Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage Click for more info
Community
discussion forumsviewpoint
> search | > rules | > faq | > e-mail to a friend | moderator: prefontaine, scorch99

Average High School Track Mile (1600)?

Post a new topic    
> next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Average High School Track Mile (1600)?
momadaboo
posted Sep-26-2005 10:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for momadaboo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey guys. I've been in track the past 2 years and I'm in my first year of XC. This year in track I'm hoping to do a sub 5 minute mile (1600). It is my main goal for the year (I'm a Junior this year). Last year I only ran 400s and 800s but this year I'd like to be doing miles. I can do a 400 in right around 60 secs. so I'm not dirt slow but I have by no means "born speed". This year however I am building up my edurance with XC and I will be training harder. I'm just curious as to what the average times are in the mile? I'm talking about the people that are finishing in the middle of the race? Thanks. Also any advice on going sub 5 would be greatly appreciated.

IP: Logged

captainwildcat
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2005 01:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for captainwildcat   Click Here to Email captainwildcat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Don't know what 'average' is, but in HS I never broke 60 sec for the 400, but ran 4:42 for the mile(1600). Since you are doing XC now tou'll be getting a bigger endurance base, just keep that mileage up over the winter off-season and you should be in a position to go sub 5-min this coming spring

------------------
My Profile

Heracles
posted Sep-27-2005 01:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Heracles   Click Here to Email Heracles     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm kind of lucky I guess.

When I was in 7th grade, I ran a 400 in 59 seconds that year, which is pretty good. When I was in 9th grade I could run like a 5:19. I'm in 10th grade this year though. Don't know my 400 time, I only ran 1600m and 800m 9th grade.

Freshman top 3
1st 4:40-5:20 range (there was a freshman I saw run under a 4:50 mid season)
2nd 5:00-5:30 range
3rd 5:10-5:40 range

JV top 3
1st 4:35-5:05
2nd 5:00-5:15
3rd 5:10-5:30

Varsity top 3
1st-3rd all under 4:30; usually all 3 are also under 4:15

captainwildcat
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2005 03:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for captainwildcat   Click Here to Email captainwildcat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heracles:

Varsity top 3

This cannot be at one HS. Most state meets are won in something around 4:15 or just slightly below

------------------
My Profile

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2005 12:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Varsity top 3

Ya I'm also calling B.S. on that one. Unless of course you're talking about the 1500.

------------------
Alex

momadaboo
posted Sep-27-2005 12:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for momadaboo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks guys. I run in NE Minnesota and although I dont know the average times I know they aren't that low. They rarely go under 4:35.

Heracles
posted Sep-27-2005 05:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Heracles   Click Here to Email Heracles     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Calling BS? Here... let me show you the results from LAST year...

Boys 1600 Meter Run 5A
=======================================================================
National: ! 3:59.51 2001 Alan Webb, Reston South Lakes, VA
State: + 4:03.27 2003 Steve Magness, Klein Oak
Conf 5A: * 4:03.27 2003 Steve Magness, Klein Oak
Name Year School Finals Points
1 Luke Hansen Con Woodlnds 4:08.84
2 Duncan Phillips Col ST A&M 4:10.96
3 Scott MacPherson Plano 4:14.14
4 Rio Reina San Anton O'Conn 4:15.56
5 Will Schroeder SA Reagan 4:15.92
6 Kevin Ondrasek SL Carroll 4:17.09
7 Jordan Vetitoe Hum Kingwood 4:17.94
8 Scott Zivick Humble 4:20.45

All three are under 4:15... even though one is barely

here's the link, scroll down to 5a near the bottom http://texastrack.com/2005%20Track/05t_uil_state_championships.htm

Yes, this is highschool.

Heracles
posted Sep-27-2005 05:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Heracles   Click Here to Email Heracles     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oh yeah...

http://168.144.173.84/XC%202004/04xc_uil_state_championships.htm for Cross Country times.

But then again, I guess the reason there's a lot of fast people in Texas is because we do have a larger population...

[This message has been edited by Heracles (edited Sep-27-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Heracles (edited Sep-27-2005).]

momadaboo
posted Sep-27-2005 06:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for momadaboo     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
They probably are a lot faster where you live. I live up in minnesota. Most of the schools around here are small enough where you don't have to be selected to join the team, you can join no matter what your level is. Like I said the times around here rarely go under 4:40.

Professor
Cool Runner
posted Sep-27-2005 08:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Professor     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
for top 3 kids under 4:15...youre talking in like a humongous invitational or a state meet or something...

i dont know much about guys times, but i would think that most meets (dual meets or your average invitational) wouldnt have that many times under 4:30, never mind 4:15. and anyway this kid is trying to find out what a midpacker's time would be, not the top 8 kids at a state meet.

------------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Twigger
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2005 08:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Twigger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah that was the state meet! It was a pretty big upset though... everyone expecting Scott to win because he went undefeated in XC that year. Texas just like california though has faster times bc they can train year round i must admit. Texas is awesome!

------------------
I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile

runningdann
posted Sep-29-2005 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for runningdann   Click Here to Email runningdann     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here in Maine at the last outdoor track season the top three winners of the state meet for the mile was 4:09, 4:10, 4:10

alexanderthegr8
Cool Runner
posted Sep-29-2005 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alexanderthegr8   Click Here to Email alexanderthegr8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Calling BS? Here... let me show you the results from LAST year...

Boys 1600 Meter Run 5A
National: ! 3:59.51 2001 Alan Webb, Reston South Lakes, VA
State: + 4:03.27 2003 Steve Magness, Klein Oak
Conf 5A: * 4:03.27 2003 Steve Magness, Klein Oak
Name Year School Finals Points
1 Luke Hansen Con Woodlnds 4:08.84
2 Duncan Phillips Col ST A&M 4:10.96
3 Scott MacPherson Plano 4:14.14
4 Rio Reina San Anton O'Conn 4:15.56
5 Will Schroeder SA Reagan 4:15.92
6 Kevin Ondrasek SL Carroll 4:17.09
7 Jordan Vetitoe Hum Kingwood 4:17.94
8 Scott Zivick Humble 4:20.45

All three are under 4:15... even though one is barely

here's the link, scroll down to 5a near the bottom http://texastrack.com/2005%20Track/05t_uil_state_championships.htm

Yes, this is highschool.

I thought you were talking about at one school. Ya those kind of times are still not common unless you are in a big state/province like Texas, California, New York, or Ontario.

------------------
Alex

Led Zeppelin HellYa Sweet
unregistered
posted Sep-30-2005 06:38 PM           Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Meh people been posting some unreal times.

at your average invetation for high school you get might get a few kids going under 4.30, but id say mid pack is about 4.50 4.55 in varsity. For, Freshman u might get one "out of this world" kid running sub-5.00.
In philly, Archbishop Wood, had a kid ran under 4.40 in Freshman year i watched him do it. But that is just beyond amazing. He stopped running to go out for wrestling though. its a shame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To give anything less than ur best is to Sacrifice the Gift"
Pre

wayne5000
posted Oct-01-2005 12:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wayne5000   Click Here to Email wayne5000     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
4:40ish seems to be very mediocre in texas, idk about other places.

Professor
Cool Runner
posted Oct-02-2005 07:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Professor     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
a little off-topic, but related to the subject of fast freshman...at the invitational i went to yesterday the girl who won the freshman race got 8:17--thats 1.5mi xc! i did some research on her and found out that shes actually in 8th grade. last year she ran a mile in track in 5:11.7--as a 7th grader! talk about "out of this world"...

------------------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

vectorman3099
posted Oct-05-2005 11:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for vectorman3099   Click Here to Email vectorman3099     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A little tip for going sub 5:00 is it is almost all mental. You can do all of the training in the world but if you do not believe in yourself, you will never do it. Have faith and patience.

All times are Eastern Time (US). > next newest topic | > next oldest topic
Post a new topic    
Administrative Options: > Close Topic | > Archive/Move | > Delete Topic

Hop to: