: finally a good use for golf courses"

"If you can read this, then I'm not in last place"

------------------
My Profile

runxc09
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 10:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runxc09     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I run like a girl try and catch me.

Tawanda101
Cool Runner
posted Jun-29-2007 10:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tawanda101   Click Here to Email Tawanda101     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
my sport is your team's punishment.

Eat Dirt.

daniel6mileman
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 12:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for daniel6mileman   Click Here to Email daniel6mileman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To be number one, you have to train like you're number two.

Run every race like its suicide; and itís a perfect day to die.

I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me.

If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough.

Losers look what they are going through. Winners look where they are going to.

Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Just because your muscles start to protest doesn't mean you have to listen.

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.

I find that the harder I work the more luck I have.

It eluded us then, but thatís no matter: Tomorrow we will run betterÖStretch our arms farther.

Decide before the race the conditions that will cause you to stop and drop out. You don't want to be out there saying, well gee, my leg hurts, I'm a little dehydrated, I'm sleepy, I'm tired, and itís cold and windy. And talk yourself into quitting. If you are making a decision based on how you feel at that moment, you will probably make the wrong decision.

In that he didn't die at the finish line, he could have run faster. Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going.

The only way to be who you want to be is by being what you haven't yet been.

I do today what you won't so I can do tomorrow what you can't.
The truth is you can always run faster; The truth Hurts.

Doesn't it add some excitement knowing the race isn't really won at the finish line with everyone watching? It is won somewhere along the course, where no one can see.

Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it.

No timeouts, no halftimes, no rest: running is the only true sport.

You can rest when you're dead.

Once that distance had been passed in training, an important physical and psychological threshold had been crossed. It was no longer a question of *if* it could be done. Rather, it became a question of *how fast* it could be done.

Champions are made when no one is watching.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you wonít live in, Schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open.

Opportunity is often passed up because it is disguised as hard work.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

The body doesnít want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed.

You can never run a hill too hard, you will collapse before hurting it.

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must out run the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It does not matter whether you are a lion or gazelle. When the sun comes up you had better be running.

Mental fortitude is more important than physical endurance.

Nothing worth having is easy.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

If you can't learn anything from losing, don't lose.

Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any.

Do or do not. There is no try.

We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.

I've never been beaten by the guy behind me.

To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind.

Iíll train like a madman, un loco. Well, not like a madman, perhaps, but as if it were my last race.

If a man coaches himself, then he has only himself to blame when he is beaten.

Running is different from other sports; all the others require just one ball

Having a true faith is the most difficult thing in the world. Many will try to take it from you.

There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have.

Win: Whatís Important Now

2nd place is the first loser.

Anybody running beats anybody walking, and anybody walking beats anybody sitting.

Every man dies, but not every man really lives.

As true in life and on the track: if you are willing to pay the price others will not then you will reap the benefits others will not.

Running is a four weather sport.

Excellence is never an accident

Anyone can run a hundred meters, it's the next four thousand nine hundred that count You coming?

newenglandfan08
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 10:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for newenglandfan08   Click Here to Email newenglandfan08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
dainel you have too much free time, and dont take any of these quotes one will come when the times comes for your team

Deadpixel
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Deadpixel   Click Here to Email Deadpixel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If the captain of my team started spouting quotes at me I'd probably quit.

Just saying.

TeleTurner
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 11:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TeleTurner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deadpixel:
If the captain of my team started spouting quotes at me I'd probably quit.

Just saying.

...I think it's for a T-shirt...just a hunch though...

------------------
My Profile

CippyCup
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 11:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CippyCup   Click Here to Email CippyCup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Exactly.

daniel6mileman
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 12:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for daniel6mileman   Click Here to Email daniel6mileman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
the thread is called "quotes", and thats what I posted...shouldn't be a problem...

newenglandfan08
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 01:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newenglandfan08   Click Here to Email newenglandfan08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
not really, but you posted over 50 of them, and half are retarded, tell me if you would wear every single of those on the back of a shirt

daniel6mileman
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 02:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for daniel6mileman   Click Here to Email daniel6mileman     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah I just posted all the quotes I had, didn't realize they were suppose to be team quotes..shoulda read that was dumb of me...

Oh well, so I posted too many, its not the end of the world! and I didnt tell anyone to use any...eye of the beholder on the retarded thing, but there are a few in there that aren't that great

[This message has been edited by daniel6mileman (edited Jun-30-2007).]

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Jun-30-2007 03:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel6mileman:
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must out run the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It does not matter whether you are a lion or gazelle. When the sun comes up you had better be running.

I thought lions only hunted at night.

bruncle
Cool Runner
posted Jul-01-2007 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bruncle   Click Here to Email bruncle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And at dawn

mean miler
posted Jul-21-2007 02:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mean miler     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most of the best quotes are probably quotes that Pre said. Like, "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." or "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die."
Also if you don't know who Pre is than you should go die.

Sike Mausa
posted Jul-21-2007 10:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sike Mausa   Click Here to Email Sike Mausa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
wtf is Pre?

CippyCup
Cool Runner
posted Jul-23-2007 07:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CippyCup   Click Here to Email CippyCup     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sike Mausa:
wtf is Pre?

Well I think its time for you to leave. If you don't know who Pre is than you should go jump off a building. Just so you know, Pre was an American runner who probably was one of the best runners of all time. If you have ever heard of Nike, his coach, Mr. Bill Bowerman, created it. Pre even tested the shoes. He was the Public relations Man of Nike. So now that you know who he is. I believe you should go educate yourself before coming back. Try using google before you say something dumb.

SoFarGone
Cool Runner
posted Jul-23-2007 11:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SoFarGone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sike Mausa:
wtf is Pre?

Steve Prefontaine

linganorexc111
Cool Runner
posted Jul-24-2007 10:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for linganorexc111   Click Here to Email linganorexc111     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
STEVE PREFONTAINE

He at one time held every record from the 2000 meter to the 10000 meter , in American records. He made Running what it is today. He was a rebel who ran. When he was a junior at Oreagan He went to the olymipics and was in third with two hundered meters left and he went around but got boxed and ended up getting fourth. He didn't care. HE WANTED FIRST AND NOTHING ELSE. Hes the greatest runner to ever live. Then he died after his senior year in a car accident after a meet with Finland's National Team.

If You want more , which you should. Go to Stevepre.com

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2007 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Pre was no Bruce Kidd but he was a decent runner in his own right.
I think you shouldn't forget to mention that he died when he totaled his car that he was driving while drunk.
Also take it easy on the kid. I didn't know know who Kevin Sullivan until after I'd been running for 2 years, Pre was even further down the road that I learned about him.

xcpickle09
posted Jul-25-2007 11:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for xcpickle09   Click Here to Email xcpickle09     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thread on fire

------------------

linganorexc111
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2007 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for linganorexc111   Click Here to Email linganorexc111     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
R u serious ?
Pre made American running what it is today and your going to sit there and compare him to those guys?

What a Joke.

O and pre wasn't drunk off achol .

It was a combat ion with medicine that was not overdose.

And being a drunk doesnt make him any less of a runner

kirby111
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2007 12:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kirby111     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
He wasnt the best runner to ever live. He could have become that later but he died and was just the best AMERICAN runner to ever live. You cant be the best without world records

linganorexc111
Cool Runner
posted Jul-25-2007 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for linganorexc111   Click Here to Email linganorexc111     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i said he was the best American runner

But he was 21 and he got fourth in the most stacked field in the 5000 meter in Oylmipic history

He woulda had that record n all of you no it

And it wasnt just what he did but how he did it. He ran the race like it was his last. Never paced, never hung in there till the end and out kicked someone , he ran with pure guts.

Thats why he was the best

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: