Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage

Cool Running homepage
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: prefontaine, scorch99

Average mile

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Average mile
sbiss75
posted Nov-23-2005 05:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does anyone know what the average mile for 16 year olds is.

IP: Logged

radyk110
Cool Runner
posted Nov-23-2005 07:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for radyk110     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
in gym class 7:10 and under is perfect (10/10) for girls and under 6:05 for the boys. Sorry thats all i know.

redrodeo
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for redrodeo   Click Here to Email redrodeo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well in track I would say that most girls try to break 6 minutes and guys are in the low 5mins...5:10ish.

wayne5000
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 02:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wayne5000   Click Here to Email wayne5000     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
average around here is about 4:40.

aurang
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 03:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for aurang     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most of the peer-reviewed work I've seen in this area reports values ranging from 6:18.2 (Elker et al, 2002) to 6:47 (Wilson, Wight and Watters, 1997). Ultimately, however, I would question the methodology used by most studies into this matter. It's interesting to note that Kurotanawa and Russell, in their landmark 1982 study, did come up with the average mile time of 4:58 for 16-year olds, and this has been accepted by most researchers since then.

redrodeo
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 07:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for redrodeo   Click Here to Email redrodeo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It really depends on what your are asking for.

Are you asking because you are interested in running track and want to know how fast some of your competition will be?

Or are you currently running and want to compare yourself to others around the country?

Our top girls in Alabama run right around 5 mins. A 5:20 is still really good.

The top guys run around 4:20.

But.....my last reply ^^ was an average because some people get out there and run the mile in like 6:30.

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you're talking general population I'd say it will be up around at least eight minutes considering that there are many 16 year olds who can't even run a full mile.
If you're talking about runners, I'd say a midpacker for 16 yr old is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5:30.
Where the hell does 4:40 come from? I really doubt that's real. Maybe if you're talking about an average from the fast races.

------------------
Alex

DDX
Cool Runner
posted Nov-24-2005 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DDX     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah, be more specific. Are you talking about runners or just regular 16 year olds? 'Cause those are two vastly different averages.

therunner
posted Nov-24-2005 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for therunner   Click Here to Email therunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
very true. many people i know are non runners and (16 year olds) and their average is 9-10 minutes, where as my running friends are in the low 5s and 6s.

Heracles
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2005 03:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Heracles   Click Here to Email Heracles     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Most people that are 16 years old that do CC//T&F can probably run around 5:15 (boys) average I say... this includes both fast & slow runners...

sbiss75
posted Nov-25-2005 11:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I meant the average for runners/ people who do track or cxc.

runxc09
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2005 04:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runxc09     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The average mile for my xc team when it is just a mile on the track is about a 6:30 but during cross country races its around a 7:30 average split.

sbiss75
posted Nov-25-2005 05:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
But what mile times do you guys need to like be top 5 on your schools track team? Cause this year for me you need to break 5.

wayne5000
Cool Runner
posted Nov-25-2005 06:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wayne5000   Click Here to Email wayne5000     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Top 5 on my team are 4:33 4:35 4:42 4:49 and 5:06, thats from last year. I'm leaving so they will be weaker this year. To get top 6(score points) in most meets here you would have to run under 4:40.... thats why i said it.

SportiGrl
Cool Runner
posted Nov-26-2005 04:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SportiGrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
jmho, but it really should not matter what others run ... if it's in you to be in the top 5 at your school you need to reach down inside and pull it out every day you train ...

... good luck in track this coming spring!

sbiss75
posted Nov-26-2005 08:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SportiGrl:
jmho, but it really should not matter what others run ... if it's in you to be in the top 5 at your school you need to reach down inside and pull it out every day you train ...

... good luck in track this coming spring!

thanks, also what times do you run?

happypeachhead
Cool Runner
posted Nov-27-2005 03:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for happypeachhead   Click Here to Email happypeachhead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I don't know if you mean a mile by itself or within a longer run. Check out the races/results section of this site..they show people's ages and average miles. Good luck!

sbiss75
posted Nov-30-2005 04:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i mean 1 mile

chumsae
Cool Runner
posted Nov-30-2005 06:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for chumsae   Click Here to Email chumsae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey, i was just asking people the same question, im 16 too, and running the mile in indoor track

my coach says under 5:10 will get points, sometimes 5:15

runxc09
Cool Runner
posted Nov-30-2005 06:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runxc09     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
UPDATE: I just ran a 1 mile time trial for indoor in 5:50. came in 5th for the team. Better than I thought I would do but hoping to improve though. I have no idea what qualifying times for the mile are here.

sbiss75
posted Nov-30-2005 07:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sbiss75   Click Here to Email sbiss75     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yeh im sort of wondering cause i did cxc but we never had a mile race. The facest i did was 5:50 for the first mile of a 5k and a 5:45 for a mile workout one day, and that wasnt on flat terrain, so im trying to figure out what my mile time would be so i can see where i stand for track.

SportiGrl
Cool Runner
posted Dec-01-2005 12:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SportiGrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hi, sbiss75 ...

I'm actually an old woman of 37 years now but my daughter is 15 and runs t&f and xc and is doing well so I like to pop in here and check out what the young folks think on things to get some idea of what her and her peers think about ;-)

last year I ran a mile in 6:03 about 3 weeks after I started running again for the first time in 17 years ... when I was 16, in HS and running track my fastest was 5:28 but I generally ran around 5:30-5:35 on any given raceday for the mile ...

.. my pace within longer races last year was 7:00 min/mile for up to 8 miles and then 7:30 up to 10 miles and then 8 min/ mile up to 20 miles ...

I just posted what I originally did because the best way to reach your potential and goals is to do your best EVERY DAY and take it for what it's worth ... there are always going to be people faster and slower than you but you can be your best every day and that's up to each of us .. ya know what I mean?

Best of luck in doing well this coming season!

SportiGrl
Cool Runner
posted Dec-01-2005 12:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SportiGrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
btw - by 'best every day' I don't mean fastest ... do what you or your coach planned and make every run a goal in and of itself :0)

GIANTrunner
posted Dec-24-2005 05:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for GIANTrunner   Click Here to Email GIANTrunner     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In HS mine was 4:?? but now its much lower..

hondarunner2
Cool Runner
posted Jan-12-2006 04:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hondarunner2   Click Here to Email hondarunner2     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
These are about our top 5 times at our school
1.4:23
2.4:33
3.4:36
4.4:41
5.4:42

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: