Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
| > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: prefontaine, scorch99

What do you wear in cold weather?

Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   What do you wear in cold weather?
bcarvings
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 09:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bcarvings     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi,
I was just wondering what do you guys wear when it is 45-30 degrees out? What about when its 30-0 degrees? I mean I have wind braker pants and a nice coat, but I would look like an idiot running in both..... I saw people running with shorts on with snow on the ground do you guys do that? Do you run with hoodies or something?

Thanks again

IP: Logged

cakmakli
posted Nov-23-2006 10:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cakmakli     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I usually dress in layers depending on how cold it is. It is always easier to take off an outer layer and tie it around your waist when you warm up, then it is to freeze and wish that you had it. You should always dress so that you are still a little cold before you start because you will warm up.

This is what I wore yesterday morning when it was 27 degrees and still dark. I wore as a base layer a tight fitting long sleeve shirt designed to wick moisture away from my body. I then wore another loose fitting long sleeve shirt made out of polyester. On top of that I wore a thin nylon wind breaker. For the bottoms I wore runner's tights. I also wore a stocking cap and gloves. After a mile or so I warmed up and took off the gloves. Everyone is a little different. I'd rather run in shorts and will wear them if the wind chill isn't too bad.

Don't worry about wearing something that makes you look like an idiot. To most people you're going to look like an idiot just by running in cold weather. The main thing is to wear what will make your run enjoyable.

the kenyan
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 10:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for the kenyan   Click Here to Email the kenyan     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
40+: singlet & shorts
40-20: long sleeve, possibly hat & gloves
under 20: ditch the shorts
under 0: maybe throw on an extra layer or two

when you train in vermont you get desensitized really quickly

newenglandfan08
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 12:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newenglandfan08   Click Here to Email newenglandfan08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
below 30 you can wear pants, other than that your a pansy

walrusgod
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 06:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for walrusgod   Click Here to Email walrusgod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
clothes

anyway, lots of thinner layers is better.

bruncle
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 07:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bruncle   Click Here to Email bruncle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcarvings:
Hi,
I was just wondering what do you guys wear when it is 45-30 degrees out? What about when its 30-0 degrees? I mean I have wind braker pants and a nice coat, but I would look like an idiot running in both..... I saw people running with shorts on with snow on the ground do you guys do that? Do you run with hoodies or something?

Thanks again

Geez, if it's below freezing, I wouldn't be out there lol. Find a treadmill or something:P Wouldn't there be snow and ice on the ground making it hard to run? But if you really have to, I'd focus on keeping your extremities cool. Wear a balaclava, gloves and you should be fine. If it's windy, put a windbreaker on, but otherwise you'll probably get really hot.

newenglandfan08
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 08:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for newenglandfan08   Click Here to Email newenglandfan08     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
cough pansy cough

lynnruns
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2006 08:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lynnruns   Click Here to Email lynnruns     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
LoL Newenglandfan....we get pretty hard up here to the weather in NE!!! I wear shorts until about 40 degrees,and then running capris until about 30, then I go to Under Armour tights below 30 degrees. On top, under armour compression tops as a base layer at about 30 degrees. if its colder than that, a light wind breaker on top. If its below 10 I will add a fleece on top.
remember..... you warm up FAST!!!!

a kat runs
posted Nov-23-2006 09:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for a kat runs     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yeah, definitely under armour is where its at below 30-40

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 12:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Once it drops below about 5C (40F) I go tights and a long sleeve cotton shirt.
Below zero (32F) throw on the thin gloves.
Below -10C (15F) add the dry-fit type shirt underneath and maybe a vest, I'd also start wearing socks here but most wear them all the time.
Below -20C (0F) go for a toque or headband of sorts.
Once you crack that -25C barrier you risk frostbite so I'd find some way to limit time outside running and hop in the pool or something.

Why'd you have to make me think about the cold weather coming in the next couple months?

bruncle
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 02:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bruncle   Click Here to Email bruncle     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexanderthegr8:
Once it drops below about 5C (40F) I go tights and a long sleeve cotton shirt.
Below zero (32F) throw on the thin gloves.
Below -10C (15F) add the dry-fit type shirt underneath and maybe a vest, I'd also start wearing socks here but most wear them all the time.
Below -20C (0F) go for a toque or headband of sorts.
Once you crack that -25C barrier you risk frostbite so I'd find some way to limit time outside running and hop in the pool or something.

Why'd you have to make me think about the cold weather coming in the next couple months?

Wah, you don't wear socks?

I'm just glad I live in Australia - the minimum temp I've ever experienced out in the burbs is 5C (40F).

chumsae
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chumsae   Click Here to Email chumsae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If its below 45, I put a shirt on,

If its below 35, I put a long sleeve shirt on, or double t shirts

If its below 25 I wear a sweatshirt and gloves

If its below 15 I dont run because that means i cant wear shorts, I absolutely HATE running in windpants

sun11star
posted Nov-24-2006 12:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sun11star     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
shorts, tshirt and under armor !

SoFarGone
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SoFarGone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chumsae:

If its below 15 I dont run because that means i cant wear shorts, I absolutely HATE running in windpants

Suck it up...geez.

Well since you HATE windpants so much, have you ever tried running in spandex with shorts over top? Then you don't have the annoying, baggy windpants, but you're still warmer than wearing just plain shorts.

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 08:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Go for the tights/spandex. But if you do you've got to freeball or else you run into problems with buching.

------------------

Deadpixel
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 09:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Deadpixel   Click Here to Email Deadpixel     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
T-shirt and Shorts down to 30F, bellow that I throw on running pants and maybe a windbreaker

I'll wear a hat if it is <60F though, just because I look sweet running with a hat.

Crazy1
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2006 09:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Go for the tights/spandex. But if you do you've got to freeball or else you run into problems with buching.

I wonder if running with out a sports bra is the same as freeballing.

------------------

"Like you did as a child, take the quiet path, the scenic route. Pedal the back roads, slip through the neighborhoods. Suck in the sharp air.
Smell the trees...."

Mark Jenkins
My User Profile

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

KeepItTight
posted Nov-24-2006 11:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KeepItTight   Click Here to Email KeepItTight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the kenyan:

when you train in vermont you get desensitized really quickly

Definately, even in the coldest i never wear more than light running pants and a long sleeve top

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 12:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy1:
I wonder if running with out a sports bra is the same as freeballing.

I don't know. I'm not the person to ask. Are there any transvestites on here who can properly answer this question?

chumsae
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 12:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chumsae   Click Here to Email chumsae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SoFarGone:
Suck it up...geez.

Well since you HATE windpants so much, have you ever tried running in spandex with shorts over top? Then you don't have the annoying, baggy windpants, but you're still warmer than wearing just plain shorts.

i just REALLY dont wanna look like this kid

AFewScrewsLoose
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 02:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AFewScrewsLoose   Click Here to Email AFewScrewsLoose     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Haha what a sexy beast

SoFarGone
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 02:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SoFarGone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chumsae:

i just REALLY dont wanna look like this kid

Hmmm...well disregard the strange facial expression and odd hand movements...and he doesn't really look THAT weird. As long as you wear shorts a little longer than his and with the waistband not rolled up all weird like his, it doesn't look that bad. The guys on my team do it all the time (not that that's saying much...they're a strange bunch all right lol).

I mean come on, you're a runner. Just the fact that you're out running distance in the middle of winter is gonna make people think you're strange, so you might as well go all out.

Crazy1
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 04:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy1     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KeepItTight:
Definately, even in the coldest i never wear more than light running pants and a long sleeve top

Vermont is f-in cold. I once went for a ride up there with a kid i know

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 05:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
First of all, only a tool would wear tights in a race, especially on a track. How cold could it have been. Tights are certainly not necessary until you get temps below zero. Also you don't wear shorts over top of tights. What's the point? Shorts are just for covering up your pee-pee. When you're wearing tights you are already doing that. Why wear an extra layer?
It's insanity I tell you!

------------------

chumsae
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2006 07:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chumsae   Click Here to Email chumsae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
First of all, only a tool would wear tights in a race, especially on a track. How cold could it have been. Tights are certainly not necessary until you get temps below zero. Also you don't wear shorts over top of tights. What's the point? Shorts are just for covering up your pee-pee. When you're wearing tights you are already doing that. Why wear an extra layer?
It's insanity I tell you!

QFE (do people say this on this forum? because they should)

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Topic is 2 pages:
1 2
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: